http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/

Visit the site to play the WIP demo.

Full release is set to be version 1.0

Features:

Online versus

Single player campaign

Offline versus

persistent world

EDIT: in case anyone is wondering what happened to this, the people who hosted the site didn't renew their domain name (vlexo.net). I can't fix this.

I still have the source code on my repository, but without a host, there is no point doing any further updates.

Edited by Sylvan

Ahh, yeah. I forgot to mention that.

The reason is uses just space, rather than the usual A,B is because the original competition this was made for allowed only the arrow keys and one other button. However, there should be no loss in functionality from not having a B button, and treat space like A

I appended "cancel" options to all the menus, and made it so that hitting space on an empty square or invalid target is the same as what would otherwise be hitting B. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

am I allowed to double post? If not I won't do this again (i'll stick to edits)

Ok!

So time to get the ball rolling:

I've updated the link to be playable. Victory condition: size the throne.

A lot of the images just don't exist, it's a little difficult to tell when it's your turn, but it's a big improvement on what it was 2 days ago =D

• 2 weeks later...

Urrrggghhh, triple post, that's bad. But this is actually a big update:

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/mmo/index.html

here is another, completely unrelated, link. It's a demo of an MMO RPG engine.

I intend to merge the two at some point down the track.

To play the mmo game, you'll need to enter a name in the top-left text box. Unfortunately, since this is just being made by me, there are probably not going to be any other players online right now. (but you can open two tabs in a browser and see how it works side-by-side). The mmo doesn't have much you can do, you click to walk and that's just about it. Clicking the lower-left rectangle does damage to whatever your targeting, but that's it. It's bare-bones at the moment.

It might be some time until I merge the two, but when I do it'll be a kind of MMO-RPG Fire Emblem game.

Well, that was interesting.

The movement and click events on the map work fine in Opera. It won't let me input a name or target to attack. Still, I can't wait to see this evolve!

I agree, this is looking pretty good.

And it works fine on Opera, for me at least. I've tried having various characters at the same time. I can't see the different sprites, I only see the on-screen char and some names moving.

And I can't attack or buy, but I guess that's the way it is for now.

Oh yeah the only images are the player. Everything else is text, because it takes too long for me to make and code sprites XD

I will add the proper sprites in a while, but the code needs more polishing (and content) before I get to images =/

Attacking should work (but there is no animation, you just have to look at the health bars), you have to click on who you want to attack. If there isn't a red border around them, you won't hurt them. The shop just changes the image in the bottom-right of the screen, nothing else.

It's taking me a lot longer than I thought to get this going, because I keep running into weird problems. Most of the changes I've done have been behind-the-scenes, so things like improved bandwidth, better synchronisation between players and reducing lag.

At this stage, it seems like the MMO will be a regular (but dummed down) MMORPG, whereby to unlock things (weapons, etc) you'll need to complete FE missions. FE missions will effectively be quests. I may add online Fire Emblem matchmaking, but the changes for that are non-trivial, so that will be the last thing I do.

The next few updates I'll probably be looking at saving (right now your character resets every time you open the game), this is nearly ready now, but I just have to work out how to include it properly.

I've never actually tested this out in Opera, only chrome, safari, fire fox and internet explorer. It works (barely) on the iPhone, but it's horribly laggy. I'm sure the fire emblem game would also work on the iPhone, but there is no keyboard, so you can't use it just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

main page: http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/

blargh. Double post again =/

Anyway:

I've made a basic map editor for the game.

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/builder.html

I still need to get a lot of character sprites to make the classes work, so right now there is only class (lord). Even then it doesn't quite work.

But yeah, how it works:

Enter the size and you'll get a grid that big. WARNING: KEEP THE NUMBERS SMALL. The game (and the builder) lags horribly if you use anything bigger than around size 20.

There are 4 options for the editor: tiles, terrain, characters and special.

Tiles

Simply choose from the options at the top and click to place it on the map. This determines what the map looks like

Terrain

This is for setting the movement costs of terrain. 1 cost is the default, but there is no maximum.

Enter a number in the box at the top and click to adjust the values.

Characters

This sets where characters (both yours and the opponents) start.

The important thing here is the "player" checkbox. Selecting it will mean your placing player units, deselecting it will mean your placing enemy units.

Special

This is for setting up special tiles.

A special tile is something other than terrain. For example, a fort heals, so giving forts a value of "2" will mean if a unit is on that tile, they will heal. A tile with value "1" is the seize point for the map.

Some things to note:

Enemies should have 1 range weapons. Their AI is not yet programmed to use different range weapons.

To make a boss stay on the seize point, give it a movement range of 1

Once all this is done, to actually play the map I suggest downloading the page here:

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/template.html

To download it, either right click "save as" on the link, or just visit the link then save it.

Once you have saved the page open the html file in a text editor (for example, notepad)

get the code from the map editor's text box, and paste it below the "////////////" in the file.

Anywhere between /* PUT MAP DATA HERE */ and /* END MAP DATA */is fine.

Open the file in any web browser and it should work!

Edited by Sylvan

Multiple seize points? Is that intentional?

It wasn't unintentional? I didn't really see a need to enforce only 1 seize point, it could be fun having multiple of them =D

Anyway, I overhauled the map editor. You can now save maps properly (as in online)

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/#tabs-5

Edited by Sylvan

• 2 weeks later...

I'll put the URL the thing spat out at me in a code box:

[spoiler=Long URL is Long]

full_url='http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem';special=[[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]];texture=[[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/396.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem/bgtiles/12.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem/bgtiles/a10.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/396.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/562.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/612.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/a564.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/a614.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem/bgtiles/38.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/564.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/614.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png'],[full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem/bgtiles/38.png',full_url+'http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/stales2/Fire%20Emblem/bgtiles/38.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png',full_url+'/bgtiles/252.png']];terrain=[[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]];unit_map=[[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]];

Certain tiles didn't load correctly (my peaks are blank, and one of the little off-color grass patches wouldn't work). Still, it's fun to play with!

• 2 weeks later...

That's a big bug o.0;;

I think I fixed the tile things, that was an obvious problem. I'm not entirely sure what caused things to go wrong, you shouldn't have even seen that url, it's only really there for my debugging. (It should have said something like "saving...", then gone to a different page)

Either way, I *think* I've fixed it, but the editor isn't very robust, entering something that doesn't really make sense might cause the thing to die randomly.

I was sure I wrote up some instructions somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find them, so I wrote some new ones.

If you use it again, make sure to refresh your browser, otherwise you probably get an old version of the page.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Online battle working demo!

I also updated the first post.

I posted before "I intend to merge the two at some point down the track." Well, it's now "down the track", and I've started working on the MMO aspect of this game. This hasn't been tested very much, and is only a demo, but none the less, it allows you to play against a human opponent in pretty much the same way Shadow Dragon does.

Edited by Sylvan

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite slow (I did this on purpose, but will be changing it later) so it might take 20-30 seconds to pick up the other person once they come online. So if your opening two tabs in a browser, you'll have to give it some time before it works.

Now for something completely different:

2011-03-03_150043.png

It took me FOREVER to get all that Lapis/Wool. But there it is! Roy! Roy! Roy!

Edited by Sylvan

• 2 weeks later...

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/femmo/main.html

New link, for the new version.

Lots of new stuff. Off the top of my head: persistent accounts, a lobby that has a chat and multiplayer, much improved latency from the previous versions.

I'm not at what I would call "version 1" just yet. Still far from it. But things are looking in good shape. (despite there still being a lot of bugs)

EDIT: this will probably be the last update for quite some time, I won't really be working on this until May-ish.

Edited by Sylvan

• 6 months later...

I dunno who I was playing, but either the AI is really derpy, or that player was terribad. Probably more the former than the latter.

No fort healing, huh?

Interesting, though.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

It was most likely the AI. And yes, it's really bad.

Literally, the Ai just does one of two things:

If a unit is in range attack it, otherwise move randomly.

Fort healing I can add very easily. I just haven't been bothered just yet. I've still got a lot of things to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's the next "version" of the game. It's very nearly out of "demo" status. I still need to add a comprehensive single player mode, among other things. But here we go:

http://zoidscore.vlexo.net/femmo/demo/menu.html

Welcome to Fire Emblem World Cup!

A MMO (or rather, will be) world-wide Multiplayer Fire Emblem game!

Right now there is an active leader board, winning battles will earn you a place amongst the best in the world.

Controls are: arrow keys, "a" and "z" (which is the B button)

Thanks for the arrow key and A/B button explanation. Seems I was doing that wrong.

However, pretty sure this wasn't supposed to happen (Opera 11.51, I'll update to 52 when I remember to do so):

WyF7z.jpg