Mona Lisa Mystery Solved

Hanz

1-Why do we care?...He painted the hands of his assistant (who was a dude), that's all I ever care to know

2-What does this have to do with FE/video games/life?...if you are an art fanatic, cool, but most people don't care all that much

sorry to be the rain cloud on your parade...

Honestly, I would rather they never figured it out. It just takes away all the mystique and mystery. Now it just seems like any old painting to me.

That was unexpected.

As you say, the Mona Lisa's history is potentially less appealing now that there can be no speculation about its subject and thus little new to be learned about it. I would be curious to see if this revelation has any impact on the painting's status amongst the public within the next fifty or one hundred years. Unfortunately, I am not well acquainted with the piece so I don't know all of the factors which contributed to its fame. I am, however, aware that its being stolen by an Italian in 1911 caused a fair amount of controversy and renewed interest in the piece. The article you linked to suggests that art historians had retained interest in determining the subject of the painting for centuries. Is there a realistic possibility that a lack of study of the piece is apt to reduce its reputation or has it become too well cemented into Western culture? The Mona Lisa is, presumably, still widely recognizable, more so than most other irreligious art.

Glad someone knows a bit about this.

Personally, I don't think this is really going to affect anyone except those who were more knowledgeable on subjects like this. The average Joe may not even realize this even happened and I believe it will still maintain its place as one of, if not the, most recognizable painting there is. It just won't be any fun for scholars to look into anymore and they will move along.

That makes sense. It wouldn't seem likely that art historians and scholars would have much of an effect on the popularity or fame of a piece of art once it's already well recognized; at least, assuming they make no dramatic discoveries which would lead to civilians dismissing the piece in question. I can't think of any historical examples of this possibility at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if such cases have existed.

Does anybody here live in Italy or knows Italian? It might be interesting to see how the Italian populace or media are reacting to this discovery, if at all....

1-Why do we care?...He painted the hands of his assistant (who was a dude), that's all I ever care to know

2-What does this have to do with FE/video games/life?...if you are an art fanatic, cool, but most people don't care all that much

sorry to be the rain cloud on your parade...

We care because this is in a place that has the capability to increase our post count.

And this has to do with video games because of the game they are making out of the da Vinci code movie. Duh.

Well, okay. We know who the Mona Lisa is.

BUT WHY IS SHE SMILING?!

And, as for the Da Vinci code, the theory it's based on is 'true' (In a sense that it's a real theory. Not saying it is true, that's for you to decide), but the story itself is fiction.

It's a good book, I might add. I enjoyed reading it. But the book before it, Angels and Demons, was better.