Ike and Elincia

The developers got pretty lazy with the paired supports in RD.

And aside from Ike, most of their paired supports are really hard to actually get them to A. Well, I suppose things like Naesala + Leanne can be done fairly easily if you actually take her to 4-E. Even Geoffrey + Elincia wouldn't be impossible. But pretty much all of them require you to do something really inefficient. Including the Ike ones. Not that I.S. has ever actually cared about that or anything.

Why couldn't they have pairings of units that actually go well together and have guaranteed 10+ chapters (together) to their names? Ah well.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Pairing Ike with Ranulf is pretty darn easy seeing as he is forced most of the time.

I never said that Ike x Ranulf was hard. I said Ike's were the easy ones. I just said that Ike's special pairings were "really inefficient". And they are. Ike x Ranulf on any mode and Ike x Soren on HM are really bad pairings as far as efficiency is concerned. Boyd x Mist is another one that is easy and bad (and creepy).

When I was lamenting the fact that they didn't make any pairings that "go well together" I was talking about how if you actually want to make efficient supports then none of I.S.'s special pairings will exist. Even Sothe x Micaiah.

BoydxMist also nets you a free Spirit Dust, so it isn't all bad. Plus, I'm not seeing how FirexWater is inefficient. I guess the issue is that Mist can't be very close to enemies, while Boyd should be. I personally always support them if I'm not actually using either of them.

I personally keep Sothe and Micaiah together as well. It's not worth the chapters where they have nothing/C/B just so Micaiah can gain marginally better durability by supporting Volug or something. Sothe does as well with Dark as anything else, and no support fixes Micaiah's big problems (low Spd, terrible concrete durability).

Edited by -Cynthia-

BoydxMist also nets you a free Spirit Dust, so it isn't all bad. Plus, I'm not seeing how FirexWater is inefficient. I guess the issue is that Mist can't be very close to enemies, while Boyd should be. I personally always support them if I'm not actually using either of them.

Well, Boyd doesn't really need more attack. The +def is nice, but when you can have a nice Boyd/Oscar or Boyd/Shinon to shore up Boyd's durability, the additional speed on Boyd/Mist is no longer as impressive.

I personally keep Sothe and Micaiah together as well. It's not worth the chapters where they have nothing/C/B just so Micaiah can gain marginally better durability by supporting Volug or something. Sothe does as well with Dark as anything else, and no support fixes Micaiah's big problems (low Spd, terrible concrete durability).

Well, they should never have a 'nothing' anyway. They don't need to break off their support to start building a C. In addition, Micaiah has accelerated supports with everyone and their cat and can heal, and given she's one of two DB choices for a +atk support and the other is Leonardo... it's a bit of a waste of a +atk support when Sothe is so worthless in Part 4.

Edited by Anouleth

Boyd/Oscar or Boyd/Shinon

Personally, I think Ike/Oscar is a better combo just because I'm a sucker for EarthxEarth, that +45 avoid is AMAZING on a unit like Ike and even Oscar, toss Oscar daunt and they're pretty much dodging everything in sight. And wouldn't Boyd/Gatrie be a better combo? An A support nets them 2 ATK 2 DEF, and 15 hit which Boyd would like. Hell, even Gatrie doesn't mind. Also sometimes you don't want Shinon too close to a bunch of enemies seeing as he lacks decent 1-range for a looooong time. Although MistxBoyd is pretty ideal if you want that spirit dust, and 3 ATK, 2 DEF and 8 hit isn't too shabby, although Mist is pretty frail so sometimes you're going to end up positioning her more than three spaces away from Boyd.

Personally, I think Ike/Oscar is a better combo just because I'm a sucker for EarthxEarth, that +45 avoid is AMAZING on a unit like Ike and even Oscar, toss Oscar daunt and they're pretty much dodging everything in sight. And wouldn't Boyd/Gatrie be a better combo? An A support nets them 2 ATK 2 DEF, and 15 hit which Boyd would like. Hell, even Gatrie doesn't mind. Also sometimes you don't want Shinon too close to a bunch of enemies seeing as he lacks decent 1-range for a looooong time. Although MistxBoyd is pretty ideal if you want that spirit dust, and 3 ATK, 2 DEF and 8 hit isn't too shabby, although Mist is pretty frail so sometimes you're going to end up positioning her more than three spaces away from Boyd.

Ike x Oscar is a waste, really. The extra avoid on Ike is unecessary and Mia >>> Oscar offensively. Well, Mia w/ Adept >>> Oscar w/ Adept. Probably Mia w/out Adept > Oscar w/out Adept offensively. She's still considerably better which justifies the Mia x Ike support, but if you aren't considering Adept then it's not a stomping anymore.

Boyd would probably rather have avo than hit. His hit isn't amazing or anything, but thanks to forges there is little reason to care. There is no real purpose for the extra hit outside of hammers, but that's not enough of a reason and he still gets +8 hit from his own support anyway. And the absolute last thing he needs is more mt. Between his rockin' strength and his own fire he's 2HKOing nearly everything anyway. If there was a +AS support or something then he'd want that (lots of units would, actually) but it doesn't exist so :P Boyd.

Now, if you aren't seriously using Boyd then it may be possible to pull an A rank support using 3-P, 3-1, 3-2, 3-5 because she has staves. Probably not, though, and there aren't any other "free" chapters before the convo needs to happen. Well, 3-10 gives you a fair number of slots so maybe that one. Mist could support with a unit that is being used lots but not taken to 4-E. A fair amount of units do like water and Mist has no reason not to be deployed all the way until 4-4 ends.

Just saying it's not a terrible idea like Ike x Soren (in HM) or Ike x Ranulf (ever) but Mist x Boyd and Sothe x Micaiah aren't their best supports. (I'd go into Micaiah's situation, but others already have.)

And MicaiahxIke is just...wrong. Why do people always like pairing people that are rivals? I mean, Micaiah and Ike aren't exactly rivals, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, you're quite right here. IkeXMicaiah is exactly wrong. They're just allies and fighting for each other. There are no relationships here.

But one more thing. I don't think that IkeXOscar or IkeXSoren is a good idea. I just consider that those are brotherly love, not gay or sumthings...

Edited by RidellCrimea

you sillies, Ike's OTP is definitely Ranulf. oh yes.

and i'm still waiting for the Radiant Dawn Book 2, where Geoffrey goes batshit insane because he finds out that Elincia loves Ike.

hey, it wouldn't be the first time IS recycles plot points

Edited by Champion Cynthia

Am I the only one who rolled with the fact that Elincia outgrew her infatuation with Ike and went for Geoffrey instead???

I do declare: Most people support the Elincia X Ike pair because it's the standard FE Fare. But what do I know? I'm just an enslaved weapon. *grumble*

I'm on the IkexElincia side, as many people might know by now. I've never done their support though, since I use Oscar way too much. xP

Still, I've seen some of the quotes online and analyzed them to see if they could support my theories and they quite do. But that's for the pairings topic in General Fire Emblem.

Anyway, I also agree that Elincia seems to be more interested in Ike than anyone else. What I really wish IS had done was given us choices like in FE7. In FE7, we could have Lyn end up with Eliwood, Hector, Kent, or Rath for example. How come depending on supports, we couldn't choose between Ike/Elincia or Geoffrey/Elincia? It would have made a lot more fans of IkexElincia happy, that's for sure.

Also, the classic ending of the hero and princess getting together is one cliche that should stay alive, because it's sweet. <3

Edited by Eternal Bond

Am I the only one who rolled with the fact that Elincia outgrew her infatuation with Ike and went for Geoffrey instead???

I've said this before, but I think I should say it again: IS was just too lazy with pairings, did you notice they mostly pair Lords or some forced characters? It's as if IS thought "You know, I don't feel like pairing the ton of characters here and even making support convos, just pair them with he closest one they got". And that's how we have Ike without any ladies.

How is that a response to what I said...?

Anyway. It's more like they got too greedy and the sheer number of supports they wanted in looked too big and THEN they got lazy and said, "FUCK it. Just do some obvious ones."

and i'm still waiting for the Radiant Dawn Book 2, where Geoffrey goes batshit insane because he finds out that Elincia loves Ike.

I can't believe I missed this. xP

I'm actually writing a short story where something similar to this happens, except Geoffrey doesn't go nuts simply because Elincia left him for Ike. In fact, at the beginning of my fic, Dawn of Darkness, he's fully understanding and respects Elincia's wishes because he cares about her enough. But in my short story, which happens at the same time as DoD (only later chapters, obviously), Geoffrey becomes so angry and so mad because of all the respect for Ike and Elincia, that it's making him believe no one, not even his own knights, has anymore faith in him to provide the same strength Ike had. As a result, Geoffrey goes insane with anger and hatred because he thinks no one believes in him and Ike took Elincia away. He thinks Ike ruined his whole life, basically.

It's pretty ironic since he promised Elincia in DoD chapter 1 that he would not interfere and technically he indirectly does with this event.

Ah, irony is awesome. :3