What secondary weapon do you give Paladins/Sages

That Axe/Bow thread got me thinkin'. In general, what is the second weapon you give to cavaliers and mages once they promote?

I usually go for variety/aesthetics more than strategy (PoR isn't a strategy-heavy FE anyway).

Oscar - Bows (for the Triangle Attack w/Boyd and Rolf)

Kieran - Swords

Makalov (on the rare occasions I use him) - Lances. Cavalier Classic.

Astrid - Swords (Nomad Trooper ftw)

Soren/Illyana/Tormod - Staves, because giving them knives is just plain silly. Don't know what IS was thinking there.

Soren/Illyana/Tormod - Staves, because giving them knives is just plain silly. Don't know what IS was thinking there.

Poor man's Mage Fighter?

(Tinny had Swords + Anima + Staves and depending on her father had actual strength and defence.)

Oscar: Bows or Swords...depending on weather I will use the other two or not.

Kieran: Lances, his Hit is decent enough already.

Makalov: Axes. Awesome Str.

Astrid: Axes. Like everyone.

Soren: Staves. Although for fun (without saving I gave him knives and he could barely kill priest with 3 Str and an Stiletto). Staves, normally.

Illyana: Knives on my first run for turning out with at least 2 digit Str stat, still sucked when she barely killed even with a critical.

I always choose staves for the sages. I'd rather do some decent healing than use a weak weapon with terrible strength that hits defence. For paladins I have axes for Oscar and Astrid and then swords for Kieron.

Oscar - Bows for the Triangle Attack... until I realise I'm never using Rolf. Then it's Axes.

Kieran - Lances because you get Ike enough sword users.

Makalov - Sadly (or not), I never use him

Astrid - Axes for increased Might.

Mages - Always Staves. One day I've give one of them Knives just to see what it's like.

Oscar: axes.

Makalov: axes.

Astrid: axes.

Kieran: axes. Or lances, depends on the mood I'm in :awesome:

Mages: staves. Except I once gave Soren knives just for kicks, and he actually got 10 str that playthrough. Hell yeah for dealing 2 damage tops to whatever somewhat decent enemy.

I try to set up my Paladins so each of the weapon combinations is represented. So Astrid and Oscar take Swords, Makalov takes Axes and Kieran takes Bows.

Although if it were up to me, all my Paladins would have Swords/Lances. It just feels weird any other way. But I'm not really fond of the sprite that Axe and Lance Paladins use in this game.

As for Sages, Staves all the way. I can never pick which kind of magic to focus on though, because I like all of them.

(I need to RNG abuse Tormod and Calill to 20 strength at some point so they can run around killing stuff with Stilletos. With max mt supports, capped strength and Stilletos, they have 33mt, 41 against armoured units.)

Edited by Anouleth

Oscar: Axes- A 45% STR GROWTH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Kieran: Swords- His SPD is less than satisfactory so extra AVD is cool.

Astrid: Axes- 40% STR growth is :( for bow users. And it helps Astrid's 1-range tremendously.

Makalov: Lances- Astrid has the range, Kieran has the power, Oscar has earth, and Makalov has speed. SO YEAH.

Combine these four with Titania and Geoffrey and I do believe we have the next MIGHTY MORPHIN PALADIN RANGERS.

Edited by Merlinus the Jew

I usually give Makalov lances, if I use him, and the other Paladins all swords. I used to give Oscar bows, but not anymore.

And the first time I played, I gave one of my mages knives, but I'm never making that mistake again... <_<

Axes. Why? 2wexp for steel axe, and they get the weapon they'll be using most of the time the moment they promote (either a steel axe forge or a steel axe or a hand axe forge).

It takes 15 swings instead of 30 to get to D rank, and if they double that can be done in 8 attacks rather than 15. And those 8 attacks were done with a significantly stronger weapon. Steel Axe has 4 mt on an Iron Lance. Only thing is you are more likely to have a random iron lance forge lying around than having an extra steel axe forge, so the mt difference could arguably not exist. Still, it's quicker to get to C and up for the specialty weapons.

For me its:

Oscar: Bows- He is almost always my first character to promote, and having him have a bow equipped helps exp distribution to unpromoted people. Also I like the 2 range.

Kieran: Swords

Astrid: Whatever the heck I feel like. (Axes would be the best choice though)

Makalov: Never used him.

All sages get staves

Kind of off topic, but has anyone beside me noticed the the sages and paladins in trial maps do not have secondary weapons?

Oscar with bows for triangle attack, Soren staves. Besides that, I don't really care. Soren is my only sage, and I'm too lazy to raise paladins in their secondary weapon.

Oscar - Bows

Astrid - Swords but I may try axes if I ever play this game again, for something different

Kieran/Makalov - I never have used them

Soren/Ilyana - staves (sometimes I give them knives since Rhys & Mist easily and usually handle most of the healing I'd ever need and building staff rank from an E on Sages isn't something I ever really like doing)

Tormod - also never used him, too

Illyana: Knives on my first run for turning out with at least 2 digit Str stat, still sucked when she barely killed even with a critical.

They should just get rid of knives and make thieves use swords again. (maybe on promotion) and let mages use swords on promotion. That would at least make a str blessed mage think about going swords (though still probably not).

Oscar: bows (tri attack)

Kieran: lance

Mak: Axe

Astrid: axe

staves on all mages.

Oscar: Axes- A 45% STR GROWTH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Kieran: Swords- His SPD is less than satisfactory so extra AVD is cool.

Astrid: Axes- 40% STR growth is :( for bow users. And it helps Astrid's 1-range tremendously.

Makalov: Lances- Astrid has the range, Kieran has the power, Oscar has earth, and Makalov has speed. SO YEAH.

Combine these four with Titania and Geoffrey and I do believe we have the next MIGHTY MORPHIN PALADIN RANGERS.

POR is also known as the most knightly of the FE games :)

Kind of off topic, but has anyone beside me noticed the the sages and paladins in trial maps do not have secondary weapons?

Noticed it on paladins but not on sages.

Are there any sages with knives in this game? (enemy)

Oscar: Bows (for the Tri Attack with Boyd and Rolf)

Kieran: Swords

I don't use any others except Geoffrey and Titania, who are prepromotes.

As for Sages, I give them staves. Knives suck.