Why don't the laguz use swords?

Well, for the beast laguz, their built-in weapons are probably good enough. Dragons... yeah. It's a dragon.

As for bird tribes, I think that they could actually benefit from using beorc weapons- not that they're not already natually armed, but if they stayed humanoid form and used bows/lances/swords they'd be death from above. I think the herons are really the only tribe suited to use staves, although maybe dragons.

Maybe the smell of iron is too much for a beast laguz?

then all we'd have to do is hold a sword to them and it would take care of them

then all we'd have to do is hold a sword to them and it would take care of them

Well, maybe they just don't like the smell. I don't think they would like to fight with some smelly object for a large part of their life.

then use silver or some uniqe weapon.

It might be all types of metal that affects their nose and not just iron.

Anyway....I guess laguz are just not meant to wield weapons.

Well, like someone said before, they hate the smell of beorc weapons. It was mentioned several times in PoR, but I'm not sure about Radiant Dawn. At least, Lethe mentioned it several times. For example, when Lethe mentioned the armor of the soldiers in the Crimea Liberation Army.

It's also a matter of pride. Lethe sneered at the defenseless beorc, who were basically defenseless without a weapon.

So none of the laguz want to stoop to the level of a beorc, and that's why they don't use weapons.