Fire Emblem 4 - Shin Patch

Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

GUYS LET'S TAKE THE MONEY AND SCRAM.

Truly, it's rather annoying to have to go trudging through forests and waiting for the enemy to slowly slog their way towards you, since only Voltz has decent movement in there out of his whole squad. And I don't think they went dashing off into the woods in vanilla, either, so I'm wondering what exactly caused them to think it was such a great idea this time around.

Well, Levin is the "closest" character to Voltz since Voltz can move freely through forest now, so he goes after Levin. And I think all his little friends are programmed to try and follow him rather than pick their own targets; the exception is Beowolf who isn't Voltz's friend so he can pick his own target. From Beowolf's perspective, Sigurd and co. are closer because Beowolf takes forest penalties, so he goes off on his lonesome.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am now at chapter 4, and every time I enter a battle (Either arena or on the map), the game freezes and shows a black screen. I was able to do a decent amount of arena combat yesterday, but I just downloaded the more recent version of the translation patch, and that seamed to mess it up (switching back to the original does no good, nor does loading an earlier save, nor does activating the animations). There seems to be an incompatibility between it and your modifications, and until they are fixed I cannot advance.

Edited by GreatEclipse

^ I could be wrong, but I believe that is a bug with the translation patch, and not Shin's here

EDIT: I didn't read the OP, didn't know he combined them. Oops!

Edited by General Horace

So wait is this the new patch for FE4? Or is this another patch that is applied after the one given from the site is used??

Apply this to a clean FE4 ROM. It's currently bundled with Twilkitri's older translation for convenience. You could probably apply the newer translation afterwards, but I can't promise anything.

Made it to chapter 8, great work with the patch. Making a few more balancing suggestions based on what I have played so far:

1) As far as Gen 1 units go, Dew and Tiltyu are the only ones that still need work. Not every units needs to be amazing, but as a general rule, everyone should at least be usable without being a cause for frustration, even if their use slows you down. I plan to do a ranked run of this game (Using this patch) immediately after finishing, but the thought of training them to LV 20/-- already looks like it will be more annoying than challenging. To make the most minor of changes, remove the Brave Axe off one of the fighters chasing Dew in chapter 2 so he can gain some early EXP, and give Tiltyu a C in Fire and Wind magic so she can play the triangle before promotion just like Azel and Levin. Increasing her base move to 6 would also help with the babying (Do the same for Azel and Aideen while you are at it). You would almost certainly need to give her Ambush to make her even remotely worth using on her own, though. It could be argued that it makes pairing her with Lex less worth while, but Elite is good enough by itself to make him competitive as a father for anyone.

2) Speaking of which, Elite makes Johan a no-contest pick over his brother, considering he already has more move + Canto, and his speed disadvantage is almost meaningless since Johalva lacks Pursuit. Johalva absolutely needs it for him to be seriously worth considering.

3) Now that I know what it does, the Slim Sword feels kinda broken. Almost every enemy in this game with impressive HP/DEF is weak to it. Dropping the ATK would not help much, given how this game calculates weapon effectiveness. It would be fine if you only had 1 (Since it also makes a few really brutal sections/bosses more manageable), but I currently have 3, plus 2 Armor Cutter's and a Horse Slayer.

Edited by GreatEclipse

I don't know if Dew is so bad in ranked. He's good enough in the Arena thanks to the Killer Bow and he can always at least chip enemies for money and experience. He has access to cheap Pursuit and Elite Rings, too. He certainly levels a lot easier than in vanilla.

And Dew is useful in other ways in ranked; namely, being able to transfer money to other units. The longbow is really a boon because it means he can reliably steal money from enemies. I just wish he was more accurate with it...

I don't know if Dew is so bad in ranked. He's good enough in the Arena thanks to the Killer Bow and he can always at least chip enemies for money and experience. He has access to cheap Pursuit and Elite Rings, too. He certainly levels a lot easier than in vanilla.

And Dew is useful in other ways in ranked; namely, being able to transfer money to other units. The longbow is really a boon because it means he can reliably steal money from enemies. I just wish he was more accurate with it...

If you just want to steal some money to give to other units, yeah, he should be fine, but enemies are quite strong in this patch right from the start, so he needs easy exp early on if you want him to get anywhere as a fighter. And yes, accuracy is still kinda an issue even if you want to use thieves just for their skills, something I discovered about Patty in chapter 7 when trying to use the Sleep Sword (She gets one-rounded by almost everything, BTW).

Oh, and one last thing I forgot. I hate having Critical on 1-2 range weapons (It just feels cheap, since anyone not using a Longbow faces a counter, accuracy is counted with 1 RN and CEV does not exist). Why not use the weapon slots currently devoted to Steal Lances and Axes as the Killer weapons for that class? They currently have no advantages over Silver save the lower weapon rank requirement. You could adjust the ATK/Hit/WT as needed to make it balanced.

Edited by GreatEclipse

If you just want to steal some money to give to other units, yeah, he should be fine, but enemies are quite strong in this patch right from the start, so he needs easy exp early on if you want him to get anywhere as a fighter.

I think that Shin has said before that this isn't supposed to be a balance patch but rather a "make sure everyone has a viable niche". I think that Dew has a pretty viable one just in money management. Another solution could be to make a Power Ring available relatively early, perhaps in Chapter 1 in place of the Skill Ring. That way, if you want to give a struggling character like Dew help with their combat, you have that option (and he can buy it easily).

Oh, and one last thing I forgot. I hate having Critical on 1-2 range weapons (It just feels cheap, since anyone not using a Longbow faces a counter, accuracy is counted with 1 RN and CEV does not exist). Why not use the weapon slots currently devoted to Steal Lances and Axes as the Killer weapons for that class? They currently have no advantages over Silver save the lower weapon rank requirement. You could adjust the ATK/Hit/WT as needed to make it balanced.

Steel weapons are if anything, more common and more dangerous than Hand Axes (because of higher hit). As I recall practically every enemy in Prologue and Chapter 1 wields a Steel Axe.

Edited by Anouleth

I think that Shin has said before that this isn't supposed to be a balance patch but rather a "make sure everyone has a viable niche". I think that Dew has a pretty viable one just in money management. Another solution could be to make a Power Ring available relatively early, perhaps in Chapter 1 in place of the Skill Ring. That way, if you want to give a struggling character like Dew help with their combat, you have that option (and he can buy it easily).

Depends on how you interpret this statement.

The aim of the patch was to alter the balance of the game, making more units and weapons viable without making it a cakewalk.

I am explicitly not asking for Dew and Tiltyu to become amazing units (Though I would have no problem if that was the case), only that they be made a bit easier to baby.

Steel weapons are if anything, more common and more dangerous than Hand Axes (because of higher hit). As I recall practically every enemy in Prologue and Chapter 1 wields a Steel Axe.

Yeah, you would need to switch most foes currently using Steel to Iron (early) or Silver (late), but that would make them more challenging without making them feel cheap. I still remember several characters, including Sigurd, being OHKOed by Hand Axes early on, with the bosses being particularly bad. Though I suppose you could also just change their equipment (You would make them vulnerable to pot-shots, but no player going for a decent turn count will fight them that way), or just not have Killer lances or axes at all (You already have a way of making anyone weapon into one already).

Edited by GreatEclipse

Depends on how you interpret this statement.

I am explicitly not asking for Dew and Tiltyu to become amazing units (Though I would have no problem if that was the case), only that they be made a bit easier to baby.

Yeah, you would need to switch most foes currently using Steel to Iron (early) or Silver (late), but that would make them more challenging without making them feel cheap. I still remember several characters, including Sigurd, being OHKOed by Hand Axes early on, with the bosses being particularly bad. Though I suppose you could also just change their equipment (You would make them vulnerable to pot-shots, but no player going for a decent turn count will fight them that way), or just not have Killer lances or axes at all (You already have a way of making anyone weapon into one already).

Yeah, I don't know if it's really that important to have Killer Axes. After all, the only primary axe users that even exist are Lex, Johan and Johalva; who all have access to the superior Hero Axe and even Silver Axe. I found that I practically never wanted to use the Killer Axe because it was so unreliable and weak. And I don't think that adding the critical ability to it really does anything except annoy the player. I would gladly give up Critical in exchange for a little more hit rate on the thing. I don't really remember Killer Lances, to be honest. Javelins are still a thing, and if they can crit, I haven't noticed it.

Game is glitching up again. Currently at chapter 9, and conversations either will not play (You get a black screen) or the game instead plays a different conversation than it should. I figured out I could fix this by applying the more recent translation patch, them switching back when you regain control because doing so prevents you from entering battles (Yes, this is as tedious as it sounds). This problem really needs to be looked into.

What files do you need, and how do I upload them? The attachment feature on this message board does not seem to accept the srm file, or any individual save-states. I should note that it is only the early parts that seem bugged, everything after the seizing of Luthe works fine.

You can always archive them as a zip and upload them, or use a generic file service like mediafire.

Personally, I suggest both the save file and the savestate, as each show different things. A savestate can contain traces of where something may have gone wrong; an SRAM will only show whatever was actually saved, not what was active at the time of your playing.

(this is along the lines of why making sure you restart your game after completing Generation 1 is a good thing, because of that one bug about Celice's leadership stars--the RAM was never fully cleared out or something--and if you play with savestates the entire time, you carry that static RAM problem the entire way too).

Thank you for the advice, Celice. Anyway, when you load the chapter, the game goes to a black screen after the conversation between Altenna and her father, one I was only able to get out of by temporarily switching to the new translation patch. Then after the first player-phase, the game plays a conversation between Sety and a civilian from chapter 8 in place of what it normally should. The conversation between Leaf and Altenna, as well as what plays if you seize the first castle before Hannibal is recruited, are similarly bugged.

Oh, one more thing I keep forgetting to tell you. The game freezes whenever Holyn or Skasaher use an Axe while combat animations are turned off. Not sure if this is something you can fix, as it is clearly caused by the game lacking a map animation for them.

Fire Emblem 4 Genealogy of the Holy War.004.zip

Fire Emblem 4 Genealogy of the Holy War.srm.zip

Edited by GreatEclipse

NOTE: Some animations are a little funny. Plus, map animations aren't recommended! Do not complain about these, unless you know how to fix them.

Thanks for the save files, I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you're pressing the actual buttons rather than the adverts. A little reminder that I'm still working on this, I swear!

Well,you could just sent the patch to my Email:lecongvu1997@gmail.com.

Or you can screenshot what you see? You might not be the only person who has this problem.