Lord of Azure Flame Feedback

Snowy_One

Oh, you guys...

This topic is a perfect demonstration of what not to let a topic become.

This.

Yeah... Can we sort of end this discussion? It's making both sides look like idiots...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I tend to see it as more of each person's character is their protagonist. Like, your character is the main character of your character's story. The RP itself isn't one big story for everyone to fit into, but each person has their own story they're in charge of... or something. Anyway, that tends towards me thinking my characters need thoughts and background and story, but any NPCs I make are like the other characters in a book....

I think I confused myself

I think I get what you're saying, but our RP takes the opposite approach. Characters are made to fit the story for the most part, not the other way around (though the characters end up having lots of subplots anyway...)

Characters have backgrounds of course (everyone comes from somewhere) though these often aren't revealed unless they're relevant to the plot or two characters get to know each other very well. I've been pushing for some people to reveal their backstories a little more myself.

So yeah, it's a different perspective really. Characters exist more to play parts in ours than to...try and have the RP be their adventure? Can't find the right words for that last part.

To clarify:

Each character adds more context to the world in their own way. Not just the world adding context to the characters.

Edited by Phoenix

I actually dislike the way you phrased that. I think the act of a world adding context to a character (though how that would actually happen, I dunno...) sounds considerably more out of the ordinary than a character adding context to a world. Using the word just there is counter-intuitive to the actions taking place. It should go to the more commonplace character adding context to the overall world.

I mean, I don't see why you felt the need to say that in the first place. The way I figure it, you're doing it backwards, if you're looking at the two RPs here. It's yours where the world really defines the characters, as the world had been created before them, in great detail, and they'd been molded to fit it (some probably better then others). Whereas in my admittedly less concrete set-up, we took a basic stock of who we were, and are in the process of making a world that would make an interesting story for these people (though roy's view and mine mesh, it's really more accurate to say stories).

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, mind, just an observation on the overall nature of the RPs. I'm actually not sure that belonged in Feedback, heh, I wasn't really giving an opinion or any advice at all.

Actually in a lot of ways our characters helped define the world too. The original post isn't as detailed as it may seem, we've already added several other nations for instance, as well as a lot of other flavor detail not in there.

There's always some back-and-forth probably, you can't really have a character existing outside of a world, and a world without characters is dull.

What Cynthia said is exactly what I meant, though apparently I was a bit vague too.

When we place characters into the world, we shape it through their past experiences/knowledge/history/etc. Sooner or later, the world shapes them through challenges and journeys, so it is a bit of both, but initially, the characters are being inserted and adding context to the world.

..... SlaveBlade come back~ :sob:

All you normal people go away, I wanna be all defensive Though I was trying to be offensive not defensive :/

Two options

1: World base: Defining a world, setting, events and then having characters react to the events, focusing on building character more then the actual world.

2: Character Base: Defining characters, giving the Rp'er behind them liberty to shape their own little fragment of the world with little to no opposition. Essentially each character creates their world, and then everything gets mashed together, and we hope it works XD Less focus on character then the first method, though has a higher chance of making a more interesting setting to RP in.

Can the foolie fools tell which one is which? Or would they like to add another option?

Not sure what you mean by defending against everything. You guys tend to make suggestions that would boost the number of members we have. That's quite far beyond necessary at this point. In fact, catering to anything and anyone outside the rp is a waste of time.

Snike, you coulda told me that while you were convincing to join this RP weeks ago >____>

Snike, you coulda told me that while you were convincing to join this RP weeks ago >____>

This wasn't happening at the time. Besides, it looks like you quit anyways.

In part, because of that very reason.

See, even though I had clearly said I would be busy all day (referring to Friday) and that was why I wasn't posting, what had previously posted was ignored completely.

For example, I said something along the lines of Panamon firing an arrow at Captain Travis in a place that prevent him from ravishing anymore women. Yet, when Cynthia had a post detailing Travis's thoughts and his desires for revenge, this was nowhere to be found. If someone shot me down there, it'd definitely be above wanting to get back at a merc for letting a bunch of guys in to rescue the prisoner or some girl blinding him temporarily.

Edited by Csquared08

In part, because of that very reason.

See, even though I had clearly said I would be busy all day (referring to Friday) and that was why I wasn't posting, what had previously posted was ignored completely.

For example, I said something along the lines of Panamon firing an arrow at Captain Travis in a place that prevent him from ravishing anymore women. Yet, when Cynthia had a post detailing Travis's thoughts and his desires for revenge, this was nowhere to be found. If someone shot me down there, it'd definitely be above wanting to get back at a merc for letting a bunch of guys in to rescue the prisoner or some girl blinding him temporarily.

I actually ignored that for a specific reason.

1. Travis was blind at the time. He couldn't see who shot him, so he can't get revenge on whoever did it (you also said Panamon couldn't be seen at the time anyway).

I didn't miss your post, but him chasing after "that guy who got in and shot me in the crotch" is kinda dumb since he can't actually identify you. Plus, revenge wasn't his main motivation, it's the large bounty on Charlotte he's after.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I actually ignored that for a specific reason.

1. Travis was blind at the time. He couldn't see who shot him, so he can't get revenge on whoever did it (you also said Panamon couldn't be seen at the time anyway).

I didn't miss your post, but him chasing after "that guy who got in and shot me in the crotch" is kinda dumb since he can't actually identify you. Plus, revenge wasn't his main motivation, it's the large bounty on Charlotte he's after.

Honestly, that seems quite reasonable and now I feel stupid. Oh well, I'll just read from Chapter 1 and if it's still going on, maybe reinsert myself with a better idea of what's going on and a character that fits that understanding. Time to read :o

You actually don't need to bother necessarily. I mean, I'm obviously not against you reading it or anything, but other people have inserted themselves fairly well with admitting only reading parts of it.

And a Recap topic will be appearing...eventually when Snike gets around to it, which should be easier than the 200 pages or so we have now.

Edited by -Cynthia-

But, knowing Snike, that could take a little bit of time. Also, reading has never been much of an obstacle for me; reading quickly seems to come naturally. The only problem, though, is Kai. I might as well read "See Spot Run" for every one of his posts: same boring sentence structure

Edited by Csquared08

I sorta have to work, >.>

At least you're giving it a shot.

@ Cynthia: Will try to start tomorrow.

But, knowing Snike, that could take a little bit of time. Also, reading has never been much of an obstacle for me; reading quickly seems to come naturally. The only problem, though, is Kai. I might as well read "See Spot Run" for every one of his posts: same boring sentence structure

Elaborate much? School is over for me so i wont be sleep deprived as much as usual but an explanation would be good.

Edited by Kai

:facepalm:

Anyways....

@ Csquared: You contradict yourself. "Reading quickly seems to come naturally"? And my posts make this worst? What are my posts, like two lines each?

Edited by Kai