Official site update (July 1st)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, but what about growths? I doubt they'll let you choose them. Choosing the unit's base stats, on the other hand, seems plausible...

I bet stats and growths will be determined during a personality quiz session.

This seems most likely to me as well...

Anyway, all this new info is very interesting. I'm amused that Nintendo are releasing it so early though; it seems almost common for them now, to announce new games out of the blue not long before their release date.

Anyway, all this new info is very interesting. I'm amused that Nintendo are releasing it so early though; it seems almost common for them now, to announce new games out of the blue not long before their release date.

They kind of did that with Seima, didn't they?

Either way, this late announcement could also mean that we shouldn't expect too many new things out of it.

This is really exciting to me. First off, it's being released REALLY soon, and I've always wanted a create-a-character option. I'm really, really, really happy about this game. I think they'd have to really try hard to ruin it now. But you never know.

It's not like they couldn't do it again, they don't need to "save" it. Create-a-d-bag in this game might be a sort of trial balloon, to see how people react to it. If it goes over well, they could look into making it a bigger part of a game on a new continent... if it doesn't, it could go the way of, say, trial maps.

They learned from their TP and Brawl disasters that they should stop announcing games before they know they're done. It's nice to not get infuriated every time they push their games back, but there's part of me that's disappointed that I don't spend two years getting excited for stuff anymore :(

It's not like they couldn't do it again, they don't need to "save" it. Create-a-d-bag in this game might be a sort of trial balloon, to see how people react to it. If it goes over well, they could look into making it a bigger part of a game on a new continent... if it doesn't, it could go the way of, say, trial maps.

It just makes more sense to include it in a completely new game than to trying to add it into a remake, in my opinion. That's all I'm saying. I mean, the point of a remake is to normally recreate basically the same game with a up-to-date graphics, sound, and other assorted goodies. Adding a new create-a-character and basing what I assume are Gaidens around them seems kind of random.

That being said, it's probably not going to change much of anything and probably just going to give you another character to work with, so I'm not complaining.

I like how it's recieved wisdom that Twilight Princess and Brawl were somehow disasters, despite both being awesome games. But you're right, people expected WAY too much of both of those games. I'm not sure if that is why Nintendo turned away from hyping games prior to release though. Its not like they sold badly or anything. Unless the disaster you're referring to was the delays prior to release, because frankly I think that is the sole reason they don't hype things anymore.

And to the inevitable cries of hatred towards the custom character thing... I'm pretty sure you can just skip it and go with the default guy and girl if you want to play it from the purist point of view. Creating a new character for each playthrough will definitely increase the replay value though.

Well, Brawl sucked. There's your evidence to the contrary. Terrible 1-P mode, worse mechanics, etc. I also seem to recall that they weren't able to include some of the previous characters because of time constraints.

Melee didn't help bring the Gamecube back to the front like Nintendo expected and Brawl initially sold more than it as well, but stagnated rather quickly, whereas Melee was a constant seller, so there is a sign that people saw Melee as the more worthwhile game.

TP is one of the best-selling Zeldas though, so you're right on that one.

It just makes more sense to include it in a completely new game than to trying to add it into a remake, in my opinion. That's all I'm saying. I mean, the point of a remake is to normally recreate basically the same game with a up-to-date graphics, sound, and other assorted goodies. Adding a new create-a-character and basing what I assume are Gaidens around them seems kind of random.

I disagree that it makes more sense. Inserting some generic-face into a Fire Emblem game is about as difficult as falling out of bed (see: gaiden characters in Shadow Dragon); so, if they are floating a new mechanic, keeping the scope small also keeps the risk of implosion small. Wouldn't it be awesome if they based an entire game around create-a-dumbass, and people hated that part of it? Whoops.

I like how it's recieved wisdom that Twilight Princess and Brawl were somehow disasters, despite both being awesome games. But you're right, people expected WAY too much of both of those games. I'm not sure if that is why Nintendo turned away from hyping games prior to release though. Its not like they sold badly or anything. Unless the disaster you're referring to was the delays prior to release, because frankly I think that is the sole reason they don't hype things anymore.

Anyone who expected anything other than Ocarina v2.0 out of Twilight Princess was obviously not paying attention to any of the official information, and was instead Making Shit Up<tm> as they went along.

Edited by Interceptor

lol @ changing the topic on something you guys completely misunderstood. By disaster I meant the way they handled the advertising. We went through years waiting for TP, multiple release dates being pushed back, pissing people off. Brawl had the exact same thing happen.

edit: also if you're a pokefan, diamond and pearl was at least three years from reveal to actual release, probably more like four

Edited by A boy named Sal

I caught what you were throwing, but even though Violet agreed with something that you never actually said, it was still worth replying to.

Personally, I have no problem with slipped release dates. Bad game is bad forever, delayed game eventually good, etc, you know the saying.

Are Marth and Roy in this game?

If you create a red-headed swordfighter and name him Roy...

...then, yes, finally Marth and Roy will be in this game! And that dreaded meme can come to an end!

Looking forward to this.

dondon, you're wrong. So very wrong. But think like that if you like. Despite an annoyingly vocal minority of obsessive Melee fans who hate Brawl because its not Melee, you're in a minority.

And Sai, I did catch what you were saying, but I'm not sure advertising was an issue really. Maybe after launch. I don't remember Melee being advertised all that much though. But its not a surprise Melee was more groundbreaking, it just was. Brawl was never going to be that much more of a jump forward, and it was stupid for people to think so.

Interceptor, you're right. Twilight Princess WAS just Ocarina but better. And it was better in many ways, worse in a couple. People expected too much.

You're wrong, however, with your create-a-dumbass comments. I mean, okay, YOU can create a dumbass if you like. I'm gonna create a hero. Hey, the character in some way represents the player, after all, and you don't seem like a dumbass. I think you should create a good character rather than a dumbass. I mean, if you're going to make a dumbass, then complain that they're a dumbass, that's a bit of a dumbass thing to do. Okay, I'll stop now...

And Sai, I did catch what you were saying, but I'm not sure advertising was an issue really. Maybe after launch. I don't remember Melee being advertised all that much though. But its not a surprise Melee was more groundbreaking, it just was. Brawl was never going to be that much more of a jump forward, and it was stupid for people to think so.

My calling it a disaster had nothing to do with the actual quality of the game, they gave us like two years of buildup and pushed release dates back. The pre-release for those games was terrible. I actually like both TP and Brawl, so I wasn't calling the games bad or anything

it's Sal (lowercase L) btw, this font is just confusing like that

dondon, you're wrong. So very wrong. But think like that if you like. Despite an annoyingly vocal minority of obsessive Melee fans who hate Brawl because its not Melee, you're in a minority.

No, I think you're the one that's wrong. Smash players may not "hate" Brawl, but any player that was any sort of decent at Melee will wholeheartedly agree that Melee is a far superior competitive game than Brawl.

Everyone expected a sequel to Melee that deserved the title of sequel. Sakurai did not deliver. The 1-P mode, while generally trivial in Smash, was terrible in Brawl. All you did was KO generic enemies and trudge through repetitive stages (and if that wasn't enough, they forced you to basically do everything a second time at the end of 1-P mode). Vs. mode had too many characters, was even more unbalanced than Melee (which had its fair share of simply bad matchups), did not look as clean, dumbed down or completely removed mechanics, etc. I mean, I suppose it placated the noobie CF players who would complain that he moved too fast, was too hard to control, was hard to recover with, etc. in Melee, but it did not satisfy anyone else.

Did people advocate hacking Melee just to make a better competitive game? Granted, this would be due to the difficulty of widespread distribution of hacked versions of the game, but players were dissatisfied enough with Brawl that they created Brawl+, Brawl-, etc. just to fix the game's competitive shortcomings.

I agree that dondon was wrong, because it's because he didn't go far enough: the entire series is terrible.

You're wrong, however, with your create-a-dumbass comments. I mean, okay, YOU can create a dumbass if you like. I'm gonna create a hero. Hey, the character in some way represents the player, after all, and you don't seem like a dumbass. I think you should create a good character rather than a dumbass. I mean, if you're going to make a dumbass, then complain that they're a dumbass, that's a bit of a dumbass thing to do. Okay, I'll stop now...

I'm sure that the only control you have over your custom douche-bag are things like name/appearance/class. It seems unlikely that your hero-by-palette-swap going to have any impact on the storyline whatsoever if this is a remake.

So I am probably going to re-create Lucia, in order for her to have some actual availability in a Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Interceptor