What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally completed my Fullmetal Alchemist manga set so I will be finishing that series soon.  I am atching Saiyuki Reload Blast which is great I am so glad to Saiyuki getting a new anime since it is in my top five list, but I think it my be two seasons since I can't see them having enough episodes left in this one to complete the story but I hope I am wrong because I want to see the end of the story.  

I haven't caught up on anime in a loooong time, so there's a bunch I need to get started on.

In manga, I've been catching up on Kakegurui, Real Account, Online - The Comic, and I would say Berserk, but uh....Berserk is on constant hiatus. xP

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched too many anime this year. The three I finished in 2017 were Attack on Titan Season 2, Re:Zero, and Steins;Gate.

I've been following the AoT manga ever since season 1 ended, so I was especially looking forward to season 2 since it would be adapting one of my favorite arcs in the series. Season 2 proved to live up to my expectations with a great adaptation of that same arc; there was only a few removals from the manga that bugged me, mainly in regards to some bits of character development for some of the characters. Other than that, I really enjoyed season 2 due to its memorable fights, some interesting plot twists, and that it fleshed out+developed the side characters so that I could care about them more. I look forward to seeing season 3 animated next year, especially since it will contain my favorite arc.

I watched all of Re:Zero shortly after finishing AoT Season 2, and I enjoyed it too.  I liked how it deconstructs the whole "transported to a fantasy world" genre by making the MC the complete opposite of an overpowered badass. I enjoyed following Subaru's adventure; he felt like a realistic character in the way he approached the environment and the other characters, as well as how he had to change the fate to help his friends using his Return to Death power. The story was good in my eyes, though it's clear this is meant to be a long-running series as there are a good number of unresolved mysteries in season 1. Rem also became one of my favorite anime characters after finishing the show. I remember not finding any reason to care for her until episode 11, where we learn her backstory and witnessed some great character development from her. Rem is a character who I relate to a lot: the two of us share very similar insecurities (self-confidence issues, self-confidence issues, and tendencies to compare ourselves with others), and we both develop a deep appreciation towards others when they give us compliments, to the point of wanting to give back in some way. She shares a lot of similarities to Takumi, a Fire Emblem character, who I really like, so that's another reason why I like her a lot.

Steins;Gate was an anime I just finished about a week ago, the OVA and the movie included. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series. The plot was fantastic, filled with some great twists, solid drama, and good humor. The story does start out slow at first as it takes several episodes to introduce the setting and the characters, but once episodes 10-12 come around, oh man does this series become very engaging! The cinematography was also well done, with some symbolic imagery that definitely added more impact to some of the scenes. The cast was also fantastic, with every character being enjoyable in their own right and contributing to the plot. Okabe Rintaro and Makise Kurisu, the two main leads, were my favorite characters. Okabe was a fantastic MC with a great personality. His chuunibyou tendencies made him very humorous to watch. I also admired his development throughout the show and how determined he was to help his friends. Makise Kurisu was another awesome character who I admired for her smart, cool-headed, and loyal nature, and she has a good backstory too. She's also a tsundere, but I think that trait made her character quite charming to the point she was a tsundere who I really liked. I also enjoyed her character development and the way she interacts with Okabe. The movie also humanized her character even further by giving her the main protagonist during it. Both her and Okabe have also become among my top favorite anime characters overall.

Edited by Erureido

Yeah, Steins;Gate was fun to watch. (By fun I mean agonizing D:)

The only new thing I'm following atm is Girls Last Tour, very chill manga.

Also been reading and watching all the Persona stuff, minus the original P4 anime which I saw a while back.

I got a really long list, but here's the main stuff:

No Game No Life

Fairy Tail (when it comes back next year)

Nisekoi (amazing show, and I'm more of a fantasy person)

Lucky Star

Yona of the Dawn (kinda like FE really)

Assassination Classroom

Fire Emblem OVA

That's just the major ones. 

From this season, I've been watching

-Made in Abyss, which was always good but swiftly stepped into 'great' territory recently.

-Kakegurui, a depressingly terrible gambling anime.

-Classroom of the Elite, a shitty, clichéd, dumb show desperately trying to pretend it's clever.

-The Smartphone Isekai crap, which is obviously the most boring thing ever and I'm only watching it due to a forum's game.

-Hero Academia S2, which has been pretty consistently good and enjoyable.

-Teekyu S9, a gift from the heavens in 2-minute packages.

-Re Creators, which has already ended and was, for the most part, a great watch. 

I have gotten into My Hero Academia over the last two months. I heard a lot of great things about it and was pleasantly surprised it actually lived up to its reputation. The characters are likable, the fights are at least always decent and the soundtrack and voices are great too. A lot of Classmates do seem destined  to go the route of Goku's human friends our the Konoha eleven though.  

While I can't say I watch it regularly I do at least keep track on the Boruto anime to some extend. I doubt its ever going to be the success Naruto was but its nice and I really appreciate the smaller scale. With Naruto swallowed up by its contrived lore and Uchiha bloat, and its later fights resembling Dragonball Z much more then they did the fights from Naruto I'd say a reboot in scale and story is very welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm re-watching Gungrave... it's still a problem anime for me...

EP 2-14 are amazing outside of occsionally foreshadowing shit in E10-11. (The Flash Forward EP 1 is also horrific). It's a really great yakuza show that turns horrible once it reaches what should have been the conclusion and then it turns into budget hellsing. EP 15-26 just plain suck. This is mostly because monster design's are all over the place and because of character assanitation (the guy known for his intelligence and computer work is a brute charather, a cool and  collected guy becomes a psychotic slasher, And I don't even want to mention helicopter legs, and the totally unnecessary extra POV charather) 

I mean the sci-fi part of the show has a couple redeeming qualities (Harry's final encounter with the former boss, little character moments like Harry trying to grant the wish of the abused clerk/manager, Bear flashing back to executing the one guy at the dock and resigning himself to being as wrong to him) . And obviously, seeing Harry get what he deserves is inherently satisfying, and I appreciate the theatrics of their conversation in 26, even if Harry isn't written well enough to deserve them(His breakdowns and assertions of being in the right vs really only wanting the respect of Brandon and not greater freedom work great up till 16-18ish, but in the last episodes the way it is handled just makes him seem dense)

Honestly, it's a show that reeks of potential- If the creators had just reigned in the urge to cash in on Hellsing and trust in their well written plot (as well as probbably settling for a shorter run than 26 because as great as Harry is, does require a more condensed format in order for him to retain the gravity that he has when he first "falls") Then it could easily be one of the shows that I universally recommend to people with no strings attached. What we got with the finished product- 13  wonderful episodes  in a mostly realistic yakuza settings (E10-11 foreshadow later Sci-fi, but not too much) And then 13 episodes of a bad action anime which unfortunately uses the established characters.... but even those 13 episdoes have handful of good scenes that are of interest to people who want resolution.

It is not  "bombastic" like some other gangaster/mafia anime, rather it is somewhat sombre and focuses on what the freedom of being in the mafia really means to two characters who once lived in a ghetto as street gang.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I finally after many years of just waiting, started Jojo.

Don't give up after season 1. It's only like 9 episodes. After that you're in for a wild ride. Season 3 being best season.