Phoenix's Sprite Gallery.

Phoenix

asdfghj-- HOW DID I MISS THAT?! Educated guess just got more evidence, yo.

*points to Morgana's goat tails* ANCHOR.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

asdfghj-- HOW DID I MISS THAT?! Educated guess just got more evidence, yo.

Please don't necropost. :)

Edited by Wicked Witch of the East

Well if no one minds, I'll fix the necro problem myself.

Would like some more feedback on these updates anyhow ...

GabriellareduxWIP1.pngGabriellareduxdarkWIP.png

Changes include a new head and hairstyle(the latter suggested by Blader) and going back to a scalemail undershirt. Oh also I changed the blade heels so they're less ridiculous.

MorganaupdateWIP.png

Changes include fixing up her right thumb a bit, adding another button to her vest to fill in that inexplicable gap that was there originally, and making her left boot a little thicker around the ankle ... and adding another strap thing for no apparent reason.

I'm going to update the gallery proper in a few days or so once I finish the last rp character in the queue(Valter).

Do you do requests, Phoenix?

Yes, but just LoAF and RotE characters to keep myself from getting utterly swamped.

Heheheh ...

anchorbetas.png

Have to say, Gabbie looks a lot better now. If you're being all "I have 2 versions and I'm not sure which is better" again, here's my opinion (though both are nice): The Gabbie on the right. Excellent. It's a step up, which makes sense for her fairly recent promotion.

I also like the fixes you did on Morgana. I didn't notice them at first, but she does look more put-together now.

And ha ha yeah, I see my typo. *coat tails. But still, anchorrr.

Okay I'm back ... sorta :unsure:

Had a little loss of inspiration there for awhile that I'm still recovering from, but I managed to get some stuff done and I think the gallery's ready for a proper update. As usual I'll be posting all the underwhelming stuff first and slowly build up to the fullbodies and legitimate splices.

SapphireUpdate.png

This is just a small Sapphire update(She's more commonly referred to as 'Colonel Langley' in the rp). I just fixed up the colors a bit more and made some subtle changes no one here will even notice.

Runaupdate.png

Rune update. This was a more noticeable recolor as her eyes are now red. Also I managed to give them a bit more definition, so they the 'cat iris' thing I do with the nonhumans sticks out more on these eyes I think. Her hair and feathers are also less vivid than before. Might do a bit more to her since looking at it now, the eyes could use a wee bit more tweaking.

Oscarbeta.png

OSCAR

Gentle old doctor traveling with Bogdan aboard the Leverager? More like House with several blunderbusses tucked away in his office.

Eugenebeta.pngEugenehelmedbeta.png

EUGENE

New character I though up out of boredom. He's not relevant right now. He's a royal guard.

Also here's a 'Generic' that wears the same armor(and is almost identical since I'm lazy).

GenericRoyalKnight.png

Might add some more trim to Eugene to distinguish him more like I did with Mikoyan. Might also make the helmet bigger, I dunno, we'll see.

Gythabeta.png

GYTHA THIRDGEM

Crackshot Mariner. Request from Merc. Was more difficult than I expected but I got it done, lol(yeah, the arms, gun, sword, and shirt are all full custom ... oi).

And this is a combination of Reign's previous sprites that I wanted to try for kicks.

ReignBeige2HalfbodyFinish-1.png

Reignupdate2beige2-1.png

Rexian Dante(DMC3 version) for the win! This isn't canon and I won't be using it, at least not as a regular thing.

AyanoReduxHalfbody.png

AYANO

She's getting her title used again because it's been awhile. Oops, sorry, Langley :>_<:

Took a chance with a new outfit. It got revised like twice before I settled on this version.

AyanoRedux.png

NyxReduxhalfbody.png

NYX

Nyx is back and with a few changes to her outfit and hairstyle. The old outfit just looked too plain to me. At some point I'll add the wings on but for now I think this works.

NyxRedux-1.png

VolyaUpdate1.pngVolyaUpdate2.png

VOLYA

This is a post-Tremere outfit, as the original coat had sleeves tucked into steel gauntlets.

... those wings were a pain. Yeah I'm probably going to be getting really cheap if I have to keep doing full custom feathered wings. That took a lot out of me.

Wha-Wha-

Gytha looks like a man.... oh wait it's Gytha. Nevermind, carry on.

Reign is as always, quite delicious.

NYX!!!!

You are so hot. and those clothes look like they are see-through. She's totally a tease.

Volya= Badass and/or scrumptious.

• 2 months later...

My gallery's a little too close to dead for my taste so I'm going to change up my style of updating a little bit. Basically I'll be posting WIPs instead of nothing but 'completed works'.

For starters there's this thing

SecondNavalhelmWIP_zpsf81eb6fd.png

The one on the left is a WIP of a new helmet. It was originally going to be the same helmet but at a different angle, but I got bored while making it and decided to give it a different trim too. It'll have golden trim once I'm finished since the guy wearing it is an officer and such.

This one here ...

Lanaupdate.png

... is a remake of Lana Bosconovitch. Nephenee's a fun base and all but I didn't want her to look like a soldier or a halberdier, so I tried to find some other armor to use. I wanted to try something new so went for Petrine's armor. Trouble was the pose is completely broken and I had to do a lot of work to make it even remotely passable. For now these are the results.

Suzumebeta.pngSuzumemaskedbeta.png

SUZUME

This one has been done for ages but was never posted because I'm none too bright about this updating business. Suzume's a tanky thunder mage and currently holds the RotE record for makeover speed and chignon tying.

Zoebeta_zpsc3ce55c8.png

ZOE

Made this one earlier this afternoon when Furet asked me what the ship's cook looked like. Took two hours or so, believe it or not.

Also here's an Io update I made.

IoRedux.png

Basically just lightened the lips so she wouldn't look like she was wearing makeup or anything. I think it looks better.

That's it for the new stuff. I'm going to be spriting Athena Shastak and a character who's name I can't reveal yet due to plot spoilers this month if I find the time(Athena will be a fullcustom fullbody with only the head being spliced, so that's an endeavor and such lol).

• 3 weeks later...
Umm...dragon helmet thing is kinda cool I guess (not too big a fan of dragons). Sorry if it isn't supposed to be a dragon helmet thing.

Yeah the Skotian navy has a dragon theme going.

Anyway I got started on Athena and here's the progress so far ...

AthenaWIP1_zps04f2966d.png

The head pose on the pose lines is wrong, but since I'm splicing the head and not making it from scratch, I didn't bother to fix it. I know what pose the head's going to be in so that shouldn't get in the way. Here's the outline by itself ...

AthenaWIP1_1_zps635eedeb.png

Any thoughts on it so far?

Forgive my intrusion, but I just checked out all the sprites in this thread, ignorant of the number of pages. Took me slightly less than an hour. More time than I expected, so now it's off to bed.

Oh by the way, you are a freaking EXPERT!!!

You know, I've always enjoyed your work. I understand a lot of it is splices made from FE9/10 mugs and some of it is even custom, but nevertheless it never loses its appeal. I just wanted to say that everything looks really good... except for the outlines. I think the hard, jagged black outlines look awful, quite frankly, and I think that anti-aliasing the edges would maybe improve the look.

Then again, I'm definitely not an artist so feel free to ignore me if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man. I just looked at all 25 pages of this topic. I pretty much completely agree with Phoenix Saga. While a lot of them are splices and stuff, they do look really good. They are really nice and clean. It's crazy how many you have done. This is probably more suitable for a PM, but I would love to know what methods and strategies you use for recoloring as well as your custom shading. I apologize if you already mentioned it in the topic. 25 pages is a lot especially if one just skims the pictures.

Hi, Xan! Long time no see :^_^:

Oh by the way, you are a freaking EXPERT!!!

I wish :sweatdrop:

I just wanted to say that everything looks really good... except for the outlines. I think the hard, jagged black outlines look awful, quite frankly, and I think that anti-aliasing the edges would maybe improve the look.

Used to think the same, but these are technically just game sprites, so they're meant to go on various backgrounds. If you anti-aliased the edges, they would have a dark gray-ish blur around the entire sprite that would really stand out anywhere but on a white background.

Then again, I'm definitely not an artist so feel free to ignore me if you wish.

Nah, it's a valid point. These would look better anti-aliased, but only on this background :lol:

EDIT: Forest green skin, by the way!

The thing you have to remember too Klok is that if they were used in an FE setting, the outline would be diffused by a background, which would cut down on the jagged look a lot :P

And this is why I can make comics. Though I haven't done those in a while. Kinda ran out of ideas and one of the starring characters sort of died in the actual rp so ... yeah ....

This is probably more suitable for a PM, but I would love to know what methods and strategies you use for recoloring as well as your custom shading.

There's a lot of 'keep doing stuff until it looks right' going on, but I guess I did pick up some actual methods for the bigger projects. For recoloring you'll need something better than MS paint if you're going to use my methods.

For starters let's take a look at this thing I did ...

Carmen_zps228867ae.png

CARMEN

This was made from Mia. She looks simple enough but I put a lot more work into this one trying to get everything just right. What I did to make her hair blonde is a good recoloring example. First I pick the tone I want(or something close). Obviously just recoloring Mia's hair yellow won't make her look blonde, even if I wish really hard; the hair has to be lightened first(though you can lighten it again after it's colored to get the correct tone ... this just means you have to re-recolor the hair afterward each time which gets tedious; better to get the tone right the first time). So for that I usually use the overlay tool though I could probably use something prettier but eh. So I keep smacking it with white overlay of varying opacity until I get the hair as bright as I want it. Then I set the brush to color and pick a very pale gold/yellow(blonde hair is pretty dull so picking ordinary yellow isn't going to look right). Once I've colored the hair I grab the sponge tool(it's a sat/desat tool that can save you some time). I usually use like %25 desat and run the brush over the brightest areas of the hair to take away some of the color(there's variation in saturation in fe sprites so I started doing this to mimic the look, but especially in hair). Once I'm satisfied with the levels and finished up any other flaws, the hair's good to go. With Carmen there was some other work involved as well, such as changing portions of the hair and making slight edits where needed.

As for shading ... it's all hopeless guesswork and I just keep trying until it looks right :wacko:

Also as a bonus(for what, I don't know), here's a little overlap of Carmen and the regular Mia.

CarmenvsMia_zps530f9840.png

Here's a different thing that's not related to my method sharing.

Amonupdate_zpsa97b4040.png

This is just me trying out an alternate hairstyle for Amon(though there are some pose fixes here as well that I need to eventually do to the original. Didn't get enough support to become canon, so the old Amon is still the one people should be imagining(minus the pose flaws).

Also Athena project progress ... (as you may recall she's another full custom fullbody attempt)

Athenaprojectscreenshot2_zps232deadd.png

Haven't gotten around to drawing the left hand and her sword, but ... someday. The face is just a placeholder for now but she's cute so I might just stick with it. I definitely need to change the bangs though. I made some edits from the previous torso so the shape is slightly different, the torso is slightly taller, and I had to make numerous edits to the legs to get them looking more ... 'shapely' especially on the greaves. I'm still not going to be toning or shading for awhile though. For now she's just going to look like a voluptuous sculpture of pencil lead :lol:

Edited by Phoenix

Thanks for some of the suggestions. The last few days I've been trying to do some FE9 sprites. I've got the splicing part down pretty well. I just have a hard time recoloring sometimes due to the methods I use (which are really basic). I will try those out when I have some time.

You're welcome :^_^:

I personally find FE9 sprites more difficult ... don't know a good way to word 'why' though. I guess there's just much more room for error with FE10s.

Just about finished with toning this thing ...

Athenaprojectscreenshot3_zpsdcae73be.png

Once I finish that, I'll be working on the face and hair to get Athena's actual face and hairstyle. Once that's finished, it's shading and then coloring.

Also ...

293.gif

ZacharyDH_zpsb1ad1af0.pngManInBlack_zpsb5206080.pngBlakeDH_zpsf72b0c9e.png

NadyaDHWIP_zps9c6670de.pngVeronikaDH_zps73358c00.pngGabbieDH_zpse8d6a14c.png

ReignDH2halfbody_zps02635ff2.pngShadrakDH_zps9450cb35.pngGythaDH2_zps0852309b.png

Rpers: Come up with any theories you want about these. I've nothing more to say on the matter ... well, nothing legit or helpful :):

Edited by Phoenix

2nd row, third sprite.

I want her to be my wife now.

I don't know why.

But something about her...

Attracts me.

I hope she's not succubus because she's too fine for that.

Help me.

Pull me away from her seductive leer.

Don't let her eat me!

/locked in eternal bond of marriage

Edit:

Btw, the animation one? A figureman's head is hitting the edge of the portal :x

Edited by Ubel Engel

Yet another victim to Gabbie's looks.... it's becoming quite a long list at this point.

Anyways, calling it now. This is related to the Dragon Head challenge, it's gonna be a Persona 4 thingy were we have to "Face Ourselves"

And I still want Zach to have the clothes from top middle guy damn it >_>

2nd row, third sprite.

I want her to be my wife now.

I don't know why.

But something about her...

Attracts me.

I hope she's not succubus because she's too fine for that.

Help me.

Pull me away from her seductive leer.

Don't let her eat me!

/locked in eternal bond of marriage

You are fucking creepy, has anyone ever told you that?

Man, I had forgotten to keep an eye on this. You've always made some pretty cool and some cute sprites, and it still shows.

Although those last ones makes my sanity think I quit just in time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Major progress with Athena and two screencaps to show for it.

My progress as of last night ...

Athenaprojectscreenshot5_zps07caae33.png

And my progress as of ... nao ...

Athenaprojectscreenshot6_zpsa832c258.png

I sure hope the coloring phase(all I have left to do minus a few shading tweaks and additions here and there) is a bit less taxing than shading is :facepalm:

For anyone wondering, I just smacked her torso repeatedly with 5%, 10%, and 15% opacity overlay strokes of black or white(of varying sizes) after laying down a few guide lines. Just repeated as needed until it looked 'okay'. Also don't ask why I colored in the necklace before I even finished shading; I have no freaking idea why I do things sometimes.