World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

I'm from Brazil, but from looking at some players on the team: Grafite, Kleberson, Felipe Melo, Josué. I seriously doubt we'll reach semi-finals. (Group G is weak, Brazil and Portugal are going to Eighth-Finals and that means BrazilxPortugal and if we win maybe SpainxBrazil on Quarters. It'd be Hard enough with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Fred but they AREN'T on the team so i'm personally betting on Argentina or Spain.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Brazil, but from looking at some players on the team: Grafite, Kleberson, Felipe Melo, Josué. I seriously doubt we'll reach semi-finals. (Group G is weak, Brazil and Portugal are going to Eighth-Finals and that means BrazilxPortugal and if we win maybe SpainxBrazil on Quarters. It'd be Hard enough with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Fred but they AREN'T on the team so i'm personally betting on Argentina or Spain.

Spain and Argentina have a lot of problems. More than Brazil actually. You mention Kleberson, Felipe Melo....etc. but Brazil has some world class players in Maicon, Lucio,Luis Fabiano and Kaka. They'll definitely go far and seeing all the problems in the other teams, they've got to be considered favorites for the trophy.

The Netherlands, not only because I'm Dutch myself, but also because I think they're playing absolutely great at the moment. Also look at the results of our last practice matches: 4-1 against Ghana, 6-1 against Hungaria, without many problems. Maybe those teams aren't the cream of the crop, but those results definitely are worth mentioning. I would really be surprised if we wouldn't make at least the quarter finals (as someone else also already mentioned). It would, however, surprise me if Spain would get to the quarter finals if they keep playing the way they have done lately.

Yeah, hopefully Robben isn't out of the tournament. He's my favorite player at the world cup. :(

Spain and Argentina have a lot of problems. More than Brazil actually. You mention Kleberson, Felipe Melo....etc. but Brazil has some world class players in Maicon, Lucio,Luis Fabiano and Kaka. They'll definitely go far and seeing all the problems in the other teams, they've got to be considered favorites for the trophy.

I can see your point but it's sad to see so many good players that were out of the cup just because they are playing in national teams: Neymar, Ganso, Victor, Marquinhos, Adriano and some others i don't remember now. Edited by Viyut

Yeah, hopefully Robben isn't out of the tournament. He's my favorite player at the world cup.

Same here.

But it looks like he'll be going later, and he might miss the first match against Denmark. He'll be given a 'speedy treatment' or something so that he can still compete. And I don't think we should have much trouble defeating Denmark even if Robben isn't there.

I hope their plan works. : (

I can see your point but it's sad to see so many good players that were out of the cup just because they are playing in national teams: Neymar, Ganso, Victor, Marquinhos, Adriano and some others i don't remember now.

Of all those you mentioned, only Ganso was really worthy.

Does anyone know how good Serbia actually are? I mean, they topped France and Ireland and went unbeaten (I think), but, I mean...I think 2002 Poland did as well. Ghana are in their element, Germany will be overheated and weak...well, really, anyone could top that group. I hope Australia and Germany, but I won't begrudge either of the other two if they do better than the Deutsch (This is payback for your '90-esque World Cup, assholes!)

As for C. Ronaldo, I saw this clip of him that really summed him up. He dribbled past a couple players, wasting a lot of time, finally got unmarked and then hoofed it into the stands.

Edited by Furetchen Arrowroot

South Africa are peaking in the friendlies at the right time. They've won something like 5 out of their last 6 including a 1-0 win over Denmark who are actually in the world cup this year. They might just make it past the first round. If they do, the country will go nuts (so will I as I'm cheering on Bafana Bafana since my dad was born there).

And only a fool discounts Germany. They seem to get their act together whenever a major tournament rolls around.

I discounted Germany the moment I found out that Michael Ballack was injured and not playing. Am I still a fool?

Edited by Life

They've won something like 5 out of their last 6 including a 1-0 win over Denmark who are actually in the world cup this year. They might just make it past the first round.

We beat Mexico and the US with 2-1 and Ghana with 4-1, and they're all in the WC this year, haha.

But I think it'd be great if South Africa would be able to make it past the first round. I think it would be great for the tournament.

Edit: And let's not forget that we haven't lost any of the last 19 matches ; )

Edited by Tino

I discounted Germany the moment I found out that Michael Ballack was injured and not playing. Am I still a fool?

Yes. Because Ballack is a douche. :awesome:

He's so awesome, he just got let go from Chelsea.

EDIT: Robben is ready to play!

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/06/10/1968284/world-cup-2010-netherlands-star-arjen-robben-could-play

Edited by burning_phoneix

I'd love if Germany won but it's not that likely. I figure Brazil or Argentina at this point. With some of the best players from various teams injured, it's screwed up my preliminary predictions.

And Ballack is most certainly not a douche. Kahn was, but Ballack is not.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Casillas isn't even the best spanish goalkeeper right now :unsure:

Damn, I guess that doesn't work on the internet--its been my goal to spread as much deliberate misinformation based solely on misheard hear-say as possible in my firm belief that no one in the United States actually knows anything about soccer so why not. I forgot there are real Eurocommies here though.

Edited by 天子

I'm pumped, and the thing's started. Hell yes.

Also, as for my predictions...

GROUP A

South Africa

France

Uruguay

Mexico

Mexico will definitely get through, probably in first, and then either South Africa or France will be second. Probably South Africa.

GROUP B

Argentina

Nigeria

South Korea

Greece

Argentina will do this, provided Maradona doesn't screw up. Second place will probably be South Korea, though Nigeria could get it as well.

GROUP C

England

USA

Slovenia

Algeria

England will be top, USA second.

GROUP D

Germany

Australia

Serbia

Ghana

Germany will be top, and Australia will be second.

GROUP E

Netherlands

Denmark

Cameroon

Japan

Netherlands will be first, Cameroon (?) second.

GROUP F

Italy

Paraguay

Slovakia

New Zealand

lolnewzealand

GROUP G

Brazil

Portugal

Ivory Coast

North Korea

Brazil, then Portugal.

Group H

Spain

Chile

Honduras

Switzerland

Spain, then... I dunno, Switzerland?

I'd say Spain will win. If Robben hadn't been injured though, I would have said Netherlands. Ah well.

You like soccer right?

I like soccer. I like lollipops.

.........Yo big guy .........That's a sucker.

You like soccer right?

I like soccer. One born every minute.

.........Yo big guy. That's a sucker too.

You like soccer right?

I like soccer. I don't hit women.

.........Yo big guy. I didn't say sock her!

Oh and I'm going with Brazil just because.

Edited by Super Mecha Death Christ

I'd say Spain will win. If Robben hadn't been injured though, I would have said Netherlands. Ah well.

Robben will be fit to play. Possibly not immediately, but...

Well, I ended up somehow sleeping through an exciting match (at least for the 35 minutes I watched.) I also found out that the Mexican national anthem is about forty times at good as the Australian equivalent.

Oh, it's 4:20 AM and conveniently the next match is on in ten minutes, so, I'mma drag myself back out to watch that.

GODDAMN TRUMPETS