Sirius, Nightmare, Pride and Obviam's magical (and insane) Castlevania journey

Well damn.

Beat the Tristis Mountain without any further difficulties now.

Beat the swamp with one death because I didn't remember those Une thingies who explode in your face if you don't see them coming.

The mansion didn't go so well. Albus killed me, like, I stopped counting how often. Some 15 or 20-ish times. At first I wanted to fight him normally. Strike that, it doesn't work. Then I tried to spam QI like I read here. Either I did something utterly wrong, or his AI has been modified in the PAL version; either way, he QI'd out of my way literally every single time and chained this with his other attacks. Needless to say, it didn't work.

In the end, I beat him by spamming the good ol' Rapid Fire + Backdash Cancel, allowing me to react to nearly all his attacks instantly. I also abused his AI in a way that he'd nearly always QI right over me without doing any harm.

And now I'm stuck at Barlowe. Again, I stopped counting how many times he already killed me. More often than Albus did, that's for sure. I can get to his second phase, but then he suddenly either starts spamming that fire attack while directly next to a wall (and I haven't found a way to dodge it yet when that happens), or he starts his punches directly after using another attack, again leaving me unable to properly react to the first punch.

Time: 2:25:53

Gold: 12000

Completion: 54.5%, IIRC

HP: 288

Hearts: 140

MP: Who even cares

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At any rate, Dracula defeated.

Also, my death count probably rolled over into 4 digits, so before you start thinking I'm a master platformer or anything, just correct that notion to I am very diligent and very stubborn.

Oh come now, that's gotta be a huge exaggeration.I don't believe I reached 200 deaths and you've achieved all endings in Zero Mission while I've not.

This was a fabulous challenge, and I am ashamed I put it off for so long.

Cool. If you've got Metroid Prime 1 then you should try a Hard-No-Tank-5-Missile Run. Ice Troopers will easily become your favorite of the bunch. Took me a good while to take down Omega Pirate cause he kept summoning Wave Troopers =\

And now I'm stuck at Barlowe. Again, I stopped counting how many times he already killed me. More often than Albus did, that's for sure. I can get to his second phase, but then he suddenly either starts spamming that fire attack while directly next to a wall (and I haven't found a way to dodge it yet when that happens), or he starts his punches directly after using another attack, again leaving me unable to properly react to the first punch.

Jump + Ignis or teleporting is how I dealt with his fire attack. Against his STUPID DISCIPLE attack, you can perform a 1-button dodge with a well time Ignis while just standing still.

There's strategies and ideas on how to combat the bosses scattered all over the topic. Find those and beating Death = Beat this challenge. Dracula's a mere footnote with the lock I found on him.

Edited by Sirius

Do you know how many times I died because of not having enough MP to keep shielding myself with Optical Max Shot?

Eh, I guess. I have enough MP at this point to not run out unless I just stand there and spam Rapid Fire, in any case.

Yeah, fine. Cut me some slack, will ya? D:

Beat Barlowe with 11 HP left, entered Dracula's castle, found my way to Blackmore, and got owned. I don't like how quickly I do now hit roadblock after roadblock.

Blackmore's pattern is freaking silly, and cheesing my way through him with QI doesn't work because he for some reason almost always instantly hits me when he turns around. Is there something I'm missing, or will I actually have to go through the trouble of learning his pattern again?

I also feel like I'm hitting everything with a water pistol lol. When hitting a weakness, Optical Shot deals 33 damage, Max Shot deals 31 and Rapid Fire deals 14. Not sure about QI and lol @ Torpor.

How many HP does Blackmore have anyway?

HP: 328

Hearts: 150

MP: Enough

Edited by Shade of Shadow

Blackmore's pattern is freaking silly, and cheesing my way through him with QI doesn't work because he for some reason almost always instantly hits me when he turns around. Is there something I'm missing, or will I actually have to go through the trouble of learning his pattern again?

I also feel like I'm hitting everything with a water pistol lol. When hitting a weakness, Optical Shot deals 33 damage, Max Shot deals 31 and Rapid Fire deals 14. Not sure about QI and lol @ Torpor.

How many HP does Blackmore have anyway?

I never learned Blackmore's pattern my first playthrough (Shanoa normal), I just soaked the hits like a bitch because the Blackmore room really limits your maneuverability and I hated it. As for the QI trick, it is kind of finicky. It took me awhile before I figured out exactly how to get it to work, as often I'd been timing it wrong, and he would turn around and own my shit when I wasn't ready, or I would jump through into an attack. You have to pay a lot more attention than you might originally suspect because his different patterns have different lengths associated with them. The key really was what Obviam said. You need to wait until he's completted his little pirouette thing with his arms (Maybe not the right terminology, but there's this flourish he does before beginning his next pattern. The flourish is always the same even if the upcoming attacks differ.)

And yeah, it's really nickling and diming the bosses from here on out. IIRC Blackmore has 5k HP, Eligor has 3k HP, but you have to want to take out the crossbows first, which probably have 1k HP of their own (never measured).

I never learned Blackmore's pattern in HL1CANNN or HL1CSNNN. He was cheesable in both and I don't have any patience.

Also Bal if you were okay with cheesing, you might feel bad to know that there is a way to completely cheese Eligor. In fact I'm not sure why you were dealing with the crossbows anyway, because you can just warp behind him and warp out of their way etc.

Edited by Obviam

Gave up on Blackmore and took a different path in the castle instead, leading me to Eligor. Got owned by Eligor as well, so I went back and took yet another path, leading me to Death.

Somehow, I beat Death on my 6th try (with no damage taken, no less!). I didn't do much except spam Optical Shot and block most of his attacks with well-timed QIs, and I'm honestly surprised how quickly he died to a weakish Lv1 Albus.

Went back to fight Blackmore, got owned some more. Then, after I don't know how many tries, Blackmore just suddenly... ...died. He didn't go "that was quite entertaining" at all, he just died. Eh, that's cool, I guess.

Eligor still owns me, though. I can't teleport onto him, I can't teleport behind him, and even if I do it the old-fashioned way until I get onto his back the "legit" way, he kills me more quickly than I can even fire a Max Shot. Now, after like 50 deaths, I've had enough of this, and am going to look up a video on YouTube to find the most efficient way to beat him.

Oh yeah, I took a short look into Great Cave and Training Room as well. Fuck those, they're bloody impossible.

Didn't check my stats this time, but from memory:

Time: Roughly 4:25:00

Gold: 18000

Completion: 88.8%

HP: 368

Hearts: 170

MP: Not quite enough for Eligor

What ex... ...oh. I missed that. Damn, that would've saved me a headache.

Anyway, I beat Eligor on my own now. At first I came up with a completely flawless plan, consisting of destroying the front crossbow and then abusing his AI so that he'd always do the 5x stab attack with his sword, allowing me to do up to three L-Jumps chained with a Max Shot against his head. Turns out that Eligor is a cheater and has infinite HP as long as Albus hasn't been on his back. I've literally been pounding on him like half an hour this way, dealing at least five times his HP's worth of damage, and he just wouldn't die. It seems that the damage dealt this way isn't even counted, as even after I started dealing damage to him the "legit" way afterwards, he did not die to my first attack.

Beat him the "normal" way after like 100 tries. Did I mention that I hate this boss?

Made my way to Dracula, and actually started avoiding enemies more than fighting them. A Lv1 Albus just can't reasonably deal with cave trolls, lizard blades, final guards and all that other crap when there's hardly any room to dodge.

Speaking of Dracula, I pretty much roflstomp his first phase, then die the instant he uses his bat wave. I never did figure out how to dodge that attack (it hits me even if I duck), and due to the fact that it ignores mercy invincibility, it's pretty much an instakill. Gave up on that for now, I can't concentrate anymore.

Time: 4:54:11

Completion: 94.4%

Hearts: 190

MP: 15 L-Jumps

You should never see the bat attack if you make him cancel it.

Which is cheap as fuck, but whatevs

Also the dog attack is worse in this mode because they're hard to kill, whereas if you memorize where to duck you can actually survive the bat attack. Fortunately you can make the fucker cancel both of them.

Well, it's a bit tricky, but it works.

Beat Dracula, and thus this challenge. I think my fingers hurt a little now. Aside from a few really jerkish bosses, this challenge was really fun though!

Final time: 5:01:02 (yeah, I took the longest. Whatever.)

Completion: 94.6% (not 100% as planned, but like hell am I gonna go through the two bonus dungeons with Albus on Hard Lv1.)

Hearts: 190

MP: 15 L-Jumps

Attack strength (when hitting a weakness):

Optical Shot: 35

Max Shot: 33

Rapid Fire: 14

Quadruple Ignis: 54

Torpor: lolTorpor

Next challenge, please!

Eh? Training Hall should be piss easy.

For Large Cavern, all the doors open after a while even if the enemies aren't dead, so you can just dodge all day. Tin man rooms will be the hardest.

Demon rooms, you might be able to wait for the door to open before spawning them, but if not those might be hard too.

That said, fuck it.

Edited by Obviam

Eh? Training Hall should be piss easy.

I got to the part with the flaming skull rings. There are no platforms there, L-jumping upwards will just give you about 300 damage for running into one of the skulls, and Albus doesn't have the Magnes glyph. Is there another painfully obvious way to get past them that I'm missing?

For Large Cavern, all the doors open after a while even if the enemies aren't dead, so you can just dodge all day. Tin man rooms will be the hardest.

I know, but the first room is hard enough to survive in, what with all those robots basically making it impossible for you to touch the floor (the cave trolls aren't helping). And I don't have enough MP to camp on the ceiling for a whole minute.