a PoR 'why?'

whase

why are steel axes rank E, while steel bows/swords/lances are rank D?

I found this out when I had Jill use axes instead of lances from promotion and on.(gets E rank axes on promotion)

just curious, does anyone know?

I used to think that it was a programming error, but steel axes were E rank from FE6 all the way up until FE9...

Also, a small nitpick. Steel axes haven't always been E rank. They were B rank in FE4 and D rank in FE5.

Of course in FE4, there was only C, B, A and * rank. So 'B' rank in FE4 is closer to a D rank in the other games.

Then again, B ranks also had Hero weapons, which are typically B, along with the Killer Bow which is usually a C.

Another similar case goes to the GBA Poison Lance, being an E when the others are D and the FE 5 Master Axe being a B while all other Master weapons are A. FE 5 Killers are divided in two distinct groups of C's and B's as well.

Then there's the FE 5 Hero weapons...

Edited by Medeus

... But this is the reason why Axe weapon level are the easiest to raise then the other weapons.

really? I always found swords easier to master, since you almost always double with them and barely ever OHKO with them.

really? I always found swords easier to master, since you almost always double with them and barely ever OHKO with them.

Steel weapons give more weapon experience than iron. Instant steel use means more weapon experience earlier.

Then again, B ranks also had Hero weapons, which are typically B, along with the Killer Bow which is usually a C.

Killer Bow is C in FE4. Which must have been a mistake of some kind, since it's equal or superior to Steel (which is B rank) in every way (same 14 Mt, 5 less Wt, and gives Critical).

Edited by Mekkah

And swords had the Iron Blade as A, even though in many other games that thing is D (fe6 to 9 anyway). (C in fe5 but it had 3 more mt than steel sword and there was no steel blade, C in Dawn but that game raised a lot of weapons by 1 rank. Iron blade doesn't seem to exist in the rest)