Aran

Nitpicking here, but something like "Nephenee is better because she has a better personality" would have been infinitely clearer.

"Nephenee is better because she [...] has a personality."

That's what was written. Hence, it can't be any more clear.

Pointing out that someone else's point is incorrect is not the same as saying the opposite of their point is true.

Never said it was. The comment was Neph has a personality while Aran doesn't. You said Neph doesn't have a personality. Not many places to go at that point. The point I was making is that your comment was Neph vs Aran, with clear implications, even if you didn't intend it to be because of where you inserted it into the conversation.

My comment, though a response to a comment that apparently argued that Nephenee had more personality than Aran of which I had mistaken the meaning of at the time, was never meant to be an argument for Aran, as I have already mentioned. The fact that this is a topic about Aran is completely irrelevant; if said "I prefer Nolan because he has a cool beard" in this topic and somebody else said "Nolan's beard sucks", to which I replied "Aran doesn't even have a beard", it would be just as stupid.

No, that string of comments would make perfect sense. You have to prefer Nolan over something, and as the topic is about Aran and hasn't diverged onto any other topic, I'd have to assume the original comment is saying "I prefer Nolan (over Aran) because [...]". The only reason it would be stupid is because there would be seemingly no connection to get from Aran to Nolan in the first place. And the conversation about weather or not having a sucky beard is better than not having a beard that more than likely begins afterward would probably count as stupid too.

Then again, since misinterpreting Soul's comment apparently proves I have no reading comprehension, I wonder what you misrepresenting my original comment says.

Alas, I can only comprehend what the string of comments tells me. It is easy to misinterpret a comment that is out of place to begin with, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing your actual intention until you said it later.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the main reason I brought it is because I wanted to imitate Mekkah and his awesome sarcasm. Yeah.

I apologize this turned out kinda out of topic, I wasn't the first one to mention Nephenee > Aran here. Especially when my criteria of her being better was mostly because she was a female.

"Nephenee is better because she [...] has a personality."

That's what was written. Hence, it can't be any more clear.

That's not true. If his comment really was meant to be "Nephenee has a better ____, ____, _____ than Aran", it obviously would be more clear to say that.

As I've said, though, I'm purely nitpicking.

Never said it was. The comment was Neph has a personality while Aran doesn't. You said Neph doesn't have a personality. Not many places to go at that point. The point I was making is that your comment was Neph vs Aran, with clear implications, even if you didn't intend it to be because of where you inserted it into the conversation.

Alright, you make a good point.

No, that string of comments would make perfect sense. You have to prefer Nolan over something, and as the topic is about Aran and hasn't diverged onto any other topic, I'd have to assume the original comment is saying "I prefer Nolan (over Aran) because [...]".

I disagree, but I doubt I'd be able to argue why in a logical manner.

The only reason it would be stupid is because there would be seemingly no connection to get from Aran to Nolan in the first place. And the conversation about weather or not having a sucky beard is better than not having a beard that more than likely begins afterward would probably count as stupid too.

Well, obviously, I agree here.

Alas, I can only comprehend what the string of comments tells me. It is easy to misinterpret a comment that is out of place to begin with, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing your actual intention until you said it later.

From my (skewed, no doubt) perspective, it seems that it would be rather clear, but, of course, I wrote it, so there's no objective way for me to prove whether it was clear or not.

If it will help to end this conversation, I'll admit that I was mistaken.

Forgot about this insipid thread.

And your point is...? Even if Nephenee was transformed from a warrior princess from Pluto into a hick, it doesn't change the fact that she's a hick with no personality in the English verison.

The point was, what you said wasn't entirely accurate. Saying that "southern accent" sums things up accurately, manages to fail twice.

First, it fails because her personality is more than that (I've already summed it up for you once). Secondly, it fails by being too specific even where it's correct: she only has a southern accent in the NA localized version. It doesn't really make any sense for her to have a southern-US accent in the JP version; I believe that she uses a particular regional Japanese dialect. I have no idea what's in the EU version.

The important thing here is that she has an accent that she's embarrassed about, the kind of accent is not really germane.

First, it fails because her personality is more than that (I've already summed it up for you once).

And I replied to that. You've yet to reply to what I said there.

Secondly, it fails by being too specific even where it's correct: she only has a southern accent in the NA localized version. It doesn't really make any sense for her to have a southern-US accent in the JP version; I believe that she uses a particular regional Japanese dialect. I have no idea what's in the EU version.

The important thing here is that she has an accent that she's embarrassed about, the kind of accent is not really germane.

Alright, "southern accent" is probably a bit too specific, you're right. Even if we just leave it at "self-conscious about her accent", I really wouldn't consider that more than one trait and, unfortunately, that's all we get from Nephenee. She's an extremely flat character.

By Fire Emblem standards, her character is not relatively flat. When you think about it, pretty much every other supporting character in the FE cast has only one defining trait. It makes them easier to identify and remember.

Of course, Aran's character is completely dependent on Laura and doesn't exist otherwise.

And I replied to that. You've yet to reply to what I said there.

There was nothing worth replying to. You didn't bother to look at recruitment, or between-chapter dialogue. You made absurd summaries of her FE9 support conversations. It's apparent that not only are you uninformed about Nephenee, but you don't even care to get the record straight. Her support conversations alone put the issue to rest.

Sure, she doesn't have an amazing personality or anything, but there are tidbits here and there. She's embarrassed about her accent, and she's unaccustomed to "city folk", and she's a bit shy and doesn't say much when she talks to people (generally lets Brom do the talking). Nephenee's fighting to protect her way of life and keep things the way they they are; that's why she joined the militia in PoR, and why she was helping to put down the uprising in Ohma, and went to warn Queen Elincia about the rebellion.

Aran's as lame as they come. He gets a throwaway background that you forget about instantly (I'll bet you don't remember that he was taken in by a family of merchants), and his reason for fighting is the ever-generic "for what's right". I don't see how he even tie-games Nephenee, here. Granted, she has PoR, but it is what it is, sucks to be him.

Aran could have been a strategic genius. Opting to betray the Begnion Army and join the DB in order to help throw out the oppressive force. He'd then garner support from the common people who sympathize with him and his betrayal of Begnion in order to do what is right, plot the deaths of Micaiah, Sothe, and Pelleas, and quickly seize the opportunity to take over and rule the country once they're dead. He'd proceed to be a military dictator and attempt to annihilate Begnion, convincing the people that Begnion would continue to terrorize them if they didn't get rid of them once and for all. Laura was just a convenient excuse to set this all in motion.

But that didn't happen.

Aran could have been a strategic genius. Opting to betray the Begnion Army and join the DB in order to help throw out the oppressive force. He'd then garner support from the common people who sympathize with him and his betrayal of Begnion in order to do what is right, plot the deaths of Micaiah, Sothe, and Pelleas, and quickly seize the opportunity to take over and rule the country once they're dead. He'd proceed to be a military dictator and attempt to annihilate Begnion, convincing the people that Begnion would continue to terrorize them if they didn't get rid of them once and for all. Laura was just a convenient excuse to set this all in motion.

But that didn't happen.

Um, that would be odd. Of course, even if you are trying to make this his personality he'd still have to fail at killing off Micaiah, sothe, and Pelleas, otherwise you are doing more than changing his personality. But, wow, that's...wow.

By Fire Emblem standards, her character is not relatively flat. When you think about it, pretty much every other supporting character in the FE cast has only one defining trait. It makes them easier to identify and remember.

And, for that reason, I don't consider the majority of the supporting cast of most Fire Emblems to have personalities. I didn't care when actual support conversations were cut because I considered them extremely boring and found that they barely added anything to the actual character.

Of course, Aran's character is completely dependent on Laura and doesn't exist otherwise.

Aran's as lame as they come. He gets a throwaway background that you forget about instantly (I'll bet you don't remember that he was taken in by a family of merchants), and his reason for fighting is the ever-generic "for what's right". I don't see how he even tie-games Nephenee, here. Granted, she has PoR, but it is what it is, sucks to be him.

And on this, sirs, I whole-heartedly agree. Aran doesn't have a personality. I believe I've mentioned so multiple times in this thread.

There was nothing worth replying to. You didn't bother to look at recruitment, or between-chapter dialogue.

I believe I've already mentioned that I skipped it. If you would be as so kind as to actually tell me what makes such a huge difference in these small conversations instead of just assuming that I purposefully am ignoring them to help my own case, I believe that would be ideal.

You made absurd summaries of her FE9 support conversations. It's apparent that not only are you uninformed about Nephenee, but you don't even care to get the record straight. Her support conversations alone put the issue to rest.

Have you read the conversations lately? The Brom supports are composed almost entirely of Nephenee whining about how people will laugh at her and small talk. In the B support, they mention how much the Militia sucked, but that really has no bearing on Nephenee's character.

The Calill supports have Nephenee pausing every five seconds because "CITY FOLKS" ARE THE DEVIL. She's obviously shy, we got that from the last set of conversations with Brom.

The Devdan supports are almost entirely characterization for Devdan. Nephenee's lines are almost entirely her nearly dropping into the fetal position from horror.

If I added "shy" to all of those summaries that I posted before, they would be perfect. These aren't absurd, these are exactly what's happening in each. She's a flat character; that's all there is to it.

Sure, she doesn't have an amazing personality or anything, but there are tidbits here and there. She's embarrassed about her accent, and she's unaccustomed to "city folk", and she's a bit shy and doesn't say much when she talks to people (generally lets Brom do the talking).

So, she's shy. That's a perfectly fine blanket term that fits everything you've mentioned in this sentence.

Nephenee's fighting to protect her way of life and keep things the way they they are; that's why she joined the militia in PoR

Mind explaining where this is said?

and why she was helping to put down the uprising in Ohma, and went to warn Queen Elincia about the rebellion.

I had never seen her actions here as trying to keep the status quo, but to obviously stop the rebellion against Elincia, someone who Brom and Nephenee knew as a good queen and a good person overall.

I should note that, when I emulated FE9, it corrupted in Chapter 14 and I've yet to play through it again. If there's some crucial detail I'm missing that happens after that part, don't hesitate to point it out.

I believe I've already mentioned that I skipped it.

Which is why I didn't bother to reply to what you said. Are you seeing how this works, now, or do I have to make a flowchart for you?

If you would be as so kind as to actually tell me what makes such a huge difference in these small conversations instead of just assuming that I purposefully am ignoring them to help my own case, I believe that would be ideal.

I already summarized the important themes.

Have you read the conversations lately? The Brom supports are composed almost entirely of Nephenee whining about how people will laugh at her and small talk. In the B support, they mention how much the Militia sucked, but that really has no bearing on Nephenee's character.

Your absurd oversimplifications of the support conversations don't do anything except make you look illiterate. If you actually read the NephxBrom conversations rather than skimming them and constructing a smashbite out of it, you'd notice how establishing Nephenee's background puts some flesh on her reason to fight in the first place.

The Calill supports have Nephenee pausing every five seconds because "CITY FOLKS" ARE THE DEVIL.

And this one is even worse than the last one. It's like you didn't even read the thing at all, especially the A-rank conversation.

So, she's shy. That's a perfectly fine blanket term that fits everything you've mentioned in this sentence.

How her shyness manifests itself is part of her character. Slapping a blanket label on her does it injustice.

You know, I find it kind of depressing that the subtleties of language seem completely alien to you. It's unexpected from someone who you spends a lot of effort otherwise parsing the holy hell out of things.

Mind explaining where this is said?

When she's addressing Elincia.

I had never seen her actions here as trying to keep the status quo, but to obviously stop the rebellion against Elincia, someone who Brom and Nephenee knew as a good queen and a good person overall.

I'm confused as to why you can't see how stopping a rebellion against the sitting queen is the same as maintaining the status quo.

I should note that, when I emulated FE9, it corrupted in Chapter 14 and I've yet to play through it again. If there's some crucial detail I'm missing that happens after that part, don't hesitate to point it out.

Don't really care.

Edited by Interceptor

I just love where this is heading.

It's not heading anywhere. The conversation has arrived at Failsville, last stop, everyone off the bus. Ninji is busily alternately misrepresenting people's statements, talking out of his ass, and ignoring some details while nitpicking others. He's never going to completely walk back his original snide remark, so the beatings will continue until there's nobody left that wants to pick through the minutiae of this particular dead horse.

Edited by Interceptor

I love Aran. Well I like Aran a lot. Though his armor color is somewhat unoriginal. I'm not a fan of blue armored/haired people(with a few exceptions) in fire emblem just because there are so many.

I'm going to simply interject to say that my Aran soloed a proper level 20 Ike in 3-13 yesterday.

Now, get back to the arguing.

I started FE10's HM yesterday. I recruited Aran for some reason. Well, he could do some chip damage so others like Micaiah, Ilyana or Nolan got the kills, them came a mymidon from the south of the map, criticaled him, and there he goes dead. I have to restart again, I was like "How the heck is he even relevant to the story!?".

So when I restarted I just killed him once again, like in my last run.

Is using him hindering you that much? I'd prefer him over Leonardo, Nolan and Meg anyday simply because his defense is much more helpful.

Nolan's a better tank than Aran. Especially if you give him the Dracoshield(Although some will argue Micaiah is a better choice for it, and I tend to give her the shield as well as it prevents her from getting 1RKO'd by half the map, meaning you could be a little more flexible with her placements) and then by giving him an Energy Drop he becomes an offensive beast.

Aran's okay, his only issue is getting crit-blicked, if you want though you could toss him an Ashera Icon, that's assuming you're still using him by the time you reach 1-8 in HM.

Thing about Nolan is Tarvos. Even if he gets screwed somehow, DEF is DEF. Plus Beastfoe as a possibility. Lot harder to arrange Aran in the same circumstances, I think. Shame Pelleas didn't give him a sweet prize like Nolan, Leo, and Ed... well, Eddie's is alright, I guess.

Tarvos and Ragnell were one of those stupid "Eh, what's 5+ levels' worth of DEF growth on a weapon with insane Mt gonna hurt balance?" things IS tends to do, and there's really no answer for it. At least Tarvos isn't 1-2 range... oh wait, Laguz. Nice one IS.

Thing about Nolan is Tarvos. Even if he gets screwed somehow, DEF is DEF. Plus Beastfoe as a possibility. Lot harder to arrange Aran in the same circumstances, I think. Shame Pelleas didn't give him a sweet prize like Nolan, Leo, and Ed... well, Eddie's is alright, I guess.

Nolan+Tarvos+Beastfoe=Easymode Part 3.