What languages do you speak?

Darros

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly anymore, just remember some phrases I can use every now and then^^"

@Ken: Yeah... I don't think so. It's pretty hard for not native speaker to learn, there are three articles to determine the gender of an object, but you can't really learn which article belongs to an object, because often there could be several words with the same spelling but different gender, meaning, etc.. When I think about it, even native speakers often have problems with it, so...

If you're really interested in German, I'd rather take lessons.

But you should never -NEVER- learn French. It's such a satanic language, with exceptions from the norm, and exceptions from the exceptions, and exceptions of the exceptions of the... you get me?

I believe, German is at least as hard to learn on your own as Japanese.

But you should never -NEVER- learn French. It's such a satanic language, with exceptions from the norm, and exceptions from the exceptions, and exceptions of the exceptions of the... you get me?

Oh lordy he's correct, it's complicated, nothing makes sense... Augh!

This is a grave insult to the tongue of my username. This calls for an immediate declaration of war to extract revenge for 1870.

Not as if that's very different from English, though.

english&cantonese.

I can also speak mandarin like a kanners-autism kid. derrrrrr I like blue colour. My house is small but comfortable.

Interesting, I'm the only Cantonese speaker on the forums? Seems like Mandarin/Cantonese has been generalized into mere "Chinese" nowadays. Skitarii is not pleased.

Anyways...

Languages known: English, Cantonese, Mandarin

Experience

English: Being born in the US....I think I don't need to comment.

Cantonese: Funny, unlike most American-born Chinese I know, I don't speak English outside of school. So my Cantonese is pretty much on the very fluent level....

Mandarin: I've had about 9-10 years of Saturday Chinese school, where I learned how to speak Mandarin and read/write Chinese characters. Unfortunately there isn't much of a chance for me to use Mandarin very much.

oh. Oh Okay. I see. I guess I don't exist. alright. No no I'm fine. Just some dust in my eye.

English is a confusing language IMO.

Too many grammar rules.

Chinese is so much easier.

The grammar's simple, but there's so many characters... For some reason I thought that would be more of a problem :o

Oh wait, it is

Too many grammar rules.

"Exceptions". Even though it was easy for me to get it, since usually, when you're still a kid, you just pick up languages VERY easily, I remember that was the hardest part about learning it. I kept asking "Why is it like that?" for those exceptions, especially when pronouncing plural versions of certain words.

Too many grammar rules.

Understanding written English isn't challenging at all... although I guess the truthfulness of that statement depends on what your mother tongue is.

I still can't speak it properly though.

Edited by TheEnd

Understanding written English isn't challenging at all... although I guess the truthfulness of that statement depends on what your mother tongue is.

I still can't speak it properly though.

Same here...sometimes others can't understand what I am saying...

The grammar's simple, but there's so many characters... For some reason I thought that would be more of a problem :o

Oh wait, it is

The characters are no problem~

I can't deal with irregular grammar.

And... oh god. Pronunciations.

I still can't write a proper essay without many grammar issues due to my lack of grasp on the irregularities. And the tense agreement stuff. They didn't have that in Chinese. Nor did they have plurals verbs. Makes everything more bothersome, those.

The characters are no problem~

I can't deal with irregular grammar.

And... oh god. Pronunciations.

I still can't write a proper essay without many grammar issues due to my lack of grasp on the irregularities. And the tense agreement stuff. They didn't have that in Chinese. Nor did they have plurals verbs. Makes everything more bothersome, those.

apart from the characters...

-there's 10+ ways of saying "a" or "an" depending on the size and shape of the object.

-the way you say "aunt" "uncle" "grandma" etc. changes depending which side of the family they are on, and how old they are in relation to your parents.

-4 words with the same pronounciation, and if your tone is even a bit off, it's a completely different word.

-etc.

Um. no. english is a piece of cake compared to chinese.

Edited by Hepatitis A

Eh. Maybe it's just that I grew up with it.

Couldn't speak comprehensible English 'till I was 10.

I find it pretty easy, really. Just whatever makes sense. Verb tenses...don't. If it was just past/present/future I'd be okay, but then there's pluperfect, future perfect, infinitives, actives, passives, indicatives, subjunctives, and then there the gerundive and the participle. Chinese got nothing like those.

Tense agreement, IMO, is still the worst.