Fire Emblem NES Translation

Quirino

Thanks. I have a question, though. I have space issues with the names for various classes, such as Armor Knight, Pegasus Knight and Social Knight. Would you prefer for version 2.0 'A Knight, P Knight and S Knight' like it is right now, or 'ArmorKnt' 'PegasKnt' and 'SocialKn' for example?

Or just 'Armor', 'Pegasus' and 'Social' like the Fire Emblem 3 translation? I need some opinions please... I'm planning to make as little use of squished tiles as possible simply because I think it doesn't look professional...

For weapons I only have space for 8 characters (7 including the icon). Shall I make use of squished tiles or just make the name shorter? For example 'Falchon', 'Bolgnon' and 'Vulnery' (again like FE3) instead of 'Falchion', 'Bolganone' and 'Vulnenary'. If I want to do the full weapon names then I will have to use those squished tiles and that won't make it look better...

That also goes for character names for which I only have space for 6 characters. That means that I will either make names shorter or use squished tiles for Navarre, Ricardo, Minerva, Mishelan and Lawrence (2 characters). Please tell me which you prefer.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd keep A, P and S Knight for the retro feel.

For characters and weapons, I would try squished tiles first. Maybe test one or two names first to see if it looks acceptable and is fairly easy to implement.

Well, in one case you could use "Nabarl" as that's only 6 characters long and is an official translation (in the Euro version of FE11).

I'm using all of the characters' fan names and I will stick to that. It wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I really prefer those fan names ^_^'

Or just 'Armor', 'Pegasus' and 'Social' like the Fire Emblem 3 translation? I need some opinions please... I'm planning to make as little use of squished tiles as possible simply because I think it doesn't look professional...

For weapons I only have space for 8 characters (7 including the icon). Shall I make use of squished tiles or just make the name shorter? For example 'Falchon', 'Bolgnon' and 'Vulnery' (again like FE3) instead of 'Falchion', 'Bolganone' and 'Vulnenary'. If I want to do the full weapon names then I will have to use those squished tiles and that won't make it look better...

That also goes for character names for which I only have space for 6 characters. That means that I will either make names shorter or use squished tiles for Navarre, Ricardo, Minerva, Mishelan and Lawrence (2 characters). Please tell me which you prefer.

Use squishies when applicable and not ugly :) That can be easy or incredibly hard depending on your talents D:

Naturally, the 'i' and 'l' are fairly easy to make squishies with. Usually paired with a vowel.

And I'm for the S Knight P Knight, but A Knight seems a little out of place... In any case, it matches with the style of naming of the time, and also the games themselves.

Use squishies when applicable and not ugly :) That can be easy or incredibly hard depending on your talents D:

Naturally, the 'i' and 'l' are fairly easy to make squishies with. Usually paired with a vowel.

And I'm for the S Knight P Knight, but A Knight seems a little out of place... In any case, it matches with the style of naming of the time, and also the games themselves.

I think it's ugly all the time... I seriously do not like using it (except with the 'i' and 'l' as you stated), but I was kind of forced to because of space issues.

I will also have to look for some way to fit 'S Knight' in because that's one tile too many... In version 1.0 I had 'ig' squished, but that didn't look pretty at all. I think I will do something like S.Knight (with the period in the middle of the characters and squish that with the K). Do you agree with that?

But what about 'Bolganone' and 'vulnerary'? (I just realized today it's vulnerary and not vulnenary, which I had always thought and also used in version 1.0 Can't believe no one mentioned it :P) It will be impossible to fit in their full names unless I squish the whole name (like Lawrence in the patch) and again that looks ugly. Does someone mind if I just make 'Bolgnon' and 'Vulnery' of that?

I couldn't even edit the dialogue very without without running into weird must-be-there stops in text ._. So I know what you're talking about. King Mike at romhacking dot net had some edits which expanded the dialog boxes and allowed more text to be shown in the character info windows--his patch did screw up shops, but you could just use the part about expanding the borders of windows, not the part that allowed two lines of text to be displayed. That was the thing causing the problem most likely.

I think I might try that. I want to be sure that it will not bug the shops, however. The game becomes rather unplayable that way.

Quite so. That's why I'm almost sure it has to do with the double-line modification. That was directly editing existing text code to allow two spaces instead of one for items... and it wasn't properly tested. Obviously, making a patch intended for that one screen, but forgetting the shops use the same text, was asking for trouble. I think it never got fixed because the project was a bit lazy to begin with. With his notes and a little learning, you could possibly even fix up that code to work with the shops and caravans... but it's not necessary. Expanding the text windows should be your main goal, and shouldn't have any adverse effects on other code. You should just be increasing a value from, say, 08 to 0A to give you two more letter's-worth of space.

• 3 months later...

Still haven't had time to work on this patch. I have exams in May, though, so I think I'll simply start in June (provided I don't fail my exams of course), but I'd like to hear your opinion once more.

After the update of the Genealogy patch, which now uses official names for weapons and classes and such, I started to wonder if I should also use official character/weapon/class names. I've included a text file with all the name changes, so I'd like to hear your preference. I'll stick with the European Shadow Dragon names.

Still haven't had time to work on this patch. I have exams in May, though, so I think I'll simply start in June (provided I don't fail my exams of course), but I'd like to hear your opinion once more.

After the update of the Genealogy patch, which now uses official names for weapons and classes and such, I started to wonder if I should also use official character/weapon/class names. I've included a text file with all the name changes, so I'd like to hear your preference. I'll stick with the European Shadow Dragon names.

You can name them whatever you feel like. I'll be fine with it as long as the games translated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much effort it would take from you, but you could always do a fan-style patch with the fan localized names (Sheeda) and an official style patch with the European localized style (Shiida). I guess you could even do an American style patch too if you wish. Then again, I've had VERY little experience messing with roms and patching, so I'm not sure how viable that is for this game.

I'm using the patch from romhacking.net and I get these problems:

1) I tried using a thief's key when there was nothing around to open or unlock and I got a gibberish message.

2) In chapter 9, when the enemy cleric shouts something. it comes up as gibberish. (This is probably a call for reinforcements since it comes a few turns before the reinforcements). I think I may have gotten gibberish on another chapter as well when the enemy did that.

Those are lines that I oversaw... About the cleric in chapter 9, it shouts around that he's casting white magic. During my playthrough, I believe I've translated 3 of those lines, but this must be an overlooked fourth line...

Those two lines will be translated in version 2.0, thanks for telling me.

@Barrylocke: I may do that yeah... I'll have to see what I do with the extra space when I translate Lawrence to Lorenz or something, though. If it turns out I have to edit the whole text just because a name is one character shorter, I may not be willing to go through all that just for a simple name change. If it's doable I will release 3 versions: fan names, NOE names, NOA names.

I'd say NoA names should take precedence, because they are the official standard of the English-speaking community. Sorry, guys, but the fan names were just placeholders. We don't need to keep clinging to them, they've been officially replaced.

I don't think I ever saw such a cleric produce a good message, and I saw the bad message at least twice. I wonder if it's an emulator or ROM issue and not actually a problem with the patch.

I'm using fceugx on the Wii.

Actually, there are more buggy messages in the rom... I found a lot of them. The stat-boosting items, for instance. Also, the boss of chapter 12 says something before attacking, but the line is glitchy.

For the record, here's the same line in the U.S. version:

"Rebel pup! You dare defy Dolhr? Then writhe in the fires of Bolganone!"

I'd say NoA names should take precedence, because they are the official standard of the English-speaking community. Sorry, guys, but the fan names were just placeholders. We don't need to keep clinging to them, they've been officially replaced.

Yeah, fuck Europe and their fan names

I got gibberish from stat-boosting items too. One was the goddess item. I also got the chapter 12 glitch.

Chapter 16 starts out with a message containing "Thay", which obviously is supposed to be "That".

Do you really want a weapon called the Gradius? A gladius is an actual type of weapon--it's far more likely it refers to that than to Gradius.

I got gibberish from stat-boosting items too. One was the goddess item. I also got the chapter 12 glitch.

Chapter 16 starts out with a message containing "Thay", which obviously is supposed to be "That".

Do you really want a weapon called the Gradius? A gladius is an actual type of weapon--it's far more likely it refers to that than to Gradius.

A "gladius" is a sword, not a lance. NoA's version is "Gradivus"--that's probably what will be used.