Newb needs help

I am in Ch 8 - Port Warren

And I am using a GameFaqs guide to help me out, which only made me get more confused in the game lol.

WHat is this reclass stuff all about, let me give you a list of who I got in my squad (those that did not die) and their lvls and special weapons (if they have so)

Marth - lvl 5 (Rapier)

Jagen (pre-promoted) - lvl 5 - Armorslayer, Silver Lance

Merric - lvl 4 - Excalibur (BADASS)

Wendell (pre promoted) - lvl 1 - Thunder and Barrier

Frey - lvl 7 - Steel lance

Abel - lvl 9

Caeda - lvl 6 - Wing Spear

Ogma - lvl 8 - Killing Edge

Barst - lvl 6

Castor - lvl 6

Lema - lvl 10 - Physic, Warp, Heal, Mend

Wolf - lvl 3 -

Sedgar - lvl 2

Hardin - lvl 7

Bantu - WTF really - DONT USE

Rickard - lvl 1 - DONT USE (only if maps has chest and etc)

Roshea - lvl 3 - DONT USE

Wrys - lvl 2 - DONT USE

Unil - lvl 4 - DONT USE

Matthis - lvl 2 - DONT USE

Ok so there is my squad and those that I do NOT use.

So this reclass stuff, I heard that it is only good if your character is lvl 20+ if yes or if no..don't matter...who should I reclass (lvl 20 or now)?

and the promotion stuff what lvl would it be better to promote my guys (I got like 5 Master Seals on convoy)

Thank you for all the help guys

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kill off anyone you aren't using. People from GameFAQS aren't reliable sources for these kinds of games, as they revolve around Personal Experience.

Reclass is used to level different weapons(ex. Ogma reclasses to fighter, gains axe rank. When reswapped and reclasses to hero, he has some axe rank built up.) I find it useful for abusing growths(ex. fighters have a high strength gain.)

You can go to this site's section on Shadow Dragon to look into the game's mechanics if you want to.

Prepromoted units should generally be avoided, except for a few good ones. Don't try training everyone, only train ~15 units. Arenas(like the one in this chapter) are good for training up units, but be warned. You will forever be considered a noob if you need to arena abuse to beat the game, as normal of this game is child's play.

Promotion gives your units a new class and genrally makes them stronger. Some people wait until level 20 to promote, to fully use the potential of each character.

Don't use any pre promoted besides wolf and Sedgar. They may have crap base stats bu turn into pwn machines. A list of people I use is Marth, Ceada, Frey, Able, wolf and or Sedgar, Merric or linde, ( you should use merric since your a newb), barst, ogma, and a couple others I can't remember currently. Class change is good for multiple things. As Yuri-Chan said it's good to get weapon Lv ups for future use. And different growth rates also are a plus from changing class. For example, if I took Ceada/ Shiida and changed her from a Pegasus knight and changed her to archer, her growth rates would change. If you want to find a list of class groth rates go to the home page, look on the left side of your computer screen, find shadow dragon and click on it, then at the bottom right look for the class section. Under the class section you should see introduction and other multiple things. Click on the growth rates under the class section to pull up the list.

If you can't find it tell me. I hope I answered all your Questions. :)

Here are some of my tips:

-If you want to get into Gaiden maps, you will need to have 15 or less units alive in your total unit selection. I personally think this is a retarded requirement, and most of the units you get out of these chapters are NOT worth KOing 70% of the cast. C24X is the only exception; to get there, a certain unit must have been KO'd prior to that chapter and you must have NOT have gotten a certain Prf weapon in C23. There is a loophole around both, which involves the Aum staff(which only a certain cleric that joins in C24 can use) and giving said weapon to the unit you need KO'd(items on KO'd units get transferred to the supply at the beginning of the next chapter.)

-Using pre-promoted units in this game has less payoff than in other games. The prepromotes in this game all have crap bases for their level, and a decent chunk have absolutely atrocious growth rates(actually, some of them, like Jagen, Boah(and Bantu) are contenders for the worst overall units in the series). Wolf and Zagaro are still really good to use thanks to their INSANE growth rates.

-On a similar note; none of the innate bow users are that impressive. Gaggles has pitiful growths and Thomas fares little better. Castor, Wolf, and Zag have better things to do than be hunters/horsemen(all three would prefer to be armors/generals). A good bow user would be Abel or Ogma reclassed to archer and hunter, respectively.

-Abuse the reclass system. You can use it to build up a different weapon rank(ex: reclassing an armor to a hunter to build up bow rank), or getting better growth rates(Fighter adds +40 to str growth and AK adds +30 to Def.) PEMN, but I managed to get an AWESOME Draug by reclassing him to a fighter/zerker for more str after he capped his def as a knight/general.

-Just like with any game, don't promote your units until Lv20. There are a few instances where early promotion is helpful(Caeda should promote the instant she caps spd, just to obtain the +4Str/+5Def that Wyvern Knight gives out.)

-Avoid rates suck in this game. And don't blame your units, blame the game's retarded (AS+(Lck/2)) avoid formula. High defense units are more preferred for that reason(I actually laughed when the C20 Paladins tinked my 15/10 Draug(who had 30Def) and these guys had silver weapons).

-Don't waste your time with arenas unless you need the money or experience. I actually made the game too easy by putting Navarre in the C11 arena until he was 20/20.

Here is my list of recommendable units:

Marth

Cain

Abel

Frey(if playing NM)

Draug

Caeda

Ogma

Barst

Navarre

Lena

Julian

Merric

Hardin

Wolf

Sedgar

Dolph

Palla

Catria

Tiki

Xane

Here is a list of units you should bench and not take a second glance:

Jagen

Gaggles

Matthis

Vyland

Roshea

Bantu

Jeorge

Boah

Midia

Astram

Samson

Arran

Lorenz

Edited by DA125

@Da125

Thank you, that was really helpful, I am only at ch.8 so therefore not many of the characters you said I know yet.

and could you please explain to my the C23-24 stuff..I don't mind you spoiling the story for me - since I always find the plot in these games weak, I just like em because of the strategy

and if I reclass Ogma who will be my swordsman? Do I reclass someone or just use those 2 Horseman that can use Swords and Bows?

thank you

@Da125

Thank you, that was really helpful, I am only at ch.8 so therefore not many of the characters you said I know yet.

and could you please explain to my the C23-24 stuff..I don't mind you spoiling the story for me - since I always

find the plot in these games weak, I just like em because of the strategy

and if I reclass Ogma who will be my swordsman? Do I reclass someone or just use those 2 Horseman that can use Swords and Bows?

thank you

Could you clarify what you mean. And was I very helpful?

Could you clarify what you mean. And was I very helpful?

All of you guys were helpful, it is just a habit to always credit the last person.

What I mean is that he said on C24x there is a special warrior that I can get, but I can't have a perfect weapon on the chapter before, I just need for someone to clear that up for me (you can be very clear if you like lol)

And right there, I mean if I changed Ogma into a a hunter, then who should I reclass into a sword based type? (I have no Navarre)

Thank you and sorry for confusion

Your "sword based type" should be a cavalier, aka Cain or Abel, since they can wield Lances as well. Ogma should go to fighter for strength and axe rank.

Basically, what you should do is give Tiki the Falchion in C24, take her Dragonstone and send her to die. Get Aum, and in C24x Falchion will be in your inventory. Elice uses Aum on Tiki, problem solved, Medeus dies.

Don't use any pre promoted besides wolf and Sedgar. They may have crap base stats bu turn into pwn machines. A list of people I use is Marth, Ceada, Frey, Able, wolf and or Sedgar, Merric or linde, ( you should use merric since your a newb), barst, ogma, and a couple others I can't remember currently. Class change is good for multiple things. As Yuri-Chan said it's good to get weapon Lv ups for future use. And different growth rates also are a plus from changing class. For example, if I took Ceada/ Shiida and changed her from a Pegasus knight and changed her to archer, her growth rates would change. If you want to find a list of class groth rates go to the home page, look on the left side of your computer screen, find shadow dragon and click on it, then at the bottom right look for the class section. Under the class section you should see introduction and other multiple things. Click on the growth rates under the class section to pull up the list.

If you can't find it tell me. I hope I answered all your Questions. :)

Bold: Endgame prepromotes and Midia have potential too.

Another hint: NEVER EVER EVER unless youre trying a special playthrough, reclass physical units into mages or vice versa. Their stats will be wonky and unreliable.

Shiida into Mage would like to have a word with you. Also, Merric to Cav helps him gain Def so he can survive.

As for a good team (On NM), here's what's good IMO:

Marth

Abel

Cain

Frey

Shiida

Ogma

Barst

Julian

LENA

Merric

Hardin

Wolf/Sedgar (You only need one)

Minerva

Tiki

Nagi (for Medues)

Everyone else is unnecessary, though you may want to keep Boah around for Warp usage, and Xane for copycat antics.

Edited by JB25

IMO heres a good list:

Marth (only because forced)

Cain

Abel

Frey

Norne if you dont mind killing Gordin and Jagen

Caeda

Ogma

Barst

Cord

Julian

Lena

Hardin

Wolf

Sedgar

Midia

Dolph

Palla

Catria

Minerva

Gotoh

Linde

Merric

Take your picks.

Thank you guys, I am only at ch.8 so many of the characters I did not come accross yet, but I will surely keep your tips in mind.

But for Gaiden chapters, some people tell me that those are good for a 2nd playthrough when you know more about the game, and that the 1st playthrough should be on your own flow, you do what you gotta do to win kinda of thing.

I love FE because of this, there is no right way to beat this game, there is many good ways

and I can go thru the whole game without reclassing right? or at least wait until they are like lvl 20 (because everyone I got is like lvl5-8, only one is lvl 10)

btw is there a Translation patch for the latest Fire Emblem that just came out in Japan?

Edited by Rody

Spoiler alert,

Spoiler alert,

Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!

There is a spoiler in this post!!!!!!

All of you guys were helpful, it is just a habit to always credit the last person.

What I mean is that he said on C24x there is a special warrior that I can get, but I can't have a perfect weapon on the chapter before, I just need for someone to clear that up for me (you can be very clear if you like lol)

And right there, I mean if I changed Ogma into a a hunter, then who should I reclass into a sword based type? (I have no Navarre)

Thank you and sorry for confusion

Alright, do you want to know how to go to the last gaiden?

It's kinda a spoiler but here you go.

You have to kill Tiki and not have Falchion. But here's the cheat.

Recruit tiki with Bantu, then get Falchion. After that, on level 24 give Falchion to tiki, take away her divine stone and let her die. Now get the Aum staff and finish the level, you will go to 24x and then, use the aum staff to revive Tiki and you should have Falchion in the convoy. Congrats. Now you have both Falchion, tiki and one more secret character. ;)

Edited by Silent_Assasin

Hmmmmm. . .

- Learn how to reclass. Love it. Abuse it. Some units do a HELL of a lot better when reclassed to something else. The sooner you understand it, the better.

- If you insist on a bow unit, you can either reclass Roshea NOW, or you can wait six chapters for someone else who you can reclass to Archer (hint: green hair). The green-haired reclassed Archer will have much better growths. Roshea should have more bow rank by that time. Everyone else has better things to do with their growths. Your call.

- If you want a sword unit, Cain reclassed to Myrmidon does very well. Both new recruits on Chapter 8 will also work.

- My idea for a good team involves some units that are a little tricky to level up, and my notation probably won't make sense, but. . .

Skittles without Lime (but for the love of everything, don't make Caesar a Dark Mage unless you want to rip your hair out)

Lemmings minus the two natural Archers (Gaggles might be useful, and I think you'll find Tomas to be a little too frustrating to level)

Cain/Frey

Caeda, maybe (if she's not gaining Strength, it could be a problem)

Barst

Julian

I am reading in other parts that Caeda (Shiida) is good in her own class then you can promote her to Draconknight (since it is better than Falconknight - if that is what you call that class)

and the lvl 8 Myrmidon I heard that they are crap lol

and Ogma would go to figther so he could up his ax, but I already have Barts which is a pretty good fighter, but also when both of the are in the field they get a bonus right.

and Wolf (or Sedgar dont recall now) to hero is a good one too, since it is all PLUS that he gets for that reclass and I still would have Sedgar( or Wolf dont recall lol) as my horseman (sword/archer)

or do I just wait for like 2-3 chapters to get more characters?

Edited by Rody

I am reading in other parts that Caeda (Shiida) is good in her own class then you can promote her to Draconknight (since it is better than Falconknight - if that is what you call that class)

Sounds about right.

and the lvl 8 Myrmidon I heard that they are crap lol

They start underleveled, but they'll turn out just fine. The hard part is finding the patience to level them.

or do I just wait for like 2-3 chapters to get more characters?

Your play style, your call.

From what I've heard on both SF and GFAQ's, Dragon Knight>Falcon Knight. There really is no point making Caeda(or Palla/Catria/Est) a Falcon Knight since FK has literally nothing over DK(FK has like +2 spd cap over DK, but DK has +4str/+5def promo bonuses as well as 26/30 caps in str/def, respectively.) Also, Falcon Knight promotion requires an Elysian whip, which isn't obtainable in-game(you need the Wi-Fi shop to get a whip). There's also the fact that Caeda has mediocre strength and crap defense(and the DK bonuses remedy those faults somewhat).

Ok then to finish my questions (hopefully) who should I reclass from my current squad?

Ogma? to a figther (after he gets enough speed from merc. and then reclass so he can gain AXE) then I can reclass him back to Merc.?

Wolf/Sedgar?

and to eclipse, you said if I need a bow unit, which makes me think that the BOW characters that I got are crap, can't I just use either Wolf or Sedgar (the one that won't be reclassed) as my BOW unit since they are really good and ALREADY can use the bow plus a sword?

thx

NM = NORMAL MODE?

and how do I know when a stat is MAXED in a character?

thnx again

Edited by Rody

I would leave Ogma as a mercenary if you are using Barst. You can reclass him to fighter if he is struggling in the strength department. Once he promotes, he will become a Hero, a unit that can wield both Axes and swords.

Wolf and Sedgar make excellent generals, they can also reclass to Hero after gaining some bulk from being a general.

For a bow unit, if you have trained him at all so far, Cord makes an excellent hunter. If not, you can always use Wolf/Sedgar, they are good at anything that isn't a Sorcerer.

NM does in fact means normal mode.

And when a stat is capped, it will flash green. HP caps at 60.

Ok then to finish my questions (hopefully) who should I reclass from my current squad?

Abel doesn't care, as long as it's not Mage/Curate. Ditto with Frey.

Jagen's not going to be particularly useful. Caeda's happiest where she is right now. Ditto with Merric and Wendell. Barst does well as long as he's a physical class. Castor is trickier. . .you'll need to reclass him to match what stats he needs (Pirate/Fighter for Strength, Mercenary for Skill and Speed). Wolf and Sedgar do well in any physical class. Lena can rotate between Curate and Mage (the latter for Magic). Keep Hardin as a Cavalier, and reclass to Dracoknight when you promote him. I'd reclass Roshea to Archer, but that's my personal preference. . .if you absolutely NEED an Archer, and you don't mind missing every now and then, Matthis will work (I don't like him as much because of his lower Skill).

If you decide to keep the Port Warren guys, Caesar can do whatever Ogma's not doing, and Radd to Cavalier (you might need to feed him a Speedwings).

Ogma? to a figther (after he gets enough speed from merc. and then reclass so he can gain AXE) then I can reclass him back to Merc.?

Reclass him between Pirate/Fighter and Mercenary, depending on what you need on a map. Ogma is happy with both growths.

Wolf/Sedgar?

Wolf gets better Strength and Luck growth, while Sedgar gets better Skill and Defense growth. Figure out which set of stats you like better.

and to eclipse, you said if I need a bow unit, which makes me think that the BOW characters that I got are crap, can't I just use either Wolf or Sedgar (the one that won't be reclassed) as my BOW unit since they are really good and ALREADY can use the bow plus a sword?

Archers/Snipers are the only ones that can use the Longbow, which allows for damage from 3 squares away, with no counter whatsoever (the last Longbow enemies you'll see are on Chapter 14, IIRC). Snipers also get decent movement through rougher terrain, and don't have to worry about Ridersbane.

NM = NORMAL MODE?

Bingo!

and how do I know when a stat is MAXED in a character?

It will blink yellow/greenish.

So I reckon I will keep Ogma until he can be promoted to Hero, because until this date he is clutch in my team.

I will bench Jagen and use Hardin in his place and when Hardin goes to Drackonight, Abel will be a paladin (so will Frey)

Wolf and Sedgar, I will have to decide which to keep as a horseman - and the other a GENERAL

but in CH8, I get a Knight - Roger I believe if I talk to him and is he a good Knight because if so I can just use him as my future General, and then just revert their class back to Horseman or Hero or whatever

But I still plan on keeping one of them as a Horseman because it gives me mobility and they still pretty strong

Lena is my healer so I can't reclass her YET, until I get a new healer. (Maria on CH 10 would be my replacement for when Lena is reclassed) , and then make her a Bishop

Radd I might keep him as Myrmidon and give Ogma's Killing Edge to him, so he can deliver Critical Strikes to BOSSES and such.

Castor is a HUNTER, so if I promote him he will be come a Horseman, something I don't need - since I will have either Sedgar or Wolf

Jeorge is a SNIPER, he is PRE-promoted so I guess he sucks? if so then I will look to Tomas at ch 12, so he can be promoted to sniper later.

So is this train of thought I am having, is it good?

I know FE has no right or wrong, but I still would love input

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH for being patient with me

So I reckon I will keep Ogma until he can be promoted to Hero, because until this date he is clutch in my team.

If he's cooperating for you, awesome!

I will bench Jagen and use Hardin in his place and when Hardin goes to Drackonight, Abel will be a paladin (so will Frey)

Sure, why not?

Wolf and Sedgar, I will have to decide which to keep as a horseman - and the other a GENERAL

You shouldn't need too much Defense this time 'round. I'd suggest making the other a Hero.

but in CH8, I get a Knight - Roger I believe if I talk to him and is he a good Knight because if so I can just use him as my future General, and then just revert their class back to Horseman or Hero or whatever

I prefer Roger as anything that's not a Knight/Dark Mage.

Lena is my healer so I can't reclass her YET, until I get a new healer. (Maria on CH 10 would be my replacement for when Lena is reclassed) , and then make her a Bishop

You can probably get away with fort healing for Chapters 9 and 11. You'll need Lena's healing on Chapters 10 and 12.

Radd I might keep him as Myrmidon and give Ogma's Killing Edge to him, so he can deliver Critical Strikes to BOSSES and such.

Radd can't wield Killing Edge just yet. . .

Castor is a HUNTER, so if I promote him he will be come a Horseman, something I don't need - since I will have either Sedgar or Wolf

Castor is THE unit to experiment with reclassing. Go nuts!

Jeorge is a SNIPER, he is PRE-promoted so I guess he sucks? if so then I will look to Tomas at ch 12, so he can be promoted to sniper later.

Jeorge is hopeless, and Tomas just slightly less so. Seriously, reclass Roshea to Archer, or wait until a certain green-haired unit on Chapter 14 is recruited.

So is this train of thought I am having, is it good?

Archers aside, I have no problems with it.

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH for being patient with me

Hey, no problem~!

dude you can tell me their names lol..Ch 14 is Palla right?

so I get her and reclass her straight away into an archer and once she hits lvl 20 - Sniper?

and with her being archer and her sisters as Peg. Knights..triangle attacks becomes futile?

So for CH 8, I will go with

Wolf as a general, (since he gets STR and LCK)

Sedgar as HERO (SKILL and DEF)

Roshea as Archer

and CASTOR as w/e I want lol

Because I have not had any problems with my CURRENT lineup, so I don't want to make many changes at once.

and Horace I heard he is good, but requires Gaiden chapters, which I don't plan on doing on 1st playthru

So the main thing from Class Swap is that I can always BRING over the stuff I gain from 1 class to the other..so I could have a healer with thunder in its arsenal?

Edited by Rody

No. After C16 (since C15 is desert) reclass Palla to Archer ASAP, regardless of whatever level she is.

Roger is kinda crap in NM because you have much better units, plus Shiida would rather fly across the river to spike the boss. Just kill him.

Roshea is like Roger; he's average on NM, as compared to the 3 prologue cavs who kick much more ass.

Castor as Merc/Hunter should be fine.

Horace is good, but not great, plus you need to kill off a lot of people (which isn't too bad, but w/e)

You can only have a healer with Thunder if that healer is a Sage or a Bishop, since normal Curates/Clerics have no Tome rank.