How hard is Hector Hard Mode?

luigi bros

There's more room for randomness. But it's not the fault of the RNG - the RNG is the same in all three games. It's the fault of stuff like authority stars and weapons having crappy Hit, that's all.

I meant the display hit...even when it shows to be decent (i.e 67 Hit) they have high chances of missing. I assume there is no True Hit factor present in the SNES FEs...I am not sure.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant the display hit...even when it shows to be decent (i.e 67 Hit) they have high chances of missing. I assume there is no True Hit factor present in the SNES FEs...I am not sure.

Sure there is, it's just the same as what's displayed. 67% displayed Hit would be a 67% chance to hit.

I'm playing this game again, and I always do Hector Mode. For once I'd like to do Hard Mode. So how hard is it? How big is the restriction on number of units? And how hard is it compared to FE11 H5, FE5 Elite Mode, and FE6 Hard Mode?

Though it seems perhaps Luigi Bros has made his decision for his playthrough, I thought I'd offer a few words of my own opinions, which tend to align in whole or in part with others previously mentioned.

HHM is considerably easier than FEDS H5. I've never played FE5 at any mode, and I would say HHM is fairly equivalent to FE6 Hard mode to tell the truth, though perhaps slightly easier as reinforcements in FE6 appear and move, which may end up raping an unsuspecting player's defenseless units. Similar to FE6 Hard Mode the difficulty starts extremely high in the early chapters, and Marcus use is basically required, then things sort of level off at a reasonable level at about the mid-game.

Personally, I find the allowed amount of unit deployments to be fairly on the restrictive side, as if I recall, many maps that previously supported 10, now have a max of 8, often making bringing that second healer questionable, or otherwise forcing difficult decisions. If you always play with a tiny core team and a large benchwarming squad, this probably won't be an issue for you, though personally I find it aggravating. Maybe it's fault on my memory, but I seem to recall FE6 HM being more lenient on deployment slots comparatively.

All comments based from a ranked playthrough perspective, any abuse, dallying, defensive turtling strategies are not considered in the evaluation, except in FEDS where they are somewhat required for your very survival.

Sure there is, it's just the same as what's displayed. 67% displayed Hit would be a 67% chance to hit.

And that must be why SNES FE fans refer to the 2 RN system as "improper". :facepalm:

And that must be why SNES FE fans refer to the 2 RN system as "improper". :facepalm:

it is improper if the game tells me I have 99% hit I want to be able to know I have 99% and not 99.99% or whatever it is.

The two RN system is stupid. Why was it created? To make the game easier? In FE11 it seems like it only makes the game harder unless the unit has crazy avoid since the max avoid is 70 [(30 Luck/2)+30 Speed+WTA+Terrain]. 70 may be a lot, but for this to happen the unit needs maxed Speed and Luck, be standing on a Throne, Gate, Mountain or the Sea, and also happen to have a weapon with WTA. Average avoid is well below 70. Since all hits above 50 are more accurate, this helps enemies and allies.

FE5 Elite Mode is easier than HHM if you warpskip the hard chapters and skip 24x, you can't warpskip and get there at the same time. 24x is also a gigantic pain to warpskip if you want to save the special character there, since it's an escape chapter. Elite definitely makes the fighting much easier.

Also, there isn't anything wrong with the FE1-5 RNGs, it's just bad luck. If it were just a table of numbers like NES FF1, then maybe you'd have a valid case.

it is improper if the game tells me I have 99% hit I want to be able to know I have 99% and not 99.99% or whatever it is.

It IS... but the games don't tell you that. They say that you have 99 _ hit, and that that affects your chance of hitting. Not that that is your percent chance of hitting.

The two RN system is stupid. Why was it created? To make the game easier?

Yes. FEs 4 and 5 were really gay at times, so it was changed I guess.

It IS... but the games don't tell you that. They say that you have 99 _ hit, and that that affects your chance of hitting. Not that that is your percent chance of hitting.

when it gives you a number between 1 and 100 for things the natural assumption is % not some mystery formula.

when it gives you a number between 1 and 100 for things the natural assumption is % not some mystery formula.

The mystery formula is only for figuring out what your actual probability is. The game itself simply "rolls" twice and averages it. That's hardly a mystery.

HHM is hard until the desert chapter, then the game is easy for awhile. I haven't played Night of Farewells onward yet, so I don't know if the difficulty picks up or not.

As for FE5's RNG, people need to remember that weapons in general were very inaccurate in FE5, probably so that skill is actually a useful stat to have for accuracy (and supports give boosts to accuracy as well), and if it's true that the majority of enemies have low AS (likely since a lot of them are mages of some sort), then that keeps their evasion in check.

If it's about missing at 80% chances to hit, then change your perspective to consider that it's a 20% chance to miss, something similar to getting hit by a Devil Axe or scoring a critical hit. Same for enemies, if they're seeing 35% chance to hit, then while you have decent dodge, you need to be prepared to take a hit anyhow.

The two RN system is there to cater to people's intuitions of low and high percentages, which are "nearly never" and "almost always", even though 20% means that the event is going to occur one out of every 5 times over an infinite amount of trials and 25% means that the event will occur 1 out of every four times over an infinite number of trials.

Edited by Al Davis?