• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first successful one this site has

Let me give you a warning

Gamefaq members are looked down on by the members on this site

Going around and saying that gamefaq is superior since it has more will get you flamed

I, uh, gotta agree with e_s on this one, I can't even get myself to read the first post, and the idea of stats/defined skills seems really constraining and counter-intuitive to something that should be creative and such. I looked at the actual RP posts, and it looks like it turned into simple one-lining, which I also can't get behind, so...

I didnt read it either :/

What do you know? How surprising.

Let me see if i can help you

What exactly dont you two get?

Edited by Kai

Mostly? How this is fun. I understand RPing, I've been doing it for quite some time, and, if I'm allowed to let my ego shine through, I'm pretty good at it. But I've never once had fun in an RP that threw numbers into the mix, and I've been in a few of those. I just like having a little more freedom in something that's supposed to be creative and free-form. I understand that it's supposed to limit what the characters can do - but isn't that what the RPer is supposed do? If you trust everyone so little to control themselves and their characters... I find that a little insulting, personally.

^Kai, Ether, myself, and a few other free birds would like to say hi.

Stat rping is actually quite fun if you can get over the fact that you're not an insta-badass. In an FE rp not having stats would quickly erupt into fifty+ 2nd tier characters with no weaknesses and legendary items, etc. The lack of total freedom makes the rp more realistic and more interesting.

There's nothing insulting about being kept in check if you're humble enough to realize the consequences of members taking things too far.

See, all you're saying is that you'd go out of hand if you could, what we're saying is, if you were any good in the first place, you wouldn't need to handcuff yourselves.

If you feel that you are incapable of working in a statistical system, don't join. If you feel that the posts are too short, one-linerish, or whatnot then don't join. If you feel you can do better, feel free to make your own RP. Simple answers.

Statting combat (stats don't limit you in other ways) keeps people in check, but it also allows abilities to be measured. I personally feel a little funny in non-stat combat, constantly thinking "How strong is this thing really? How strong am I? What abilities do I reasonably have? Who should win?" etc. That could be due to my previous RP experiences being D&D though, which relies on stats obviously.

There are some one-liner posts, but they do not make up the majority of posts I think. Mainly they are used in dialogues between characters in which the dialogue has a specific purpose. I'm not sure how longer posts in these instances would be beneficial. To say the whole RP has devolved into one liners isn't really accurate though IMO.

You guys should consider incorporating FETO into this. I haven't really looked at any of it, but if it's stat based, you could stage FETO battles based on RP situations, and let FETO handle all the number crunching. Snowy could have a DM account with chars named and designed to be used as enemies, or something.

@ FETO

No comment

@ GameFaqers

I'm wondering why people feel compelled to not read what we're doing at all, and then decide how fun/not fun the rp is, and how good/bad we're doing based on ... what exactly? ....

Anyway, it's a little presumptuous to me, not to mention kind of pointless :/

@FETO: I don't know how well that would work, mainly because you have to have teams, not just units controlled by a bunch of different people. Also in order to buy all those characters to make mooks out of, Snowy would have to grind for money for a very long time.

For the people who think numbers are stupid, good for you. Don't play then. If you're going to say "the whole system's stupid" when everyone else is okay with it, then that's not our problem to make the system based on how you want it. If you want to play without numbers, great. Do it somewhere else.

Foist things foist... I shouldn't be the first feedbacker. Ever.

Now onto business, continuing form the LoAF Chat Topic: I may be a lowly 'outside reader' of LoAF, but I'm a bit concerned with the very short responses from people, many of which are one-lined responses. No, this isn't an immediate damning obviously, but it leaves characters and interaction a LOT to be desired in my book. Just something to think about. No I'm not asking for novels in a post, but more description in a single post can go a long way.

Just my 2 cents.

Hypothesis: A multitude of small, occasionally single-line posts, be they dialogue, action, thought, or any mixture of the three, have negatively affected your RP's availability.

Definition: In this post (and subsequent posts discussing this one), availability will be known as "the ability for the average outsider to join."

Evidence: The sheer size of this RP has to be mentioned. The RP itself, based on the count to the right of each topic, has, at the time of writing, 4,735 posts in it. That's ridiculous enough, but when you take into account your chat topic, your sign-up topic, and various other necessary ones (read: suggestions, character relations, character list, and useful information), that total increases to a whopping 16235. I can't think of any witty comparisons for that number - it's too big for my mind to grasp, and that's not even all of your topics. The fact that, if someone wanted to get a good grasp of the story, the characters, and the writers, they would have to read at the very least a fraction of that number - and it's still going to be a daunting task.

Conclusion: The average RPer would probably not sign up for an RP, that, even if he read five percent of the posts, would still total over eight hundred posts.

Suggestions (from an outside perspective): To make the RP more available to outsiders, perhaps work on that Recap topic.

... Not all I wanted to say, but, let's all be honest, it's late.

The old Feedback thread was bacially what is now the Chat thread, so a thread specifically for outside reader comments is fairly new.

I'll say that this RP contains a mixture of large posts and many smaller posts. Smaller posts are usually dialogue. Like we said in Chat, it's natural for two people to talk by saying a sentence or two and then the other person saying a sentence or two.

Could there be more description? Yes, but's often unecessary. By focusing on the words the character is saying, you can probably guess their thoughts etc., without having to say their facial expression, if they're blinking etc. The words should largely tell you all you need to know for character interactions, other information can sometimes be included when relevant. Also, by not stating what is going through every character's mind all the time, it can sometimes provide more realistic interactions. Like in real life you don't actually know what the person is thinking, you interpret from what is said.

There probably are times where it could be good to add a little context, but to me additional details beyond what is said should only be added if it actually contributes something.

The Recap topic is designed to make the RP more accessible to newcomers yes. But I'm not sure an RP with less posts that is longer is any more accesible, since it can still be a lot of text to read.

The OP in sign-ups is also probably overly detailed and can be intimidating. But hey, people seem to be joining, so we must be doing something right.

Edited by -Cynthia-

SlaveBlade's point, and OtherPhase's point conflict with each other. That's interesting.

If we make longer posts we'll be catering to outsiders rather than ourselves and we'll still discourage newcomers because not only will we have thousands of posts, but if they're all incredibly detailed and full of context(which in interaction will cause multiple explanations of the exact same scenario), then no one will have the patience to read it all anyway. It's best if every rper stick to a style that is comfortable for them personally, while anyone outside the rp can rely on the recap topic for information. As for understanding characters, I'm sure that the character thread will be updated with new information as time marches on.

Example: If Irina learns how to make something that doesn't involve unions, I'll add it to her list of skills under the category "NEW SKILLS" or something. Personalities and CCs are already explained.

While reading the rp should give you a decent grasp of characters and the environment, it won't always give you the whole picture(context has many forms), that's part of the reason threads like the info topic exist. As for painting the picture of the environment, that's generally left to the first person to post about the new area we've entered. Our system's working fine and I don't see the need to tweak it just for the sake of readability. Enough of the rpers myself included make our posts readable enough, and detailed enough for anyone digging up info on those situations to figure out what's going on if they're really that interested. And if you're REALLY interested in seeing what's going on, just read Bal's posts. He adds enough detail to recap entire situations with great detail. Whistler is somewhat of a backup situational recap poster as well, and his posts are reliable for seeing a totally neutral perspective altogether(with pyro characters being the sole exception).