Let's Play FE7

Paperblade

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I think you're nitpicking a little much. How was Eliwood's "we must stop this before any more die" breaking the flow of conversation? The point is, the Black Fang doesn't honor life, Hector expressed his disgust, and Eliwood made a statement in response that basically meant that they're not going to let them do this to anyone else.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Again, I think you're nitpicking a little much. How was Eliwood's "we must stop this before any more die" breaking the flow of conversation? The point is, the Black Fang doesn't honor life, Hector expressed his disgust, and Eliwood made a statement in response that basically meant that they're not going to let them do this to anyone else.

Oh, you.

I really hate to be a party pooper, but this is something that always irritates me about anyone, not just Paperblade, who riffs on the plot in any way such as the Nostalgia Critic, the Spoonyone, and especially RedLetterMedia. There are times when it feels like they're complaining over things for the sake of complaining, either because they're afraid of letting people down if they can't throw enough jokes out per update, or because they know inwardly their complaint isn't entirely valid, but they wanted to make a funny joke anyway, so they manipulated the scene to make it seem like they were right.

What I'm talking about is instances like RedLetterMedia saying that it takes 45 minutes in the Phantom Menace to get to Tatooine (it's only like 32 minutes at most) and the Nostalgia Critic complaining that Rocky didn't try to save Apollo from certain demise in Rocky 4 (in actuality, Rocky did try to talk Apollo out of continuing the fight, but Apollo was too proud to give up).

Don't get me wrong, I love stuff like riffing on the plot as long as it's done well, but when you nitpick too much, it makes you look silly at best, and dishonest at worse. I'm sure that's not his intention, and he is otherwise an extremely entertaining Let's Player I really like, I'm just saying, that one thing sort of irritates me. I'm not saying that ruins him for me though, heck, I probably struggle with the same sort of thing when I wrote my Avatar: The Last Airbender reviews.

[14:14] <@Paperblade> whine whine whine

[14:14] <@Paperblade> I'm not nitpicking

[14:14] <@Paperblade> I'm intentionally blowing character traits totally out of proportion

[14:14] <@Paperblade> for the sake of comedy

[14:14] <@Paperblade> there's a difference

I really hate to be a party pooper, but this is something that always irritates me about anyone, not just Paperblade, who riffs on the plot in any way such as the Nostalgia Critic, the Spoonyone, and especially RedLetterMedia. There are times when it feels like they're complaining over things for the sake of complaining, either because they're afraid of letting people down if they can't throw enough jokes out per update, or because they know inwardly their complaint isn't entirely valid, but they wanted to make a funny joke anyway, so they manipulated the scene to make it seem like they were right.

What I'm talking about is instances like RedLetterMedia saying that it takes 45 minutes in the Phantom Menace to get to Tatooine (it's only like 32 minutes at most) and the Nostalgia Critic complaining that Rocky didn't try to save Apollo from certain demise in Rocky 4 (in actuality, Rocky did try to talk Apollo out of continuing the fight, but Apollo was too proud to give up).

Don't get me wrong, I love stuff like riffing on the plot as long as it's done well, but when you nitpick too much, it makes you look silly at best, and dishonest at worse. I'm sure that's not his intention, and he is otherwise an extremely entertaining Let's Player I really like, I'm just saying, that one thing sort of irritates me. I'm not saying that ruins him for me though, heck, I probably struggle with the same sort of thing when I wrote my Avatar: The Last Airbender reviews.

Well it's a good thing that Paperblade isn't the Nostalgia Critic or RedLetterMedia or trying to be anything like them.

Well, he's doing a similar sort of thing though during the story segments, in that he's entertaining the audience by making fun of the story, that's what I mean by "riffing". Do you think I'm being too harsh? I'm starting to feel as though I might be, I tend to obsess over dumb things sometimes.

Well, he's doing a similar sort of thing though during the story segments, in that he's entertaining the audience by making fun of the story, that's what I mean by "riffing". Do you think I'm being too harsh? I'm starting to feel as though I might be, I tend to obsess over dumb things sometimes.

It should be fairly obvious he is just doing it as an entertainment thing. There is really no need to blow up at him, s I would say you are indeed being too harsh. I get what you're trying to say, but you're pushing it onto a mold it doesn't fit into.

So if someone makes fun of a story to entertain people, that makes them like the Nostalgia Critic or RedLetterMedia?

Exactly. It's like policemen, the navy, the airforce, and the militiary. Their methods may be different, but they all have the same ultimate objective. To beat up the enemies of their people and countries for the sake of protecting their people, therefore making them all warriors in their own way. It's the same sort of thing with any entertainer who entertains by making fun of things. Some make fun of society and it's practices, some make fun of comic books, some make fun of movies, but they're all comedians in some way.

I think perhaps you got the idea that anyone who makes fun of a story to entertain people is as dishonest as those two can occasionally be? That's not what I meant. Sorry to confuse you if that's the case.

Anyways, I think perhaps the way I said my objection was overly harsh. I didn't mean to come across as me going on a rant or something, I just tend to be overly exacting whenever I try to explain myself. I dislike leaving anything up to interpretation when it comes to my thoughts. It makes it so that people can draw hurtful things from them that I don't mean.

Actually, you know what, as long as we're on the subject, I sort of want to ask you something. Say you're playing Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light, and you get to Morodorf talking to you. Obviously, nothing in the game itself ever tells you about him until you get to Chapter 3 where he just sort of randomly shows up, so I have an opportunity to act like he's some crazy old man who showed up. However, as far as I know, he was mentioned in the manual, but, I don't actually have the manual with me to verify that, and even if I did, I can't read Japanese. Is it then ok to roll with that idea, and act like he's a random character with no backstory when you know there's a possibility that it was explained in the manual?

Actually, you know what, as long as we're on the subject, I sort of want to ask you something. Say you're playing Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light, and you get to Morodorf talking to you. Obviously, nothing in the game itself ever tells you about him until you get to Chapter 3 where he just sort of randomly shows up, so I have an opportunity to act like he's some crazy old man who showed up. However, as far as I know, he was mentioned in the manual, but, I don't actually have the manual with me to verify that, and even if I did, I can't read Japanese. Is it then ok to roll with that idea, and act like he's a random character with no backstory when you know there's a possibility that it was explained in the manual?

http://shaym.in/fe1/chapter3.html

Fire%2520Emblem%2520J%2520-79.png

marth.png Who the hell are you?

Edited by Mekkah

requesting Mekkah stop advertising funnier lps in my topic kthx

[spoiler=Chapter 19 Part 3]fe701674.png

fe701675.png

Man you guys are so weak.

fe701677.png

fe701678.png

Seriously are you even trying?

fe701679.png

Goddammit Eliwood why do you have to ruin this perfect moment?

fe701680.png

fe701682.png

fe701683.png

Well if the Black Fang are here and Florina is here, then by the transitive property, Florina is the Black Fang.

fe701684.png

fe701685.png

Florina plans to assassinate her sister. There can be no survivors.

fe701686.png

fe701687.png

Agreed.

fe701688.png

fe701689.png

You do not get over survivor's guilt that easily, dammit.

fe701691.png

Yeah, that's like, Marcus's job.

fe701693.png

"Uh, well, like, I eat and drink and breathe and sleep and keep my internal organs intact..."

fe701697.png

fe701698.png

"Despite the fact that everything about my organization has changed including my line of work, I can't change. Despite having already changed."

fe701699.png

Even Lyn knows this is bullshit.

fe701701.png

AHAHA YOU ACTUALLY KILLED HER.

You are the best.

fe701702.png

Dude I don't. Did you see his horse jump like 20 feet into the air, and at the peak he jumped off his horse like another 20 feet into the air despite still being seated in his saddle, then fucking impaled Lyn while simultaneously landing back on his horse?

That was awesome. I want ten of those.

So like, they pronounce your name "You-high" right? 'Cause when you kill people it's like "Man you high in the air"

fe701705.png

No way, he was too awesome to kill a redhead.

fe701706.png

This logically follows what you just said.

requesting Mekkah stop advertising funnier lps in my topic kthx

If it makes you feel better didja abandoned that lp 8888[

Also if it makes you feel better I have been reading your lp this entire time and think you're doing a really good job!!

except for the update schedule