Aspiring Amateur

Sovereign

I'm just gonna copy and paste my topic from FEU, but we're kinda getting quiet over there :l

Feb 27, 2010

Well, I've read that practice makes perfect, and it's a good choice to start off splicing before you start getting into making custom sprites?

So I have decided to do just that, and I want to be critiqued hard on what needs to be corrected so that I can learn and hopefully get better.

Edward:

edwardab.png

I did shade at the neck, most of the neck was made by me, so that should have flaws. As well as the inside of the armour at the right of his neck, cuz I was very lazy.

Roland:

roland.png

1st Custom Attempt:

laharlv01.png

Hopefully you can tell what this is. If not, then just quote my post ^_^

And I have school to worry about, so I won't work on portaits 24/7. I probably will hardly be able to work during the weekend.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll prosper!

Everything else that isn't so recent

haseo.gif

moogle.png

konb.png

pichuhead.png

Just the past couple days :D

zelgiusattempt2.png

seiferattempt1.png

alexfailstill.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from looking quickly through your sprites, I see uneven shading, it's when your shading is a tad all over the place, like in the neck area.

As a rule of thumb, whenever trim touches armor, have it use a border color, unless it has crazy ass designs.

Roland needs a bit of work on his jaw, it's a bit messy.

Also, my advice to you is to not start full customing yet, until you get a grasp on shading, it won't help you gain anything, tiny customs on mugs are good to do, once you learn how to splice properly though.

Well, Boney told me that he started doing a bunch of crappy customs before he became great, so I prefer to do a bit of everything. And thanks for that, Adell, someone else told me that a long time ago, but i forgot...

• 2 months later...

tsunabeta2.png

I didn't feel like splicing, so I just kinda whipped this up. I've lately been into Katekyo Hitman Reborn, so I really wanted to try making Tsuna :D Not sure where to go from here, or how to really shade... So, I think this might be my halt :l

Well, you've got the anime look doing for the hair, but the face doesn't match the reference in the least. Yours looks more like an upside down triangle, when it should look something like a trapezoid with a pointy chin.

tsunabeta.png It seems pretty rounded. Now I just need to re-do it in a different format...

No, round out the CHEEKS. You're just spriting a circle.

The face goes down at a slight angle, the cheeks are rounded, and then they go down at a sight angle off of 180 degrees to form the point of the chin.

daeinformat2.pngsplice1q.png

Black knight: So for this one, I took the FE10 Daein soldier and attempted to shrink and outline him. It ended in failure and it was just too tedious to try and get his outline and shading down :(

5 splices: For these, I couldn't decide on which I liked the most, so I did small changes for each :o

Please critique, and thank you :D

For stuff like FE10 sprites, it's a lot easier to just custom them, than trying to shrink and fit them in. Seriously. cause, that shrunken one looks horrid

For the other one, I wanna say top right look best, even there's still problems with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Bump :o

mag2r.png

This was supposed to be a sheltered priest of some sort, which is why his skin is so pale, but it doesn't really get complimented with the other colors, so anybody got ideas for his palette?

redhaireddood.gif

Pretty simple, although I hate the eyes with a passion, I can never seem to get correct eyes, even with just splicing D: Anybody got any ideas for his left (our right) eye?

CnC? (:

For stuff like FE10 sprites, it's a lot easier to just custom them, than trying to shrink and fit them in. Seriously. cause, that shrunken one looks horrid

I'm gonna have to disagree with this one. Instead of shrinking it as a whole, seperate the pieces and shrink individually, it'd be better if you have like a nude base mug as to which you could use as a proportion guide, knowing the shoulder span, body size and stuff, would really help when shrinking because generally you'd have a better concept of what to shrink to, unlike just shrinking the whole thing by a percentage and hoping that it works. And when shrinking part by part you aren't constricted by sizes of other parts, the only part that matters would be the one currently shrinking. It'd also be better if you used the selection tool to shrink instead of the resizing option using percentages in paint, it doesn't really need to be a clean shrink, just something clear enough to get the general shape which you can draw over in neon to get your outline.

On the new mug, you have conflicting skin tones, namely, the ear and clothing aren't matched with the face skin tone. Also, the hair could use more shading where it meets the forehead, granted, it's not your fault due to Lucious' mug, but he was blonde and had a pale'ish skin tone, it blended better, yours kinda stands out against each other.

I can't see the second mug you just posted, comes up as "Posted Image".

Edited by 暁

Your splices are pretty clean. You could use this to find a good skin tone for the first one.

For the second one, that body is a little too big for Gel's head. The eyes aren't too bad, but they've got this really dark line under them. If that was intentional, no probs. Otherwise, you might want to fix that.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this one. Instead of shrinking it as a whole, seperate the pieces and shrink individually, it'd be better if you have like a nude base mug as to which you could use as a proportion guide, knowing the shoulder span, body size and stuff, would really help when shrinking because generally you'd have a better concept of what to shrink to, unlike just shrinking the whole thing by a percentage and hoping that it works. And when shrinking part by part you aren't constricted by sizes of other parts, the only part that matters would be the one currently shrinking. It'd also be better if you used the selection tool to shrink instead of the resizing option using percentages in paint, it doesn't really need to be a clean shrink, just something clear enough to get the general shape which you can draw over in neon to get your outline.

Ah, 'kk, I can see how that could be better than just customing it. He could use the FE10 minis as well for a good outline for a neon, if resizing isn't his thing.

Otherwise, yeah, that would work better than resizing the whole dern thing.

Edited by seph1212

For the second one, that body is a little too big for Gel's head. The eyes aren't too bad, but they've got this really dark line under them. If that was intentional, no probs. Otherwise, you might want to fix that.

I put it in paint and drew over what would be a nude body, I believe it's accurate, if so, then I can easily say the armour would fit, but it could be brought in a few pixels. Also on the left side, the cloak could be brought up to match the head tilt.

As for the eyes, I've never really been a fan of the Colm/Chad/Gale style eyes, imo it looks gross.

Yeah, the second one doesn't come up for some people, including myself, but it does for others. I've decided to leave that issue alone... As for the first one's skin tone, it purposefully is different from the white cloth, because it looks weird otherwise.

The paladin's eyes, I can't remember whose those are. But I used those because it was pretty much just larger than his original eyes. Which looked disturbingly, funny to me.