Aran

Is here someone who also uses Aran? I use him always and I never regret it. I think he's the best halberdier/lancer in the game. Yes, better than Nepehenee! Are here more people who like him? :D

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you and Smash_Fanatic may have been chums.

Also, I use Aran whenever possible as well. Ludicrous Defense and Strength, crit bonus, extra move compared to, say, Generals and Marshalls... Meanwhile, I see Nephenee as just another Glass Cannon until Part 4, but everybody is doing great in Part 4, so I've never seen what the huge deal is.

I like to use Aran for reasons stated by Ninji,(though I don't use him sometimes in part 3 depending on his speed). And I usually prefer units that hit hard but doesn't double a lot compared to units that double a lot but barely dents.

Edited by Generic Officer

averagely Nephenee comes near capping for more stats.

and of course Neph is easier to train, I always solo easy mode part 2 with Neph and Heather when they're available and they will be third tier in 2-E.

I don't mind Aran,but I find him bland,and he isn't really notable enough at anything to make him someone I find worth using.He starts off in about the same boat as everyone else,and ends up worse,so I find it difficult to bother with him,since he's never any better than average.

Even at his best,in part 3,where he can pull a 3HKO from tigers easily,he is borderline doubled by the quick ones,and his offense is mediocre unless he has beastfoe.Nolan and Jill both pull better offense,and can reach 3HKO status like him without massive investment,except they can kill things more easily,and have a future,unlike Aran,who has to worry about being doubled at times in part 4,and is now far and away from having good offense or durability.

There's nothing wrong with him,but IMO,he isn't worth the effort you put into him,and considering how limited exp is in part 1,you're better off buffing Nolan,Jill,or Zihark than try to raise Aran.

and of course Neph is easier to train, I always solo easy mode part 2 with Neph and Heather when they're available and they will be third tier in 2-E.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Anyway, I've only used him once and he turn out better than Neph in all stats but speed.

Although he always got doubled, his defense allowed him to tank.

[...] but everybody is doing great in Part 4 [...]

Except Aran, since he's not doubling anything, including Generals.

You can tell the difference by people who play Easy/Normal, and people who play Hard mode, because the first group of people think that Aran is actually useful for something other than a laugh.

You can tell the difference by people who play Easy/Normal, and people who play Hard mode, because the first group of people think that Aran is actually useful for something other than a laugh.

Upper Middle (13) (T-5)

Aran

cool story, bro

cool story, bro

Aran's position on the tier list has not yet been impacted by The Reckoning; he hasn't been touched for months, his day will come.

Meanwhile, if I put the meat of your argument between two slices of bread, I'd have an Air Sandwich. The reason that Aran is a clown in Hard Mode is that he's a terrible unit in 1-3 (shit accuracy, doubling nothing, taking forever to kill something, even a myrmidon), faces instant death chances against everything in 1-4, and only has about 6-7 chapters worth of opportunities to hit promotion by Endgame (which is a problem when you start at level 7). Jill smokes him for contributions, something also not yet reflected in the tier list.

Aran's position on the tier list has not yet been impacted by The Reckoning; he hasn't been touched for months, his day will come.

Hee. Hee. Hee.

Meanwhile, if I put the meat of your argument between two slices of bread, I'd have an Air Sandwich.

I don't believe I made any argument in the first place. Let's review the scenario we're in.

TC creates a topic saying how he likes Aran.

You come in and make a comment that not only comes off as overly elitist but incredibly obnoxious. In said comment, you say that Aran is bad.

I point to his tier list position, which shows he is not currently viewed as bad, unless you meant in your opinion, which, of course, you didn't.

You're the bloodthirsty one, here. Nobody else is trying to start an argument, and I certainly don't want to participate in one. I'll humor you and whip some very quick responses up, but I probably won't bother responding past this.

The reason that Aran is a clown in Hard Mode is that he's a terrible unit in 1-3 (shit accuracy, doubling nothing, taking forever to kill something, even a myrmidon)

OK.

faces instant death chances against everything in 1-4

1% CRIT IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD OH MY GOD ARAN IS COMPLETE SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

and only has about 6-7 chapters worth of opportunities to hit promotion by Endgame (which is a problem when you start at level 7)

Not in a game with BEXP, and not for a character who makes the best use of it in his entire party. BEXP is limited, but it's not nonexistent.

Jill smokes him for contributions, something also not yet reflected in the tier list.

In your playthrough, yes, but then again, you gave Jill 17 levels in 3-6, the Robe, and the Energy Drops, and Aran was barely used, if at all, so I would shit my pants if you said that Jill was worse than him, because it's obvious you're incredibly biased towards her.

Edited by Ninji

Anyone see a problem with this?

but even then, I don't see Aran solo part 1 even on easy mode.

I played a marshals and lancers PT on easy once, on 3-E --/20/20 Neph beat 20/20/20 Aran with ease~

(yes, I know. easy mode says nothing, personal experience says nothing etc. but this explains me not liking Aran)

I don't believe I made any argument in the first place.

Yes, that was entirely my point. You made an argument via implication, which is to say that you created the form of one without actually putting anything in it except a meme.

Let's review the scenario we're in.

You say something silly; in reply, I point out the inaccuracy, while also making an observation about the nature of people who think that Aran is a good unit. He's good in Easy/Normal, it's not a stretch to assume that that people who like him aren't playing Hard Mode.

I'll humor you and whip some very quick responses up, but I probably won't bother responding past this.

By which you mean humor yourself, of course, since I've heard this all before. Regarding your hamfisted defense of Aran -- which I will not deign to sully the Internet with by repeating it again in quotes -- consider the following:

There are several different types of units in this game. Those that are bad but situationally necessary (Eddie, Leonardo), those that are excellent to start but peter out (Sothe, Tormod), those that are tough to use in the beginning but pay off in the long run (Jill), etc. Aran's archtype is an amalgam of the worst of all of these: he's not necessary, tough to raise in the beginning, does not pay off long term.

This is the primary problem with Aran in Hard Mode. Listed crit is not the end of the world, except that I have a perfectly viable character to perform his job that does NOT face crit. Stat-ramming is a nice bonus in this game, except when you're in the mode where you have 25% of the usual BEXP muscle, in an army that has less available than anyone else, and when you need 20+ levels just to get to the sweet spot to begin with.

[...] it's obvious you're incredibly biased towards her.

It's true: when I am trying to play the game efficiently, I intentionally favor characters that will give me good results. Also, when I run marathons, I don't prepare for them by having someone smash my kneecaps with a sledgehammer.

Edited by Interceptor

You completely missed the entire point of my post, and I doubt this is going to change, even if I restate what I am saying a thousand times, so I'll stop here and not feed your OCD arguing.

neph is only easier to train in EM otherwise they're similar...

1% CRIT IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD OH MY GOD ARAN IS COMPLETE SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

yeah that the only thing killing him a crit..

overall i would say aran is a fantastic character his problem however is at the endgame. and he'll need bexp and probably a speedwing aran and nephenee are both extremely good characters for part 4. as long as you trained and put some bexp into aran(possibly as much as last 5 levels not a stretch on NM and possible on HM) but he isn't the greatest character for the endgame, cant double spirits(excluding thunder) and his resistance is lacking. i actually think its funny because he reminds me alot of haar, and jill reminds me of nephenee. its like they switched it for DB/GM teams who would be on and off the wyverns.

i perfer nephenee but its mostly all opion and for NM and EM aran probably has the leg up but i've never used neph much in those modes.

Weeeelll...

I actually have not really used Aran that much. My younger brother likes to use him, but I have somewhat had problems with him and just decided to move onto someone else. (So maybe if I tried training him more it can work out?) I always prefered Nephenee way more.

And... yeah, I never got all that into him as a character.

Aran 20/20/10

HP-50.5/60

STR-34.75/35

MAG-10.1/20

SKL-34.75/35

SPD-27.35/33

LCK-20.35/30

DEF-33.3/34

RES-18.25/27

Nephenee 20/20/10

HP-48.6/58

STR-27.8/34

MAG-14.2/20

SKL-34.3/35

SPD-34/34

LCK-23.2/30

DEF-27.8/33

RES-26.05/30

Neph can double in Endgame, Aran cannot. Aran takes magical attacks like a little girl, Neph can. Neph has better avo, dodge, AS, damage output, magical durability, has a higher base level and has more playtime. That being said, Aran doesn't look half-bad, if it wasn't for his SPD cap, he'd be pretty good.

I use Aran and Neph. The DB needs a wall, and that is what Aran provides for them, because Meg sure isn't. A sturdy wall. I find that he is so dependent on his speed though.

Meanwhile, Neph's a glass cannon, especially in Part 2. A couple levels, and Neph's rocky start is over. She doubles an insane amount of enemies though.

So yeah, they both serve different functions throughout the game, which is why I use both. I usually take Neph to the endgame because she has the speed to double.

Gotta love how people come in and say "lolAransuxz" without even directing it at the one person who actually said that they thought he was better than Neph. This is an opinion based topic, not a fact based topic. You think people using Aran is dumb because he's not great in HM. These people are not necessarily using him because he's amazing, and most don't actually play HM. I doubt any consistently do efficiency runs. In fact, most never do.

Anyways, I almost always use him, but I tend to stick to NM. I'm aware that he's mediocre at best in HM. But that doesn't mean that I don't use him.

I think proclaiming Aran "most underrated character ever" does invite someone to come in and attempt to dispute it.

None of Int's remarks were in response to that, or anything the OP said in particular.

I think his black armour is cooler than Nephenee's.

Zettai Ryouiki >>>>>>>> Aran's armour,just saying.

Also,my opinion on Aran was stated earlier

Edited by Ether

The reason that Aran is a clown in Hard Mode is that he's a terrible unit in 1-3 (shit accuracy, doubling nothing, taking forever to kill something, even a myrmidon), faces instant death chances against everything in 1-4, and only has about 6-7 chapters worth of opportunities to hit promotion by Endgame (which is a problem when you start at level 7). Jill smokes him for contributions, something also not yet reflected in the tier list.

yes everyone on DB is doubling in 1-3 my miciah had 1024565454 AS by then. nolan doesnt double anyone until around the time aran does. and jill smoking him i wouldnt say so. in part 3 yes but she isnt that useful for most of part 1, aran comes in and is useful from the start wont die unless left around mages. i think overall jill contributes more, but in part one i'd say aran is above all units who start in 1st tier except nolan, and i think he contributes more than zihark.

by no means is aran a P1 or even a P3(if hes promoted) clown. he makes contributions and i think he is definitly worthy of his tier spot. you say people that play HM only sit and laugh at EM/NM players? i normally play HM and would say this is an incredibly stupid way to aproach a forum if it was, HARDMODEFIREEMBLEM.NET you could say that but its not HARDMODEFIREEMLBEM.NET the author of the topic doesnt say, HOLY SHIT ARAN IS THE BEST MOST AWESOMEST HM CHARACTER IN FE10 so you saying he's a bad HM character is just stupid.

Edited by King Soren

17/1 Aran, depending on his luck with his speed growth, can be ORKO'd by 41 MT Tigers. Oh, 17/1 Aran also needs a 16 MT weapon (which he can't have) to OHKO the weakest Tigers with beastfoe, if anybody cares.

EDIT: In 3-6.

Edited by nflchamp