I just beat FE1

Tryphen

HI, this is j04353 and I just beat FE1. I did it with a famicom cartage + converter, not the ROM. And seeing this is the least played and discussed FE game I thought i'd give some insight on the game, that hopefully the main site hasn't.

Summary:

1. This is the arguably the easiest of the FE games (the latter on Normal Difficulty) and is much easier than its remakes, due to many differences that were changed in other FE games and that are easy to abuse in this game.

2. This is pure 8-bit FE.

3. This game is probably the easiest FE game to play without translation due to the 2 remakes and lack of extra menus/items/features.

Differences:(Please note that some of these may not be fully tested)

Stats/EXP:

1. All stats max out at 20 except for HP (52) and Resistance (7).

2. There are no growth rates for Resistance.

3. Promotion gains are based on the base stats of the upgraded class and if a unit stats are above them during promotion, then they gain nothing in that stat. (So you really want to save stat boosters until after promotion)

4. All EXP is carried over during Promotions.

5. Units will gain the same amount of EXP despite their LV.

Classes:

1. Social Armour Knights are unable to promote

2. Shooters have the same ranges as normal archers.

3. Chainy can attack with swords, he only gains EXP when he attacks untransformed, when he copys another unit he also copys their current HP not just their max HP, he can copy mamkutes.

4. Healers only gain EXP when attacked by an enemy, equal to that units defeated EXP base value.

CPU/Chapter Maps:

1. All CPU's main pirortiy is to attack Marth, even if another Player unit is almost dead, if Marth is an attack option for them they will attack him 1st above any other Player unit.

2. Enemies weapons/items have unlimited uses. The game also does not show/highlight items that are dropped.

3. Reinforcements appear at the start of enemy turns, allowing them to be used the same turn.

4. CH. 15: has more grass then in the remakes, Garnef will not chase after you unless you are within range, reinforcements however appear at the start of the chapter.

5. CH. 20: Camus is now placed on the seizeing castle and will not move, Generals (including Lawerence) will move towards you after a few turns,

6. CH. 23: There are 4 Garnefs, however only 1 is holding Maph and they won't attack on the enemy turn unless Marth is within range,

Turns:

1. At the beginnings of Chapters you can only select units for that Chapter, and you must use the allowed # of uints given to use or you cannnot begin the Chapter.

2. You cannot trade items, only give items.

3. Merlinus style tents appear in every chapter to hold items (max 30). Withdrawing costs nothing, but depositing items costs $10.

4. Max weapons/items you can hold are 4.

5. Due to no battle prep at the begining of chapters, it must be done at the end of chapters.

Shops/Arenas:

1. ALL SHOPS (INCLUDING SECRET SHOPS WITH STAT BOOSTERS) HAVE UNLIMITIED ITEMS

2. Arena battles cannot be exited from, all arena battles are played at closed range making archers/shooters on ether side useless (Not fully tested), arenas have instant deaths traps occasionally,

3. You use the item you have equipped in your inventory in the arena.

4. There is a way to know which unit a unit will fight in the arena based on the gold shown at the start of matches (I'll post how to know later in the Site Content part of the SF Forum).

Other changes/Easter Eggs:

1. Only Marth, Mage Linda, and Mediuth have their own battle sprites,

2. If Falcion is equiped and battle animation is turned off, the battle animations when fighting will still happen,

3. Chainy only copys the male battle sprites and his portrait will not change, he can also use promotion items while transformed.

4. Mediuth (for some reason) has 71 EXP dispite being at max LV.

5. The only Character that you gain that has RES is Gato.

6. Miracle Sword is a rapier and can only be used by Marth, Dragonstones have unlimited uses,

Tips: (Since you can't call yourself an FE Master (I'm not yet) without beating the 1st game, I hope this may help some people).

1. Due to enemy fixation on Marth, he makes a great bait unit to place on the front lines to protect other units.

2. Since healers are nearly useless in this game, here is the best way to gain a good healer,

- In Ch.3 there are 2 thieves, kill 1 and place Rena on castle when the other is in range, and each enemy turn she with gain 40 EXP without being harmed,

3. In arenas, have a mage fight an archer and they will be able to attack without being counterattacked and win every time. Only works with mage Marich and Linda.

4. Word to the wise, don't directly watch the Triangle Attack unless you want a seizure.

I may update later, but for now feel free to post questions/talk about the game here.

NO I AM NOT A TRANSLATOR.

I was doing a walkthough of the ROM game on Youtube, but since this game is very slow and hard to speed run through, I stopped.

But if people would like to see a walkthough, just ask.

Edited by j04353

Ah. This is some good information for when I get around to playing this one. I didn't know too much of this.

1. Social Knights are unable to promote

Don't you mean Armour Knights, though?

Wow, this is good stuff. By the way, I noticed that in Shadow Dragon, enemies seem to go for Marth as well even if they could attack a weaker unit. I think it's because the AI is programmed to try to win, the only way you can actually lose in FE1 or FE11 is to have Marth die. So, how do you think Americans would have received FE1 had it been released on the NES for North America?

Wow, I'd be nice to gain experience like that with healers if they accidentally get attacked. But the no exp for healing just sucks.

I've had a question for awhile now... What does the 'luck varies' thing for characters that start out as enemies equate to? I mean, how much does it vary by, or do they just have some random number for luck?

2. This is pure 8-bit FE.

Since there are only two 8-bit FEs, I'd say this isn#t a hard thing to do.

There is a way to know which unit a unit will fight in the arena based on the gold shown at the start of matches (I'll post how to know later in the Site Content part of the SF Forum).

I'm looking forward to this.

4. Word to the wise, don't directly watch the Triangle Attack unless you want a seizure.

:awesome:

To add to your list, a few months ago I compiled a list of differences between the FE1/3/11 scripts.

The biggest difference I remember is the ending of Chapter 7 (the Lefcandy chapter), in which Morodof gives some backstory info on the three main dragon tribes. This information was cut in both remakes:

Morodof: Prince Marth. Today, let us speak about the legends of the Mamkute tribes.

Long, long ago... Those known as the Mamkutes first arose in the region of Dolhr, where they branched into three coexisting tribes:

Narga's Divine Dragon Tribe, Basilisk's Demon Dragon Tribe, and Salamander's Fire Dragon Tribe.

Of these, the Narga possessed the strongest power by far, and were thus able to suppress the other tribes' attempts to conquer human civilization.

Instead, they sealed their true draconic natures in gems called "dragonstones" so that they could not be distinguished from regular humans.

They lived side by side in peace, free of conflict with humanity. But before long, out of nowhere appeared the Earth Dragon Tribe of Medeus.

With the enormous power he himself possessed, Medeus managed to overthrow his nemesis Narga and established the Dolhr Empire.

In time, he invaded the human realm. The entire world fell under his control.

Naturally, the humans fought back, but before Medeus's might, they soon reached the end of their rope.

At that time, a young man named Anri, arming himself with a blade that shone with light -- Falchion -- rose to face Medeus.

A furious battle commenced, and at the end Medeus was felled.

That's right. You should know the rest, your highness. That young man was the founder of Altea, Anri the First.

But it has been 100 years since those dark days... Now, in Dolhr, Medeus has been resurrected once more.

Prince Marth! You alone are the chosen one in whose veins the blood of Anri flows.

There is no one left to succeed the unfulfilled will of your late father, King Cornelius, but you.

(emphasis mine)

That detail shows up again later on in Chapter 17 (Starlord), where Moses mentions Basilisk in his battle quote but Morzas in DS does not. And also in Chapter 9, where Mannu mentions Salamanader.

Chapter 10 (Princess Minerva) had completely different opening narration.

Jake recruitment in Chapter 11 (Knorda) is a little different (he's characterized as a bit more of a playboy, as opposed to the remakes where he's pretty faithful to Anna).

Hollstadt actually gets lines at the end of Chapter 13 (Wooden Cavalry). Evidently he was in charge of the ballistas.

A small detail, but in Chapter 14 (Gra), Himmler is the one Camus says was hiding the tome. (DS names Volzhin/Bozhin/whatever)

Some dialogue is shifted around in the last few chapters, but is otherwise mostly the same. There are some timeline differences as well that I'll address at the end.

Another small detail, but Camus openly calls Nyna his "beloved" in his death line (this was cut out from all subsequent incarnations, prolly cause of the cheese factor XD).

As Falchion alternatives, Gato originally names the following: Miracle Rapier (as you noted, this is locked to Marth, as Est states during her recruit conversation), Gradius, and the Devil Axe.

Timeline differences: When Nyna is relating her backstory, she gives the timing in FE3 as "three years before", but in FE1 it is only "two years before". (Unrelated note: FE1 Nina refers to Medeus as "Emperor Medeus of Dolhr" as opposed to the "Dark Earth Dragon Medeus.") I can't recall if DS gave any specific timing (I think it didn't).

Similarly, in the ending, FE3 gives the war's length as 5 years, DS doesn't mention the exact length, and FE1 has it at 3 years.

Most other changes were just wording/phrasing differences, or stuff that got expanded in the remakes, plus occasional differences in village dialogue due to gameplay tweaks.

Edited by Hitomi

Wow, that makes me wish I knew a little more Japanese. Especially since I think in some character endings they mention FE2.

Here's a small update,

Jake can be recruited without speaking to Anna.

Marich is recruited in the northern village of Ch. 4, not in the western village.

Ch. 16 has more forts for reinforcements to appear but only for 2 turns.

Shooters battle sprites change depending on what weapon is equiped.

Also there is a Sound Test mode (although there are only about 15 songs in the game),

which I believe is activated by finishing a Ch. and selecting not to continue to the next chapter. Then by pressing up, down, left, right, A, takes you to it.

I've tried to do it once, but it the game crashed and deleted all my data (which is why it took me another month to beat). Anyway, this means that it still needs to be tested.

I need help i got my dragonstone into the storage and i can't get it out

feglitch.jpg

My storage looks like this: 2 blank name if i get one out my character will disapear i wont be able to choose any other characters(the cursor is in between the squares) and if i end my turn the screen is stuck. If i suspend after i can play but my character is still gone .

Its ok it was a patch problem ._.

Edited by DomDaDude

2. Arena battles cannot be exited from, all arena battles are played at closed range making archers/shooters on ether side useless (Not fully tested), arenas have instant deaths traps occasionally,

3. In arenas, have a mage fight an archer and they will be able to attack without being counterattacked and win every time. Only works with mage Marich and Linda.

If you want to use the arenas safely, I'd advise using Pure Waters/MStaves and sending them in to battle Mages and making sure to use a piece of paper to count the gold increase (40G) after every level gain.

On gamefaqs is a guide with which you can determine what your enemy will be in the arena:

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/562649-fire-emblem-ankoku-ryu-to-hikari-no-tsurugi/faqs/21979

========================================

5. Arena lists

========================================

Gambled gold minus 40 times (level minus 1) - Enemy Class (Enemy Weapon)

*Lord

-1060 - Axeman (Axe)

-1070 - Axeman (Axe)

-1080 - Axeman (Axe)

-1250 - Social Knight (Spear)

-1260 - Social Knight (Spear)

-1270 - Social Knight (Spear)

-1280 - Social Knight (Spear)

-1320 - Magician (Thunder)

-1330 - Magician (Thunder)

-1360 - Armor Knight (Spear)

-1370 - Armor Knight (Spear)