Aspiring Amateur

Sovereign

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're getting at isn't bad, however the approach needs a bit of work, Sai.

The body is disproportionate.

The hair is flat.

The details of the face are poorly drawn and shaded.

The body as a whole lacks a lot of definition and detailing.

Also the fur makes no sense. Sorry, pal.

He's going to be more along the lines of either a myrmidon or a rogue. I agree right now with hair, I haven't shaded it completely yet, fur is still being worked on the right of his neck, body... I'm not sure yet. Not sure what you mean by the face though, Nayr, mind showing me what you mean? I mean, the neck is poorly shaded, but then again that's my first time shading a neck. I sort of understand what's wrong with that right now.

Thanks for all the feedback, btw, everyone! I really appreciate it :)

-snip-

Iono what's up with the clothes, so I didn't bugger with that, but there's a rough scribble of anatofunks.

Umm, I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying :o But I do appreciate that anatomy sketch -saved- :3

Edited by Sai

• 1 year later...

wat.png<- Loooong bump. How active are the art forums these days? Anyways, I'll make it quick. Got a question as for general self-improvement. The green area circled, how exactly would most approach shading this? I feel as if it's a small bang, but it should accentuate the shading to the left of it a bit more? Or is that wrong, seeing as it's so small, it wouldn't cast too much of a shadow?

By the way, nothing else is changed off Matthew, so I was only curious about that one tidbit of shading information. Thanks!

EDIT: test2x.png

So, thought I'd throw myself back into the vicious world of splicing, started with doing just hair right now. Feedback much appreciated :D Also, the face shading, it seems off to me. Under-shaded? Anyone got pointers for hair roots? I noticed I can tell it looks pillowy in the bangs, but not sure how to go about patching that up :o

Edited by Sovereign

drafftttt.png

So I was toying with other hairs, looking how it seems the middle shade seems to be majority of hair, and highlights are with the brightest shade, and the darker for contours. Am I in the right direction with separating those front bangs from the back of the hair?

And if that is correct, should I drop the back of the hair a bit, or kind of make a dip where it meets the top of the bangs? Also, the highlights of the hair scare me, so I want to kind of get the contours down first D:

Edited by Sovereign

Link ain't workin', mate.

Think I just fixed it? Also, are you Mew?

EDIT: drafthairnatomy.png

Messed with it some more, and for this draft I defined the chunks of hair more with the darkest shade. It's starting to look like hair q.q

Edited by Sovereign

Think I just fixed it? Also, are you Mew?

I'm Mew. Umm

His eye would show under the hair, though the hair being a blob is probably more important to fix. If I were you, I'd just splice a new piece of hair and try again P: It's suuper chunky and would require probably quite a bit of work to get it to look like it's not made of playdough

edit: PFFF PFFF PFFF I read none of the above before I posted this and that makes me sad

Edited by Mewthos

Well I'm at work right now so I can't toy with it, but the main focus has been the hair. I've been doing the shading so I can start to understand the anatomy of the hair shading.

Clearly not going well with my play dough q.q Been watching a lot of Pi to see if I could somewhat get a grasp of the process.

Edited by Sovereign

Lemme be honest with you: wavy hair is a bitch to sprite.

Damn, I really liked the design of the hair. I'll come back to this one in the future for sure then! I'll try out something new when I get home, thanks :D

drafftttt3.png

So I messed with the hair a little bit and changed his mouth expression (pretty sure I messed up under the bottom lip, and I hopefully fixed the issue with the forehead? -crosses fingers-

I would start something new, but I'm dead from work and gotta get some shuteye for tomorrow.

notice my first attempt at anti-aliasing at some borders of the hair

Edited by Sovereign

Yeah, his hair looks like it has a lot of volume to it. I think it might be because his hair doesn't really have a clear point of origin and some parts look laid over the rest (specifically the front area). I think there might be a bit too much shading in the top-back-right of the hair as well.

draft4.png

Hmm, I'll really have to give the hairnatomy a shot on a different hair design. I'm so invested in this, it hurts to change, so I've been keeping all the layers in a separate file, lol. I added some more definition, (I think) to the highlights of the hair, also kind of changed the shape in the top left, so it doesn't just look like a rounded bulb, although it still does for the most part.

I really appreciate the pointers, Toa! The origin seemed kind of confusing for this one for me though, since I might be seeing it overall differently than others would.

I understand the feels you have, ser. But really, it looks like hes wearing Nergal's turban. Maybe trying to not shade too much in the center part of his head? Hair is a right pain in the fanny and i still struggle with it. Good luck. I like the concept you are aiming for.