FE8 - archer hack

Tables

This is fairly simple. Everyone is changed into an archer class - Archer, Shooter or Bowfighter for unpromoted units, or Sniper, Bow Knight or Marksman for promoted units. There are also trainees, thieves and assassins who use bows. Any indirect change to do with this (such as shop content - lots of bows, or promotion items - Orion's Bolts) have also been made, but nothing else in terms of enemies or character stats (except I made a mistake with thieves and couldn't be bothered to change it, so enemy theives use bows as well).

I've played through Eirika's mode, but not Ephraim's mode, so there might be a small problem or two in it. Chances are, it's all fine though.

Finally, as I've complained before, FEditor Adv hates me and I can't change text properly, so thanks to Krad for doing the text editing for me.

FE8 - archers mode.zip

(This is the working version now)

Edited by I eat tables

I downloaded it and the IPS-thingy, when I started the prologue and tried to look at Seths statscreen it told me I need a bios file, and it started beeping... :blink:

EDIT: not chapter 1, prologue...

Edited by whase

I downloaded it and the IPS-thingy, when I started the prologue and tried to look at Seths statscreen it told me I need a bios file, and it started beeping... :blink:

EDIT: not chapter 1, prologue...

I had a similar problem.When i checked Seth's stats,the rom crashed

It does the same for Gilliam,but not for Eirika

Edited by Ether

Hmm, that's strange :-/. That sounds scarily similar to what happens when I edit text... I'll test it now and see what happens.

Edit: Well, we have the worst kind of problem here: CNR (Could not reproduce). I'm not sure, but I might have accidentally applied an edit to the original 'unaltered' file, although as far as I can tell it looks normal. So... poop :(

Edit2: Actually, I'm fairly sure I didn't do that either. So I have no idea what's causing the problem, but from the sound of things it's going to be whenever you try to view edited text. I presume it also freezes if you look at Franz? Can you possibly take a screenshot of what happens?

Edited by I eat tables

Hmm, that's strange :-/. That sounds scarily similar to what happens when I edit text... I'll test it now and see what happens.

Edit: Well, we have the worst kind of problem here: CNR (Could not reproduce). I'm not sure, but I might have accidentally applied an edit to the original 'unaltered' file, although as far as I can tell it looks normal. So... poop :(

Well,this is the window that shows up:

Unsupported BIOS function 2e called from 03007d24. A BIOS file is needed in order to get correct behavior.

I dunno what this means,but any input would be appreciated.

Yeah, okay, that's exactly what I thought would happen - the same thing which happens when I edit text. Which makes me wonder, maybe I have an unusual ROM compared to other people? If it is though, I'd have to edit everything again to get it to work, which I assure you I have no intention of doing :(. Moulder works because his class name is unchanged (archer), everyone else is a Bowfighter or Shooter. Unfortunately, I'm completely lost for solutions. I'll try remaking the patch from my file, but I can't say I have high hopes of it working.

Edit: I'm not sure, I presume he used FEditor Adv like me, all he sent me was a patch.

Edited by I eat tables

(This one doesn't work either, apparently)

Right... I doubt it'll help, but try this anyway, since in theory it's identical to the last file, but computers are strange things sometimes (if you rename the new file the same thing as the old one, you can continue your save where you got to).

Edited by I eat tables

Bah. Short of sending the hacked ROM (which I'm not allowed to do), I have no idea what I can do now :(. Sorry people.

The only thing I can possibly think of, and it seems a lot of effort to me, is to try and find the same ROM I've used, which is called TRM-FESS. (Erm... am I allowed to say that or is that a breach of rules?)

Edited by I eat tables

Bah. Short of sending the hacked ROM (which I'm not allowed to do), I have no idea what I can do now :(. Sorry people.

The only thing I can possibly think of, and it seems a lot of effort to me, is to try and find the same ROM I've used, which is called TRM-FESS. (Erm... am I allowed to say that or is that a breach of rules?)

:o I think I have that one somewhere! *searching*

EDIT: yes, I have a file called like that, but it doesn't work on that one either.

maybe it's not the right one...

Edited by whase

Your best bet might be leaving off the text edits. I hope you have a patch or ROM somewhere like that or else you'd have to do it all over again.

Third time lucky, right? I don't know what the difference between them is, but using a new rom to make the patch gave graphical glitches when applying it to the old rom, so there must be some difference, right :P?

Anyway, there was one problem in that edits apparently went beyond the 16MB limit - I'm not entirely sure what this is, but since the end of the ROM (normally) contains empty data, my guess is it's edited effectiveness pointers and things which shouldn't matter much.

FE8 - archers mode.zip

(Waits for someone to say it doesn't work)

Edited by I eat tables

Whoo!

As I think I've said elsewhere (but not here) this was actually a quick hack done for a friend, released here just because it's the logical place and someone (17Master) was interested in it. So to that end, I'm not bothered about sprites and things, but if I come back to this, that might be the first thing I change.