What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have some anime suggestions? Unlimited Blade Works is basically the only one I'm watching currently, and it's kind of hard to wait week by week.

Looking for something with (little to) no cheesecake exploitation of women, (little to) no annoying otaku culture insider jokes, and all the moe on a tight leash. Just good story, good characters, and having high quality animation and action helps.

I also like the Avatar series for whatever that's worth.

So not explotaitive of women, not moe, and not otaku? Can't say I have ever seen one (as everyone above already also mentioned).

I think the closest I can think right now is Blood Blockade Battlefront, which is currently airing this season. It's focused on telling a story, developing its world, and introducing you to many characters. I find the visual imagery to be really good, the music is great, and it's overall a fun show. I think of the three things you mentioned, the moe element shows up here and there but it's not the style of the show.

Also, if you like UBW, I think you will enjoy Fate/Zero. All the stuff you already like about UBW, except stronger story.

Durarara may also be up your alley, I don't know. It's more plot and character relations than anything else, but it still has action.

Edited by Xyr

Have you watched Kino's Journey yet? Just off the top of my head what's in my external that isn't moe otaku garbage or for children lol

Incidentally, Psycho-Pass was also the first thing to come to my mind.

I don't know what you (Radiant head) have seen, but off the top of my head there's: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Hunter x Hunter, Gurren Lagann, One Outs...some of my personal favorites, anyway. There's also Madoka Magica, which fits all your criteria except possibly the moe one, so you'll have to be the judge of that for yourself.

I've heard good things about Psycho Pass, but never got around to watching it, so I'll do that. Of the ones listed, I've seen FMA, Hunter, and Gurren. Liked FMA, but didn't care for the other two. Will have to check out the rest.

So not explotaitive of women, not moe, and not otaku? Can't say I have ever seen one (as everyone above already also mentioned).

I think the closest I can think right now is Blood Blockade Battlefront, which is currently airing this season. It's focused on telling a story, developing its world, and introducing you to many characters. I find the visual imagery to be really good, the music is great, and it's overall a fun show. I think of the three things you mentioned, the moe element shows up here and there but it's not the style of the show.

Also, if you like UBW, I think you will enjoy Fate/Zero. All the stuff you already like about UBW, except stronger story.

Durarara may also be up your alley, I don't know. It's more plot and character relations than anything else, but it still has action.

I watched a bit of Fate/Zero, but I think I stopped watching as soon as I saw that scene with Sakura and the bugs.

I tried Durarara, but didn't get past the second episode because of the pretentious pseudo-intellectual dialogue from the online friend guy.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Edited by Radiant head

Does anyone have some anime suggestions? Unlimited Blade Works is basically the only one I'm watching currently, and it's kind of hard to wait week by week.

Looking for something with (little to) no cheesecake exploitation of women, (little to) no annoying otaku culture insider jokes, and all the moe on a tight leash. Just good story, good characters, and having high quality animation and action helps.

I also like the Avatar series for whatever that's worth.

Ninja Slayer From Animation.

Eureka 7

Radiant Head Durarara get's better in the later episodes the first few kind of drag on though

Edited by Bankai

The Stardust Crusaders OVA or the TV series?

The 2012 and the 2014 animes. Screw the 'prequel' episodes of the OVA, the 1994 episodes are cool in my book.

I can't until Diamond is Unbreakable is adapted into an anime.

picking back up Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

yeah it looks like some fanservice-y stuff

but eh, the story and characters seem interesting enough to keep my interests

I finally got around to finish Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica yesterday. Now I really want to start out watching Revolutionary Girl Utena, but the art style really puts me off, and I don't know if I'll finish it. I'm also watching Ghost in the Shell.

Psycho-Pass fits the bill except for the animation part and possibly the good story part. Also I guess maybe cheesecake exploitation of women in that you get female victims onscreen for like two minutes??

Psycho-Pass has really fucking good animation lol.

Everything about Psycho-Pass is good. :P:

I'm thinking about watching Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Budget Blade Works, since I saw the first episode at my school's Anime Club and it seemed interesting.

It's perfectly watchable. Really good animation and if the first episode didn't put you off, none of the others so far will (haven't watched the latest one). The only problem is that it's still ongoing, so if you don't like waiting in the middle of an anime, hold off on that.

Edited by Refa

Everything about Psycho-Pass is good. :P:

I'm thinking about watching Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Budget Blade Works, since I saw the first episode at my school's Anime Club and it seemed interesting.

I would suggest waiting for the blu ray episodes since they include all the footage cut from the tv version.

Edited by Maou

Currently re-watching OreImo. It's got really colorful characters, including a host of tsunderes, but there are some...questionable themes later on. I still highly recommend it.

Also, does anyone know the name of that anime about an anime studio that came out less than a year ago? I've been wanting to watch it, but I can't remember the name.

Just watched Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. Very interesting and enjoyable!

If you enjoyed Gargantia, I'd suggest watching more Urobutcher Urobuchi animes. Such as Madoka, Fate/Zero (he wrote the LN series that it was adapted from), Psycho-Pass, etc

In other news, I am really disappointed with ufotable's adaptation of UBW. The action sequences are awesome, yes, but they keep wrecking the adaptations of the rest of the story events. I think they lost their touch after Fate/Zero...

If you enjoyed Gargantia, I'd suggest watching more Urobutcher Urobuchi animes. Such as Madoka, Fate/Zero (he wrote the LN series that it was adapted from), Psycho-Pass, etc

In other news, I am really disappointed with ufotable's adaptation of UBW. The action sequences are awesome, yes, but they keep wrecking the adaptations of the rest of the story events. I think they lost their touch after Fate/Zero...

yeah but they added some cool things in the first season of UBW that were not in the VN but haven't been keeping up

also people instead of watching the anime of UBW read the VN. It's probably much better than the anime

Also, does anyone know the name of that anime about an anime studio that came out less than a year ago? I've been wanting to watch it, but I can't remember the name.

Shirobako. I've been watching that recently myself.

also people instead of watching the anime of UBW read the VN. It's probably much better than the anime

I would if I had Windows.

Though even if I did, I dunno how much it would interest me without the animation.

You do realize that fate/zero is 4 short books compared to thousands of lines of text in UBW? It is impossible for any studio to produce a f/sn adaptation that will please the picky VN crowd, there's just too many events that won't translate over nicely in the anime format. With that attitude you might as well dismiss Heaven's Feel right now because if you think they will cover every single plot point in one movie then lol.

I would if I had Windows.

Though even if I did, I dunno how much it would interest me without the animation.

You're completely fine just watching the anime, although waiting for the blu rays would give the full experience.

Edited by Maou

You do realize that fate/zero is 4 short books compared to the thousands of lines of text in UBW? It is impossible for any studio to produce a f/sn adaptation that will please the picky VN crowd, there's just too many events that won't translate over nicely in the anime format. With that attitude you might as well dismiss Heaven's Feel right now because if you think they will cover every single plot point in one movie then lol.

I'm not complaining about everything that's missed. I am complaining about how they stuffed in loads of massive unnecessary filler while rushing through or outright deleting plenty of important parts. I'm not upset that they didn't adapt every single thing; heck, I'd probably hate it more if they actually adapted every single freaking cooking scene. But I really disagree about how it's impossible to please all the VN fans though, unless you used the term "picky VN fans" to refer to an really small subset of the fandom. UBW is huge, yes, but just like the other F/SN routes, it also has a lot of filler and the total volume of relevant content could definitely be adapted smoothly in a 24-episode anime. I don't mind if they add filler, for example, I liked how they referenced Kouzuki's backstory (which was only elaborated in Ataraxia) and actually created the character for Caster's first Master. But I think I have the right to be annoyed if they butcher relevant story content while still wasting a lot of time on unnecessary original filler.

I'm not dismissing Heaven's Feel because it has even more unnecessary content than UBW, and I'm convinced that ufotable is certainly capable of presenting all the story-relevant content in HF in a sufficient but compressed manner while keeping the overall experience enjoyable (which may involve adding fillers). But if they butcher the story content in favor of original unnecessary fillers, then I would likely be disappointed in it too. Then again, unlike UBW, I only like HF for its action sequences, so if they animate those well, I'll probably be satisfied even if the story adaptation is a complete wreck.

Edited by Formina Sage

I'm not complaining about everything that's missed. I am complaining about how they stuffed in loads of massive unnecessary filler while rushing through or outright deleting plenty of important parts. I'm not upset that they didn't adapt every single thing; heck, I'd probably hate it more if they actually adapted every single freaking cooking scene. But I really disagree about how it's impossible to please all the VN fans though, unless you used the term "picky VN fans" to refer to an really small subset of the fandom. UBW is huge, yes, but just like the other F/SN routes, it also has a lot of filler and the total volume of relevant content could definitely be adapted smoothly in a 24-episode anime. I don't mind if they add filler, for example, I liked how they referenced Kouzuki's backstory (which was only elaborated in Ataraxia) and actually created the character for Caster's Master. But I think I have the right to be annoyed if they butcher relevant story content while still wasting a lot of time on unnecessary original filler.

I'm not dismissing Heaven's Feel because it has even more unnecessary content than UBW, and I'm convinced that ufotable is certainly capable of presenting all the story-relevant content in HF in a sufficient but compressed manner while keeping the overall experience enjoyable (which may involve adding fillers). But if they butcher the story content in favor of original unnecessary fillers, then I would likely be disappointed in it too. Then again, unlike UBW, I only like HF for its action sequences, so if they animate those well, I'll probably be satisfied even if the story adaptation is a complete wreck.

How is content from the original story "filler"? Some of the scenes are slice of life but they aren't filler.

The western VN community in general is a hive mind; no adaptations are acceptable, just read the vn. I'm fully convinced that ufotable's adaptation is the best that f/sn is ever going to receive, I doubt any other studio could ever come close. Jumping into a VN like f/sn is a huge task, so having a faithful adaptation like this is a godsend for many people.

Edited by Maou

How is content from the original story "filler"? Some of the scenes are slice of life but they aren't filler.

You misunderstood. When I said original filler content in the anime, I meant filler content that are original to the anime adaptation and are not even present in the VN.

The western VN community in general is a hive mind; no adaptations are acceptable, just read the vn. I'm fully convinced that ufotable's adaptation is the best that f/sn is ever going to receive, I doubt any other studio could ever come close. Jumping into a VN like f/sn is a huge task, so having a faithful adaptation like this is a godsend for many people.

You're still generalizing the western VN community on to me (I'm not even from the west, lol). There are some VN adaptations that I was really pleased with, such as Clannad and Steins;Gate, even though all of those adaptations changed or cut off a lot of stuff. I don't think F/SN is an especially complex story to adapt. It's not like something like Sharin no Kuni or Ever17 which would only work well in the VN medium. The content in each of the F/SN routes could easily be adapted into a very solid anime. And in fact, I'd say that the first season was adapted really well too. It's only in the second half where they ended up messing everything up except the epic action sequences.

I had high hopes for ufotable too, because their Kara no Kyoukari and Fate/Zero adaptations were great. Well, except for Oblivion Recorder in KnK and Berserker's death in F/Z, but everything else was good enough to make up for those shortcomings imo. But with Fate/Stay Night? They're really messing up the second season and I'm not quite sure what they're trying to do to it.

Also, since you compared F/Z and UBW's lengths earlier, I decided to do some research on this. Baka-Tsuki's translation of Fate/Zero is 303,437 words (not including postface and stuff like that) while UBW is at 219,495 words, not including alternate choices and Bad Ends. Fate/Zero as a whole is already longer than UBW and I would argue that UBW has a lot more unnecessary scenes that could be cut off from an adaptation *cough*cooking*cough*. So if ufotable was able to pull off such a great Fate/Zero adaptation, with extra room to extend Rin's story into an entire episode and Kiritsugu's backstory into two episodes, I think they are very capable of turning UBW into a solid anime like they did with Fate/Zero.