Doctor Who Appreciation Topic

Narga_Rocks

Because I feel like it. I know most of this forum is more into anime than Live Action Sci-Fi stuff, but I thought I'd give this a go.

Post favourite quotes, whether you like the show, favourite episodes, favourite Doctor, etc.

(And Darkness itself recoils in fear.)
Well, you need to get yourself a better dictionary. When you do, look up 'genocide.' You'll find a little picture of me there, and the caption'll read 'Over my dead body.'
Cyber Leader: Daleks, be warned. You have declared war upon the Cybermen.

Dalek Sec: This is not war. This is pest control!

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?

Dalek Sec: Four.

Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?

Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You are superior in only one respect.

Cyber Leader: What is that?

Dalek Sec: You are better at dying.

(after the Daleks fall back a foot just in reaction to being informed the Doctor is around)

Rose: Five million cybermen? Easy. One Doctor? Now you're scared.

I've always wanted to watch the show, but I never got to.

Nor do I know where to start. Should I watch the more recent episodes or start from one of the earlier seasons?

I have no idea how good/bad/cheesy the original was. It's been around for like 45 years or something (though took a decade or two off at one point).

If you were to start watching and didn't want to risk being unable to watch something as old as the original (or there's the possibility it's just too hard to find) then I'd recommend starting from when the new series premiered. So, the first episode with Rose and the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston.

Not a fan, but:

Cyber Leader: Daleks, be warned. You have declared war upon the Cybermen.

Dalek Sec: This is not war. This is pest control!

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?

Dalek Sec: Four.

Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?

Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You are superior in only one respect.

Cyber Leader: What is that?

Dalek Sec: You are better at dying.

This is a pretty awesome line.

Not a fan, but:

This is a pretty awesome line.

I should probably point out that the Dalek isn't actually wrong. Which makes the line all the more awesome. Of course, thanks to a certain Doctor neither side actually had the opportunity to test this out so maybe we can't be 100% certain.

Ooh yeah I love Doctor Who. :D I agree, that Dalek Sec quote is just awesome. I started watching since Series 9. Christopher Eccleston was great, then I liked David Tennant more, and now Matt Smith is cool too.

Doctor Who is just so amazing I can't remember all the good stuff. :( Here's one of my faves anyhow:

Little torch vs huge light bar thing

Rory: Your's is bigger than mine.

Doctor: Let's not go there.

Can't wait for the next series... heard it's coming out in Spring 2011(?).

I'm a Doctor Who addict :awesome: . It's by far one of my favorite shows. I started watching it when it was Christopher Eccleston, and I have watched all the way to Matt Smith. Unfortunately, I've only seen 2 episodes of him so far, which I seriously need to fix.

My favorite Doctor is definitely David Tennant. Christopher Eccleston was fantastic (yes, I just did that). I really liked him. Matt Smith also does an amazing job. He really suprised me, seeing as he came after David Tennant. I've seen a little of Tom Baker's Doctor too, but he is definitely different than the current ones. It was so cheesy back then. David Tennant is the best actor to ever play the Doctor. It's an undeniable fact lol.

My favorite episodes are mostly around Season 4, or anything written by Steven Moffat. Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, 42, Blink, Utopia, Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords, Partners in Crime, Sontaran Strategem, Poison Sky, Doctor's Daughter, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Turn Left, Stolen Earth, Journey's End and Waters of Mars. Like I said, I've only seen 2 episodes with Matt Smith, so I can't say much about Season 5. Steven Moffat is an amazing writer, and don't get me started on Russell T. Davies <_< .

Quotes:

The Doctor: The Angels have the phone box.

Larry: "The Angels have the phone box". That's my favourite; I've got that on a t-shirt!

Professor Yana: A hermit. With... friends?

The Doctor: Hermits United. We meet up every ten years. Swap stories about caves. It's good fun... for a hermit.

Fifth Doctor: It's like like two time zones at war in the heart of the TARDIS! That's a paradox. Could blow a hole in the space-time continuum the size of —well, actually, the exact size of Belgium. That's a bit undramatic, isn't it? Belgium?

Tenth Doctor: D'ya need this?

Fifth Doctor: Nah, I'm fine.

Tenth Doctor: Oh, no, of course. You mostly went hands-free didn't you? Like, "Hey, I'm the Doctor. I can save the universe using a kettle and some string! And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

I really really want Jenny to come back somehow. She probably wouldn't work as a permanent character, but just an episode or two. Not sure how it would be done. Also, since Jack is going to live forever (or at least until the year 6 billion something, depending on who you listen to) then he should be in the universe in whatever year the Hath thing happened. It would be fun to see him meet her, although how he'd figure out that she's a Time Lady I wouldn't know. I don't think he has a phone that can call the Doctor, though, so he wouldn't be able to call him up if he did find her, I guess. Oh well.

Some people seem to want a spin-off for her, but there are already two spin-offs out there and all she has is a shuttle. I don't even know if that shuttle can break light speed. I can believe that the Tardis just drags the doctor to where he needs to be at the right moment. I don't think I could buy the shuttle randomly landing on a planet just as it needs Jenny to save it.

It seems very possible that Jenny may come back. Russell T. Davies was just going to kill her off. Steven Moffat, however convinced him to let her live. Now, he's the head writer, and her actress is willing to come back, so chances are good we will see her again, in some way or another. I'm really hoping she comes back. We need more Jenny.

• 1 month later...

I thought this meant that someone actually did die, but the video doesn't show anyone dying. So... what am I missing?

no, I just love the video. That's all. I thought posting the video rather than just the words would be better. I love the way he begs for it to work.

Well, this is something I didn't expect to see here. :awesome:

Tennant was defiantly the best Doctor in my opinion, Smith is pretty good and I'm used to him now but still Tennant was better.

The series with Martha was probably my favorite overall, Amy was also a really good companion but I just think they got a bit carried away with the whole plot ending up centering around her.

Also I think we can all agree Blink was the one of the best episodes. (mind you I haven't seen anything prior to Eccleston)

Well, this is something I didn't expect to see here. :awesome:

Tennant was defiantly the best Doctor in my opinion, Smith is pretty good and I'm used to him now but still Tennant was better.

The series with Martha was probably my favorite overall, Amy was also a really good companion but I just think they got a bit carried away with the whole plot ending up centering around her.

Also I think we can all agree Blink was the one of the best episodes. (mind you I haven't seen anything prior to Eccleston)

Blink was...too awesome to put into words.

Of course, since I love things that are way too powerful (eg: Holsety, Narga, Rand al'Thor), I also really like "The Parting of Ways". The reason for that should be obvious.

• 6 months later...

My fav quote was from The Family of Blood:

"I've seen him; he's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm and the heart of the Sun. He's ancient and forver. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. And...he's wonderful"

-Tim Latimer to "John Smith"

As for epicness:

"My planet is long gone but its name lives on: Gallifrey. Remember, you did this."

-Tenth Doctor to the Empress of the Racnoss

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey of the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who's going to save your lives and all 6 billion people below"

-Tenth Doctor in the Titanic episode (forgot the name)

Ten is still my favorite, but the Eleventh Doctor quickly found a spot for himself.

I thought this meant that someone actually did die, but the video doesn't show anyone dying. So... what am I missing?

Thats the entire point of the quote. For once, everyone lived. Nobody dies.

Not even the guy who flies off on a suicide mission.

P.S. Oh, and Amy is the best companion out of the new series, which is all I've seen.

• 3 months later...

OH I love Doctor Who. I am soooo looking forward to the next half-season!

Here's a new trailer from BBC about the upcoming episodes! The music sounds pretty epic I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Epic thread is epic. It also reminded me to change my name. Already did it on Facebook, might as well do it here...

Closing Time (this past episode) was filled with great quotes. Probably the funniest New Who episode yet.

If the Doctor dies and turns out to be the flesh Doctor, I'll be mad. It's just too obvious for Doctor Who, and the flesh episodes were by far the worst episodes this season.

McCoy>Tennant=Smith.