What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

Seriously? I liked kenshin's subbed voice. It fit him...at least I thought.

Okie Day Red Fox. My Rule: 5 eps before judging an anime, 1 ep for judging a dub.

True, the journey is the interesting part...but not when it gets repetitive. DBZ - oh I gotta keep getting more power. What were they on. SSJ4? or whatever it's called. I stopped after the cell saga. Enjoy those who like power-up animes. I'll take them on a case by case basis.

As for 4kids...I have no idea...must have missed it along the way...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, the journey is the interesting part...but not when it gets repetitive. DBZ - oh I gotta keep getting more power. What were they on. SSJ4? or whatever it's called. I stopped after the cell saga. Enjoy those who like power-up animes. I'll take them on a case by case basis.

This is just something I heard and might not be true, but I'll bring it up anyway. Apparently Akira Toriyama, the creator of all things Dragonball, actually wanted to end the series after the Frieza saga, but it was doing so well they had her (him?) continue it for a few more years. By the end, even Toriyama hated Dragonball Z.

Again, that might be completely false, but it would make sense.

LOL, awesome if so...

Inuyasha I almost finished...I need to finish it XD, but gave up as well. <3 the dog ears though.

Ironically, I really like D.Gray-Man and Soul Eater, which seem to be bleach copycats and extremely long as well, but the difference: THEY HAVE AN END!

Edited by Hatari

Trust me it's good you don't know about 4Kids

And just 1 ep to judge dubs? Mmmmmmm.... maybe a few more than that. I only speak from experience, too. I've heard single eps from series where just that ep was earbleeding.

OH! I have and idea. I should share with you a few of the worst dubs I've heard (trust me, I've seen a lot of dubs so I know what the hell I'm talking about) and you'll never bash decent-excellent dubs because you'll always be like "Well at least as it wasn't as bad as (insert bad dubbed anime here)"

And yeah I did give up on DBZ as well. I stopped before GT started. That series needs to END. It was good while it lasted (actually fucking epic while it lasted), but it's become a paralyzed caterpie at 1... no... 1/2 hp health on the way to being caught by a masterball by giovanni to use as an evil experiment. Wait, wtf? ANYWAY, it just needs to end

EDIT: Uhhhh, Hatari... D.Gray-man is still going. It's just that the anime had to stop because it caught up to the manga because the author had a few accidents or something (don't really know the whole story), but yeah the manga is still going. If you're only talking about the anime and don't count the manga than disregard this last statement :D

Edited by CGV

love the pokemon reference.

Yeah, some series just need to end *cough* naruto/bleach *cough*, If they end, I might try to catch up...I was about half way through...when I stopped.

Ok, link the bad dubs. As for the 1 ep...yeah, it's usually a very quick judgment, which is bad I know...but most dubs sound better subbed though I might as well try anything once.

Oh I forgot, Ouran Host Club was good dubbed as well as subbed.

I think that if I originally watch it dubbed (like I did with FMA), I'll continue to re-watch it as dubbed. If I stream it subbed, I will watch it subbed. Kinda like a first impression sort of thing.

Edit: I don't read manga...so I just go by animes. Would be cool, if D.Gray-Man keeps going (just not as long as bleach please)

Edited by Hatari

Well speaking as a business man, if Bleach and Naruto end the company will lose profit because people will slowly lose interest in something that has stopped producing so that's probably the reason. [teasing]Hmmm... even though pokemen and one piece have been going on longer, I wonder why you didn't mention those?[/teasing]

As for those links... uhhh... I'll just name them to ya: Ah! My goddess OVA (not the series or specials, JUST the OVA), Buso Renkin, just because of how Kazuki says "Buso Renkin" (trust me, you'll see), D.Gray-man (yeah, unfortunately the dubs aren't all that good), Green Green, Higurashi (first season, the others aren't dubbed...good thing too), KARIN (WORST of the bunch, trust me you're ears WILL BLEED, especially when Winner Sinclair opens his annoying ass mouth), Love Hina, Maburaho, Negima and 4Kids dub of One Piece

Fox can back me up on most of these as well, so it's not just me

Make sure you bring extra tissues to wipe the blood from your ears away :D

Yes, OHSHC and FMA had awesome dubs and FMA has awesome subs (didn't see OHSHC subbed so i wouldn't know)

Edited by CGV

Haha, I own Karin...yes Winner is HORRIBLE dubbed. It's soo painful...Subs all the way.

I've never heard of most of them you said. I can't remember if I've seen Oh! (Ah!) my goddess OVA, I've seen the chibi goddesses, if that's what you mean...I watch those subbed.

Yeah D.Gray-Man is painful dubbed...

As for pokemon - Stopped years ago, haven't been following the franchise (gold/siver, if that says anything). One Piece (never started, too cartoony, see other posts, might try subbed version sometime).

Edit: Woot, another OHSHC fan. Yay, Kouya all the way...love the twins as well.

Edited by Hatari

Funny you mention One Piece because I just started watching it THIS year. Yes it is quite cartoony (I read all that stuff you posted), but that rubbery bastard can really pull off some cool moves I never saw Mr. Fantastic or Elastigirl do. I'm watching the whole thing subbed, too. I would've watched the FUNimation dubs until I caught up and then subbed the rest of the way, but I figured that transition would be too weird so I went subs all the way, but the dubs aren't too bad (I only saw one ep dubbed, but I heard everybody)

And no it isn't chibi goddess. It's the one with the boy Keiichi and three Goddesses named Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld

Green Green,

Worst dub ever. That audio track is an insult to English VA's everywhere. And the show itself wasn't much better.

Higurashi (first season, the others aren't dubbed...good thing too),

This one wasn't that bad. I'd call it very mediocre rather than bad. About half the main cast was bad/annoying, most/all of the others were good.

Love Hina,

I couldn't watch this show because of the English dub.

Maburaho,

Bearable, but barely. There were times I just wanted to zip Yuna's mouth shut. And it's funny, because I usually like Jessica Boone's voice.

4Kids dub of One Piece

The only real reason this is bad is because of the cuts and edits 4Kids made. As I recall, the voice acting alone was actually pretty good. I specifically remember Zoro sounding pretty badass.

Ikkitousen season 1's dub was also pretty bad. And that's just about the entire list.

And no it isn't chibi goddess. It's the one with the boy Keiichi and three Goddesses named Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld

Mini/Chibi-Goddess is an Ah! My Goddess spinoff. I believe it has another new cast, though.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Funny you mention One Piece because I just started watching it THIS year. Yes it is quite cartoony (I read all that stuff you posted), but that rubbery bastard can really pull off some cool moves I never saw Mr. Fantastic or Elastigirl do. I'm watching the whole thing subbed, too. I would've watched the FUNimation dubs until I caught up and then subbed the rest of the way, but I figured that transition would be too weird so I went subs all the way, but the dubs aren't too bad (I only saw one ep dubbed, but I heard everybody)

Oh, I've seen parts of that one. Need to go back to it. Yeah, Belldandy is funny. I like Urd's goddess form.

Ah yes, I figured I'd miss a few things. I do remember 4Kids Luffy sounding horrible though, but I kinda want to double check since I'm watching the series for real this time

But anyway, there ya go Hatari. Enjoy!

D.Gray-man's dub is fairly bad... but I found that the Earl was actually an improvement... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU ARE COMPLETE!" But it's irrelevant... the D.Gray-man dub doesn't go far into the series (I believe it ended after like 20 something eps), regardless.

TvTropes

No offense, and this isn't to you directly, but a lot of people use TvTropes as some sort of entertainment Bible, and it really isn't.

Green Green

Green Green is awful no matter what language it's in.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Recently started watching Strawberry Panic. What? WHAT!?!

Pff... HAHAHA!

It's alright but I lost interest around the 13th episode.

It didn't help that I didn't like Shimizu very much...

Edited by Ein Silver Rose

No offense, and this isn't to you directly, but a lot of people use TvTropes as some sort of entertainment Bible, and it really isn't.

That doesn't mean it's not a helpful resource, though. It offers a fascinating lens for literary criticism that doesn't get much airtime in academia and shouldn't be discounted offhand.

That doesn't mean it's not a helpful resource, though. It offers a fascinating lens for literary criticism that doesn't get much airtime in academia and shouldn't be discounted offhand.

Of course not, and I never suggested it should be. I'm just saying that TvTropes quotes or links do not suddenly lend great credence to what people say. I was directing it less at that statement from RFoF, and more in general, as I have seen many people simply link to a TV Trope, as if that somehow made them automatically right about something.

Green Green
Worst dub ever. That audio track is an insult to English VA's everywhere. And the show itself wasn't much better.
Green Green is awful no matter what language it's in.

I found Green Green to be a delightfully light-hearted romp of pure comedic fluff. The Erolutions OVA was also hilarious, but the sort of follow-up you'd expect, and perhaps a taste of what actually playing the game would be like.

Clearly my mileage has varied.

Edited by Balcerzak

D.Gray-man's dub is fairly bad... but I found that the Earl was actually an improvement... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU ARE COMPLETE!" But it's irrelevant... the D.Gray-man dub doesn't go far into the series (I believe it ended after like 20 something eps), regardless.

The Earl in DGM reminded me of the colonel in Hellsing OVA. The plump happy man that monologues and has the most annoying voice ever. (I've seen HOVA in dub and sub and found his voice completely annoying).

The Earl in DGM reminded me of the colonel in Hellsing OVA. The plump happy man that monologues and has the most annoying voice ever. (I've seen HOVA in dub and sub and found his voice completely annoying).

I didn't see any resemblance at all. And the Major had a brilliant voice... not annoying... just brilliant. Completely insane, maniacal, German, and fitting. What more do you expect from a monologuing fat bastard with dreams of dominating the world with nazi vampires.

Samuari Champloo - One of my all time favorites. I watch it over and over again.

Looks like I'm on the same boat, although I'm not a big fan of anime I loved Samurai Champloo because it was pretty badass. Although I did find it very funny that two ruthless killing samurais that wanted to have a deathmatch with each other decide to help that girl together over a coin flip.

Oh yeah, Amelia, I love Pandora Hearts. Just finished the 14th episode and the brilliance of the series just becomes more apparent as it goes along. The many references to Alice and Wonderland seem to get more clever as they go along, even if some of them made me facepalm for not seeing them coming. But the thing I love the most about the series is it's highly emotional soundtrack.