What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

i've been watching ergo proxy that show is so good

Talk to me again in a  week when you've been through it all - I'm really curious to see other people's opinions on it. Personally, I think it started strong, but that the writer's got really full of themselves by about 1/2-2/3rds of the way in, which lead to certain episodes that tried to shock you with genre/style shifts and the philosophical elemnts of the show giving up trying to be subtle and starting to beat you over the head.

I didn't expect to use this thread, but I've actually started trying to watch anime again, so here I am.

I'm currently watching through Dragon Ball (original, not Z), Ranma 1/2, and Boku no/My Hero Academia. I'm only halfway through season 1 of Dragon Ball because subs take dedication, but it's been a fun and creative show so far. Don't know if I'll continue to Z once I finish it, since Z seems to be pretty different style-wise and tone-wise, but I'll decide once I get there I suppose. Ranma 1/2 has most of my attention right now, thanks to having an easily-available dub and for just being a quirky and entertaining show. I didn't know it was a comedy when I started watching it, but it's gotten more laughs out of me than most other shows I've seen recently. I've just finished season 1 of BnHA, and it's a neat enough show, although I think it's held my interest the least out of these three shows. But I've been told that season 2 gets even better, so I'm definitely interested in continuing it once I find a dub for season 2.

This season I've been following Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou, the story of two girls surviving in a post-apocalyptic world. It's quite low-key, focusing on exploration and philosophy over action and drama, although Chito and Yuuri do get into a few sticky situations.

Another interesting show I found recently is Les Misérables: Shōjo Cosette, an adaptation of Victor Hugo's famous story. It's based more on the original novel than the rather abridged musical, going into more detail about Valjean and especially Cosette's lives. Even if you're already familiar with the plot it's a touching watch.

15 minutes ago, KMT4ever said:

This season I've been following Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou, the story of two girls surviving in a post-apocalyptic world. It's quite low-key, focusing on exploration and philosophy over action and drama, although Chito and Yuuri do get into a few sticky situations.

Another interesting show I found recently is Les Misérables: Shōjo Cosette, an adaptation of Victor Hugo's famous story. It's based more on the original novel than the rather abridged musical, going into more detail about Valjean and especially Cosette's lives. Even if you're already familiar with the plot it's a touching watch.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou is great. It's my favorite anime this season. I love how in some episodes we sometimes see the girls discover things we take for granted while in other episodes they use the simple mind of a child to show some interesting stuff like in episode 9

Spoiler

with the whole robot plot and how they showed us the differences between Yuuri and Chito's mindset towards the idea of life through their actions and not words. 

It ended a few months ago, but I'd been watching Made in Abyss. I was really anticipating the anime after I'd been reading the manga for so long, and I'd highly recommend it - both the anime and manga - to anyone. The manga is further into the story, but if you prefer watching, then the anime does a great job and stays true to the manga, which is nice.

I generally don't like talking about anime, since I am way more negative on it most of the time and have a hard time dealing with its bullshit, but I'm gonna come out of my comfort zone and shill Inuyashiki.

The anime just ended(It's only 11 episodes long), and the last episode made me cry like a baby. It's been 9 years since I can remember crying like that, and that was over real life stuff.

So yeah. If you're into kind of out there seinen stuff, it's a series about two dudes who get obliterated by clumsy aliens, who replace their bodies with war machine replacements in an attempt to cover their tracks. Both of the dudes are going through a crisis, and each of them use their robot bodies to discover what makes them feel human.

If you've seen Gantz, it's by the same dude. It cuts down on the fanservice(There's basically none. The one time you see anybody naked, it's definitely not supposed to be titillating), the pointless side plots, the excessive gore(Though there are still dark, disturbing scenes, especially when Hiro is introduced properly), and the crippling, seemingly neverending cynicism and nihilism.

WARNING: The series uses a lot of modern CG, so if that's an instant killer for you, you're out of luck.

Edited by Slumber

The last anime I watched was the first few episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.  I'll admit, being a huge classic rock person, most of the appeal comes from the large number of characters and Stands named after older music and musicians, even though the series itself uses very little actual classic rock.

I'd love to continue watching it, but neither want to rely on shady free streaming sites, nor pay for a subscription to a safer, more legitimate site like Crunchyroll.  Urrrrgh.

At this rate I might actually do as all the elitists say and READ THE MANGA.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the Clear Card arc for Cardcaptors mainly for nostalgic reasons since Cardcaptors was probably the first anime I got into as a kid! It's a little weird hearing Sakura's voice again after all these years and she's sounds a lot more high pitched than what I remembered hahahaha

I'm also watching IDOLiSH7 which I've been so hooked on for the last year and a half because of how much I appreciate and adore the characters and the story from the mobile game. I've watched and engaged in lots of idol related anime/content like Love Live, Tsukiuta, Marginal #4, Utapri, etc but none of those have resonated with me as much as IDOLiSH7 has. Something I haven't seen very often in idol anime in general is how there tends to be little drama involving the entertainment industry itself so the plot of most of the idol anime I've watched have only really dealt with the characters training as idols, you get some individual character back stories, you see them perform a new song, and then rinse and repeat but you don't really see any notable conflict. For me it's hard to get attached to characters when you only see them in tame situations. Like it's not enough for a character to acknowledge their own insecurities and set backs on their own but how outside conflicts/influences trigger them to face those issues in the first place. Not to say those idol anime that I've watched are bad but I personally want something a lot more deeper and intense. 

Anyway, I can go on for hours about IDOLiSH7 but I won't do that, lmao

Edited by carefreejules

On 1/8/2018 at 7:59 PM, LordOTaco said:

Made in Abyss

It's funny you say this, since like, little more than a week after saying "Inuyashiki made me cry in ways I haven't in almost 10 years", somebody recommended I watch this. 

General feelings on how I feel after watching it below. No content spoilers, but the tone of how season 1 ends might be spoiled. 

Made in Abyss obliterated me. I kind of would rather wait for season 2 of the anime than pick up the manga to see what happens, but my God. I may just be saying this because I need to recover. I finished episode 13 today, and it may have been the worst decision to start off a day I've made in a long time. I've been a sensitive wreck all day.

What are these things happening to my face? I take like 5 years off of watching anime, and two of the first three new series I picked up in a long time have left me a sobbing mess. I need something dumb and light hearted to watch before my eyes dry up and my heart withers away. 

Edited by Slumber

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

It's funny you say this, since like, little more than a week after saying "Inuyashiki made me cry in ways I haven't in almost 10 years", somebody recommended I watch this. 

General feelings on how I feel after watching it below. No content spoilers, but the tone of how season 1 ends might be spoiled. 

Hide contents

Made in Abyss obliterated me. I kind of would rather wait for season 2 of the anime than pick up the manga to see what happens, but my God. I may just be saying this because I need to recover. I finished episode 13 today, and it may have been the worst decision to start off a day I've made in a long time. I've been a sensitive wreck all day.

What are these things happening to my face? I take like 5 years off of watching anime, and two of the first three new series I picked up in a long time have left me a sobbing mess. I need something dumb and light hearted to watch before my eyes dry up and my heart withers away. 

Barakamon is my favorte anime of all time, and it's pretty damn lighthearded.

16 hours ago, OakTree said:

Barakamon is my favorte anime of all time, and it's pretty damn lighthearded.

I might give this a try. 

Though it's also produced by Kinema Citrus, so hopefully I haven't developed PTSD over it. 

On 1/9/2018 at 10:12 PM, Slumber said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh boy sounds like it'll be a ride I've finished the first 3 episodes 

Just finished Cowboy Bebop a few days ago. Really great show, and definitely up there for one of my favorite animes I've watched. The art style and animation was awesome for a 1990s anime, and I really liked the jazzy music. I also really liked all four of the main cast members: they all have some solid backstories and enjoyable personalities. Spike was definitely my favorite of the four, and he grew on me throughout the show. Definitely a character who'd I call one of my favorite animated characters.

I am now watching Konosuba since it was the next anime on my backlog. I'm three episodes in, and I already find it to be quite entertaining.

I can't say there's any anime I'm currently watching; there's a ton of things I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of and definitely WANT to get back to but.. haven't.. for some reason..... 
Though, if recently watched counts, I saw Tokyo Godfathers for the first time and also followed Juni Taisen in the fall season which was pretty fun.

As for manga, I've been slowing getting through the first Jojo's Bizzare Adventure series and have been following the current Royal Tutor chapter releases as well as the D.Gray-man ones (if you want to call it that considering the chapters come out only when the planets are perfectly aligned....)

On 12/20/2017 at 1:37 PM, Raven said:

It ended a few months ago, but I'd been watching Made in Abyss. I was really anticipating the anime after I'd been reading the manga for so long, and I'd highly recommend it - both the anime and manga - to anyone. The manga is further into the story, but if you prefer watching, then the anime does a great job and stays true to the manga, which is nice.

I absolutely loved that show when it was airing. Literally everything from the art, to the characters, to their world, and even all the weird dark shit. :) 
That one I'm definitely going to start reading when the first volume comes out later this month!

I finished Konosuba today. I really enjoyed it for its humor and the ways it poked fun at the isekai genre. The characters, though not very complex and more simple with their characterizations, were enjoyable and definitely made the show entertaining to watch. Shoutouts to Kazuma and Megumin for being fun characters.

Definitely a comedy anime that I personally recommend.

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2018 at 3:08 AM, KongDude said:

I just finished Kuromukuro which I really liked. Hope that gets season two someday...

Yesterday, I started Houseki no Kuni which I should've started sooner. IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I'm surprised I didn't here about it more when it aired.

I watched Kuromukuro too, when it was released and it was surprisingly better than expected, but I don't think there will be a second season even tho would have a plot for that xD

Right now I'm waiting for more of Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) which I recommend to everyone specially if you like shoujo. And Owari no Seraph D:

Haven't watched any anime because I'd like to take season breaks and there wasn't really any interesting this season anyway. Next season does look pretty good though.

As for manga... I read the latest AoT chapter and boy are things getting intense. God I still can't believe that I'm reading the same manga that started with a simple human versus zombie like premise with titans eating everyone. So much has happened, changed and so many interesting story twists are about to happen and boy I just can't wait for the next chapter!

Also read the last chapter from the Majo No Ie manga a few weeks ago. It wasn't perfect, it lacked some details that the novel made sure to explain but the manga made up for that by giving us some of the cool moments in manga form. 

• 2 weeks later...