Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. You'd just apply the sword skills A and B patch. I linked to it in the resources thread, happy hacking!

The patch updated and you didn't tell me? For shame XD Just kidding, I'm gonna have some fun with this. Though by this point I've forgotten the pairings I'd asked you to challenge me with. Sorry about that XD

Soooooo who should I pair?

Edit: Or I'm blind and didn't notice -_-;

Edited by iavasechui

Sorry to keep bugging you Shin but how do I apply the sword skills A and B to my game? Do I just patch them on with IPSWin or is it something else I'm missing?

Welp, I finished Chapter 10, and I guess the current patch. Before I get all nit-picky, the hack was very good, and fixes some of FE4's issues. Obviously it can't fix the "core" issues of the game(Only being able to capture with Seliph/Sigurd, plot and gameplay relation weirdness, and the stupid arena) but it felt like a much better thought out game. Besides the individual character balance, the strongest point was having classes with more weapon options(The first post never mentioned this, so I was suprised in Chapter 7 when I noticed Finn could use a sword and then examined everyone's weapon levels). While this isn't "fully" implemented yet in my mind, as there are not a lot of great weapons to go around that allow characters to take better advantage of the secondary weapon(Why would Beowulf use an axe?), it is a smart choice.

Now for individual issues/suggestions. While I was able to get almost everyone to promotion, and a certain character very close in Gen 1(Stupid Midir), one unit stood out in hopelessness. Noish still somehow sucks. His levels ups were never above two stats, and one of them was almost always HP. He isn't reliable, and is horrible in the arena. While I can imagine his skills being broken if passed down, he just happened to be awful for me. Give him a skill boost or something.

Some minor edits to starting equipment would help express the new weapons available for classes. Cuan having an Iron Sword or Briggid having a Wing Clipper could ease player into realizing this change.

A lot of Sage bosses. I understand that Great Shield is obnoxious, but Continue can be deadly when dealing with these guys. Arvis not being an Emperor slightly disappointed me.

Odd glitches. While Tinny's map sprite being wrong when recruited is a common occurrence in the actual game, I sure as heck don't remember Hunter Faval and Dark Mage Ced. Earth Sword's max uses are 25 now, but almost always drop back down to 10 after two seconds. And what's with the unrepairable wind magic tome?

More weapons would be nice. The variety is already nice, but maybe a unique lance would help.

Pairings, if anyone cares.

AyraxArden. I figured that it would be a silly idea, as the game allows for it and Arden is, well, Arden. Kids were good, but maybe Lex would be better. Sol is great, though.

AzelxAideen. I forgot Tiltyu existed and wanted to see how it went, as Azel is better now. Lana got incredible stats, whereas Lester is offensively great, but could use more Defense. He has so much Magic and yet nothing to use it for....

RaquesisxAlec. Finn has little to offer compared to him, and I just hate Beowulf. Extremely good pairing, great stats and skills. Dark Sword is a cool skill to have.

SylviaxClaude. These kids don't care about stats, although Corpul appreciates the staves considering how he's good now.

FuryxLewyn. Holsety is really expensive now, but the pairing is still amazing.

BriggidxDew. I wanted to see if Holy Sword would help out Patty, and it sure does. I think they both maxed their stats already...

JamkexTiltyu. Umm... I screwed up with this one. I was out of options, and realized the issue of pairing Azel early. Nice skills, but Arthur's pre-promotion stats were awful. Now he can use the Defense Sword, so that helps a bit. Skills are pretty nice, so it wasn't bad at all.

One final note, are you able to give class names to the "new" classes?(Holyn/Ulster's classes, Alec's promotion, that weird Armor Mage class) The blank is a bit odd.

Edited by Shugey

I don't know if Shin's found a way around or not, but making new weapons could be tricky since if you for example gave Aideen a wind tome in her inventory when she joins when the chapter that has the shop that sells you a wind tome rolls around it would teleport out of her inventory and into the shop's stock. (I've messed around with nightmare and made Alec a wind mage and this is what happened) Now changing his iron sword directly into a wind tome did work if i remember correctly.) Also I think the earth sword's ten uses is a ASM thing since if you change the max in nightmare it will ALWAYS revert to 10 at the beginning of the next chapter and need to be repaired. Which is why I've taken to not repairing it until the next chapter starts to waste as little gold possible on that.

Making more items shouldn't be too bad, as long as I can point to them. I'll look for some space another time. On the topic of alternate weapons. Beowulf would rather use the iron axe than the silver sword against lance dudes, especially since the two are comparable in strength. I have a feeling that I've set an item slot to empty tome.

XD make it so you can get barrier and berserk without the subs and I'll love you forever XD Kidding, subs do need some incentives to be picked over the children after all, actually maybe if you figure out how to add more items make some more sub exclusive items to give you more incentive to use them. I mean you are potentially losing out on holy weapons after all when you don't pair someone. Nothing as good as the holy weapons obviously, but it could be interesting ^_^;

Edit: Just saw in the hacking resources that someone figured out how to name and add descriptions to those two sword skills! Holy Sword and Darkness Sword deserve being named in the next update in celebration wouldn't you say?

Edited by iavasechui

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! I've been very quiet lately, but work is still going on! The Shin Patch should be appearing in FEE3, and I'm planning a new release for then as well! With only the final chapter left to change, I'm getting close to completion. Some of the minor bugs are being ironed out too! With the modules produced by the lovely Lorena, the blank named classes are named once more!

Input is still welcome, even at this stage! Happy raging everyone!

I'm looking forward to the new patch, and especially to those planned changes to the final chapter. In the meantime, here's some issues I've encountered:

The three Nodion Paladins are still too fragile on the current patch; no matter how fast I go, it's impossible to kill all of the attackers before they get five or more strikes against the defenders. What generally happens is that the first Paladin to get hit twice gets ganged up on by the rest of the Lance Knights; and I've seen Eva get himself killed from counters too. It's impossible to kill everybody before they get three enemy phase's worth of attacks off, and I can't lure enough of them to my units; unequipping Sigurd and Cuan isn't an option since I need them to take down Elliot.

Also! Despite having a maximum of 30 durability, the Slim Sword is sold in shops with 50 durability so it overflows the repair count. Not a big deal, but it's a strange thing!

As for general feedback, I feel that Midir is kind of underpowered. He barely breaks 80 hit with the Longbow, and he can't get a replacement for a long time. He's stuck for the first few chapters unable to double much, not mustering up much attack, struggling in the arena, and often whiffing against enemies on terrain. Jamka starts with better base stats and a better weapon, can use the Silver Bow before promotion, and can reliably kill a generic in one round. Canto and mounted movement are nice, but they don't make up for Midir's overall weakness.

Thanks for the input. I figure that I'll have to change the weapon durability back to 50, it seems to bork stuff up too much. The Nodion Paladins will hopefully be addressed too. I'll also try to find a way to buff Midir, whether it be giving him another bow or giving him enough speed to be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the new patch, and especially to those planned changes to the final chapter. In the meantime, here's some issues I've encountered:

The three Nodion Paladins are still too fragile on the current patch; no matter how fast I go, it's impossible to kill all of the attackers before they get five or more strikes against the defenders. What generally happens is that the first Paladin to get hit twice gets ganged up on by the rest of the Lance Knights; and I've seen Eva get himself killed from counters too. It's impossible to kill everybody before they get three enemy phase's worth of attacks off, and I can't lure enough of them to my units; unequipping Sigurd and Cuan isn't an option since I need them to take down Elliot.

Also! Despite having a maximum of 30 durability, the Slim Sword is sold in shops with 50 durability so it overflows the repair count. Not a big deal, but it's a strange thing!

As for general feedback, I feel that Midir is kind of underpowered. He barely breaks 80 hit with the Longbow, and he can't get a replacement for a long time. He's stuck for the first few chapters unable to double much, not mustering up much attack, struggling in the arena, and often whiffing against enemies on terrain. Jamka starts with better base stats and a better weapon, can use the Silver Bow before promotion, and can reliably kill a generic in one round. Canto and mounted movement are nice, but they don't make up for Midir's overall weakness.

I don't think the Paladins need to be buffed any more than they are as much as other factors need to be changed. They're already quite powerful and making them any stronger might make them too hard to kill by anyone except Elliot.

Shin, I think the best solution would be to alter the starting positions of either Elliot's or Sigurd's group. In both vanilla and this patch it takes the group three turns to reach Nodion, but in vanilla two knights had juuuust enough move to it a turn early. This meant they were in the way when the rest of the group attacked, reducing the pressure on Eve (left Paladin). But reducing mounted movement prevents any of them from arriving early, enabling the whole group barring Elliot (who's usually blocked for one turn) to converge on a single Paladin if they please. Not to mention it takes an extra turn for Sigurd's group to reach the castle.

Another fix would be to give Lachesis 2-3 leadership stars to improve the Paladins' odds of dodging (although this drops the axe knights to 0 hit, but you could give them Iron Axes). You could also rearrange their items, although I think the setup is pretty good as it is. Eve (left) has a Shield Ring, which lets him comfortably take lances (bar Elliot) and axes rarely hit (their default weapon is a Steel Sword). Eva (middle) has a Speed Ring which gives him a better shot at dodging and makes him immune to axes. Alva (right) has a Power Ring but they rarely hit him. Perhaps you could give Eva an Iron Axe so he can dodge lances better and Alva a lance (for weapon triangle completion)?

So my suggestions, in order of most to least relevant:

1. Move Elliot's starting position back or shorten the distance between Nodion and Evans.

2. Give Lachesis leadership stars.

3. Shuffle equipment.

As for Midir, his main issue is that bows have bad hit rates barring Killer and there's not enough bows to go around early on. If you could re-implement Iron while keeping Long or add another bow to the early game he'd be better.

And is it possible to make Nodion turn over to your possession upon recruiting Lachesis? Because having a warp point in the middle of the map would improve the chapter overall by shortening the amount of backtracking we have to do.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into tweaking the Nodion dudes and the castle. No promises I can do the castle, but the rest is definitely manageable.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a release, but I've got some nice things to show you! I'm looking at tweaking a couple of names, things are slow but progressing!

91713c5c151ff3d4e07f4d615087eb7d.png

He is a Social Knight no more! Any suggestions for other classes would be much appreciated... although 8 letters seems to be the most that looks alright! I'm thinking along the lines of Lancer for Lance Knight.

He is a Social Knight no more! Any suggestions for other classes would be much appreciated... although 8 letters seems to be the most that looks alright! I'm thinking along the lines of Lancer for Lance Knight.

Are you trying to get rid of all the abreviations (like GreatKnt), or is it just changing some of the less original class names? Because, if it's the former, I really don't see how that would work for, say, Dragon Riders/Knights/Lords, for instance.

(Lancer sounds fine, btw. But what would be the Duke Knights, then? :P: )

Edited by Miacis

Well, it's more that the names looked a bit of an eyesore. Some of them I'll probably have to keep, but it'd be nice to at least make some of them look somewhat decent.