the art looks terrible

AznADD92

I wasn't very impressed with the battle animations in any of the Fire Emblem games. I didn't expect this one to be any different. : /

It should also be noted that FE DS isn't complete yet. It's possible that the battle sprites will be improved in the final version of the game.

The art looks like FE4/5 art, which I preferred over GBA art because it was more realistic. The knights wore helmets, people didn't do crazy stunts (except for Ira and her kids) and people just... attacked. Which was good.

I like my crazy stunts though... I hope they don't take that out. I especially got a few lulz out of the axe-user backrolls done in RD XD

He said he was referring to the battle animations. I can understand how this is significantly less appealing or impressive than this. The units don't appear to meld into the environment in any respect due to the black borders. I saw a video on-line of the games shown at Nintendo's Autumn Conference a few days after the event. There was a clip of FE11 somewhere in the middle in which a Pegasus Knight attacked a Thief, if I remember correctly, but I can't find it. Regardless, the over-world and battle sprites are bound to be changed or updated by the game's completion.

He said he was referring to the battle animations. I can understand how this is significantly less appealing or impressive than this. The units don't appear to meld into the environment in any respect due to the black borders. I saw a video on-line of the games shown at Nintendo's Autumn Conference a few days after the event. There was a clip of FE11 somewhere in the middle in which a Pegasus Knight attacked a Thief, if I remember correctly, but I can't find it. Regardless, the over-world and battle sprites are bound to be changed or updated by the game's completion.

yes, i meant that if the rest can look so good, the battle animations should be, too.

i hope the crazy stunt attacks are still there (like gba swdmaster)

I like what the animations look like too though. I don't understand what looks so crappy about them. To me they look way better than the GBA ones.

this .The units don't appear to meld into the environment in any respect due to the black borders.
I like what the animations look like too though. I don't understand what looks so crappy about them. To me they look way better than the GBA ones.

Look at the sprites. They have a crappy black border and looks like a minor game company tried to do 3D on a game boy advance. That's what i meant...

Look at the sprites. They have a crappy black border and looks like a minor game company tried to do 3D on a game boy advance. That's what i meant...

That "crappy" black border doesn't make the sprites look crappy.

I think the battle sprites are similar to the characters in GBA's The Sims Bustin' Out game, if you've ever played it. I agree that black borders detract from realism, but I think the whole point of this remake is to literally remake the old game, upgrading the old sprites into newer ones. I really don't care how it looks though, because I'm sure that if I played the FE:DS, I'll like it well enough.

Indeed. Most fans of Fire Emblem have accepted that the series stresses its gameplay and storyline aspects much more than showy graphics, even though the graphics have never been bad. I do however think that some, if not many, of you will be inclined to agree with me that the fighting animations in the GBA games were stunning in comparison to the graphics of other GBA, at least at their time of release. FE9 and FE10 are the only games which have suffered a noticeable degree of assailment (that I am aware of) towards their graphics, although I found FE10 a very attractive improvement over its predecessor.

I like the direction that Intelligent Systems has taken in regard to the map detail, the character portraits, and the artwork. At the moment, it's only the battle sprites which appear to potentially detract from the presentation of the game. My speculation is, naturally, based only off of the seven released screenshots, but I do expect that FE11 will look really nice when released. Two dimensional artwork can be very appealing if done well, and I have faith in IS.

That "crappy" black border doesn't make the sprites look crappy.

Exactly, it's the horrible try at 3D art. :(

The 3D faces I can live with, but not the battle sprites. And even though I say this, I'll probably end up getting it anyways.

I dislike the art in all areas, as it just doesn't look like the usual Fire Emblem that I've come to known. None of the characters look like they have emotion or any other facial expression besides "depressed". Battles look half done and the sprites don't look quite as polished as the other GBA games. I do hope they improve.