Growths / Base Stats - Balancing

Sire

I know not where to put this. However, since it has to do with calculations and can apply to other FE ROM hacks, I decided to place it here. Move it should it be required.

Recently, I decided to head into the balancing stage of my hack up to chapter 4 (Planning a release this weekend). However, calculations and balancing is not my strong point whatsoever. So, input on the likely inaccurate calculations I have sketched out would be greatly appreciated.

Notes: Cap here means the norm for that unit. Everything across the board is likely to have the same total of growth rates, but are simply placed differently.

Note 2: This is not trying to identify which stat is more important. I am merely concerned about totals.

Note 3: A rare few will be excepted from the charts

Character Growths: (Character overrides Class growths)
Lord Growth Cap:                              330 [Originally 350]
Boss Growth Cap:                              320
Normal Character Growth Cap:                  300
Prepromote Character Growth Cap       		270 (Only if the unit joins as a prepromote before chapter 13)

Class Growths: (For generic enemies / NPCs)
Normal Class Growth Cap:                      245
Promoted Class Growth Cap:                    260

Character Base Stats: (These are added on to Class bases. Luck bases are can only be alloted here.)
Lord Base Stats Cap at Level One:     		15
Boss Base Stats Cap at Level One:     		13
Character Base Stats Cap at Level One:        10

Add 4 stats per level to characters.
Add 5 stats per level to lords / bosses
Add 5 stats per level to promoted characters. [Originally 6]
Add 6 stats per level to promoted bosses. [Originally 8]

1 Stat into HP: Normal = 2 Stats [subject to testing]
1 Stat into HP: Promoted = 3 Stats [subject to testing]
Some classes / characters may be excepted from this rule.

Class Base Stats:
Normal Class Base Stats Cap at Level One:   	35
Lord Base Stats Cap at Level One:       		40
2nd Tier Class Base Stats at Level One:   	45
2nd Tier Lord Base Stats at Level One:          50

Edited by Sire

The lord growth cap should be lower, I can't remember an FE lord over 340% that is not in Tellius (with its 8th stat/3rd tier). What do you mean by boss growth? I thought they used the normal enemy one.

This here is a little too broken, halfing would do:

"Add 8 stats per level to promoted characters. [???]

Add 9 stats per level to promoted bosses. [???] "

And although I know it is for balance, it might be good to give some characters a few base additions if they are under the stat growth cap.

Prepromote Character Growth Cap   			270 (Only if the unit joins as a prepromote)

Is this referring to any characters that show up promoted when most of your army is not (Zealot, Marcus, fe9 Titania), or any units that are recruited already promoted period?

Units like Niime probably count regardless, considering they will be many levels above the rest of your units. But then there are units like Percival who is only level 5 at a time where you can actually have a couple of promoted units that are at least close to that level. Particularly Rutger and Dieck. Guys like Percival should probably not count as prepromotes as far as your 270 growth cap is concerned.

Don't forget that Archers and mages have terrible base stats, and need help. Less so for mages, as they actually have utility. In the form of, like...magic.

Hmm...

About the 350 Growth: If I added up the growth rates for Erika correctly, they do come out to be 350. I guess I can lower them to 330.

About the 8/9 Promoted Additions: I do not know if when the auto level feature is enabled that it takes in account the full 20 levels before promotion. This will require some testing. For now, I may change the numbers.

About the Stat Growth Cap: I plan on having everyone nearly the same across the board, but for those who happen to end up below the cap, I'll keep this in mind.

About Archers / Mages Bases: I'll look into it. In addition, I may end up making some extra weapons in the unused slots.

About HP Stat: Good point. I may end up that every point into HP counts as two stat bonuses instead of one, and when promoted three instead of two. Some others may be excepted from this rule. [subject to testing]

About the 270 Promoted Growth: I think I was going for if they were promoted, disregarding the fact if your normal army if promoted or not. I was getting mindset that promoted characters were generally weaker than the characters at start when leveled correctly, and prepromotes were generally just replacement characters when you lose your starters. (At least that is what I got from reading around in places.)

I may end up doing something of the following...

Seth - Joins at the start, usable for the entire game (I was planning on giving the replacement the 300 or 310 growths in addition to good bases, but I may change it to 270 for balance.)

Innes / Duessel - Joins around Chapter 10 or 15 depending on path chosen. They may get the 270 growth because (without tower or skimirsh) not all units have the chance to be promoted at 20 quite yet. The Ch 15 version is autoleveled.

Dozla - Joins around Chapter 11. He may have the 270 growth.

Ewan - Ewan's replacement is a prepromote, and may have the 270 growth. Joins in Chapter 12.

Saleh - Joins around Chaper 12 or 15 depending on path chosen. He may have the 270 growth. The chapter 15 version is autoleveled.

Rennac - Joins in Chapter 14. He may keep the 300 growth.

Mryhh - Her replacement is a Sage, and he joins in Chapter 16. He may keep the 300 growths as your army may have normal promotes by then.

Syrene - She joins in Chapter 17, and the replacement may keep the 300 growth.

Many thanks to all that has given their input. I'll see if I can get around to making a patch for tomorrow.

Edit: Also made changes to first post to reflect changes made.

Edit 2: New HP mechanic seems to place a big dent in balancing... Seeing if I can progress off-site.

Edit 3: Changed it so that...

Normal Character = 1.5

Promoted = 2

I'm thinking it'll be a rushed release...

Edited by Sire