Lord of Azure Flame Feedback

Snowy_One

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's like this. If we give one line dialogue all the time, people complain we don't describe enough. If we describe too much, people say they can't join in on the story. I didn't read any of the previous chapters before I joined. Just the OP of the sign-up topic, and about three pages before I posted my first post. The rest I picked up from bits and pieces of chracter dialogue, and about half a dozen chat pages.

Skimmed through most of the posts here, and the only thing I have to say is that I'm going to disagree with longer=better.

Description is nice and all, but I don't think that an RP's main objective is to write long posts, I'll admit, one liners are annoying, but say I write a 3 paragraph post, it'd be fine and all if this was a fanfic. But most characters are controlled by different people. So focusing too long on the perspective of one character seems a bit silly IMO.

In an RP, what I find most irritating is when someone writes long boring posts about how great or important their character is, and then the same character does his own thing without interacting with others. That character becomes an idiot character no one really cares about, Kai/Helios is a clear example in chapter 1. He found a cave filled with important inscriptions, but no one really cared, I'd even guess that some people just skipped his posts earlier on.

As for racing, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought so too at times. But Phoenix's post explains my thoughts on the matter, it's a race, but a race against time, to see how much interaction the RP'ers can draw out of eachother.

Finally extremes,

Please ignore Lightning and Kai, they're essentially the idiots of the group, and seldom actually make any sense. mr_e_s you're completely right about using extremes, and it's not the first time some of these idiots have used it.

Skimmed through most of the posts here, and the only thing I have to say is that I'm going to disagree with longer=better.

Description is nice and all, but I don't think that an RP's main objective is to write long posts, I'll admit, one liners are annoying, but say I write a 3 paragraph post, it'd be fine and all if this was a fanfic. But most characters are controlled by different people. So focusing too long on the perspective of one character seems a bit silly IMO.

As for racing, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought so too at times. But Phoenix's post explains my thoughts on the matter, it's a race, but a race against time, to see how much interaction the RP'ers can draw out of eachother.

If you read beyond a skim, you would've noticed that I never once said Longer = better (Which a lot of people were responding to me about, which seriously confused me) >_>

As for Phoenix's statement, well... Good thing this is a message board, right? Messages don't disappear, there's almost no reason to get as many responses in as possible simply because of time/zone differences...

Edited by SlaveBlade

As for Phoenix's statement, well... Good thing this is a message board, right? Messages don't disappear, there's almost no reason to get as many responses in as possible simply because of time/zone differences...

Let me use an example this time instead of explaining my point.

Characters involved(this is just a roster example)

Lev: Controlled by Phoenix

Irina: Controlled by Phoenix

Aiya: Controlled by Ether

Dani: Controlled by Snike

Esphyr: Controlled by Snowy

Morgan: Controlled by Cynthia

Begin scenario.

Lev arrives ... Lev get's swamped by girls. Girls ask Lev lots of questions. Lev responds. Girls ask more questions. Lev responds. If Lev stops responding, the girls will be interacted with by other characters. If Lev responds after that, retconning generally has to be done. It's better to be a fast replier. It's not about beating people to the reactions, it's about being consistent enough to finish what you start so the flow of the RP doesn't get grinded to a halt, and so characters don't get left behind in three day old conversations.

More specifically:

Aiya asks Lev to help her train. If I don't respond then the interaction is shot. Why? Because at some point(usually the same day), Aiya will be approached by someone else. After that, retconning doesn't work like you'd hope it would. Continuing an interaction that happened hours prior isn't very fun and tends to be confusing, especially group conversations. In plain english, IT DOESN'T WORK. We've actually found that out already.

Was that a better way of explaining it?

Nyeh, you never said it "directly" but comments such as

quantity>quality & More description & One liners=bad.

Kind of lead to the belief that you're asking for longer more detailed, solid posts. If this wasn't the case you probably should have rectified everyones comments a bit sooner. And while I acknowledge that you've hinted at it not being your case, this is the first time you've stated outright that it isn't.

Hmm, well now that I'm arguing, you can't these people to accept your "healthy criticism" when you're hurling insults like:

"And please, catering to outsiders instead of yourselves? That's a cop out."

"Maybe you should stop taking it as a slander against your RP"

"It can only help as far as I know, so long as it doesn't go off on unrelated tangents..."

"I think you're going for quantity over quality."

etcetc

I personally think these aren't very insulting at all, but it's clear that they're not exactly friendly comments, and I know from experience that alot of people on the internet don't want to hear anything negative about their work. I've been spriting FE mugs for over a year now and been flamed about my "crappy mugs" a few times, and flamed others more then they should have to put up with.

As for your argument, how exactly do you propose that more description be added? I doubt you mean description to the extent Cynthia's post mentioned. "More description" is fine and all, but in what areas? Character responses? Scenery? Time? We could actually use some of that XD? Saying it could use more description is akin to saying a character needs more "character" to actually make your point valid or worth listening too, you'll need to explain how.

Message board

Hmm, so you're saying just because it's a message board, there's no need for people to interact over the course of a day? Honestly? Are you saying that you'd rather wait 7 days of 7 spaced out posts, over 7 posts which were made consecutively in one day? We're here to RP, and I don't see an issue with people trying to get as many RP posts in as possible.

I don't really see what your argument is here, so I'm going to request you clarify you're criticism before going off on an "unrelated (misguided) tangent."

Edited by Kanami

1: Nyeh, you never said it "directly" but comments such as

quantity>quality & More description & One liners=bad.

Kind of lead to the belief that you're asking for longer more detailed, solid posts. If this wasn't the case you probably should have rectified everyones comments a bit sooner. And while I acknowledge that you've hinted at it not being your case, this is the first time you've stated outright that it isn't.

2: Hmm, well now that I'm arguing, you can't these people to accept your "healthy criticism" when you're hurling insults like:

I personally think these aren't very insulting at all, but it's clear that they're not exactly friendly comments, and I know from experience that alot of people on the internet don't want to hear anything negative about their work. I've been spriting FE mugs for over a year now and been flamed about my "crappy mugs" a few times, and flamed others more then they should have to put up with.

3: As for your argument, how exactly do you propose the more description be added? I doubt you mean description to the extent Cynthia's post mentioned. "More description" is fine and all, but in what areas? Character responses? Scenery? Time? We could actually use some of that XD? Saying it could use more description is akin to saying a character needs more "character" to actually make your point valid or worth listening too, you'll need to explain how.

Message board

4: Hmm, so you're saying just because it's a message board, there's no need for people to interact over the course of a day? Honestly? Are you saying that you'd rather wait 7 days of 7 spaced out posts, over 7 posts which were made consecutively in one day? We're here to RP, and I don't see an issue with people trying to get as many RP posts in as possible.

I don't really see what your argument is here, so I'm going to request you clarify you're criticism before going off on an "unrelated (misguided) tangent."

1: To be honest, I thought I was being more obvious, and I did outright say 'Longer =/= better' many times, dude... Please don't skim and try to bring me down, it doesn't work that way (At least not always <_< )

2: And I don't like being called an asshole, a dumbass, a terrible writer, a fag, wrong, ugly, etc..., etc... but I don't really pay much attention to it beyond, "Why did I elicit such a reaction? What did I do to cause that?" You know, like how criticism is supposed to work. I've not really named names, and some people are taking this kinda personally. I even said that the oneliners weren't damning in and of themselves, and that I was just throwing in my 2 cents, and... well, you get the picture.

3: More description in general, I know, is very vague. However, oneliners are even more vague. Example time.

"'Hi, how are you?' said the sleepy man" VS "'Hi, how are you?' he said in a rather dull tone. If one looked, they'd notice that the man had bags under his eyes. Clearly he hadn't gotten much sleep last night."

Maybe it's just me, but I get a better picture from the second option. No, not a perfect example, but my brain ain't too creative ATM.

4: Whoa there, way to attack something I didn't even say (once again... *sigh*). Yes, you should interact when they're there, but playing Post Blitzkrieg shouldn't be the response to it. In fact, I'd actually say Time Zone differences are better for longer posts since you got such a long time before the other person posts to be as descriptive as possible, painting the best picture possible.

1: Let me use an example this time instead of explaining my point.

Characters involved(this is just a roster example)

Lev: Controlled by Phoenix

Irina: Controlled by Phoenix

Aiya: Controlled by Ether

Dani: Controlled by Snike

Esphyr: Controlled by Snowy

Morgan: Controlled by Cynthia

Begin scenario.

Lev arrives ... Lev get's swamped by girls. Girls ask Lev lots of questions. Lev responds. Girls ask more questions. Lev responds. If Lev stops responding, the girls will be interacted with by other characters. If Lev responds after that, retconning generally has to be done. It's better to be a fast replier. It's not about beating people to the reactions, it's about being consistent enough to finish what you start so the flow of the RP doesn't get grinded to a halt, and so characters don't get left behind in three day old conversations.

2: More specifically:

Aiya asks Lev to help her train. If I don't respond then the interaction is shot. Why? Because at some point(usually the same day), Aiya will be approached by someone else. After that, retconning doesn't work like you'd hope it would. Continuing an interaction that happened hours prior isn't very fun and tends to be confusing, especially group conversations. In plain english, IT DOESN'T WORK. We've actually found that out already.

Was that a better way of explaining it?

1: Not really painting the whole picture here. I don't know the timeframe in which these questions are being asked, I don't know the character, I can't say what the hell should happen whatsoever >_>. But going with what limited logic I've got of the situation, maybe you should combine all the questions being asked with a post showing how the character is getting overwhelmed? I mean, it's a simple response, gets everyone in, and can be a kind of funny experience...

2: First off, being approached by another person doesn't shoot a chance at interaction. That doesn't even make sense, a person joining up limiting interactions? I mean do you suddenly disappear if said person wanders in on your conversation? I mean, you can't do a whole, "Hey, I was here first, bud, back off!" or "Excuse me, but who are you?" kind of deal? Really?

1: I saw that, wasn't sure what you meant, though you probably need lessons in maths too if once =many in your mind. You've constantly pushed for people to see your perspective without reading their posts clearly yourself, often ignoring valid points in favor of presenting new points of your own.

If you want me to analyse your posts under a magnifying glass, then I have a paypal account, send something over. Otherwise I do enough analysing outside my leisure time.

2: My apologies, ignore Snowy, he's an incompetent ass XD

Why you illicted such responses is simple. You've proposed a fix that people don't agree with, and then proceeded to push your case despite others disagreeing, eventually this leads to the current argument. So when you say something negative, be prepared for negative retaliations.

By not naming examples you're kind of hurting yourself more then if you had. Since you're not directing your comments at a specific example it's a bit hard to distinguish which part you're complaining about. By being unclear who you find the offenders to be, you're essentially commenting on everyone. And if you tell me Balcerzak's posts are one-liners, I'll have to kick you XD

Overall it's just negative reaction to an opinion you were entitled to. I personally enjoy reading your opinion. But others may find it a... hmmm challenge to their manliness XD Or a challenge to what they're doing.

3: Hmmm, that helps alot actually, and it illustrates your point fine, I'm not sure I agree. If that's the one liner

"'Hi, how are you?' said the sleepy man"

Then yes, I agree completely, it's rather stupid. However I don't really see the difference between that and

"'Hi, how are you?' he said in a rather dull tone. If one looked, they'd notice that the man had bags under his eyes. Clearly he hadn't gotten much sleep last night."

Overall, the objective of both posts is to get across to the receiver of the comment that the man is sleepy and that he greeted them. I'm not really sure where such short posts have been made. But assuming that they have, I'm not sure I'd want to read an entire paragraph about how a man is sleepy when overall there's only two points to the post.

Lack of description in a big post however, I disagree. The more information there is, the longer it seems. However it doesn't equate to better.

I don't really like detailed posts since they're long and boring. And the truth is, we're not here to show off our writing skills, I know mine suck XD what you're explaining sounds like a collaborated fanfic. Which isn't what I look for in an RP. Writing skills is nice and all. But my belief is interaction is what makes an RP interesting.

4: That's why I requested you clarify :/ And.... you've failed to do that. Instead you've decided to argue your point across. Is it my turn to sigh yet?

What is your problem with people playing post Blitzkrieg then?

Short posts? I think a paragraph in a post is ample.

Again we're not painting a picture, and we honestly don't care about the outside reader. Or at least I don't anyway. If I'm participating in an RP it's for my own entertainment, if people enjoy reading, fine. But I'm not going to waste time catering for an outsider I haven't ever interacted with.

Overall

I don't mind criticism, I enjoy it, and will most likely hurl some around (with insults) if I get bored. I don't mind your comments, on the contrary they're rather fun to read. But I don't understand where you're getting the impression that this RP was intended for external viewers.

1: I saw that, wasn't sure what you meant, though you probably need lessons in maths too if once =many in your mind. You've constantly pushed for people to see your perspective without reading their posts clearly yourself, often ignoring valid points in favor of presenting new points of your own.

If you want me to analyse your posts under a magnifying glass, then I have a paypal account, send something over. Otherwise I do enough analysing outside my leisure time.

2: My apologies, ignore Snowy, he's an incompetent ass XD

Why you illicted such responses is simple. You've proposed a fix that people don't agree with, and then proceeded to push your case despite others disagreeing, eventually this leads to the current argument. So when you say something negative, be prepared for negative retaliations.

By not naming examples you're kind of hurting yourself more then if you had. Since you're not directing your comments at a specific example it's a bit hard to distinguish which part you're complaining about. By being unclear who you find the offenders to be, you're essentially commenting on everyone. And if you tell me Balcerzak's posts are one-liners, I'll have to kick you XD

Overall it's just negative reaction to an opinion you were entitled to. I personally enjoy reading your opinion. But others may find it a... hmmm challenge to their manliness XD Or a challenge to what they're doing.

3: Hmmm, that helps alot actually, and it illustrates your point fine, I'm not sure I agree. If that's the one liner

"'Hi, how are you?' said the sleepy man"

Then yes, I agree completely, it's rather stupid. However I don't really see the difference between that and

"'Hi, how are you?' he said in a rather dull tone. If one looked, they'd notice that the man had bags under his eyes. Clearly he hadn't gotten much sleep last night."

Overall, the objective of both posts is to get across to the receiver of the comment that the man is sleepy and that he greeted them. I'm not really sure where such short posts have been made. But assuming that they have, I'm not sure I'd want to read an entire paragraph about how a man is sleepy when overall there's only two points to the post.

Lack of description in a big post however, I disagree. The more information there is, the longer it seems. However it doesn't equate to better.

I don't really like detailed posts since they're long and boring. And the truth is, we're not here to show off our writing skills, I know mine suck XD what you're explaining sounds like a collaborated fanfic. Which isn't what I look for in an RP. Writing skills is nice and all. But my belief is interaction is what makes an RP interesting.

4: That's why I requested you clarify :/ And.... you've failed to do that. Instead you've decided to argue your point across. Is it my turn to sigh yet?

What is your problem with people playing post Blitzkrieg then?

Short posts? I think a paragraph in a post is ample.

Again we're not painting a picture, and we honestly don't care about the outside reader. Or at least I don't anyway. If I'm participating in an RP it's for my own entertainment, if people enjoy reading, fine. But I'm not going to waste time catering for an outsider I haven't ever interacted with.

Overall

I don't mind criticism, I enjoy it, and will most likely hurl some around (with insults) if I get bored. I don't mind your comments, on the contrary they're rather fun to read. But I don't understand where you're getting the impression that this RP was intended for external viewers.

1: I've said it multiple times, please read before you make stupid claims like that >_>. And And I've read things pretty damn clearly, so I don't see where you get off saying I haven't. I'm not putting words in people's mouths like you seem to be, either B)

2: The whole me asking why thing wasn't meant to be answered, it was an example... *sigh*. And i really shouldn't have to be specific with what I'm arguing about. One liners are one liners last I checked, there's really only one description for em and they're rather plentiful in the RP topics yall have made. I don't need to point em all out, because, to be honest, that would be pretty fucktarded.

3: No post to my knowledge was made about a sleepy man greeting someone, it was just an EXAMPLE... Honest question here: why are you even trying to debate me without knowing what exactly you're debating?

4: Seriously...? I need to explain this? You know what? Fine. I'll play your game.

I'm saying that Phoenix's reasoning for posting so rapidly due to time constraints is rendered null and void because he doesn't actually need to respond that fast simply because someone's not there for very long. I mean, the message is semi-permanent, you can read it hours after the person is gone, you do not need to play PB with em because of time constraints...

And if I come off as offensive in this post, well... oh well.

Didn't keep tabs on too much of the topic, but here's what I do.

I use description not when I want to tell something directly, but rather imply it through the words. The ambiguity is important for me. For example.

"How are you?" The man asked. There was a quaking in his tone, a bit of unevenness. His eyes flittered back and forth like a fly stuck in cup, and his hand made passes over his sheathed sword.

What are you supposed to gather from this? Is he nervous and edgy because he's sleepy? Or because he's paranoid? He's running his hand over his sword-- is that just a habit, or is he of ill intent? His voice is uneven. Maybe he's cold or sick? Maybe he's unconformable perhaps he's concealing his true intentions. In the same manner, as the writer, I'm hiding my true motives behind the post. I like to lie, I like to mislead, but I try to do it with subtlety.

The example

"'Hi, how are you?' said the sleepy man

is just fine if you want just to tell it as is. It's a preference, and it accomplishes a different goal.

Another thing I like to do is get the interaction over in a few sentences, then spend a few other sentence just on idle thoughts and things like that. A best of both words in a way-- you get the cut and dry response, and the filler is there to read if you want it.

Offensive is good, offensive is fun. Much better then boring old defensive. :/

1: Okay then, I've read them again, and.... you've mentioned it once at the bottom of page one. :/ So if you're going to call my statements stupid, then I expect some quotes that indicate otherwise.

Putting words in people's mouths? I can't help it, since you want to be all hidey-hide about your reasoning and throwing your point across, Yes we get it. You want less more descriptive posts. That pretty much summarizes up your entire argument, when asked why, you reply you want the group to paint you a better picture, and that lots of posts equal bad. How about presenting an argument for a change? We get your point, now how about providing supporting reasonings?

2: What's "fucktarded" is that you're complaining about one-liners that only appear every once in a while. This isn't a novel, consistency in writing quality isn't required. And if a Rper finds that on occassion they don't have much to say, there's no reason for them dragging their post on for any longer the a "one-liner" just to tell the reader that they have nothing to say.

Again, if you mentioned an example of such an RP'er it would help. Since some people I can agree are lacking in their posts. But by not picking out someone, you're comments reflect equally on all members of the group. Saying "It's happening, oh no" and then that "I don't want to read and find an example" I'm assuming is just you being difficult or stupid, take your pick.

3: I am well aware it was an example :/

I'm not really sure where such short posts have been made. But assuming that they have, I'm not sure I'd want to read an entire paragraph about how a man is sleepy when overall there's only two points to the post.

And likewise this is an example which uses your example :/

Why I'm arguing with you? Because lets see, you're arguing something and not making any sense? So I'm trying to get you to answer what your point is, which is apparently

"Stop posting so much" and "Put in more detail"

The former I don't see what your problem is, the latter, people have told you that they believe they're being descriptive enough, using your "EXAMPLE"

A sleepy man is a sleepy man, use your imagination, what does a sleepy man look like? And are we really supposed to pay that much attention to some random sleepy man? Does a dull tone matter? What are we supposed to do with the bags under his eyes? How do we even know he didn't get sleep last night? Perhaps he's a drug addict? Smoker? Natural expression?

This "Extra" information doesn't really add anything important, and is decorative "fluff" on the side. I don't think "fluff" is important enough to add if people don't want to.

4: And that is your point. Yay~ *Clap, clap clap*

And the argument against that is, that the people in this RP prefer to do posts in a CR style, opposed to waiting 12 hours for the next post. I'm not sure about you, but when I ask a question, I'd prefer the answer the question after I've asked, opposed to several hours later. Your argument fails to render this null. You're argument seems to be

"You can respond to it whenever, there's no hurry"

When the point you're trying to render null is.

"We want to put in as much interaction as possible, and progress the character/plot/relations etc"

As I've said before your suggestion would lead to say 7 posts, over 7 days. Whereas the objective is to get the 7 posts done in one day, so that the following day another 7 posts can be made. Do see the difference? Or do I need to tell you that 7 posts is different from 49 posts? Do you read? Or are pretending you can't?

You said yourself that the group is aiming for quantity over quality, and yes, that's what they're doing. However in this case quantity does not come at the expense of quality. Semi-permanancy has absolutely nothing to do with the argument, other then you trying to counter... or should I render void a point which has nothing to do with your argument.

Edited by Kanami

Seems like I'm getting dragged into this even if I don't really want to. I attempted to read the feedback thread, and it's useless. Some of the points are valid, but this debate is entirely worthless because of how people are arguing with each other. It's turning into one of those I argue at you and you argue back at me things.

Hey mods please delete this thread.

While the attitude of "I've got to interact as much as possible" is good and all, it only really works with a bunch of people who have nothing else but post in the RP. In other words, it denies anyone with any semblance of a life to fully participate in the RP.

For example, I was gone the entire day today, and 7 pages were to added to the RP. After having read through those pages, I found quite a few places where I could have posted. With these few posts, perhaps I, or someone in a similar situation, could actually have some relevance to the story rather than being shoved to the side, which appears to be my current situation.

If you don't mind sacrificing those of us with lives, then by all means, continue writing this RP as if it needed to be finished the next day. Because, quite honestly, that is the impression I am getting.

Offensive is good, offensive is fun. Much better then boring old defensive. :/

1: Okay then, I've read them again, and.... you've mentioned it once at the bottom of page one. :/ So if you're going to call my statements stupid, then I expect some quotes that indicate otherwise.

Putting words in people's mouths? I can't help it, since you want to be all hidey-hide about your reasoning and throwing your point across, Yes we get it. You want less more descriptive posts. That pretty much summarizes up your entire argument, when asked why, you reply you want the group to paint you a better picture, and that lots of posts equal bad. How about presenting an argument for a change? We get your point, now how about providing supporting reasonings?

2: What's "fucktarded" is that you're complaining about one-liners that only appear every once in a while. This isn't a novel, consistency in writing quality isn't required. And if a Rper finds that on occassion they don't have much to say, there's no reason for them dragging their post on for any longer the a "one-liner" just to tell the reader that they have nothing to say.

Again, if you mentioned an example of such an RP'er it would help. Since some people I can agree are lacking in their posts. But by not picking out someone, you're comments reflect equally on all members of the group. Saying "It's happening, oh no" and then that "I don't want to read and find an example" I'm assuming is just you being difficult or stupid, take your pick.

3: I am well aware it was an example :/

And likewise this is an example which uses your example :/

Why I'm arguing with you? Because lets see, you're arguing something and not making any sense? So I'm trying to get you to answer what your point is, which is apparently

"Stop posting so much" and "Put in more detail"

The former I don't see what your problem is, the latter, people have told you that they believe they're being descriptive enough, using your "EXAMPLE"

A sleepy man is a sleepy man, use your imagination, what does a sleepy man look like? And are we really supposed to pay that much attention to some random sleepy man? Does a dull tone matter? What are we supposed to do with the bags under his eyes? How do we even know he didn't get sleep last night? Perhaps he's a drug addict? Smoker? Natural expression?

This "Extra" information doesn't really add anything important, and is decorative "fluff" on the side. I don't think "fluff" is important enough to add if people don't want to.

4: And that is your point. Yay~ *Clap, clap clap*

And the argument against that is, that the people in this RP prefer to do posts in a CR style, opposed to waiting 12 hours for the next post. I'm not sure about you, but when I ask a question, I'd prefer the answer the question after I've asked, opposed to several hours later. Your argument fails to render this null. You're argument seems to be

"You can respond to it whenever, there's no hurry"

When the point you're trying to render null is.

"We want to put in as much interaction as possible, and progress the character/plot/relations etc"

As I've said before your suggestion would lead to say 7 posts, over 7 days. Whereas the objective is to get the 7 posts done in one day, so that the following day another 7 posts can be made. Do see the difference? Or do I need to tell you that 7 posts is different from 49 posts? Do you read? Or are pretending you can't?

You said yourself that the group is aiming for quantity over quality, and yes, that's what they're doing. However in this case quantity does not come at the expense of quality. Semi-permanancy has absolutely nothing to do with the argument, other then you trying to counter... or should I render void a point which has nothing to do with your argument.

1: ... Please direct your attention to posts #17 and #19. To me, saying it more than once = many, since it was pretty obvious I wasn't actually saying that and people honestly assumed I was...

And I've provided support, actually. I really shouldn't need to say why painting a better picture is better than not >_>

2: Seeing as I've found 6 or 7 within the first two pages of topic 10, it's not really a very 'uncommon' occurrence as you hoped it was. And, being honest here, a good writer should be able to say something to most near anything. Note: I'm not claiming to be an amazing writer from this statement.

And I don't need to find an example of what these one liners are, I don't see why I need to point them out, they ARE happening, you aren't denying they're happening, and I'm asking WHY they happen, and I don't get why you're all going for mostly quantity over quality.

3: You know, I guess the reason I like my second sleepy guy sentence more than the first one is because the second one looks like the person at least tried to put in effort. A one liner looks hasty and just looks like it's filler. I suppose that's kinda why I dislike one-liners, it's kind of like disrespect in my book.

4: Why is 49 better than 7 when 7 good posts is easily = to 49 quick blabs of posts? Again, it's not a race, stop treating it like one. A post in a RP is not YOU waiting for a response, it's the character, the character is not you (Jesus I hope not >_>) waiting for the response. I'd say you shouldn't be trying to interact with someone and get it over iwth quickly simply due to time constraints...

Coupled of course with a suggestion of much better delineation in what is going on in posts where multiple entirely unrelated instances are being addressed. (My opinion is that such posts are hideous, and should be eradicated, and each thing properly addressed in its own fashion, but maybe that's just me.)

I believe something like this is what you are talking about? If so, I agree wholeheartedly.

"What you believe is up to you, miss," Derek said, eying Lev. "I'm just not the type to go around hitting on anything that moves."

"Oh, Iso was the best. Could you believe it, Irina? Three girls?" Dani asked her, winking conspiratorially.

To Alferis, Eric smiled. "The fact that we have time to discuss things like this, means that we're not in any rush. Plus, those mercs are nothing, compared to Lev here, from what I've heard," he said.

Because, quite honestly, it would much easier for everyone to understand the post if the three parts of three separate conversations were to be exactly that: separate. In this example, they, at first glance, appear to be part of the same conversation due to lack separation.

@Csquared08

It really depends, since I don't think that the current people are no-lifers :/ Phoenix though, I'm willing to agree, he's a no-lifer XD. 7 Pages? Really? Hmm well it happens on the weekend I suppose, but I can agree that this thing speeds through, I'm kind of on a similar wave there, decided to go do other things for 2 days and we're 20 pages or something through now XD

Getting shoved to the side though, I suppose you're going to have to get used to XD You can either forcefully shove yourself in, or wait for someone to shove you out XD (You won't have to wait long). And I see your point, however do you really think it's fair to tell people who "can" post, to stop posting? It's not your fault you can be online 24/7 but it's not their fault they have a whole lot of spare time on their hands. If you don't like, I'm going to suggest heading over to Shu's Quest. Not out of spite, I just think that if what you say is true, you won't have much luck here. I honestly don't care much, since my days in this RP are numbered XD

@SlaveBlade

1: Okay, so your definition of many is twice Yes I'm just being a sore loser now XD Didn't see 17 for some reason I assume the other you 20 not 19 though. Painting a better picture isn't always better, simple is sometimes better. In rn7's example it is better, since the responder has things to work with, perhaps we notice how he's edgy, perhaps is hinting at how he'll attack the group? Perhaps it means nothing at all, but people would pay attention to that. Baggy eyes, and a dull voice really just indicate he's tired.

2:As you say, this is forum not a chat room. However after we posts 20 posts, the old post gets lost in the pages of RP history, and seldom does anyone look at it again. So description isn't all that necessary. If it's a painting, why bother putting effort into a painting which will stashed away and never seen again?

As for the posts.... I see your point. Again, please ignore Snowy, Kai and Lightning, they're idiots XD I think Dark Sage is new to Rp'ing, and hasn't quite gotten the grasp of the RP just yet, but that's really not relevant.

The difference is, you're saying one-liners are bad and shouldn't happen, I personally don't really care,

"Well with the demons on the way and the soldiers in pursuit, I say we negotiate with the Elysimians, much as I detest that," said Alferis.

"Well with the demons on the way and the soldiers in pursuit, I say we negotiate with the Elysimians, much as I detest that," said Alferis who looked weary and tired after a night of being pursued. He was rather fit for a man his age, but constantly being on the run from enemies with questionable intentions was starting to tire him out very quickly. Looking around he noticed his condition was shared by many within the party.

Okay crappy extension, but I get your point, it paints a better picture, but as I've been saying the objective isn't to create a better picture, there's already an issue (soldiers and demons) so deviating from that and trying to draw attention to how everyone is tired and sick of running, doesn't really do much, since we're all different people. In most cases my extension would go just as unnoticed as the original, and overall would just be more reading.

Wrry? Hmm the reason why it's happening probably isn't because they're rushing, but because they don't have anything useful to say, I've never actually given it much thought, but it's not to get more posts in, those posts are usually made because, the RP'er doesn't have anything important to say.

3: Effort is meaningless unless it bears fruit. Trying is a waste of time if it didn't make a difference. Sure "it could have worked" but if things are going to fail either way then it's best to direct that effort elsewhere. While a post isn't really a fail, it's a matter of attention. I've posted things in this RP which have been completely ignored. And it's not because of the RP posting speed.

4: 49 is better, because 49 is the option taken by the RP'er. 7 is not better, 49 is not better. It doesn't really matter does it? I'm still confused as to why you're complaining about the number of posts. Cause trust me, even if RP speed slows, quality will not increase. Not from people like Kai and Snowy at least anyway.

Umm you might want to call Jesus, cause it is me waiting for a response. :/ If the opposing character responds, then I can control my character to make a move. And it's not because of the double posting thing either. If I'm not waiting I'm not sure who is, I just know that a character I made up in a few minutes in my mind isn't waiting because.... it doesn't exist?

Time constraints doesn't force us to rush through interactions, only when the person indicates they're leaving soon. When that happens we prefer to end the conversation quickly and continue anything else important in another conversation. Since waiting for them to return usually results in a few hours of waiting.

Overall your fix suggestion isn't a bad one, I just don't see any logical reason behind slowing down post count, and any other argument, well as I've said before this is a group thing, and some of the group just aren't capable. Don't ask me if they're idiots (for not being able to write a decent post) cause my answer isn't going to help either of our cases XD

@Csquared08 (For post above)

That indeed is a hideous post.

Edited by Kanami

@Kanami

Since when has Friday become the weekend? That's twice now today that this apparent fact has come back to bite me... >_>

I guess it would be unfair and a bit selfish to ask that of the established RP'ers, but if you look at it a bit differently, it could instead be a fair and potentially quality-improving decision. So, instead of asking them to not post, as you interpreted it, my request would be more along the lines of slow down a bit and think about what you're actually posting. Consider the possible consequences of your post (ie: Instead of saying something along the lines of "Cause you're the meanest person around." said Joe [which seems to be something most of the RP'ers wouldn't have a problem posting, structure-wise, that is, not content.], you could add in a couple words to make the characters intentions clear [ie: said Joe, rolling his eyes, or, said Joe, glaring at Jim].). From my understanding, though never stated clearly, most of the RP'ers that have posted in this topic seem to be opposed to such detail, saying it takes away from another's freedom to react. If that's not what you're saying at all, I apologize in advance.

And trust me, waiting for a few hours for a couple short posts is nothing. Just ask Snike. Having mentioned this, I should probably find some sort of hiding spot, somewhere where he won't find me anytime soon ._.

Edited by Csquared08

Yeah, I saw that post, and I was like, "Wait, what? 0-0" And, well, you caught me there. So, I'll try to be more prudent in the future. My bad.

Not going to rage as expected. You can crawl out of your blast bunker now.

I can see why you're the one Kai asked to tear my fledgling little RP to the ground.

Shadap, that was Phoenix

And yes Kai is comedy relief of group

@ Kai

I didn't ask Cuddles to tear apart the other rp. I said I'd propose to her if she just happened to actually do it. There's a difference.

@ SlaveBlade

Look, it doesn't matter if the message is permanent or not. With a constant influx of new posts and messages, the flow of the rp get's disrupted when you wait for a long time before posting. If you want the numerous example just look at the dialogue and read the story in its proper context. Some reactions need to happen sooner and here's why.

Example:

Esphyr is approached by a mercenary. 12:30

Mercenary: Hey cutie! 12:30

Esphyr: Go away. 12:32

Mercenary: Aww don't be like that. I just wanna get to know you better is all. 12:36

Esphyr: I said go away. 12:37

Mercenary: Don't worry, I don't bite ... much. 12:43

Esphyr kicks merc in the nuts and leaves. 12:56

Fairly simple scenario, and it can be handled in maybe three or four replies for each person in less than half an hour. Now let's try what you're suggesting in this situation rather than reply immediately which is what we actually enjoy doing.

The group decides to get moving 1:30

Esphyr: Go away 1:45

Mercenary: Aww don't be like that. I just wanna get to know you better is all. 1:47

Morgan: Esphyr let's go! 1:58

Esphyr: I said go away! Coming Morgan! 3:15

Mercenary: Don't worry, I don't bite ... much. 3:17

The group waiting for Esphyr must either retcon so that Esphyr finished dealing with the merc and is now traveling with them, or the someone has to intervene and get rid of the merc rather than just letting Esphyr deal with it.

This isn't a severe problem, but if what you're suggesting is that we shouldn't post right away just because it's not a race, then you're just wasting time. Why should we not reply right when we can if we can rather than waiting an hour? What would be the point? If I see an interaction with my characters going on, why wouldn't I reply? I'm not busy. If I am busy then I'm not replying right away anyway. You telling us not to race to post doesn't make any sense.

If I have to choose between finishing an interaction today and next Tuesday I'll choose today and screw what anybody else says. No offense.

@ Kai

I didn't ask Cuddles to tear apart the other rp. I said I'd propose to her if she just happened to actually do it. There's a difference.

@ SlaveBlade

Look, it doesn't matter if the message is permanent or not. With a constant influx of new posts and messages, the flow of the rp get's disrupted when you wait for a long time before posting. If you want the numerous example just look at the dialogue and read the story in its proper context. Some reactions need to happen sooner and here's why.

Example:

Esphyr: Go away. 12:32

Mercenary: Aww don't be like that. I just wanna get to know you better is all. 12:36

Esphyr: I said go away. 12:37

Mercenary: Don't worry, I don't bite ... much. 12:43

Esphyr kicks merc in the nuts and leaves. 12:56

Fairly simple scenario, and it can be handled in maybe three or four replies for each person in less than half an hour. Now let's try what you're suggesting in this situation rather than reply immediately which is what we actually enjoy doing.

The group decides to get moving 1:30

Esphyr: Go away 1:45

Mercenary: Aww don't be like that. I just wanna get to know you better is all. 1:47

Morgan: Esphyr let's go! 1:58

Esphyr: I said go away! Coming Morgan! 3:15

Mercenary: Don't worry, I don't bite ... much. 3:17

The group waiting for Esphyr must either retcon so that Esphyr finished dealing with the merc and is now traveling with them, or the someone has to intervene and get rid of the merc rather than just letting Esphyr deal with it.

This isn't a severe problem, but if what you're suggesting is that we shouldn't post right away just because it's not a race, then you're just wasting time. Why should we not reply right when we can if we can rather than waiting an hour? What would be the point? If I see an interaction with my characters going on, why wouldn't I reply? I'm not busy. If I am busy then I'm not replying right away anyway. You telling us not to race to post doesn't make any sense.

If I have to choose between finishing an interaction today and next Tuesday I'll choose today and screw what anybody else says. No offense.

Sure. You know, this started out as an innocent question... But, what do I know? The thing wasn't made for me, derp, and it's clear no one actually in the RP wants to see criticism or any sort of suggestions on how to possibly make it better. Also, good use of no offense there...

Making it better by your standards wouldn't necessarily make it better in everyone else's mind. Changing little things isn't very important.

@ SlaveBlade

I don't mind constructive criticism but it's not constructive from what I can tell(not unless we were actually racing). To me it just seems like you're suggesting we leave people hanging and go do something else. If I offended you I'm sorry but like I said, I mean no offense.