S Rank Tier List for FE7

Life

Responding to only the Hawkeye part, Bal. I may or may not pursue Canas > Fiora depending on how much evidence I can put forth for Canas.

This would seem reasonable to me (Hawkeye's forced chapters are amazing for him, and everything he does after that is pure gravy), but then I noticed you're not actually arguing him over anyone he wasn't already over, and just arguing for a readjustment in the general tier strata. I tend to agree with the view that Mekkah put forward a while back that there are far too many unwarranted and artificial tier gaps, when the actual gap in ability isn't that noticeable. Does Hawkeye's awesome out of the box and forced chapters make him better than Heath's flying utility and reasonable performance. Probably. Is it a tier gap better? :shrug: I'd be hard pressed to agree, but maybe this is just me being biased to any unit with wings.

I tend to see the Upper Mid vs. Lower Mid tiers as being the difference between "slightly good" and "mediocre". The line that separates the good from the bad, basically. Hawkeye is more than just mediocre as he's forced in a chapter that negates magic while sporting 50 HP and an axe that makes him one hit kill anything that looks at him funny. I could potentially see him going higher too based on his performance towards Tactics but he becomes a bit of an Exp sucking machine for the next couple of chapters until promotions start. Geitz is similar except for the fact that he can use bows to weaken instead of kill enemies without many counters, before considering his edge in true combat.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oswin is still amazing in the lategame, just not in Chapter 28, lol. That chapter is horrible for him. Otherwise, there's tons of shit he can do due to enemy density, chokepoints, etc. He actually has decent 1~2 range due to massive Atk. I think he's on par with the Cavaliers overall. They are all much better than him later on, but Oswin has a brief earlygame period of h4x. I don't think being awesome for a few tiny chapters exceeds the turn-shaving and enemy raping that the Cavaliers can do later on in much larger chapters. Oswin isn't Marcus in the earlygame and Marcus is even comparable to him much later on.

I did mention how Fiora and Florina should be a lot closer (tbh Florina doesn't have that much more of a stellar period than Fiora) and seeing Fiora under some of those units is kind of iffy. I'll address more later.

Oswin is still amazing in the lategame, just not in Chapter 28, lol. That chapter is horrible for him. Otherwise, there's tons of shit he can do due to enemy density, chokepoints, etc. He actually has decent 1~2 range due to massive Atk. I think he's on par with the Cavaliers overall. They are all much better than him later on, but Oswin has a brief earlygame period of h4x. I don't think being awesome for a few tiny chapters exceeds the turn-shaving and enemy raping that the Cavaliers can do later on in much larger chapters. Oswin isn't Marcus in the earlygame and Marcus is even comparable to him much later on.

Here's a list of all the chapters that start with 15 and whether or not I personally feel that Oswin should be deployed:

15 - Absolutely. Doesn't even need a reason.

16 - Probably to either defend Merlinus when that Cavs appear or to help out in the woods where everyone's mobility is restricted.

17 - No.

17x - He's vital. Oswin!Horseslayer will knock Darius down to less than 10 HP in two hits, allowing for an easy kill by a scrub unit.

18 - Yes. He can hold a bridge quite easily here.

19 - No. Name of the game here is speed and since there aren't many enemies (or an Axereaver in the convey), Oswin's not exactly optimal.

19x - I'd actually say yes here. There are quite a few Knights in the way of the army and a small wall in front of your guys allows Oswin to catch up with them.

19xx - Truth be told, I don't play this chapter. I try to avoid 0 chapters like the plague.

20 - I'm on the fence here. I wouldn't field him but I can see him getting some use.

21 - Yes. Wyverns everywhere.

22 - Whatever floats your boat. You could stopper up the Swordreaver Fighters with him but any non-sword unit would be as good as him.

23 - He's as useful as that's restricted. Probably better to take him than the Cavs.

23x - Yes. He'll be a good wall when facing the enemy Generals.

24 - Yes. More wyverns and a lot of sword units when you start out.

25 - I'd love to say yes but seeing that 3 turn clear that Dondon pulled off makes me think that he's not fully needed.

26 - Yes. It's a survive chapter, why wouldn't I bring him?

27 - If he's promoted by now and I've pulled Kenneth's map, I say bring him. He's an absolute terror once inside the building.

28 - No. No reasoning needed.

28x - You're restricted by the paths so I'd say yes because mobility doesn't mean squat if you can't move.

29 - Yes. You're going to be bottled up by the Generals down the middle, the Paladins and Nomad Troops on the right and the Heroes on the left. Plus there's wyverns and Vaida behind you. Mobility means nothing down those paths.

30 - No.

31 - Yes. It's a defend chapter.

31x - Doesn't matter.

32 - He's great down the middle path, last time I checked. This one is another judgment call, though.

32x - Again, I don't play this chapter.

Final - Sit him in front of Lloyd or Linus. Doubt they'll scratch him (they probably will but he's got a much easier chance of surviving then say... Sain).

Out of 26 chapters (2 of which I don't play in ranking runs), Oswin should not get fielded 4 times for a fact and 9/10 of the maps should feature him. The rest could go either way but the point is that his mobility isn't so bad that it absolutely kills him. 19 Def at 20/0 also says "Go ahead and double me, I'll laugh at your 2 damage a hit". He's a great unit but he's no Raven. At the same time though, he doesn't suck as much as you claim to get the Cavs to move past him.

Yeah, the bossy attitude where "this is my tier list and unit A will never be above unit B while I'm around" is not good. Obviously the attitude is usually not so obvious, but my quote there is kinda the idea you are against, right?

Yep. Of course people will rarely come out and actually say something like that (though I can remember a couple times when someone almost did), but it's obvious that those attitudes do exist. Certain arguments will be ignored entirely even though no one disagrees with them, while others are quickly accepted before discussion of them has even died down, etc.

Yeah, I was counting you. You seemed opposed to the idea in general, so I counted you. If you would have picked Life Admiral then I obviously must retract my statement about there being 2 opposed.

I do recognize someone has to post the list and make edits, there's just no alternative, and I would've picked Life for that job out of the available candidates. But the whole concept does bug me, because it's been very difficult for people to do this objectively (imo, at least). People often don't seem to view it as performing a necessary service, but rather as a right to rule or control the list to some extent.

Probably and I'd say underestimating Fiora. But I'm just trying to make a case for Canas here. Aside from his base Spd and the fact that he loses AS from Flux, he's quite solid. You can toss him a Body Ring instead of a Guiding Ring to up his Luna AS and use him as a lategame sniper on like Denning or Limstella (Thor's Ire will knock his Crit up to 35) without having to promote him.

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with Canas moving up. I disagree with the arguments made against Fiora, in particular her performance relative to Florina. Perhaps they both should move up?

I've always assumed the perfect S Rank run. By this I mean perfectly tying both Tactics and Exp.

I disagree that the player should be assumed as only barely meeting the requirements; if that's all you need, then a lot of differences between units are meaningless. Geitz may fight better than Wallace, but you can still meet the Tactics requirement while using Wallace, so who cares? There's a lot of room to overkill the ranks, so it would be better to assume the player is trying to rape the ranks as much as he can, not just barely scrape past the requirements. This would make differences between units always matter, even small ones; Canas might only be slightly better for Exp than Erk, but that little extra Exp that Canas's team has over Erk's still counts, as Canas's team rapes the Exp rank just a little bit more.

17 - No

I always bring Oswin here because he can solo the reinforcements that come in near Merlinus. The only others who can do this (in my experience at least) are Marcus and Hector, but Hector needs to move in on the throne and Marcus needs to help him get there. Without Oswin you have to use like 2-3 units to handle those reinforcements, or else not kill them (minus Exp rank) and let Merlinus die (sort of annoying, but not really significant I guess).

29 - Yes. You're going to be bottled up by the Generals down the middle, the Paladins and Nomad Troops on the right and the Heroes on the left. Plus there's wyverns and Vaida behind you. Mobility means nothing down those paths.

Are you sure you're not thinking of EHM? HHM CoD is almost 100% magic enemies.

In HHM these maps are >90% magic enemies with no melee units (Kishuna's guard of Swordmaster, Hero, Sniper, General in Genesis, and the 2 Heros, one Bandit, a Sniper on CoD). Just saying.

In HHM these maps are >90% magic enemies with no melee units (Kishuna's guard of Swordmaster, Hero, Sniper, General in Genesis, and the 2 Heros, one Bandit, a Sniper on CoD). Just saying.

Are you sure you're not thinking of EHM? HHM CoD is almost 100% magic enemies.

Mixed up the modes again. Whoops. I've played Eliwood's story so much more than Hector's just because of the number of times I've lost my data and had to beat ENM and then HNM just to get to HHM. And I think HNM has physical enemies on CoD which would explain why I said what I said.

Edited by Admiral Lifey Crunch

I disagree that the player should be assumed as only barely meeting the requirements; if that's all you need, then a lot of differences between units are meaningless. Geitz may fight better than Wallace, but you can still meet the Tactics requirement while using Wallace, so who cares? There's a lot of room to overkill the ranks, so it would be better to assume the player is trying to rape the ranks as much as he can, not just barely scrape past the requirements. This would make differences between units always matter, even small ones; Canas might only be slightly better for Exp than Erk, but that little extra Exp that Canas's team has over Erk's still counts, as Canas's team rapes the Exp rank just a little bit more.

That makes the "exchange rate" question for overkilling ranks more pertinent. How much funds overkill is worth one less turn of tactics overkill? Etc (And God forbid we bring up combat rank overkill).

That makes the "exchange rate" question for overkilling ranks more pertinent. How much funds overkill is worth one less turn of tactics overkill? Etc (And God forbid we bring up combat rank overkill).

Indeed. Unfortunately, that's also a very difficult question to answer. I think it's pretty clear that Tactics and Experience are considered to be much, much more difficult than the other 3 ranks, so those two should be getting strong priority over Funds (Survival isn't really relevant to tier discussions anyway, and everything that benefits Combat also benefits Tactics, so that's w/e). As for the "exchange rate" between Tactics and Exp, I don't know how to handle that. Obviously both have weight, but the question of exactly how much weight each one gets is ultimately subjective, so I don't see a good answer to it.

I'd probably assume the usual of a low turn count with some periods or rotation, but trying to compare units when doing rotations is sort of odd... Though I guess you could aim for who's more optimal to deploy in that chapter, etc.

I merely think that Combat and Exp should be given the most weight. Funds, well, I wouldn't be a prick and allow them some special weapons if they wanted it (and since the main goal is S Ranking it by endgame there's a lot of leniency). Unless we're trying to 5 Star each chapter, which would be a different ballad to sign perhaps.

Is Oswin even deployable in 31? IIRC he isn't in HM.

Is Oswin even deployable in 31? IIRC he isn't in HM.

Sands of Time, why wouldn't he be? Also, the save state I got from Mekkah shows him as deployable. I think I saved over that on my cart with Epilogue data, so can't double check there.

To me, there's something wrong in the Upper Mid and Lower Mid tiers. I made a giant post on GameFAQs and I figured it's better to post it here too and see what your take on it is.

Let's look at all of the Upper and Lower Mid characters. Something here isn't right and most of this comes from Chief's points about Bartre vs. Dorcas.

-Upper Mid-

Pent

Lucius

Harken

Dorcas

Geitz

Legault

Fiora

Canas

-Lower Mid-

Hawkeye

Heath

Athos

Lyn

Isadora

Jaffar

Bartre

Pent - Right spot for him. What keeps him out of High for me is the giant lack of availability and then being tied down with a Louise support. IcexLight isn't horrible... But Louise is which makes it problematic. Auto A is nice, though. Everything else about him is great and the A staves is just the icing on the cake.

Lucius - His defense is the problem. Glass Cannon doesn't even begin to describe him, it's more like Straw Bazooka. Fantastic offense, horrible durability, C staves on promotion but won't promote until the 3rd or 4th Guiding Ring... Can he move down? Possibly.

Harken - If we penalize Karel for taking away Harken and the Brave Sword, it stands to reason that we should penalize Harken from taking away Karel and the Wo Dao. Aside from that and his late availability, he really doesn't have any problems as the Isadora support he has is fast and both can be used in the lategame.

Dorcas - Discussed in this topic and the previous one but I'll recap. As much as Chief would hate to admit it, he's probably the second best offensive weapon you have in the early game thanks to the LHM bonus levels. But once you get past those first couple of levels, his speed and defense problems start to appear while Bartre grows stronger than him. My own opinion of him is that his early game is much better than Chief would give him credit for and his lategame is much worse than Mori would give him credit for.

Geitz - If God was ugly as sin, there's a pretty good chance he'd look like this guy. Geitz doesn't come as late as Pent or Harken but not as early as Fiora or Canas (who are both below him, go figure). But then again, he has a free promotion, gets all entitled access to the Brave Bow and probably any Killer Bows you buy from the Secret Shop in 20. Comes as a low level prepromote with HHM inflated bases and just generally destroys stuff. Dorcas above him is something I don't agree with.

Legault - Thieving utility and if we promote a thief, he's probably going to be the guy who gets the Fell Contract. Even though Inui on SF put forth a rather ludicrous way to gain a stupidly high amount of Exp in 32x which involves promoting Legault, I have to admit that if we can get away with using the Fell Contract, it seems like a good way to get a leg up on the Exp requirement as long as we don't mess up Tactics. Aside from that, he's a thief.

Fiora - She could probably stand to move up. She's the second flier and since fliers are important in this game, she has a rather important role. Is there a tier difference between her and Flo? I say no but I like my Peg Knights in general.

Canas - Move up. I can toss him the Body Ring (his only real competition for this thing is Isadora IIRC) and he now loses 3 AS when sniping late game bosses like Denning or Sonia with Luna. Thor's Ire will knock his Crit up to ~35. The guy doesn't need to be promoted to do significant damage in the late game.

Hawkeye - He'll probably end up moving to the bottom of Upper Mid as nobody's really opposed it yet. I personally think that Hawkeye is the stepping stone between "slightly good" and "mediocre" as he misses out on half the game, is a strain on the Exp rank, is fantastic in his joining chapter and Genesis right afterward and then just cruises along for the rest of the game.

Heath - Honestly, I'm sick and tired of dealing with Heath now. If we recruit Farina, she gets the 3rd Elysian Whip because it's a waste of 20k otherwise. If we don't, there's really no guarantee that Heath will promote thanks to Vaida doing a very similar job as him (and she's actually not that bad at it) and the fact that he can't get played in 23 thanks to it being a FoW chapter while he's underleveled. I'm personally biased against him but I know where my limits are. He could possibly move down but he does have flying utility.

Athos - I personally put Athos on the list (as in argued him to this spot and nobody's touched it since) with the intent of putting him in striking range of the desert man. That being said, Athos has very small negatives that outweigh his very small positive IMO. He is your Tactics rank in Light with his two Prf tomes that do stupidly high damage but hurts the Exp rank of the last chapter by gaining 0 for any work he does. You need 3000 Exp in Light (30 levels in 10 turns, basically) and not only does Athos contribute nothing to that rank, but he in fact takes away from it by hurting any possible Exp gain by any other of your units. If we count Marcus' early game as a negative towards Exp when he gains 4 for a kill versus Eliwood who gains 30, then what does that say about Greybeard here?

Lyn - I've been arguing for this girl to go up since the beginning of time and nobody's done anything about it. She has her own Prf weapon that costs nothing and has 45 uses that can get double the uses if you spend 600 Gold on a Hammerne use. She's given access to an Angelic Robe in her mode which she can use to nullify her durability issues without hurting the HHM Funds rank. She's forced in certain chapters which is better than knocking out a better unit. And she gets a Prf weapon at the end of the game so as long as she has more than 37 HP, she can do some hurt to the Dragon. Obviously I'm slightly passionate about moving her up the list and I know what her faults are but she just gets spat on way too much.

Isadora - Rather decent with pretty big problems and pretty nice returns if you can get past those problems. Her Con is probably the biggest problem of all as it always sits at a paltry 6. She's probably the other contestant for the Body Ring and she uses it just as well as Canas does, believe it or not. 8 Def and 6 Res isn't exactly wonderful but a 40 +4 support with Harken gives her 15 Avo, 1 Def and 15 Crit, which helps out her durability and gives Harken a nice amount of power with the extra Crit. She's not bad at being a Paladin, she's just mediocre when compared to the other 4 horse riders.

Bartre - Must I recap him? He gets doubled in his early game by a couple of enemies, has a medium speed support with... *gasp* Dorcas which give 5 Avo when it's a C (realistically won't be higher than a C) and doesn't have great Hit, not to mention terrible durability throughout his adult life. If you spend some time with him for a while, he'll probably end up better than Dorcas but he suffer from a disease called 'willnotpromoteitis' in which Raven and Guy snag the first 2 Hero Crests and the third one isn't guaranteed to be used for the sake of Funds.

Jaffar - I've said it once and I'll say it again. Jaffar is a combat unit in the same sense that ordering combo number 4 at a KFC means that you are dining at a 4* restaurant. Assassins have always seemed like a gimmick class to me and Jaffar is really no exception. He gets an Exp boost when he hits Silencer but it doesn't happen that often and he's only got 7 levels to capitalize on it so it just seems all for naught. He could stand to move down but I'm not going to push hard (or push at all for that matter) on the issue.

And that's where we stand. Something is off here and I can't figure out what it is. As much as I think that Canas and Fiora should move up, where can they go? Harken and Pent are better units than them (Harken for combat prowess and lack of needing a promo item while Pent has staff utility and is arguably the best magic user in the game) and only suffer because of the lack of availability. It's just so convoluted in my mind.

I have Oswin promoted in chapter 18 every time, a few levels early if necessary. He stomps everyone else into the dirt by such a much margin during the next ten or so chapters that anything short of top tier feels unreasonable.

19 - No. Name of the game here is speed and since there aren't many enemies (or an Axereaver in the convey), Oswin's not exactly optimal.

I usually have the majority of my units go south, and Oswin covers the east bridge, or the one island with the snags, allowing someone like Raven or Guy or Lyn to take on the pirate reinforcements in peace.

20 - I'm on the fence here. I wouldn't field him but I can see him getting some use.

Oswin is a perfect candidate for hugging the walls in this chapter to get ranged enemies to attack him. Whether the Archers to the right of Merlinus (one has a Killer Bow), or the Mage reinforcements from that wall, or the ones inside the central room, he can all do it.

Like CoD, you're confusing it too much with Wood's story. In HHM, there is only one General, and it's the one in Kishuna's room (he and the Sniper/Hero are the only melee enemies on the map...the Swordmaster uses Light Brand). Doesn't mean he shouldn't be deployed at all since his hp/res proportions are quite good, especially when Pure Water'd, and he has 1-2 range while hitting on def...though his mobility bites you in the ass when you try to rush towards long-range threats in this chapter.

I have Oswin promoted in chapter 18 every time, a few levels early if necessary. He stomps everyone else into the dirt by such a much margin during the next ten or so chapters that anything short of top tier feels unreasonable.

I usually solo LHM with Sain so that he's around level 10 upon rejoining, then I focus more kills and Exp onto him during Hector's story. Around Dread Isle I give him a slightly early promotion and he's looking like this.

17/1 Sain: 18.6 Str, 13.4 Spd----33.8 Hp, 11.2 Def, 36.4 Avo (+3 move, +swords, +axes)

15 Oswin: 15.4 Str, 6.8 Spd----33.4 Hp, 16.3 Def, 18.7 Avo

Anything short of top tier for Sain feels unreasonable.

Oswin has one of the best Res stats for a non-magic unit in the game. He has a full defensive affinity. Why is magic an issue for him? He can be doubled by a Valk and not really care much. He has so much HP and Res after promotion. He one-rounds anything he can double (aka everything but the Valks, a Sniper, and two Heroes) and he does massive damage to the Valks and can OHKO them. I think Oswin is one of the MVPs of CoD.

I don't think he's top tier, but I have Oswin promote on or after the Pirate Ship consistently as well, and then I can still S rank the game easily, if not more easily since I have a 100% invincible units. Supports make him immune to Luna criticals, and that's the only thing that can ever kill an overleveled Oswin.

Oswin has one of the best Res stats for a non-magic unit in the game. He has a full defensive affinity. Why is magic an issue for him? He can be doubled by a Valk and not really care much. He has so much HP and Res after promotion. He one-rounds anything he can double (aka everything but the Valks, a Sniper, and two Heroes) and he does massive damage to the Valks and can OHKO them. I think Oswin is one of the MVPs of CoD.

Horseslayer is 14 Mt (actually it's the same as silver lance), and you need 40 Atk to start OHKO'ing Valks, so Oswin needs 26 Str. That happens around 20/17 or 20/18. Probably reasonable on your game where you give Oswin 60% of all the kills in the game, but in general, I'd say not. They're also sporting ~40 Avo, so he can miss. Halberd has enough Mt to make an OHKO reasonable, but it misses even more (60 Hit ftl); Oswin struggles to break 70% hit with it. And his ranged counter obviously isn't doing anything special. I'm not impressed.

Defensively, he's getting doubled, so he's doing poorly by default. A 20/1 Kent is 3HKO'd by a 24 Atk Thunder Valk; on average, Oswin will be 2RKO'd by the same enemy until 20/10.

Edited by CATS

Halberd + Dorcas supports for some Hit.

Oswin is more than 20/10 in CoD for me. >_>; I don't give him 60% of the kills, rofl. I just use him.

Dorcas B is 81 turns iirc and +5 hit. He can still miss, and have fun justifying an 81 turn support with another unit who also gets doubled by valks, with less Res than Oswin.

Well, in a comparison, if we give the other unit the same treatment you give Oswin, he still loses. So w/e. A 20/15 Oswin OHKOs the valks and doesn't get doubled by most of them, but a 20/15 Kent does the same with more accuracy and alot more move, and can now double and 2HKO some of the valks from range with a javelin, which Oswin still can't do.

Edited by CATS

Halberd + Dorcas supports for some Hit.

Oswin is more than 20/10 in CoD for me. >_>; I don't give him 60% of the kills, rofl. I just use him.

I'm with CATS on this one. How do you have a unit like Oswin who has that mobility disadvantage at a level like 20/13 or something like that at CoD?

And a Dorcas support is very unlikely. 41 turns for 2 Hit and an extra 40 turns for 3 more Hit is ridiculous to put it lightly and just wrong if I wanted to be brutally honest.

The only supports that are realistic are +3 supports to end with a B or A and +2 for a C at best. Dorcas probably won't even get played in CoD because he probably won't be promoted (unless he's magically better than a promoted Raven, Guy or Bartre as Bartre would potentially be the better person to promote if you want me to pull up the numbers) so I highly doubt he's there to help Oswin with Hit issues.

Dorcas B is 81 turns iirc and +5 hit. He can still miss, and have fun justifying an 81 turn support with another unit who also gets doubled by valks, with less Res than Oswin.

Well, in a comparison, if we give the other unit the same treatment you give Oswin, he still loses. So w/e. A 20/15 Oswin OHKOs the valks and doesn't get doubled by most of them, but a 20/15 Kent does the same with more accuracy and alot more move, and can now double and 2HKO some of the valks from range with a javelin, which Oswin still can't do.

Kent is better than Oswin. I stated the Cavaliers should be above him from the start.

Fiora also comes with an Axereaver in Hector's mode. Those Pirates are actually pretty good exp. She can sit there taking on the pirates coming at Merlinus from the top for some exp. Or she's also helpful in rescuing and dropping units in the forest infested area around Uhai, as long as you keep her out of range.

Kent is better than Oswin. I stated the Cavaliers should be above him from the start.

Okay then, 20/15 Florina. She has 27 speed, so she's also doubling some with the javelin (though less than Kent, but still, more than Oswin) and can 2HKO with her 26 Atk vs mid 30's Hp/7-8 Def. On player phase she consistently one-rounds with an iron lance. She still has a ton more movement than Oswin and the durability gap is bigger still (17-18 Res on Florina; she's taking single-digit damage). No matter how you slice it, Oswin just isn't good on CoD.