World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So like, I was in Plaza Major in Burgos, Spain during the world cup finals (since I'm here participating in a music finals, my friends and I might as well go. :U). At least 11,000+ people were in that square with me. Sloppy game, epic nationalism. I even got beer dumped on my shirt. :awesome:

That kick to the chest was probably the highlight of the finals.

especially in slow-mo :D

and damn like 14 (orso, lost count) cards in one game O.o

who picked him to ref the finals. :facepalm:

Edited by BrandedRogue

who picked him to ref the finals. :facepalm:

The ref was a pussy, even with so many yellow cards.

And yeah, De Yong is a poor man's Zidane.

Totally agree. People are saying about Spain "Ahhh it's a game for the purists; beautiful to watch." Fuck that! I want excitement! Blood! Strikers who don't dive! The reincarnation of Nobby Stiles!

Ugh. This sets a bad precedent, like Euro 2004.

Here's an interesting fact. Germany scored sixteen goals. Spain scored eight.

I definitely agree with you there. That's really one of the reasons I underestimated Spain because of their lack excitement. The Germans played with everything they got and then some.

Spain is the epitome of Boring But Practical. Be as sour as you want, but they played efficiently and deserved that win. If Germany was as efficient as them, they would have won against them. Being solely entertaining is not enough in football, sadly.

(And that's coming from someone who prefered Germany and Netherlands).

Spain is the epitome of Boring But Practical. Be as sour as you want, but they played efficiently and deserved that win. If Germany was as efficient as them, they would have won against them. Being solely entertaining is not enough in football, sadly.

(And that's coming from someone who prefered Germany and Netherlands).

Yes, eating grass is so practical.

Yes, eating grass is so practical.

Yep, as ungraceful as it is, they won in the end. Make that what you will and do like me, swallow it, as again, I'm myself not a supporter of Spain, far from it.

Edited by AceNoctali

Yep, as ungraceful as it is, they won in the end. Make that what you will and do like me, swallow it, as again, I'm myself not a supporter of Spain, far from it.

That wasn't efficiency, it was the ref favoring them. That's not a style of football...

That wasn't efficiency, it was the ref favoring them. That's not a style of football...

Aside from epicly screwing up a call that was obviously a corner kick and not a goal kick (which still annoys me even a day later), what kind of favouring was done? I mean, sure he handed out a bunch of yellow cards, but he handed out quite a few to Spain as well. Frankly I can never tell when a guy actually deserves a yellow, though, since similar plays seem to randomly result in yellow or not, even when it is the same team doing it.

I like basketball and how it allows you 5 personal fouls without any repercussions and the 6th gets you kicked out. Then they have flagrant fouls for the worse things, yet you can still do that once without getting kicked out (for type 1, anyway). I'd assume if you go completely psycho (whatever is required for type 2) then you can get kicked out immediately. Flagrant Fouls (type 1) are similar to yellow cards, actually (2nd one gets you kicked out). And yet the things that get you a Flagrant Foul in Basketball are similar to what can get you a red card in "football", I'd bet.

Sometimes it just seems really really easy to get a yellow card. (and sometimes yellows lead to 1-game suspensions?)

Aside from epicly screwing up a call that was obviously a corner kick and not a goal kick (which still annoys me even a day later), what kind of favouring was done? I mean, sure he handed out a bunch of yellow cards, but he handed out quite a few to Spain as well. Frankly I can never tell when a guy actually deserves a yellow, though, since similar plays seem to randomly result in yellow or not, even when it is the same team doing it.

The Spanish would dive (which deserves a card, but at least he didn't card the NL on diving either), grab their knee, whatever, and Spain would get a free kick and often the NL would get a card. Same thing, switch teams, and nothing happens. "Play on." There was an obvious example of this when Robben was rushing toward goal, and his complaining about it got HIM a card, despite the fact he was fouled three (at least that's what I counted) times during that play. No one on the Spanish team got carded for that, but the Dutch got carded for more innocuous/non-existent fouls during other parts of the match. Not that the Dutch were playing clean. I mean God they were terrible. But some of the stuff they actually got carded for was bullshit. The ref may have favored the Dutch in allowing people like De Jong to foul (he was obviously in a position to see that foul) and keep them on the field, but he did the same with the Spanish and when it came to ball possession calls, he favored the Spanish.

(and sometimes yellows lead to 1-game suspensions?)

If you had a yellow the previous game, you miss the next game. Stupid rule in my opinion, but it is what it is.

uh... like 10 to 4 (not exactly sure)

Edited by BrandedRogue

It was actually 9 to 5, but yes that ratio should have been a lot lower.

Here's an interesting fact. Germany scored sixteen goals. Spain scored eight.

By the way, that's a record. Fewest goals scored by the winner of the World Cup. (For those interested, the fewest before that was a tie between Brazil and England.) David Villa tied for most goals scored, and Spain got most clean sheets... and that's it.

Germany scored the most goals in the tournament. German players hold a lot of the other statistics highs as well: Mueller tied for most goals; Mueller got most goals and assists; Oezil, Scweinsteiger, and Mueller were all tied for most assists; Germany had the best goal difference; Mueller got the fastest goal; Cacau tied for fastest goal in the match by a sub; and Mueller got the youngest goalscorer.

Just sayin'.

Didn't every starting Dutch player get carded apart from Kuyt (and he got subbed later on) and Stekelenburg?

Just Fontaine outscored the entire SPanish team by five in a shorter tournament.

Diving was pretty terrible. Honestly, if Robben had fallen down instead of continuing on that one stretch where he got fouled so much, the Netherlands would probably have gotten a goal, and that's kind of sick.