Unknown, Interesting, Stupid, and Funny Facts About FE9

Kinata

Oliver (outside of Maniac mode) cannot damage Reyson, despite that scene at the end of ch. 16. BK cannot OHKO untransformed Ena, despite that scene at the beginning of ch. 27-2.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ena's base stats upon joining are lower than the stats she had as a boss in Chapter 21. This also happens in RD, where her stats in 4-E-1 are lower than the stats she had in 3-E/4-1.

Ashnard won't attack on turn 1 in Endgame on Normal Mode.

Aside from Naesala, the only laguz that can cap Speed is Ena, by getting speed in all of her levels and then getting the 3 Speedwings.

Aside from Naesala, the only laguz that can cap Speed is Ena, by getting speed in all of her levels and then getting the 3 Speedwings.

you forgot Reyson.

and if Leanne was in the game, her caps would make her able to cap speed too.

Like I mentioned a while ago, Sigrun seems to have the sprite of the Princess Crimea class. If the little Ike seen in the flashback after ch. 7 is a male child, which I'm pretty sure he is since there doesn't seem to be any other male children, then Ike had higher HP and magic caps as a little kid than as a Ranger. Male civilians seem to be able to smite Ranulf while females can only shove him. Speaking of which, I've actually been wondering about the child/civilian classes.

For starters, what class are the old men in ch. 2 and 11? Their animations are much different than the male civilians. Also, I've heard that the female bishop class is used as a dummy class for Elincia, Sanaki, Gareth (LOL), and Kurthnaga. But what does "dummy class" mean? It seems to me that, bases on their in-game sprites, Sanaki is probably the female child, Gareth is a red dragon, and Kurthnaga is a black dragon.

Oliver (outside of Maniac mode) cannot damage Reyson, despite that scene at the end of ch. 16. BK cannot OHKO untransformed Ena, despite that scene at the beginning of ch. 27-2.

Ranulf cannot double the Black Knight (he gets doubled), despite the Chapter 11 scene where they fight.

Ashnard only uses the medallion if your playing on hard mode, I guess he's not smart enough to use it on the other modes.

Stefan is interested in beast laguz, yet he only supports with one of them. Zihark is also interested in laguz, yet both the ones that talk to him to recruit him don't support him.

Ilyana supports with every Myrmidon/swordmaster but Stefan.

Reyson and Janaff don't have any support conversations with laguz.

For starters, what class are the old men in ch. 2 and 11? Their animations are much different than the male civilians. Also, I've heard that the female bishop class is used as a dummy class for Elincia, Sanaki, Gareth (LOL), and Kurthnaga. But what does "dummy class" mean? It seems to me that, bases on their in-game sprites, Sanaki is probably the female child, Gareth is a red dragon, and Kurthnaga is a black dragon.

Class and map model are independent of each other. That's why Kurthnaga can be a female Bishop or Black Dragon, but still retain his unique map model. There are a few map models that aren't used, such as ones for Caineghis and Deghinsea.

I can't remember what the deal with Sigrun was. I do know that she doesn't have any animations when using lances, probably since she uses the Princess Crimea models. I think child Ike is still a Ranger, although it's been a long time since I messed around with FE9.

In the Japanese version, there are only two characters who can use the Vigilance scroll, but only one (Ulki) in the English version. Not that it really matters since you can't get the scroll without hacking. I'll leave people to guess who the second character was...

Edited by VincentASM

I'm guessing it isn't the obvious choice (Janaff), so... Reyson?

Except for in Manic Mode, you get mostly unpromoted enemies up to chapter 25. From chapter 26 onwards, you suddenly get all promoted enemies. In Manic Mode, promoted enemies become standard and almost all you fight from chapter 18.

Edited by I Eat Tables

So do old men and regular men have the same class? And when do we encounter male/female children?

Oddly, there are two unpromoted knights in ch. 27. And of course, there are the three thieves. (what does this game have against assassins anyway?)

In the Japanese version, there are only two characters who can use the Vigilance scroll, but only one (Ulki) in the English version. Not that it really matters since you can't get the scroll without hacking. I'll leave people to guess who the second character was...

Janaff, though there's a dark-feathered bird that's probably it.

Boyd can support with 3 water affinity units (Mist, Brom, Ulki) and 1 light affinity (Titania), which means they will all increase their defenses. They will also either increase Attack or Hit, the 2 numbers Fire affinity enhances.

Makalov only supports characters of the Wind Affinity.

Like in the GBA games, the dark affinity units Soren and Calill, and the new Heaven units Lethe, Elincia and Stefan cannot support with others of the same affinity.

-Mordecai supports not one, but two units of the water affinity(Mist and Ulki)and he himself is water.

-Volke only supports one unit(Bastian), who is of the same affinity as himself(wind).

-Oscar has earth affinity and supports two units with the same affinity as him(Ike and Tanith).

-Both of Soren's supports are either earth(Ike)or heaven(Stefan).

So do old men and regular men have the same class? And when do we encounter male/female children?

The old man who appears at the beginning of Chapter 3 is just a male Citizen, so yes.

Before Rolf is recruited, he's a Child. There are also male/female Citizens/Children in the cutscene of Chapter 11, where Ranulf gets knocked a bit.

Janaff and Reyson are good guesses, but I'm afraid it's neither of them. Here are a few more clues, since it is pretty tough to guess:

1) It's not a Laguz

2) You can't recruit this character

3) This pretty much gives it away(?)

Clue number 1 is sort of a lie

Anyway, something that baffled me a little. Apparently, there are two Daein Generals with the Lethality skill during the opening cutscene of Chapter 27 (I haven't checked to see if they actually appear, but it doesn't really matter since you can't do anything during cutscenes).

Yeah, Sephiran is right. I'm really puzzled while he's listed as a user of the Vigilance scroll, since both the scroll and he can't be used in the normal game.

On the subject of weird unused scrolls, Herons can learn only learn Canto when they're transformed, which is impossible normally (but since you need to hack to get the scroll, I'm guessing this point doesn't matter).

Edited by VincentASM

Yeah, Sephiran is right. I'm really puzzled while he's listed as a user of the Vigilance scroll, since both the scroll and he can't be used in the normal game.

On the subject of weird unused scrolls, Herons can learn only learn Canto when they're transformed, which is impossible normally (but since you need to hack to get the scroll, I'm guessing this point doesn't matter).

In theory, if they were carrying a Demi Band (which is in itself impossible), they would be transformed in base, so you might be able to teach them under those circumstances.

Are there limitations on what characters can learn Canto?

Are there limitations on what characters can learn Canto?

It's class dependent, you just need to be a transformed royal Heron (male or female). Regular Herons (unused), transformed or not, can't learn it, but they can learn Blessing.

Sort of related, Mantle is locked to Sephiran, although I'm not sure what that means, since no scroll teaches Mantle. Maybe there's some special message if you attempt to manage his skill set in the base?

There are four generals in that opening cut scene in ch. 27. Two are by the BK, and two are further away, so it is probably one of those pairs.

If you beat BK and no other enemies are alive at the end of 27-2, two special halberdiers who are red instead of black appear. Are they Begnion halberdiers?

In chapter 2, either after a few turns or after some event (I'm not sure) you can see Shinon and Gatrie far off to the right of the map. And after the battle is over, you can see Shinon once again far off to the right, where he some how shoots down an enemy from like 10 spaces away.

Also in chapter 2, the boss stands on a rock square during the cutscene, which he can't normally stand on. I think the programmers were thinking of the ability of a bandit to stand on cliffs.

If Vincent is right, Rolf has a higher HP and magic cap as a child than as an archer.

Edited by Kinata

The three staves:"Berserk", "Unlock" and "Warp" are included in the coding but are unused

There are two valkyries in the game: A promoted Mist and the Chapter 24 generic

The "Urvan", "Bright bow(Magic Bow)" "Rexcalibur" , and "Rexflame" Are also in the coding but are unused

Edited by The Leech

Homasa doesn't have a special boss conversation with Naesala, so even if one manipulated them into fighting each other, they would act like they never met.

I highly doubt that the goddess' blessing gives immunity to stones, so, in theory, one could get Ashnard killed in trial map 1. Also, I'm not sure what happens if counter activates against BK or Ashnard, but if it is capable of damaging them, imagine all of problems that would cause.