Am I Mentally Ill?

Soren37

It's best to see a psychologist in your case, but tread carefully. While there are those who are effective in their treatments (those who prescribe the right medications along with solid counseling sessions) there are those who don't have your best interests at heart. But don't do a self-diagnosis on yourself or do one based on what you hear from others online; that's what qualified psychologists are for.

It is, however, OK to air a "self-diagnosis" and talk to your psychiatrist about it. I've done that before and it's not really damaging, especially if you trust your doctor to some reasonably strong degree.

It is, however, OK to air a "self-diagnosis" and talk to your psychiatrist about it. I've done that before and it's not really damaging, especially if you trust your doctor to some reasonably strong degree.

I actually recommend this on the grounds that can even help them pinpoint what your illness is quicker, or to at least help narrow the field on what you're suffering from. Doing one without consulting a doctor on the other hand...

However, if you don't go to a reliable person to diagnose you, you might just be influencing what they try to look for if you come in with a set of pre-beliefs of what you might be considered. Rather than say you have X symptoms like those that fall under X diagnosis, it's a bit better just to actually describe how you feel and what you see in life.

A decent rule of thumb with psychiatrists is that if they try to prescribe drugs on the first consultation, you need to find a new one. Yes, there are plenty of people in the field of psychology who do good work with the tools they have; unfortunately, this field is also plagued with charlatans who are, like ticks, difficult to pry out completely.

Oh, and OP, I really would strongly advise seeing a mental health professional if you're causing yourself bodily harm to cope with stress. I wouldn't advise "self-diagnosis," but be sure that you're honest in sessions when speaking about what, why, and how far you go in your behaviors/feelings to the best of your knowledge.

A decent rule of thumb with psychiatrists is that if they try to prescribe drugs on the first consultation, you need to find a new one. Yes, there are plenty of people in the field of psychology who do good work with the tools they have; unfortunately, this field is also plagued with charlatans who are, like ticks, difficult to pry out completely.

Yes, well there are tough aspects of this. I was prescribed drugs during consultations I don't remember since I was hospitalized at the time, and the consultations don't entirely make sense. Moreover, I KNOW that I was saying things that weren't true during the time of consultations. For instance I admitted to cocaine use even though I have never used cocaine (it was a joke because I was going crazy), that I actually remember doing because I thought it was funny but there were other things I saw written down that didn't match my own memories of my life at all.

Edited by Loki Laufeyjarson