BigKling's Playthrough Notes

Hey there, Big Klingy! Pardon me for wanderin' in, but I've been keeping an eye on these translations and I'd just like to thank you for workin so hard on them! Since Nintendo hasn't given an English release date for this game, these threads are a real help for us fans ^^ Thanks again, my friend :D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF an English release doesn't come, definitely. But I doubt that. Almost half of the sales for 11 came from America, I think, and I'm pretty sure America accounted for more than half of 10's sales. They're probably just gonna do the same thing they did in Japan and announce it right before it comes out.

Maybe...I certainly hope so :newyears:

That said, I wonder if an actual full translation will change people's impressions of the game. From a few places I hang out at I've gotten the feeling that there's some wailing and gnashing of teeth over the plot changes from FE3 (Michalis lives now, right?), so maybe some of these changes will seem less...jarring under a full and professional translation. u_u!

Regarding any changes the localisation my make, the one thing I have a strong feeling they will change is Sirius' "there is someone waiting for me" line, because it makes very little sense if you don't know about Gaiden.

Speaking of Sirius, I've since read about a Japanese word: Mu. As a response to a queestion, it means something like 'I refuse to answer that because your question has no logical basis'. I have since realised that Sirius uses this phrase a lot. I may have accidently translated it as simply 'no' a few times, sorry about that. Although the 'no' he said in 'About Nyna' is still no though, i.e. the suspicious denial is still there.

Again, I think they may tone down Ogma's 2nd support with MU. Maybe Feena's sencond one two, although it's not likely, considering what I've heared they kept in Ephiram and L'arachel's supports.

There isn't much they could possibly change in the main story. I mean, Eremiya's death scene and backstory is fairly creepy, but still, FE9 has

Greil killing his wife in frount of his children

which is pretty solid proof that the localisations always leave heavily emotional scenes intact.

Really, the only bit of bowdlerization I know of in the FE series was the removal of the slave traders from SD. Although I do have a slight feeling that actually occured in the Japanese version of SD too. Knorda is still not a nice place though... (look at Ogma's 2nd MU support)

Overally, I thought SD's translation was very good, so I'm anxious to see what they do with this one. It takes more than a straight translation to make a good English script, it needs to be reviewed and then edited to make it more interesting, but in a way that is still in keeping with the original Japanese script.