What languages do you speak?

Darros

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty amazed at the fact that so many of us are familiar with more than one language. It'd be hilarious to see us all meshed into one superhuman with all of our linguistic knowledge. Hmm... If I'm not mistaken, the most common second language here on the forums is...French?

My main language is English, I've been learning french for about 4-5 years, I've started to learn polish and Italian and I know tiny bit of spanish and like several words of latin.

I know how to say hi and goodbye in like 20+ different languages, that wouldn't get me very far trying to talk to someone speaking in that langague XD

Native Portuguese, somewhat decent English, some Japanese. Notions of Spanish and Latin but they don't really count.

Indeed. Five years here and my body still isn't ready for JLPT level 2, which is supposed to be proof of an intermediate level of proficiency.

Wow, the gap between JLPT 2 and 1 is that huge?

You're making me afraid to keep learning this language right now. :V

I'd say it's technically English.

In many countries, I think it's common that they teach English. I've heard even some for business purposes, maybe?

But anyway, in the Philippines schools way back when I was there, they teach English in the private schools, and forbid you from speaking tagalog while learning it in the Elementary school levels, and as I heard, on presentations in the higher grades. (That school taught Elementary school to high school)

I don't know about the public schools though if they taught English as a "required" second language like the school I went to. (I've heard the public schools there were crap, but the private schools were comparable, if not better than the schools here in the US)

Wow, the gap between JLPT 2 and 1 is that huge?

You're making me afraid to keep learning this language right now. :V

The gap between 3 (which was horribly easy tbh) and 2 is huge. Or was, at least. They've apparently changed the system a bit, but I don't really know how it is now. People usually get stuck at 2 so I don't get to hear much about level 1.

It's all over if you give up. Besides, it isn't like you can't do shit with a (truly) elementary level Japanese; it serves my gaming purposes well enough.

In many countries, I think it's common that they teach English. I've heard even some for business purposes, maybe?

Yeah. But anyway, my point was that the number of non-native English speakers here is very likely greater than the number of native English posters with French (or whatever) as their second language.

Edited by TheEnd

Virgil? What a wimp. Wouldn't last five seconds against 'ol Ἡρόδοτος.

I'd very much like to learn Greek, actually.

I complained to my Latin teacher that there were no Greek classes.

Quite honestly, he'd be qualified to teach Greek too.

The gap between 3 (which was horribly easy tbh) and 2 is huge. Or was, at least. They've apparently changed the system a bit, but I don't really know how it is now. People usually get stuck at 2 so I don't get to hear much about level 1.

It's all over if you give up. Besides, it isn't like you can't do shit with a (truly) elementary level Japanese; it serves my gaming purposes well enough.

Well, I guess I might as well try. I just don't want to put in all this effort for perhaps moving in that direction for a career to have it all blow up on me.

I have quite a bit of fun learning it, though.