Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure how, but you seem to be having difficulties with downloading! I can confirm that the download link works on a variety of browsers, so I'm uncertain what the issue is!

• 5 months later...

Could you go into a little more detail? When does it freeze, and what is your set up?

I am using a znes and i patched fire emblem gharnef rom when i talk to beowulf the text box doesnt come up and it just displays the words "with alright en" where the text box should be.

That will be your problem. The Shin Patch isn't guaranteed to work with other translation patches other than Twilkitri's which it is bundled with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Shin gonna try out your patch since it seems like everyone enjoys it! I'm going to finish FE4 first before tackling this so I can understand the changes.
Looking forward to it :)

Edited by BlueTetri619

• 1 month later...

I recently played FE4 and it quickly became my favorite game in the series. So I figured I'd try replaying with different pairings, and while I'm at it why not use that Shin patch to mix it up? Well I cannot get it to work, at all. I've tried applying the patch to roms with the new translation patch, I tried applying to roms with the old translation patch, I've tried applying to completely clean roms with no patches to speak of. All of these roms worked before being patched but not after, every time I get a message from ZSNES saying something like "Checksum: Fail, Bad Rom" I've tried playing the rom with SNES9X and ZSNES I even redownloaded both in case I had super out of date versions and that was the problem. I've had someone try applying the patch for me and they couldn't get it to work either so unless we're both dumb it's not something super obvious that I'm going to feel stupid for not realizing later. And I can't even try finding a pre-patched rom since every search result is either for this thread or the new english patch. Basically the only thing I've not tried is a previous version but it doesn't look like there are any links to one. So basically I'm just really frustrated and so I come to ask if anyone else has had these difficulties and if anyone knows what I can do to make this patch work.

I missed that part (text wall too stronk), all my test builds have been done on ZSNES 1.42, and they run without issue. Can I ask which versions of emulators you have tried? Some users have reported success with various ones.

3 hours ago, Shin said:

I missed that part (text wall too stronk), all my test builds have been done on ZSNES 1.42, and they run without issue. Can I ask which versions of emulators you have tried? Some users have reported success with various ones.

Well I figured I should provide as much detail as I could to narrow it down. Anyways as for ZSNES it looks like both downloads that I've tried were 1.51 and SNES9X is 1.53

2 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

Maybe it's just the header issue? IIRC you have to use a clean headered rom.

By headered what do you mean? 

Edited by KimJongTsun

22 hours ago, KimJongTsun said:

All of these roms worked before being patched but not after, every time I get a message from ZSNES saying something like "Checksum: Fail, Bad Rom"

ANY modification to a ROM is going to fail its checksum, because of what checksums are (look it up)

if you are following the checksum failure as an indication that the patch does not work, you are incorrect

17 hours ago, KimJongTsun said:

By headered what do you mean?

a headered ROM has 512 bytes of empty space at the start

@Shin, your patch still has some rogue bytes at the end of the ROM, it may be causing some problems

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I really wish there was a version of this that was compatible with the RetroArch resources, ZSNES is so dated, I can't stand using it these days. It's really swaying me away from playing this rom because I dislike ZSNES so much :/

On 3/23/2018 at 2:10 AM, Evrys said:

I really wish there was a version of this that was compatible with the RetroArch resources, ZSNES is so dated, I can't stand using it these days. It's really swaying me away from playing this rom because I dislike ZSNES so much :/

Have you tried other emulators? Taking a brief look at RetroArch, I can't see what emulators other than SNES9x work on it. Try and see what else might work.

• 5 months later...

So the end credits right after you defeat the final boss and seize the castle is all garbage text, and it continues to be that way throughout the rest of the ending until the big world map reaches Verdane, which after some more garbage text it soft locks completely on Verdane. the music however still goes and I even got it to end the music by fast forwarding. None of the keys seem to do anything whatsoever, so it's just stuck. I'm not sure if this is a known issue that you couldn't find a fix for or anything, or if I just got extremely unlucky with the characters I paired up or what, but sorry in advance if this is a redundant post. Also, Sorry if this is a problem on the side of the translation patch only.

Edited by Buttguttlutt
I left something out

Dude you literally finished the game, there's nothing else.

There was simply no reason to fix that stuff since whoever plays this hack surely played the base game already and thus probably doesn't care about anything other than the gameplay.

2 hours ago, Buttguttlutt said:

Also, Sorry if this is a problem on the side of the translation patch only.

This is an infamous issue with older FE4 translation patches,  one of which the Shin patch runs off of. Don't worry, you've won! Enjoy your broken ending. (For the record, the one patch that has a functional ending doesn't play nice with other hacks, along with certain emulators.)

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, Buttguttlutt said:

So the end credits right after you defeat the final boss and seize the castle is all garbage text, and it continues to be that way throughout the rest of the ending until the big world map reaches Verdane, which after some more garbage text it soft locks completely on Verdane. the music however still goes and I even got it to end the music by fast forwarding. None of the keys seem to do anything whatsoever, so it's just stuck. I'm not sure if this is a known issue that you couldn't find a fix for or anything, or if I just got extremely unlucky with the characters I paired up or what, but sorry in advance if this is a redundant post. Also, Sorry if this is a problem on the side of the translation patch only.

Necro this shit: I doubt you remember, but how tf do I keep Patty and Shanan alive at the start of Chapter 7 (Running from dark mages)? Honestly the only thing I can think of at this point is that I would've had to pass Patty the Barrier+Renewal rings.