are ribbons pointless?

geozeldadude

i've been playing pokemon ruby for the first time and finally got my first ribbon, and now i'm just wondering what the point of it is. do you get anything to help you in the game by getting ribbons? winning seems like such a matter of luck that if there isn't any incentive other than bragging rights i don't think i'm going to bother getting anymore.

Ribbons are pretty pointless, they are only a proof that you won the contest (if those are the ribbons you're referring to). Other than that they don't grant you anything. The only thing you may get, but it's only aestheticaly, is an upgrade to your trainer card color if you manage to get all 5 paintings in Lilycove's Museum.

Ribbons are pretty pointless, they are only a proof that you won the contest (if those are the ribbons you're referring to). Other than that they don't grant you anything. The only thing you may get, but it's only aestheticaly, is an upgrade to your trainer card color if you manage to get all 5 paintings in Lilycove's Museum.

oh, i didn't know you get a painting if you win all the contests for one type. that's good to know, although definitely not an incentive for me to spend the time getting them.

The problem is that you don't get a painting automaticaly if you win. You need to get a very, very good result on top of winning and crushing your opponents. I managed to get them all with one single pokémon (a koffing) but it's really not worth it, imo.

The problem is that you don't get a painting automaticaly if you win. You need to get a very, very good result on top of winning and crushing your opponents. I managed to get them all with one single pokémon (a koffing) but it's really not worth it, imo.

What the heck?

I used different Pokemon for each category. :/

It's not really worth it. (Unless you're going for the five stars on your trainer card.)

But they look pretty if you migrate the pokemon with the ribbons over to D/P/P. :awesome:

What the heck?

I can't remind what was its nature (probably neutral) but this set won me at least 3 paintings:

~Sunny Day

~Flamethrower

~Destiny Bond

~Explosion

A combination of Destiny Bond in the 4th turn and Explosion in the last nets you at least 20 appeal points, usually enough to beat the competition. The other turns were a mix of Sunny Day + Flamethrower. I remember one painting using diferent moves but I don't remember which one or which moves I used.

EDIT: Besides, it's hilarious having a Koffing winning the Beauty and Cute contests XD

Edited by Magna