Fire Emblem 4 - Shin Patch

Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

Hello all,

I've been at this hack for Genealogy of the Holy War for a fair while now, all prior releases being on the Gamefaqs board. It's been play-tested by a fair few people so hopefully there's nothing horribly wrong with it .

The aim of the patch was to alter the balance of the game, making more units and weapons viable without making it a cakewalk. Early versions were very easy, as most changes were only buffs. However, enemies were then made more dangerous - by upping class growth rates, enemy skills and equipment. Hopefully this means that the game is now a little harder, without turning it into Thracia 776. The final goal was to make more pairing viable. Stuff like giving Pursuit to Claude and upping Alec's magic growths made weird pairings such as ClaudexLachesis and AlecxFury usable.

To make things easier, it is now packaged with Twilkitri's translation. I had no part in it and do not take any credit for it whatsoever.

NOTE: Some animations are a little funny. Plus, map animations aren't recommended! Do not complain about these, unless you know how to fix them.

DOWNLOAD LINK -->THIS THING

Special thanks to;
Me - For spending literally forever on it
Celice - A lot of help on how to use various tools and where to find them
Octavian - Test subject for many of my working builds
Horace - Expert opinions on difficulty
Integrity and Darros - Playtesters during the Shin Patch draft. At least they finished!
And you! - For downloading it, right?
Twilkitri/j2e Renegade - For their wonderful work on the translation of FE4. Thank you to Twilkitri for permission!

Major changes include;
- Changes in maps and enemy locations
- General increase in difficulty
- Major weight reductions for Axes, Lances along with Fire and Thunder magic
- Addition of skills such as Ambush to Beowulf, Continue to Noish and "Darkness Sword" to Alec
- Arden and Corple starting as their promotions and promoting further
- Major level ups for Tiltyu and Corple, both too low leveled to catch up
- Addition of "Killer" weapons
- Changes to substitute characters
- Sword skills may now be passed down freely

1.94 includes

- Minor buffs to substitute children's bases

- Noish and Alec have swapped their skills back

- Hero weapons have been generally nerfed

1.93 included

- Voltz will no longer charge Levin

- The Nodion trio shouldn't die as easily

- Noish and Alec have swapped Continue and Darkness Swords

- Minor text changes

- General balancing

1.92 included

- Completed chapter 10 map
- Fix to the Voltz targetting Levin problem
- Less Fin auto-pairing
- Sword skills can be freely passed down

1.91 included;
- Changes to enemies in chapter 10
- Correction of map bug in chapter 9
- Various minor changes

1.9 included:
- Map changes for chapters 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Enemy changes for these chapters
- Misc playable character balancing
- Enemies now have luck - (credits to 58 ◆M6m.dcrwvM of Moonland for the patch)
- Con system is in place - (by 65(?) of the Moonland)
- Luck now contributes to critical evade (by 十六章-58 (十五章-799) of Moonspeak land)
- Ambush now causes its user to always go first, regardless of HP (reverse engineered from Moonspeak hacks)
- Holy weapons can now be bought and sold

1.8 included;
- More swapping of sword skills, Alec now has Darkness, Ardan has Sol and Dew has Holy
- Significant map changes in chapters 4 and 5. The second generation will follow soon.
- Nerfing of the Longbow
- General balancing of characters and difficulty
- Introduction of the "Iron Mage" class, the wrath-blicking magical armour
- Reduction of mounted movement by 1 universally

1.71 included;
Alec and Dew swapping sword skills
Dew losing Continue
Holy Sword also heals upon activation
Prologue and Chapter 1 maps changed
Enemy placement in Prologue to Chapter 2 changed
General balancing
Bug fixes
Unique classes for Holyn and Alec (Alec upon promotion)

1.7 includes;
Ardan-> Darkness Sword
Alec -> Holy Sword
Lex -> Defense + HP up
Janne -> Speed + Strength down
Daisy -> Strength + Defense down
Alterations to the Prologue Map
Class Cap changes
Slim Sword might reduced
Enemies altered

FE4J_00002.jpgFE4J_00005.jpg

FE4J_00003.jpgFE4J_00002_zpsafcadf4c.jpg

"Supports"

Pretty much the sibling bonus. Applies for the following;

• Alec, Noish and Arden
  • Lex and Azel
  • Sigurd and Cuan
  • Ethlin, Edain and Dierdre
  • Hannibal and Corple
  • Fin, Leaf and Altenna
  • Lester, Oifaye and Delmud
  • Dew, Jamka and Midale

Constitution and Critical Evade

Basically, strength divided by 5 is deducted from weapon weight, rounded down. So Fin with 17 strength would lose 3 AS less than the weight of his weapon. Strength is also used for tomes.

Critical evade is basically the luck value of the defender deducted from the critical rate of the attacker. This also applies to effective weaponry, woo!

A fairly comprehensive changes list was attached. Warning, it's 9 pages long. However it currently out of date by a couple of versions. I'll get around to a full changelog when I've finished with maps.

I'd also like to request for help. Currently, I'm fairly familiar with Nightmare. However, I'm look to;
- Edit text and dialogue - Working on it, kinda
- Insert animations, I know a pack's around but I have no idea how to use it
- Possibly allow minor Holy Blood to use weapons but for lower bonuses

NOTE

Please use ZSNES when playing the Shin Patch. Unfortunately, Snes9x doesn't seem to be able to run it. Apologies for anyone inconvenienced by this.

Edited by Shin

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome stuff so far. Just ran into a minor issue that I'm not sure if you addressed in this version. Specifically, in chapter 3 I had a nasty run in with some balistas and had to reset the mission because my "strategical placement" fell apart when their range was actually 2-3 higher than their red area indicated. 0.o

Also, I'm using the previous version. Can I swap straight to this one? If not, am I missing out on anything major?

It seems that range graphics don't change when the numerical values are altered. Considering how 2 extra range doesn't really matter, I'll probably put it back to 3-10. The only other weapon with its range changed is the Iron bow (now 2-3), it comes in handy sniping mages.

Updating from an old version shouldn't be a problem at all, the only things that aren't affected are the classes of units already spawned and unique base stats.

Glitchesfrom the version right before the current one (so not sure if you fixed it):

Minor: Some waves of enemies (mainly some of the dragon knights) in level 9 won't attack you. They'll just kinda surround you and chill (and not just against characters they have 0 chance to hit...Lolsetinny for the win).

Major: Level 9, the wall of balista. The back balista thing turns into a horse during the attacking animation and the game locks up. I wound up having to get my two hardest hitting mounted units and do some fucking the the RNG to bust a hole in the wall of balista and then have the second mounted unit swing in and one shot the back one.

Question: Any chance you could fix the game locking up when Sylvia goes to get the sword in chapter 4? It was present in the original version to, was just curious if that's something you can fix in the mod...either by directly fixing it or moving the sword to be obtainable elsewhere.

The problem was that they had a weapon they couldn't equip, meaning that they won't attack. They can only defend themselves. I believe I've solved the problem in question, it occurs in quite a few places, hopefully I managed to squash all of them. There's one in chapter 8 I found, but that will be fixed for next time. The Ballista thing has also been sorted. It happened as at the time, I hadn't given it any animations.

The Sylvia thing, I can't do much for it. All I can do is recommend that people save regularly and to get her to enter the village at the beginning of your turn before anyone else moves.

I'd also like to mention that the patch is still open to suggestions from you guys, whether it be classes, skills or weapon properties. I'll start off with Azel. Currently, he's benefiting from the massive weight decrease of fire magic. He's also got access to Yotsmung when he promotes. However, with Claude having pursuit, I'm not sure if there is enough incentive to use him where Claude offers pursuit and generally better growths. Volcannon does come a little late in the 2nd gen to be useful.

Hmm, maybe you could give Azel a swordskill? He probably won't be able to pass it on, but there's a patch on this site that allows swordskills to activate with anything. Maybe, Sol could help his durability somewhat, since his damage is pretty good. Buffed skill allows Sol to have a decent activation rate too. Maybe Ambush and Sol for kicks?

Also, how did you get Forests and Forrest Knights to have an axe animation, especially the Forest? And what did you use to give thieves a bow animation? Finally, I'm trying to use the player weapon editor module, but everytime I open it, both dropdown lists are blank and don't actually display any weapons.

Azel could actually pass a sword skill down to the sword twins, Patty and Lynn. Sylvia is a fair choice for Azel but Aira and Briggid aren't really that great with him. Ambush would make AzelxTiltyu far too powerful ^^. If sword skills could be passed down freely, it'd be another story.

There's a whole module for animations, I can't remember its name but it's something like Battle Sprite editor. In the module, all I did was replace redundant animations such as female Social Knight and put the values for the classes I wanted in. Regular axes were fairly easy to add, they can use the sword animations. However, with bows and hand axes, I had to use sprites from other classes like the Bowfighter and Warrior.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double-post but I'd like to mention that this is still going ^^. I'm currently sorting through the Enemy module for enemies that have weapons they can't use. If anyone's still interested, could you lend me a hand and help find them in-game for me?

Other than Azel, I'm wondering about different options for Hannibal. With his speed, he's never going to double anything - so Pursuit's out of the question. Would a sword skill or Wrath be a good idea? It's kind of hard to tank with such a half-hearted offense. Another update's on its way, mostly minor things but any interesting ideas are welcome.

• 1 month later...

Other than Azel, I'm wondering about different options for Hannibal. With his speed, he's never going to double anything - so Pursuit's out of the question. Would a sword skill or Wrath be a good idea? It's kind of hard to tank with such a half-hearted offense. Another update's on its way, mostly minor things but any interesting ideas are welcome.

Hannibal is kind of unfixable. The best you could do would be Astra or Luna, since they allow him to do more damage. Preferably Astra because they're both based on SKL.

A sword skill would probably work well; his skill's not too bad. Barons currently have Critical as a class skill, so a promoted Hannibal would score some pretty nasty hits.

I'm liking your patch. It's fun. Mind you the mountain thiefs with Hero Axes in the Prologue was just cruel. And to much 1-2 range. Just saying. Fun though.

Don't worry, the thieves don't keep them for very long; it was just to give Lex a hard time ^^.

Those mountain thieves in prologue were pretty brutal. They had higher Spd than any of your characters at that point, an excellent weapon, Skl that sits around your characters' and decent Str to boot. They're stronger than prologue's bosses methinks. And that's not in a sense of "you should make the bosses more powerful". My god even Sigurd has real trouble dealing with them.

Also Alec starts off fairly weak. In normal he'd do like 10 damage or so to 30-ish HP(and double), now he chips 7 to 41HP (and doubles, most of the time). and same goes for Cuan and Fin. Cuan and Fin get significantly lower hit rates on those axes, dropping it to 60-ish chance of hit(AT BEST, MUCH WORSE AGAINST THOSE MOUNTAIN THIEVES). Fin outdamaged Cuan because he could double. And then there is the defense issue. Alec gets 2 hit I believe, Cuan gets 4 hit or so against good hit rates and Fin gets 3 hit or so against ditto high hit rates because they're locked to lances while going against axes. In prologue. To make matters worse, they'll be going against primarily axes again next chapter.

... And the arena lvl7 dude, dulles the general, has enough defense to let almost everyone but sigurd, cuan and azel do 1-2 damage. Pretty harsh.

And I only played prologue and arena in ch 1.

Stuff I'd think would balance it all out a bit:

• taking those hero axes off those mountain thieves and replacing with something like a steel axe or hand axe/berserk
  • Giving alec 1 or 2 more points into Str at base
  • Reversing dropped hit rates on some weapons or at least iron+steel lances to give Fin and Cuan a break early on.(I believe you said you dropped hit rates on many weapons somewhere)

It was hard but enjoyable, I'll update what I think and suggest as I play through. Chapter 2 enemies don't look too powerful.

Edited by KieranAllmighty

Thanks Kieran, I've done a few playtests myself but it's nice to have it from another angle.

Alec's been a pickle, his damage output's not great so maybe a little STR might help - somehow it's actually lower than it is in the base game. There's always the option of giving him a steel sword too. There are enough iron ones poking about. Looking back, the combined buffs for the Mountain Thieves do make them pretty nasty. A steel would probably suffice then.

I've reduced the speed of the axe wielding enemies, along with a slight increase to Lance accuracy. I'd love to see a play-log, it'd give me an idea where the difficulty yo-yos.

On chapter 2. You need to do something regarding the three brothers. In Vanilla they survive just fine, but since enemies don't suck balls now, it has become much more luck based.

They need a boost to defense or something. I had to basically save scum to save the brothers and get the bargain ring in time. Also those bandits need weakened. Levin getting mid 50's in hit rates is bad.

Otherwise fun. I'll do a play log of this as soon as I finish my Vanilla play log.

Also, before I forget. You could promote Dierdre before she gets abducted. Mine was sitting at 17 with minor if any abuse. If she came a few levels higher, we'd get her as a sage. And better Stats for Celice. Also Sigurd's Magic is Manly. 15 what?

Edited by IntegerZero

Sigurd's Magic Growth may be broken, I'll put that on the list. I've never actually been able to keep the Nodion Kamikaze brigade alive, I'll probably buff them too.

It is actually possible to promote Diedre to Sage, it's a little something that I've put in. I agree that a few levels could see her promoted. The bandits will also be affected from the speed base/growth drops I've got ready for the next version, it'll drop their speed by about 6 or so, meaning that their evade would drop by around 12%, hopefully providing a hit rate of about 70%.

I'll try and get 1.51 out fairly soon, everyone's nit-picking's making me seem very bad ^^.

Meh. I had to get lucky on kinbois, that bastard one rounds everyone on the team with his silver AND hand axe. Same thing applies to that duke knight dude that rushes nodion. And saving those paladins protecting lackesis is as Zero said luck-based. Most enemies I find a tad too hard to take in the numbers they come by. Mostly because of their high hit/luck at hitting me. It makes all the evade my units have kind of pointless.

It's not that bad. It's like HHM for FE4. Just some patience. Mind you, Noish is officially Ayra's best husband. Sorry Lumi, but Continue, Critical, Charge, Pursuit, Nihil, and Meteor is ridiculous. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif Ska shots everything. Ayra does too. cool.gif

Also, Tiityu needs something else. Maybe something somewhat useful, like Nihil perhaps. It'd give her slightly more durable kids, since you swapped inheritance, so Arthur can't just go LOLsety on everything. And 2nd gen is a blast.

I'd have to agree with Noish being the man, although my last run with Holyn wasn't too bad (with his slight sacrifice in SKL for STR) - aside from the mediocre defense. Mind you, he doesn't have any magic/m.def growths. Whilst not a major loss, it does make a minor difference. It's also a relatively difficult pairing, so it may be worth the trouble.

My advice for Kinbois is Arden. He's got enough STR and DEF to deal a fair amount of damage and survive - especially if Holy Sword activates. Midale's 2-3 range Iron Bow helps too, don't forget Sigurd's leadership bonus too! Elliot does kinda require Cuan and Lex working together.

For Tiltyu, I was considering something like Nihil or Prayer. Arthur really has got a bad deal out of it, losing both Holsety and the Valkerie Staff (Not like he could use it ^^). He's also stuck with a Wind Tome if Tiltyu doesn't promote and get something else to give him.

Considering Fire magic isn't bad in this patch, azel!arthur should be far more workable than the crappy Arthur you would normally get and I don't really see reason -as of yet- to buff him through whatever means. Ditto for Tailto. I never had problems raising her, even factoring in her starting level. Just let Briggid retreat ot the strip of beach that's only one tile wide and let her tank all the hits. Tailto can stand behind and snipe everything while claude has to heal with his reserve staff from time to time. IIRC that should get tailto up to lvl 8 or so. If you're gonna buff her, make her defense growth existent or give her vantage or something. Though vantage might just break her.

Considering Fire magic isn't bad in this patch, azel!arthur should be far more workable than the crappy Arthur you would normally get and I don't really see reason -as of yet- to buff him through whatever means. Ditto for Tailto. I never had problems raising her, even factoring in her starting level. Just let Briggid retreat ot the strip of beach that's only one tile wide and let her tank all the hits. Tailto can stand behind and snipe everything while claude has to heal with his reserve staff from time to time. IIRC that should get tailto up to lvl 8 or so. If you're gonna buff her, make her defense growth existent or give her vantage or something. Though vantage might just break her.

Vantage would break her. That's why you pair her with Lex. And she does have a level buff. I only recommended Nihil so you have two less units that worry about crit. Especially with the Yeid Desert Chapter. So many guys with wrath. Also if you could give Noish a better speed growth, but maybe lower his base a little further. It should held out his fathering a bit I think. He should give you faster kids than Lex, but slower than Holyn. At least with Ayra. Also, Tiltyu has swapped inheritances. Be careful if you pair her with Levin, because no you has HolTinny coming after you and will one shot half your units.

EDIT: SylviaxAzel is pretty hardcore. Leen + High mag + Fire Sword + Prayer + Continue + Pursuit + Dark Sword = W1N. Try it. She's ORKOing Thracian Dragon Knights. Lulz.

Edited by IntegerZero

Hi, I have been searching all over the internet for weeks now in order to play this FE game. I have found some patches that are 'translated', but have half of the major text still untranslated. I found this one along with Dark Twilitri's but am unable to open it with my emulator. Can someone please help me?

Hi, I have been searching all over the internet for weeks now in order to play this FE game. I have found some patches that are 'translated', but have half of the major text still untranslated. I found this one along with Dark Twilitri's but am unable to open it with my emulator. Can someone please help me?

I'd say this is the wrong topic to post this, but start here:

http://forums.grandbell.net/index.php/topic,147.html

That should get you started.