Fire Emblem Sacred Stones (8) Questions

Sire

First post here. (yays!)

I'm still in the planning phase of a little failure project of mine, however, I lack complete knowledge whatsoever of the tools required and the limits the game may place on you. Thus, question time!

[Note: I have skimmed through a few sections of an "Ultimate Tutorial" located somewhere here. So I have basic book knowledge of some things.]

General:

1: Is there a max size limit for a .gba file?

2: Is there a max size limit for a patch?

3: How does one get rid of branched promotions? (Trying to go for a slightly more traditional Fire Emblem)

4: Can I remove the multiplayer "Arena" mode? (To save space)

Characters:

1: Can I expand the character slots? If so, then how far? (Originally, I planned on replacing all existing characters and try to add one more, but I also came up with a "bonus" chapter of sorts that requires the original Sacred Stones characters in addition to the new ones.)

2: This may go in hand with the one above. I also wish to add more boss-type characters for the enemy in certain chapters. How does one achieve this? (I also know this exists near one of the endgame chapters, with the Bishop and Dragon. I'm planning on having five "bosses" in one single chapter)

3: Is it possible to have an "ally" (neutral) army fighting alongside your forces? I have planned several maps where NPCs are abound fighting the opposition. (I know this is already present on a few defense maps, but I'm planning when they are actually aggressive and do something useful)

4: How many "custom classes" can I input? (I am planning on adding only 1 original, one edited, and two others that replace the respective Lords)

Notes: Trainees are going to be scrapped, but most of the branched classes will remain.

Music:

1: I am planning on substituting most of the original music tracks with ones from other sources, so the "game" can have a semi-custom soundtrack. Is this possible?

2: Is it possible to scrap the Multiplayer Arena music and use those slots for elsewhere?

Thanks in advance. Perhaps this mini-project may turn into something more for a first timer's attempt.

-Sire

PS: Should I actually make progress, I may post a few things here (in the respective subforum) if this ever leaves the concept / planning stage.

Edited by Sire

General:

1/2. I'm not sure. I don't think so. You can expand your ROM by adding 00s onto the end with a hex editor if you really need to.

3. Go to "promotion editors" and erase one of the two choices.

4. Probably not.

Characters:

1. Unless you replace characters like bosses and/or generics, hex editing is the way to go.

2. In the character editor, there's a little dropdown box that has "0x80 Boss" in it.

3. You're gonna need custom events for that, as the Nightmare Modules have a limited amount of space.

4. See #1

Music:

It's called Song Editor 0.37

Actually got started messing around and made first progress. Turned Eirka into a mage of sorts with higher stats than normal to see if stuff works. (She had some leftover stuff from the original Lord, like her standing sprite, items, and weapons, but some of the normal map and movement showed the one I placed in.)

Despite the very small adjustment, I was happy I was making progress. (Yay.)

General: (Responses)

1/2/4: Oh well. Size may no longer be an issue (I hope), at the current status.

3: Promotion Editors and erase one of two choices. Should be easy... (Actually,this has been done by the time of posting. Haven't tested if it works though...)

Characters: (Responses)

1: I'm probably going to end up just replacing characters, hex editing sounds a little complex... (I'll just have the original characters portray themselves as generics for that one chapter...)

2: Well, that was easy...

3: Custom Events? I can't just add extra units to the map, flag them as "Ally / Neutral"(?) and use the AI provided?

Music: (Responses)

1: Song Editor? I think I'll look into that...

Alas, more questions arise. If I'm going to work on my hack, might as well try to do it right the first time around...

It also seems I may need to acquire something called an "FE Editor". This requires more research...

(Current arsenal: Nightmare 2, Mappy, FE 8 Modules... Just got the Song Editor, haven't looked into it yet...)

Characters:

1: How does one create a "custom" character by replacing then? I wish to replace Erika's Lord class with a custom Sorceress one, as well as change the name, description, and all that other fun stuff... (Importing graphics I'll do way down the road, I do not wish to request sprites that will never be used or be mutilated by a new recruit that knows not what he is doing.)

1 Notes: I slightly have the knowledge to manipulate the current data (just class stats and a little bit of graphics) to suit my needs, but how does everything get replaced exactly?

Maps:

1: Is it possible to import existing FE 8 maps directly to Mappy, or must I recreate them from scratch?

2: I have tinkered with the map editor a little bit (Mappy). How does one insert the map into the game?

Text (Event?) Editing:

1: How exactly does one accomplish this? I heard of stuff called pointers, but I have not fully grasped said concept.

2: I desire basically to change the text, the portraits the show up and speak, and maybe how the map does stuff.

3: World Map events is also something I'll need to learn soon.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

-Sire

Actually got started messing around and made first progress. Turned Eirka into a mage of sorts with higher stats than normal to see if stuff works. (She had some leftover stuff from the original Lord, like her standing sprite, items, and weapons, but some of the normal map and movement showed the one I placed in.)

Despite the very small adjustment, I was happy I was making progress. (Yay.)

General: (Responses)

1/2/4: Oh well. Size may no longer be an issue (I hope), at the current status.

3: Promotion Editors and erase one of two choices. Should be easy... (Actually,this has been done by the time of posting. Haven't tested if it works though...)

Characters: (Responses)

1: I'm probably going to end up just replacing characters, hex editing sounds a little complex... (I'll just have the original characters portray themselves as generics for that one chapter...)

2: Well, that was easy...

3: Custom Events? I can't just add extra units to the map, flag them as "Ally / Neutral"(?) and use the AI provided?

Music: (Responses)

1: Song Editor? I think I'll look into that...

Alas, more questions arise. If I'm going to work on my hack, might as well try to do it right the first time around...

It also seems I may need to acquire something called an "FE Editor". This requires more research...

(Current arsenal: Nightmare 2, Mappy, FE 8 Modules... Just got the Song Editor, haven't looked into it yet...)

Characters:

1: How does one create a "custom" character by replacing then? I wish to replace Erika's Lord class with a custom Sorceress one, as well as change the name, description, and all that other fun stuff... (Importing graphics I'll do way down the road, I do not wish to request sprites that will never be used or be mutilated by a new recruit that knows not what he is doing.)

1 Notes: I slightly have the knowledge to manipulate the current data (just class stats and a little bit of graphics) to suit my needs, but how does everything get replaced exactly?

Maps:

1: Is it possible to import existing FE 8 maps directly to Mappy, or must I recreate them from scratch?

2: I have tinkered with the map editor a little bit (Mappy). How does one insert the map into the game?

Text (Event?) Editing:

1: How exactly does one accomplish this? I heard of stuff called pointers, but I have not fully grasped said concept.

2: I desire basically to change the text, the portraits the show up and speak, and maybe how the map does stuff.

-Sire

FE Editor is your best friend biggrin.gif but dont you think this stuff is too much? this is gonna take a LONG time.

Actually, I recently learned that the edited ROM can't be over 32MB or the GBA won't accept it.

Nope. You have to disassemble the event, and add more units manually. Check this topic for more information. Or you can use Arch's Tutorial for something a bit more in depth.

Characters:

Name, Description, animation, etc.: FEditor_Adv. The most basic of the GBA FE editors not named Nightmare 1.0

As for replacing, there's always FEditor, Nightmare (There are a couple modules for it, I'm pretty sure) or just plain out hex.

Maps:

1. http://www.feuniverse.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7643

2. Ctrl-F MAR inserter. Note that you have to save the map as a MAR in Mappy first.

Text (Event?) Editing:

-Sire

For text, FEditor_Adv is again your god.

Pointers are little hex (Binary, actually, but hex works too) strings that tell the game where to look to find data.

As for how the map does stuff, you can use the Tutorials I linked above or use Google (Fire Emblem Event Editing). BTW, Events are on-map stuff, not necessarily text.

Finally, I have no idea how world map events work. Sorry.

I'm not exactly the best hacker around. I just happen to understand things because of well-made tutorials.

Edited by Camtech075

Got around to working on it again. (Many thanks for the questions answered and to the authors for those tutorials! Know that all your work was not in vain.)

I have obtained FEditor Adv. , and made some text changes. (The recruit's emotion for finally mastering just one part of his training is shown.)

Dummy gameplay is first priority, then start working on the more complex stuff.

A public playable version may be released when...

1: Units have been changed. Graphics will use generic placeholders or default. [status: In Progress...]

2: Placeholders for Levels 1-5x done. (Mainly just placeholder text events, edited / custom maps and stuff may be made later...) [status: In Progress?]

3: I feel confident enough so that I won't leave this place with shame.

Optional Stuff:

1: Getting some of the customized music inserted if possible. (Going to have to go through the learning / converting process...) [status: On Hold]

2: Start requesting for customized graphics. Before I start here though, have to learn how to insert them properly first... [status: On Hold]

Also, even though you may not as experienced as others, I thank you for your answers and putting up with the new recruit, Camtech.

[spoiler=Sire's List]Learn Dissembling Events / Adding More Units. [Tutorial 1 , Tutorial 2]

Map Stuff [Mappy Converter , Mar Inserter]

My suggestion for learning to insert music (as well as 90% of everything else you could need) is Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial (Sorry for volunteering your work, Blazer...). The only thing that could possibly need more work is the part where he explains event editing. Beyond that, it's very, very, VERY extensive.

Edited by Camtech075

I have been using the Ultimate Tutorial since the start. (Mostly for skimming for information than reading the entire thing, which I have yet to do...) [The FE 7 orientation leans me away from said tutorial. I'm worried about FE 8, not 7.]

So, questions. Alas, these are probably better suited elsewhere...

Spriting Questions:

1: How does one exactly make a custom portrait of a character? (Splicing and Custom methods exist as far as I know, but I know not the methods.)

2: Changing "palettes". How does one accomplish this for battle sprites and portraits?

3: Anything else I may need to know about splicing, spriting, customization, and other stuff?

Basically, spriting involves the use of Microsoft Paint. Seriously. That and lots of practice. I know there are some splicing tutorials around, but I don't feel like digging them up (they're like at the bottom of the FEU archive).

Changing palettes involves hex editing. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

At the current rate I'm working I'm about to say screw it and just request sprites and for someone to convert music files. (When one man can't do a job, find a professional or someone proficient willing to do it.)

In addition, I'm also considering stopping the demo at chapter 4 instead. The further I move along, the greater the difference will be between the demo and final product (should that ever be reached).

I'm also going to jump the gun and try to learn Events, in addition to starting back on square one.

The reason for this is simple. Practice is good and all, but learning is the most important aspect. I think I got the basics down for a decent hack (barring custom graphics which is something I lack).

General Questions:

1: How does one make a patch? (I think I may already know the answer to this one...)

Edited by Sire

Ran into a problem with Mappy and the FE Mappy Converter.

I managed to successfully convert the map using the converter, but trying to implement the map into Mappy (not the game), doesn't seem to work.

-I know there is a Mappy Data .txt file. (I tried using Read Textfile on Mappy, but it doesn't work. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here?)

-I do have not access to useful guide for this FE Mappy Converter (Access denied, although it can be fixed by making a dummy account. I don't like Dummy accounts much though...)

Can't really progress without a map to work with.

(Someone really just needs to make a massive tutorial database that spanned across most of the FE sites in each location...)

Edited by Sire

• 2 weeks later...

People already answered it I guess... but if you need confirmation:

General:

1. 32MB is the max the pointers can handle when expanding IIRC... Not sure about this though, as I haven't seen anyone have a need to expand it that far ._.

2. If you use UPS, you won't have to worry about the IPS patch 16 MB limit.

3. Like Camtech said, Nightmare modules

4. Not without ASM at least. Just leave it there, you don't really have to worry about space unless you hit that 32 MB limit.

Characters:

1. You can expand the "table/array" by repointing the pointers that point to the table and expanding it in the free space. "Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial" shows how to do it one one chapter IIRC.

http://www.feshrine.net/ultimatetutorial/

"Chapter 35-36: The Animation Modules & Repointing Tutorial"

2. Just nightmare module in the "boss" element for the character, and then event edit them in. If they require boss quotes, be sure to do so via Nightmare modules (and expand that table/array too if necessary).

3. Event editing, and set their AI to something aggressive.

4. "As many as you want" basically if you expand the table/just plan on replacing other class slots. You just have to edit the appropriate info, like the battle animation pointer if you also added a new animation via "Max Index" on FEditor Advance.

Music:

1. Like Camtech said, Music Editor... and there's also "Sappy" for your offset and header finding needs, to use in conjunction with said Song Editor.

2. There are A LOT of "Nothing" slots for music. You don't really need to replace anything as far as music goes if you use events... Since you can use any music slot.

Post 2:

Character:

1. FEditor Advance is your friend

Maps:

1. Camtech gave you the link already to Bwdyeti's program :P

2. Same here

Text/Event Editing:

1. Pointers are "general" hex values that tell the GBA where something is located. They're different for each thing you want to do. However, if you mean Event "pointers" that would be in the "Event References" module for FE8 in which you repoint where the original Event Data is, to your custom event location in another space in the ROM.

2."Text Control Codes" in the doc folder of FEditor Advance

3. World Map control codes for FE8 are pretty much unknown at this point in time. Though Ryrumeli has made progress in some aspects of it, like removing it altogether, it has NOT been released yet (probably to working out the kinks in it, etc.)

Post 3:

Spriting:

1. Your favorite image editor... Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, Usenti all work.

2. Battle Palettes: http://www.feuniverse.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4109

Portraits: Just with the 16 colors you used when you insert it with FEditor Advance.

3. Just that you need to keep in mind the shading and the usual stuff. You'll get better with practice. Here are some tutorials to help you out:

http://thebrokenemblem.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=133

http://forums.feplanet.net/index.php?showtopic=1678

http://forums.feshrine.net/index.php?showtopic=3090

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who have answered the questions and put up with me. Without you guys, I probably wouldn't get this far.

The bad part is, this thread is also a mark of shame. Oh well...

However, due to inexperience, even more questions seek answers.

"Chapter Name" Text:

-I wish to change the original name to a new one. (Example: Prologue: The Falls of Renais -> Prologue: Departure). I have FEditor, applied the changes and... nothing happens.

(I may be using the incorrect method, if so, please enlighten me with the correct choice of action.)

Screenshots in the spoiler.

The file for my hack. It is saved and applied.

Test.png

The file for the original ROM. Both Inputs are exactly the same.

Test2.png

In-game Screenshots of my hack, with the "Departure" name instead of "The Fall of Renais", Needless to say, it doesn't work.

Test3.png

Test4.png

If anyone can uncover this mystery, it would be greatly appreciated.

As of now, that is the only question that needs answering. I'll need to check Event tutorials again for (hopefully) some simple edits and additions in the existing events.

Customized music is still on hold. I'm trying to get the maps, balance, and text working properly first.

As for portraits and graphics, I'm completely screwed in that regard. (Pictures speak louder than words, and people rather look at graphics than pay attention to text a person works on.)

If you're hacking FE8, then those "text" are actually graphics. What you changed is probably one of the "Goal" screen when you access the menu (the one with "Units", "Suspend", etc.) Chapter name. I have no idea where those graphics are since it's FE8. My knowledge with those are limited.

I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a rushed release...

Item Question:

Upon testing Eirika's Rapier replacement on the new Lord, it does not seem to work (It's been like this for some time). I changed the weapon into a tome for mages while keeping everything the same from before.

Tinkering the item in Nightmare, I have removed the Locked to Eirika ability and now it works, but I still desire for the tome to be locked to Lily (Eirika's replacement).

Notes:

Lily completely replaces Eirika and her class. (Lily -> Eirika == Lord -> Sorceress)

Even changing Lily's name back to Eirika doesn't work. I'm guessing its looking for specific pointers...

Item Question 2:

This goes with the above, as I am planning on making a few more PRF weapons. How can one accomplish this? (I am planning on replacing a few existing items that serve no function.)

If you're going to make Lily be able to use a tome for mages yet still be locked to her, you need to give her the appropriate weapon levels.

----

To make other PRF weapons, most people use something like this:

Step 1: Give weapon Eirika weapon lock (Iron Lance now has Eirika lock applied)

Step 2: Can 'Eirika' use said weapon type? (Can Eirika use Lances?)

If Yes, use a different weapon lock and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Else:

Step 3: Rename item.

Step 4: Rinse and repeat for every new PRF weapon you use. However, make sure that you don't accidentally give someone the wrong PRF. (Gilliam can use Eirika weapon locked weapons. So can Franz. Iron Lance is meant to be Gilliam's PRF. Steel Lance is Franz'. However, they both have the Eirika weapon lock. See the problem?)

Lily can use Tomes ever since the demo (I gave her a Fire, that is what she has been using for some time now). Weapon levels should not be a problem. (I already changed it from Swords -> Anima "E")

So what I am getting here is that the same "Eirika Weapon Lock" can be used multiple times, but to avoid PRF issues, all people involved can not use the item the other can. So, using my characters as an example...

[Eirika Lock]

Lily -> Anima Lock (She unlocks all schools of magic upon promotion, but no staves)

Nicole -> Sword Lock (No matter where she goes, she can only use swords.)

Robert -> Bow Lock (However, it is possible for him to gain Swords upon promotion)

[Emphrain Lock]

Roland -> Sword Lock (He is still stuck to swords upon promotion)

Needless to say, Robert presents the "dilemma" here. He can use Swords upon promotion, and both locks have sword users. Chances are I'll just give Robert a low level bow for everyone or something. Nicole is more important than Robert.

I'll have to look again into Lily's lock issue and see if I can fix it with the answer provided.

Thanks for the information Camtech.

Edit:

Based on the information provided, I did a test on said method. It doesn't work. (I also tried a few other locks as well)

Eirika Lock:

Lily -> Anima

Nicole -> Sword

Robert -> Bow

All respective characters already have the weapon level. (All characters have "E", the weapons themselves are None, but even changing them to E doesn't work.)

The weapons themselves are classified correctly. (Unsellable Weapon or Magic)

When classifying the Unsellable Magic to Magic, the icon lights up but it still unusable.

...During the time of this writing, I just realized I could do research on some of the existing ROMS I have. Go figure.

Edited by Sire

I think I have discovered why.

In addition to messing around with the items, you also have the mess around with the character themselves in order to pull off PRF weapons. Going to test now.

Edit: Works perfectly. Thanks for the contribution, otherwise I probably would sit around just staring at the screen blankly.

Edited by Sire

...I wish you'd told me you haven't touched the actual characters. I could have told you the problem in fifteen seconds (plus however long it would have taken me to type it).

But still, nice to know you found a solution.

I did mess around with the characters a bit. As stated before, I changed the classes, names, weapon levels, etc. Eirika was not Eirika with swords and the Lord class. She was changed to a Mage-type class that uses anima magic.

What I was missing was that there was an ability that had to be assigned to said character to unlock their PRF weapon. (Perhaps I removed the original Eirika unlock weapon when I was tinkering with it the first time.)

Anyway, once again, many thanks for your contribution. I'm expecting a rushed patch to be released in about 6 hours. Just have to do more tweaks for balancing, fix some text bugs, etc.