What is your fear?

Ansem

Dying. My existence coming to an end

That's exactly what my fear is to. I love life too much to ever want to let go of it.

Yeah, it's a bitch of a fear, especially considering it is entirely inevitable.

Not really any cure for it either, although for me, it's made a little better by the fact that I believe in God and life after death. There's always that little voice in you that asks "well what if he doesn't exist" though, so it still scares me.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being alone. Solitude is important, but if I'm not around others for an extended period, I feel incredibly uncomfortable and bored. Any of my hobbies make me feel like I'm not contributing to society properly. Of course I'm not, but it's the feeling of inadequacy that unnerves me.

Also, I don't like spiders.

Dying. My existence coming to an end

That's exactly what my fear is to. I love life too much to ever want to let go of it.

Yeah, it's a bitch of a fear, especially considering it is entirely inevitable.

Not really any cure for it either, although for me, it's made a little better by the fact that I believe in God and life after death. There's always that little voice in you that asks "well what if he doesn't exist" though, so it still scares me.

I'm comfortable enough with believing in science. believing that after life there is just eternal nothingness sounds okay to me. eternal nothingness means nothing to worry about, I would like that.

that aside, spiders need more love!

Fears off the top of my head: Thinking like everyone else does, falling more than ten feet, bear traps, crappy art(no seriously I get panic attacks), things with two heads, being stuck with ghetto women, flying ceramic plates, torture, police, criminals, stupid teenagers with baseball bats, snipers, skate boarding, justified ridicule, falling debris, standing near heavy objects with a high center of gravity, and popular religious traditions.

On the flipside(to counter dark haters), I love being in the dark. The darker the better. Ninjitsu reasearch may have had something to do with that :unsure:

@ Whase

Eternal nothingness is exactly what I believe. There's no logical reason ever given to believe otherwise.

Edited by Phoenix

Forgot this as well but... LEECHES! If you've ever wanted to see a grown man leap up on a stool and try to lift his pants like a stereotypical 50's housewife who's just spotted a mouse, you just need to mention the possibility of there potentially being leeches somewhere within a distance of 100 yards of were I currently am. I... Kind of had a bad experience with them as a child... And I got a unwanted dose of it today when gardening and finding a slug on my hand. I almost flipped out until I realized it was a slug and calmed right down.

@ Phoenix: Why would you be afraid of thinking like other people? I mean, most people seem to think bathing is a good thing, so why? Just curious cause it seems like a odd fear and I now have a image of you flipping positions on a issue because someone agrees with you on it.

@ Snowy

Sorry, I was a bit vague on that one. I'm specifically afraid of "blindly following the general consensus of society". I think that's a better way to put it. After I do a bit of thinking/research on something and find that I agree or disagree with it myself, then I'll act on it how I choose, ignoring the more popular things if I have to.

I can't cover every area of life this way, but I can at least decide to do or believe most things because I choose to, not because everybody else does.

Does that make more sense?

I'm also afraid of cacti ... I live in the desert, you'd be afraid too -_-

Failure. Failing at something important, or in public, to be specific.

Failure. Failing at something important, or in public, to be specific.

I don't so much fear failure as I despise it. Ridicule for failure is definitely something I fearfully avoid.

I'm comfortable enough with believing in science. believing that after life there is just eternal nothingness sounds okay to me. eternal nothingness means nothing to worry about, I would like that.

that aside, spiders need more love!

Eternal nothingness doesn't mean you are staring at nothing, it means you don't exist.

Eternal nothingness doesn't mean you are staring at nothing, it means you don't exist.

Whase probably meant lack of conscious thought which is pretty much what you're saying.

Whase probably meant lack of conscious thought which is pretty much what you're saying.

I'm referring to a total absence of materials to facilitate thought period, and thus the lack of existence in any form.

Whase seems to be talking about some kind of eternal sleep, as far as I can tell.

Pretty much, which is why I find it frightening. I can be happy just sitting and thinking, but if I don't exist, I can't even do that. Problem is, even if the alternative was somehow possible, it would eventually end up just as bad.

I'm referring to a total absence of materials to facilitate thought period, and thus the lack of existence in any form.

Whase seems to be talking about some kind of eternal sleep, as far as I can tell.

I think all of us are referring to nonexistence as a whole.

@ Revan

What's so bad about completely not existing? That's way better than ending up on the Ghost Whisperer.

If Whase actually was referring to consciousness in an empty void, I'll chalk it up to personal preference.

I thought he meant complete death, no thoughts or capabilities ... essentially not existing.

New fear:

Finding out that the Catholic Heaven and Hell are actually real. Epic fail.

New fear:

Finding out that the Catholic Heaven and Hell are actually real. Epic fail.

That's actually something most atheist should be doybting, it'd be terrible if you were a good person and a non-believer. What then? I don't ignorance should be put to fault there...

If Whase actually was referring to consciousness in an empty void, I'll chalk it up to personal preference.

I thought he meant complete death, no thoughts or capabilities ... essentially not existing.

thanks Phoenix for explaining my point. it is indeed complete death, no thoughts or capabilities I was talking about.

there is nothing to fear if everything is gone, includes feelings, includes fear.

also, is there anyone who fears eternal life? I think people should, but then again, I don't fear it either...

First off, I'm not a Catholic, I'm a Baptist, so I don't know if it specifically says anywhere that you can be a good person but still go to hell if you don't believe in God (physically I mean), only if you don't live your life with any kind of virtue. There's more than one way to believe in him rather than just believing he exists after all.

Edited by FionordeQuester

also, is there anyone who fears eternal life? I think people should, but then again, I don't fear it either...

Who would fear eternal life? What's there to be scared of?

hmm, let's see;

everyone you'll ever love, you will have to see dying

times change, you'll have to move a lot or you'll be a laboratory animal

but then again, it's not like it's possible. so it wouldn't be a logical thing to fear, yes.