DDSOL translation patch

Hyperactive

I'm honestly surprised that to this date, there is no known translation patch for the original Fire Emblem game for the NES. I know that Shadow Dragon was released as a remake of the said game, but Shadow Dragon's additions were an incredibly large disappointment to the series, and I also heard that Marth's personality was changed from the Japanese version of the game. I want to see the original game in its translation, so I can experience what Fire Emblem truly was from back then.

Is ANYBODY working on this?

Nobody's working on it that I'm aware of. Plenty of people have played through the game in Japanese, though. One former member here, Nephinel, is doing a playthrough of the game on Youtube.

If this is all about the original story, you can probably get it better from FE3 Book I anyway. FE3 has a good translation patch, and though I haven't played FE1 from what I've seen it's better in every way.

This is probably the reason there's little demand for FE1 to be translated.

Edited by Hero

If this is all about the original story, you can probably get it better from FE3 Book I anyway. FE3 has a good translation patch, and though I haven't played FE1 from what I've seen it's better in every way.

This is probably the reason there's little demand for FE1 to be translated.

FE3 is better but there are some changes, so if you're still looking for the 100% true Fire Emblem, then you'll need to play FE1. I'm not sure of any complete patches but there are some basic ones. You can try here, google showed me this page and this site might also have some old basic patch.

Edited by Luffy

I want to see the original game in its translation, so I can experience what Fire Emblem truly was from back then.

This is an impossibility. The second you rely on a translation you distance yourself from the original context and intent, and instead rely on another's to convey what was meant to be conveyed. The best you can do is learn and translate the text yourself--and even then, you're going to misinterpret the character however you want to--the character you form will be based on the information you--the translator--has gathered and referenced. And as such, it will be biased relative to yourself and outside of the original writer/creator.

As for why, aside from a lack of interest, the game also has mean pointers that don't really like to be changed. I'm sure they're an easy fix for anyone who's even bothering to translate the game with more intent than a passing glance (not me), but as most fans are not as interested, those who do jump in usually "can't" start. And those who do, lose interest. DarknessSaviour at romhacking.net was the last "public" person to work on the game, I think, and made use of a small hack by KingMike to expand text lines to two instead of one--though that patch killed the shop routines, if memory serves.

Instead, read the text yourself.