What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

Just finished watching Arpeggio of Blue Steel last night. It was alright I guess. The ship battles looked fantastic but the computer animated character models had some pretty herky-jerky movements. Looked unnatural. The manga so far looks much better plot-wise though.

As a side note, the Japanese must really love them some submarines. This is at least the third super advanced submarine based anime I've seen.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You misunderstood. When I said original filler content in the anime, I meant filler content that are original to the anime adaptation and are not even present in the VN.

You're still generalizing the western VN community on to me (I'm not even from the west, lol). There are some VN adaptations that I was really pleased with, such as Clannad and Steins;Gate, even though all of those adaptations changed or cut off a lot of stuff. I don't think F/SN is an especially complex story to adapt. It's not like something like Sharin no Kuni or Ever17 which would only work well in the VN medium. The content in each of the F/SN routes could easily be adapted into a very solid anime. And in fact, I'd say that the first season was adapted really well too. It's only in the second half where they ended up messing everything up except the epic action sequences.

I had high hopes for ufotable too, because their Kara no Kyoukari and Fate/Zero adaptations were great. Well, except for Oblivion Recorder in KnK and Berserker's death in F/Z, but everything else was good enough to make up for those shortcomings imo. But with Fate/Stay Night? They're really messing up the second season and I'm not quite sure what they're trying to do to it.

Also, since you compared F/Z and UBW's lengths earlier, I decided to do some research on this. Baka-Tsuki's translation of Fate/Zero is 303,437 words (not including postface and stuff like that) while UBW is at 219,495 words, not including alternate choices and Bad Ends. Fate/Zero as a whole is already longer than UBW and I would argue that UBW has a lot more unnecessary scenes that could be cut off from an adaptation *cough*cooking*cough*. So if ufotable was able to pull off such a great Fate/Zero adaptation, with extra room to extend Rin's story into an entire episode and Kiritsugu's backstory into two episodes, I think they are very capable of turning UBW into a solid anime like they did with Fate/Zero.

Well, I'm not pointing you out specifically. There was another user here that summed up my thoughts. I realize that not everyone thinks that way, it's just more of an unfortunate observation I made while hanging around the vn community.

If we are going to argue length then page count would be the best way to go about it. Word count is going to be bloated with conjunctions and flavor text from the translation process.

So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I believe that people new to the f/sn universe can watch ufotable's adaptation and get a satisfactory experience without having to read the vn.

Edited by Maou

So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I believe that people new to the f/sn universe can watch ufotable's adaptation and get a satisfactory experience without having to read the vn.

I can attest to that.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie almost got picked for movie night at my school's anime club, but it got outvoted by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I have never seen Jojo before, so I'm excited for this.

also people instead of watching the anime of UBW read the VN. It's probably much better than the anime

Why not both? UBW was my favorite route so far, but I'll watch the anime just to see it voiced and properly animated. If there are some changes that aren't much significant, even better, since it'll be a slightly different experience.

I'm watching JoJo and Kill la Kill. I thought the latter was a fanservice fest with little to no plot, but it's actually interesting. There's a lot of fanservice, yes, yet the characters are much more than they seem in the first chapters.

UBW is on my list. Owari no Seraph seems cool, from what I saw in MAL. I've read most of the Akame ga Kill manga, loved it, but it's been such a long time that I feel like watching the anime adaptation now. I just need more time. =P

You misunderstood. When I said original filler content in the anime, I meant filler content that are original to the anime adaptation and are not even present in the VN.

You're still generalizing the western VN community on to me (I'm not even from the west, lol). There are some VN adaptations that I was really pleased with, such as Clannad and Steins;Gate, even though all of those adaptations changed or cut off a lot of stuff. I don't think F/SN is an especially complex story to adapt. It's not like something like Sharin no Kuni or Ever17 which would only work well in the VN medium. The content in each of the F/SN routes could easily be adapted into a very solid anime. And in fact, I'd say that the first season was adapted really well too. It's only in the second half where they ended up messing everything up except the epic action sequences.

I had high hopes for ufotable too, because their Kara no Kyoukari and Fate/Zero adaptations were great. Well, except for Oblivion Recorder in KnK and Berserker's death in F/Z, but everything else was good enough to make up for those shortcomings imo. But with Fate/Stay Night? They're really messing up the second season and I'm not quite sure what they're trying to do to it.

Also, since you compared F/Z and UBW's lengths earlier, I decided to do some research on this. Baka-Tsuki's translation of Fate/Zero is 303,437 words (not including postface and stuff like that) while UBW is at 219,495 words, not including alternate choices and Bad Ends. Fate/Zero as a whole is already longer than UBW and I would argue that UBW has a lot more unnecessary scenes that could be cut off from an adaptation *cough*cooking*cough*. So if ufotable was able to pull off such a great Fate/Zero adaptation, with extra room to extend Rin's story into an entire episode and Kiritsugu's backstory into two episodes, I think they are very capable of turning UBW into a solid anime like they did with Fate/Zero.

I was gonna make a post regarding the F/SN UBW anime, but after seeing Proto's I can say I really have no need to make one.

I'm pretty sure everyone that hasn't played the visual novel but watches this anime loves it so it's a pretty damn anime if you ask me. It should be more about getting people immersed in the world/series than being a more accurate adaptation imo and it's doing a good job at that at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have some anime suggestions? Unlimited Blade Works is basically the only one I'm watching currently, and it's kind of hard to wait week by week.

Looking for something with (little to) no cheesecake exploitation of women, (little to) no annoying otaku culture insider jokes, and all the moe on a tight leash. Just good story, good characters, and having high quality animation and action helps.

I also like the Avatar series for whatever that's worth.

You have never heard about Knights of Sidonia, have you?

I'm watching "Fight! Iczer-1"

Space lesbians fighting each other and killing cthulhu monsters. Also giant robots.

Just finished watching Death Parade. I was incredibly skeptical going in due to the Madhouse art style, as well as the opening which seemed to completely contrast the mood that the show was trying to convey, but about halfway through I had grown to love the main characters' interactions and that ending was beautiful, simply perfect.

I'll miss this show but even though there were loose ends that need tying up, I doubt they could make another season as spectacular as this one.

Edit: And good God that OST was brilliant.

Edited by Xander

Currently watching Danmachi and I can't wait for the next episode tomorrow. Also I just finished reading the Deadman Wonderland manga. Has anyone else read that? I thought it was really good and made me feel during the last issue.