Best promotions.

RWB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: these all take normal capmaign into account. I'll post changes if you want CC later on.

Franz: Paladin. This is mainly because he doesn't really axes, and it allows him to keep up with his likely support partner, Seth, whereas he gets left behind as a GK.

Gilliam: Great Knight. Great Shield is nice and all, but he really would prefer the extra move so that he can at least stay with the party.

Moulder: Sage. Bishop's Slayer isn't really necessary agains anything not called a Cyclops, and those are somewhat rare. In any case, they can also be taken down easily by other units. The extra mag and Anima's additional might lets him do more damage to human enemies.And he gets to use Elfire instanty :)

Vanessa: Wyvern Knight. Falcoknight has less Def, but Wyvern Knight has Pierce, which really helps out on offense if she can't get a ORKO. And the triangle attack isn't exactly the best thing in the world.

Ross: Pirate -> Berserker. Basically, Waterwalk + Additional crit = Nice.

Garcia: Hero. Swords > Bows, and even though Garcia has a lower Str cap as a Hero, he'll get a bit more Spd, which he really needs.

Neimi: Ranger. Additional move + Swords >>> Sure Shot.

Colm: Quite debateale as well, but go Assassin. He can take a Lockpick if he needs, which isn't exactly expensive, which allws him to pick chests. Also, IMO, Lethality > Stealing.

Artur: Sage. See Moulder.

Lute: Mage Knight. She gets additional con, which she really needs, and additional move, which is sweet. Light magic is ehh, and she doesn't need the extra cap of Sage due to her already impressive Mag.

Natasha: Bishop, so that she can actually kill stuff.

Joshua: Swordmaster. He doesn't need Lethality, since he OHKOs most enemies in the game with a crit, and he gets more of that as an SM.

Kyle: Paladin. It's the extra movement that wrks in Paladin's favour.

Forde: Paladin. See reasoning for Kyle.

Tana: Wyvern Knight. See Vanessa.

Amelia: Cavalier -> Paladin. See reasoning for Forde.

Gerik: Hero. Axes >>> Bows, and it lets him get 1~2 range.

Marisa: Swordmaster. See Joshua, except not really ORKOing as much.

L'Arachel: Mage Knight, if only because Anima > Light.

Ewan: Shaman -> Druid. He gets both Dark and Anima magic, which is pretty cool. Flux and Nosferatu are good Darkness spells, and Anima is also rather okay, though Flux should suffice. You don't need 2 Summonersat once as well.

Cormag: Wyvern Knight. Pierce & +3 Spd boost > Swords.

Knoll: Summoner. He can at least spawn summons while being protected. It helps a lot with durability and distractions.

In CC, make Lute a Sage instead, and maybe make Kyle and Forde GKs.

You could have done that yourself. I'll only do it for a few of the characters to spite you. And I have to get ready for class.

Kyle: Great Knight , beefy, access to the main triangle weapon types.

Lute: Both of them actually. Sage: Overkill Mag, light and staves. MK: Horse and staves.

Knoll: Druid, cooler, Anima and staves.

Gilliam: General, awesome armor, access to the main triangle weapons, best critical with a lance

Erika/Ephraim: Great Lord, horse and weapon experience.

This:

http://serenesforest...showtopic=13857

Except Kyle, Gerik and L'arachel (if I were to use her).

Kyle as Paladin if his SPD is alright at the time (not screwed in other words).

Mage Knight for L'arachel because Anima >>> Light with no Slayer and that +1 RES Valkyrie has over Mage Knight means nothing to me.

Gerik as Ranger because my teams are typically loaded with mounted and he's pretty darn good in the frontline. A shame he doesn't get Hand Axes on this path.

I think Forde as a Paladin, don't recall.

Edited by Zetta

Franz: Great Knight or Paladin both go with him. :awesome:

Gilliam: General it is, he gets SLIGHTLY better Str & Def caps, but I take advantage of his +3 Spd, it is quite needed despite enemies having average or below average Spd. Mov isn't really a problem.

Ross: Journeyman > Pirate > Rosserker. Nuff' said.

Vanessa: Pegasus Knight. Her Str isn't all too well, her +2 Def benefits her well, using swords isn't such a bad addition either.

Moulder: Bishop. He kills EVERYTHING at the Tower of Valni and Ladgou Ruins.

Colm: Assassin. Very useful when it comes to the Tower of Valni and other after game events, especially with an A support with Neimi.

Neimi: Again, either promotions are great with her, but I'd say Ranger is the most useful for 1-2 range.

Artur: Sage. High magic, decent Spd and Resistance, defeneatly makes up for it.

Lute: Sage or Mage Knight. Both are great for her.

Natasha: Like Moulder, kills everything, has better dodge, magic and resistance.

Joshua: Swordmaster, obviously. :hat:

Forde: Paladin. His Spd & Skill are decent for the job.

Kyle: Great Knight. Turns out more tanky than the other cavaliers, higher Strength and decent Spd will get him to manage to become a better GK than Gilliam and Duessel.

Tana: Wyern Knight. Her Str is better than Vanessa's, her Skill is decent, her Spd & Luck are great. She'll dodge reliably, even more than Venessa.

Amelia: Anything. Just anything will do. I mean it.

Gerik: Hero. You'd just have to be joking to actually promote him to a ranger when Hero is the best choice, he will have great Hit even when wielding axes.

Marisa: Swordmaster. Mainly because her Str isn't all that good, but the enemies aren't so tanky either, so with high critical and dodge she will manage.

L'Arachel: Valkyrie. I don't really have a good reason, I just hate her Mage Knight sprite...looks so generic and ugly on her, she is also a light magic user by default, the princess of Frelia.

Ewan: Much like Amelia, it won't matter which path he takes, he's great as anything.

Cormag: Defeneatly Wyern Lord. Well, first of all it's because you already have Tana to fill in that spot, second, it takes more advantage of his Str and and actually gives him a Defense bonus, third, the Wyern Knight Spd cap is a little high, he should double just about fine as a Wyern Lord. Like Vanessa, swords aren't a bad addition.

Knoll: Knoll makes a great Summoner, Phantoms can be used as good decoys, they will also level up at the same time he does, his Phantoms have the best growths than the others, by the way.

So that's all I have, although, I do take different promotion paths for everyone exept Gilliam on everyone of my runs.

Although I agree with Hero!Gerik, I tried out Gerik as a Ranger this PT, 'accidentally' prepromoting him. He turned out fairly stellar, and him, Innes, Neimi and Warrior!Ross {I had never actually had a Warrior before} proved a destructive back (and front) line. Gerik only just got to B Swords, though. I've also never had problems with GK Forde, although the caps don't really fit him that well.

Still, Rosszerker and Hero Gerik are statistically probably best.

Franz: Paladin. He's good either way, but he strikes me more as a paladin

Gilliam: Great Knight. Great Shield only helps if you actually get to the action.

Moulder: Bishop for Slayer. He's still great as a sage, though

Vanessa: Either.

Ross: Pirate -> Berserker. Crit AND better speed.

Garcia: Hero. Swords and speed > Bows

Neimi: Ranger. Additional move + Swords >>> Sure Shot.

Colm: Rogue. No lockpick needed and he just seems more like a rogue than an assassin.

Artur: Bishop. See Moulder.

Lute: Mage Knight. She has enough magic anyways, and the extra move is nice since I generally have a mostly mounted team.

Natasha: Bishop. See Artur.

Joshua: Assassin. Gets a lot more experience which easily outweighs slightly better promo gains and caps.

Kyle: GK. He's like Duessel 2.0

Forde: Paladin. See Franz.

Tana: See Vanessa.

Amelia: Cavalier -> Paladin. See Forde.

Gerik: Hero. Axes >>> Bows

Marisa: Assassin. See Joshua and add that Lethality actually helps her, too. Oh, and she doesn't really care about the STR cap.

L'Arachel: Mage Knight. Anima > Light.

Ewan: Shaman -> Summmoner. That way he can do SOMETHING helpful.

Cormag: Wyvern Knight. Pierce + 3 Spd boost > Swords.

Knoll: Summoner. I hope that I don't need to explain this one.

Franz: Paladin, he can go as either one, but I'm taking likely support partners into account.

Gilliam: Either one would do. but I say go Great Knight.

Moulder: Bishop. Nuff said.

Vanessa: Wyvern Knight, Triangle Attack is overrated.

Ross: Journeyman(2)/Fighter -> Hero, only one Ocean Seal for most of the game, and he may want some swords his way.

Garcia: Hero, Swords > Bows, and he wants a little extra speed.

Neimi: Ranger, Swords and extra movement > Sure shot

Colm: Rogue, won't have to buy lockpicks anymore.

Artur: Sage, why not take advantage of his growths?

Lute: Sage, even though Mage Knight is great for her too, I'm listing this for support reasons.

Natasha: Bishop. Nuff said.

Joshua: Swordmaster, period.

Kyle: Great Knight, although either one, works.

Tana: See Vanessa

Amelia: Anything may work for her, but have her go Cavalier -> Paladin.

Gerik: Hero, Axes > Bows.

Marisa: See Joshua

L'arachel: Mage Knight, Anima > Light

Cormag: Wyvern Knight

Ewan: Just anything

Knoll: Summoner

What I've personally gathered. :P

not CC, here.

Franz: Paladin. His stats are easily good enough to handle a little stat loss in exchange for that extra movement, which lets him keep up with Seth. The only thing that really bugs me is the loss of the full triangle, and axes in general. :P

Gilliam: Great Knight. Yeah, He gets better stats as a General, but he will lag behind horribly.

Moulder: Sage. Better stats, instant Elfire, and slayer isn't all THAT useful outside CC.

Vanessa: Wyvern Knight. This I base on con, she might need those heavier weapons to do good damage. While the Falcoknight has 2 more HP, and 1 more def and res as well as swords(to abuse the triangle for more avoid), Vanessa's marvelous natural avoid as well as full avoid supports really make the falcoknight's strong points moot.

Ross: Fighter -> Hero. I saw a good argument on this, and swords seemed to weigh up the berserkers stat advantage- what with the extra avoid and hit he gets against the axe and sword users. It also means he doesn't need to take away the Ocean Seal Colm might use better.

Garcia: Hero. He wants speed, and swords can come in handy against some of the dodgier enemies.

Neimi: Ranger. Let's see... It loses 2 hp and 1 str as well as Sure Shot. In exchange, it gets 1 more def and res, which are more worth than than that HP, and it gets 3 con as well, so it can equip stronger weapons.

And of course it gets 1 range and extra movement. This one's a no-brainer.

Colm: Rogue. Removes the need for lockpicks and lets him continue stealing. It's not all that inferior to the Assassin battlewise either- 1 less con and one less HP+lethality.

Artur: Sage. While 1 mag>1 HP, the lighter and all around stronger Anima magic is a larger gain than Slayer, at least in the main story.

Lute: Mage Knight. 1 extra res and def does little to help her, while that 2 extra con is a godsent, and she also has suprior magic and movement. Light magic is of little use.

Natasha: Bishop. While she's very slightly superior in stats as a valkyrie and gets 1 more move, that is a bit too little to beat out Slayer. if you do not intend to use her vs monsters... go Valkyrie, unless you want that extra staff skill(+40 w.exp).

Joshua: Swordmaster. 2 more HP, 1 more str, 1 more con+much better caps>Lethality+1 more res. Lockpicks do make the Assassin a viable choice, though. :P

Kyle: Either. If he gets at least decent speed, Paladin might be a better choice, with that extra move. the 1 extra speed and 3 more con+axes makes the Great Knight a superior choice for him every now and then.

Forde: Paladin. He doesn't get that speed problem Kyle has, and his offensive power is easily high enough. Those axes look lovely, but I value that +2 move more.

Tana: Wyvern Knight. Again, the Falco has slightly superior defenses and swords, but the con is much more valuable due to their low natural con.

Amelia: Cavalier->Paladin. Movement is needed for her. She comes underlevelled, and if she cannot even keep up with the group, she's not gonna get much exp. Great Knight's stat advantages(which are smaller for females) do not beat out that +2 move. General might win statwise, but that +3 move is a big edge in favor of Paladin.

Gerik: Hero. While the stat boost from Ranger is arguably superior, Hero has one big advantage that also completely beats out everything the ranger has to offer.

Reliable 1-2 range in the form of hand axes.

Marisa: Swordmaster. This one is rather arguable depending on playstyle. The Swordmaster win combat easily, it only gets one less spd, but makes up for it with 1 more con. However, the Assassin can use lockpicks.

L'arachel: Mage Knight. It gets C level Anima as opposed to D level Light. Anima is already better than Light. Valkyrie gets 1 more res, which technically makes it statwise superior, but nobody cares about that.

Cormag: Wyvern Knight in Eirika's, Wyvern Lord in Ephraim's. That +3 spd at promotion is very useful in Eirika's story due to Cormag coming later and underlevelled. In Ephraim's story, he comes earlier with good enough speed to double. His rather good spd growth make him stay that way(and he gets two extra levels of growth), and thus he doesn't need that +3, instead he gets superior stats everywhere else+swords.

Ewan: Druid. While the time he spends as a shaman isn't all that hot, once he goes Druid he gets his best speed+best con. Oh, and he gets those shiny staves too. Admittedly, this promotion is a bit frail. :P

Knoll: Summoner. Knoll is best of promoting right off the bat and becoming a healer, since no matter what you make him, he'll still suck at combat. By going summoner, he gets another utility tool beside staves.

Edited by RWB

I don't think that people know that Assassins get an EXP boost. I saw someone (RFof?) do a comparison, and at identical levels, SM Joshua would get 20 EXP from an enemy while Assassin Joshua would get 46. Marisa and her underleveled self would probably get >50 EXP per kill, which she'd just love. Until she wasn't underleveled anymore. Then she'd be getting ~40. And it's not like Marisa minds the STR cap. That's the only reason I see Joshua wanting SM.

Edit: Oh, and why do people say that Ewan should go Druid? I mean, unless you're tower abusing him, Summons will be way better than his own offense, and he still gets staves.

Edited by Slize

I don't think that people know that Assassins get an EXP boost. I saw someone (RFof?) do a comparison, and at identical levels, SM Joshua would get 20 EXP from an enemy while Assassin Joshua would get 46. Marisa and her underleveled self would probably get >50 EXP per kill, which she'd just love. Until she wasn't underleveled anymore. Then she'd be getting ~40. And it's not like Marisa minds the STR cap. That's the only reason I see Joshua wanting SM.

Edit: Oh, and why do people say that Ewan should go Druid? I mean, unless you're tower abusing him, Summons will be way better than his own offense, and he still gets staves.

I knew they got Exp boosts, but from what I heard, wasn't that only if they killed the enemy with Silencer?

If this is a permanent thing instead, yeah, Marisa is definitely gonna want to be an Assassin due to faster level growth.

A similar case could be argued for Joshua- he definitely isn't short on critical even without that SM boost(lol supports).

I think I heard something similar about Bishops, though.

And yeah, you're probably right about Ewan. Too bad his summons are worse than Knolls, but still.

What find weird is how people talk about how awesome Druid Ewan is with Flux... Summoner Ewan has the same con, same spd, same mag and more skl, so he uses Flux BETTER. Their only stat differences otherwise are that the Druid has 1 more HP and def, while the summoner has 1 more res.

Druid Ewan should be using Thunder, which has 1 more mt than flux anyway. :P

But seriously how much 1 mt worth? More than those summons? Hardly.

Elfire takes away 2 AS from Ewan, and beats out summoner flux by 3 mt. That means he may actually lose his doubling, though.

Once he hits S Anima, Druid Ewan will obviously slaughter Summoner Ewan in battle power- same AS as Flux Summoner(who doesn't really want heavier tomes), and 11 more MT- and that is before super effect vs monsters.

But Druid Ewan will not hit S anima in the storyline without MASSIVE BABYING.

And for ewan to take the anima rout means he either:

A. Mage->Sage: loses 2 spd and 1 con, 1 mag. Ewan may need that speed. Mage Ewan will beat out Shaman Ewan slightly, though(2 more AS, 1 less MT).

B. Mage->Mage Knight: loses 3 spd, but no con or mag. Needs that speed. Arguably better than Sage Ewan though, with superior mag and movement.

C. Pupil(2)->Sage: loses 4 spd and 1 con but no mag. Horrible choice. Also, Shaman Ewan>Pupil(2) Ewan.

D. Pupil(2)->(Super)Pupil: loses 3 spd and 3 con, but gets 1 more mag in exchange. Yeah, this one is horrible.

Yeah, I'd say summoners utility>Druid's not that impressive battle advantage, at least before CC. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

There is no such thing as "Better stats" because of the class, I think you meant "Better caps", because the Sage promotional gains defeneatly suck, he isn't doing much better. Why does he need better caps anything? He's double anything and gets much more usefulness in this ame for having Slayer.

There is no such thing as "Better stats" because of the class, I think you meant "Better caps", because the Sage promotional gains defeneatly suck, he isn't doing much better. Why does he need better caps anything? He's double anything and gets much more usefulness in this ame for having Slayer.

Better stats because of the class he promotes to do indeed exist, promotional gains lol.

I'm 99% sure that the bonus is permanent. I'd say that SM is better if you're doing CC, but I don't think that most people really do enough in CC for it to matter much.

It isn't. Also, I don't really see the usefulness of Silencer when most enemies die easily to a normal critical.

A similar case could be argued for Joshua- he definitely isn't short on critical even without that SM boost(lol supports).

I beg to differ; All but two of his support partners are Ice affinity.

Franz: He can go either way. I made him a Great Knight this time. Im not a huge fan of that class since their move is meh for a mounted unit.

Vanessa: Falcon Knight.

Tana: Falcon Knight. Shes just badass. I dont like Wyvern Knights.

Ross: Berserker. Hes ok as a Warrior but hes much better as a Berserker. (if you make him a Hero, just....no..)

Gerik: RANGER! I do not approve of Hero Gerik.

Neimi: Anyone who makes her a sniper should be shot.

Amelia: Paladin

Natasha: Bishop. Oh the spam!

L'Arachel: Valkyrie. Again, the spam!

Artur: Bishop cuz Bishops are broken.

Moulder: Bishop (see above)

Lute: Sage

Ewan: he can go any direction really but i like him as a Mage Knight! Yay move!

Forde: Paladin. Hes ok as Great Knight too.

Kyle: Paladin of Tankness!

Garcia: Usually Warrior.

Gilliam: GENERAL!!!

Joshua: Swordmaster. never EVER make him an assassin.

Colm: Rogue. He works well as an assassin too but i like Pick.

Marisa: Swordmaster.

Cormag: Wyvern Lord. (thats the traditional Wyvern promotion, right? Not that stupid one with Pierce?)

Knoll: Summoner. hes so useful that way.

Ross: Berserker. Hes ok as a Warrior but hes much better as a Berserker. (if you make him a Hero, just....no..)
No different than the other amount of advice given for Ross. However, I will ask this: What makes you think Berserker is the best way to go for Ross? You only have one Ocean Seal for 90% of the game, and that really puts you in a pickle if you wanna promote Colm. Hero is actually and arguably the best way to go for Ross. He doesn't need bows because Hand Axes already allow him to attack indirectly. He'll want swords for WTM, and it's not like he'll reach the Berserker caps.
Gerik: RANGER! I do not approve of Hero Gerik.
Give me one good reason why Gerik would want bows instead of axes. Hand Axes will give him 1-2 range, not to mention he'll want to be in support range should he support anyone.
Garcia: Usually Warrior.
Swords > Bows, and he'll want the speed bonus.

Better stats because of the class he promotes to do indeed exist, promotional gains lol.

But those AREN'T better stats, not even in promotional gains:

Level 20/1 Bishop Moulder:

HP: 34

Mag: 12

Skill: 15

Spd: 15

Def: 9

Res: 11

Level 20/1 Sage Moulder:

HP: 35

Mag: 11

Skill: 14

Res: 12

As you can see, the only stats the are above Bishop Moulder's are HP and Resistance, but just by +1.

That isn't having better stats, you know. Slayer totally makes up for his low magic, despite anima having slightly more Mt it doesn't make him much stronger.

You'll also see the game is filled with monsters slightly after he promotes. Sage Moulder is just a waste of Elfire when you could buy him a normal Lightning as a Bishop and kill anything along your path, it's also a waste when you could have Sage Artur who makes a much better Sage due to higher magic and resistance, he will also promote earlier.

Could've sworn it was permanent. Well, scratch that then, SM all the way.

"On occasion, the Assassin will perform a special lethal attack, in which they will defeat an enemy in a single attack, regardless of HP and Defense. This skill is known as Lethality. An Assassin's Critical hit has a 50% chance of being a lethal attack. Lethality can even be used on bosses (except final bosses), but with 25% of the Critical hit rate rather than 50%. Also when an Assassin activates a lethal attack the experience they gain from killing the enemy is roughly double the experience they would of earned if they had killed the enemy through normal methods."

From the fire emblem wiki.

Yeah, seems like SM is the way to go.

But those AREN'T better stats, not even in promotional gains:

Level 20/1 Bishop Moulder:

HP: 34

Mag: 12

Skill: 15

Res: 11

Level 20/1 Sage Moulder:

HP: 35

Mag: 11

Skill: 14

Res: 12

As you can see, the only stats the are above Bishop Moulder's are HP and Resistance, but just by +1.

That isn't having better stats, you know. Slayer totally makes up for his low magic, despite anima having slightly more Mt it doesn't make him much stronger.

You'll also see the game is filled with monsters slightly after he promotes. Sage Moulder is just a waste of Elfire when you could buy him a normal Lightning as a Bishop and kill anything along your path, it's also a waste when you could have Sage Artur who makes a much better Sage due to higher magic and resistance, he will also promote earlier.

Wow, you're right. Must have looked at the wrong promotion gains. But that instant Elfire is worth a lot more than you think.

It has no AS loss, and allows him to do 6 more damage versus lightning against non-monsters- 12 if he doubles.

Lightning with slayer only beats Elfire out by 2. You're better off using shine, which has 4 less MT than Elfire but gets 8 more mt than Elfire if slayer is active.

I still want to see a list of the enemies. If there's very few enemies that he'd be useful with Elfire against, he's better off as a Bishop.

Monsters are feeble anyway. Now Last Hope, there's a challenge.

I'm convinced now it doesn't matter what either Ross or Gerik promote to. I've tried Gerik as both (Hero was a fair bit better, but Ranger was mildly speedscrewed, and never got weapon levels above B...still a reliable character as ever) and Ross as a Warrior (I don't think anyone's arguing that Warriors are best. Ross was a beast and I gave Dozla the Tomahawk.) However, for practical reasons I'm going with Hero Ross. Also, with Ross' strength you prob'ly won't need to crit much anyway.

EDIT: I admit the Bishops will be very useful against, say, Dracozombies. But they can be killed easily enough with good tactics and Sacred weapons.

(This is all with main campaign, non-Tower abused mindset)

Edited by The Ferret Whisperer