Advice for FE4.

Darros

Im halfway through the prologue and in need of help before I continue.

Who should I train?

Who do I pair?

What convos exist that are of use?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These pairings are often regarded as the best:

Aideen×Midir

Ayra×Holyn

Lachesis×Beowulf

Fury×Levin

Briggid×Dew

Tiltyu×Azel

Now Sylvia. If you want to pair her, do so with Claude, so you can at least pass down the Valkerie Staff.

If you don't pair her, you instead get a dancer with Charisma, and the ability to get the Beserk Staff.

Edited by crashman_alpha

Of the people you have so far, Sigurd, Alec, Midir, Lex and Fin need the most training and it helps if Cuan is trained as well. Azel and Ardan are slow and Noish is rubbish at fighting.

If a conversation is available, always make it happen.

These pairings are often regarded as the best:

Aideen×Midir

Ayra×Holyn

Lachesis×Beowulf

Fury×Levin

Briggid×Dew

Tiltyu×Azel

Now Sylvia. If you want to pair her, do so with Claude, so you can at least pass down the Valkerie Staff.

If you don't pair her, you instead get a dancer with Charisma, and the ability to get the Beserk Staff.

The bolded is arguable, and probably will be for a while.

For AyraXHolyn, there's also Noish for Critial and Lex for TANKY kids and Elite.

For BriggidXDew, there's the option of Briggid and Holyn, as it helps one of her kids a bit more IMO than Sol Sword.

Aideen/Jamka won't get pursuit since Jamka's pursuit is only a class skill and these don't get inherited by the kids.

Rana probably won't care much because she will use mostly staffs but Lester would need the pursuit ring.

Edit: And I think Lester's accuracy will be garbage.

Edited by BrightBow-User

Buuuuut does

Hero Sword+Elite+Capped Def>Luna and Hero Sword?

Not to mention Meteor is already lol

Swordmaster caps DEF at 22, so it's not that big of a difference anyway. Now, if the caps were, say, 25...

Ska will most likely cap Def except with 8 HP higher.

And Lakche is GODGODGODGODLY

But my personal biases aside, either HolynAyra or LexAyra is fine. Not recommending Noish or Dew for first timers since you'll have to balance getting Hero Sword with pairing people, and it's just easier to do Holyn or Lex since they're her two best and easiest.

Plus Dew has, like, no HP. Swordkids are not gonna be low on money.

On BriggidxDew v Holyn: If you gonna go with LexAyra then go with BriggidHolyn. With HolynAyra go with Briggid Dew. Patty's combat still sucks anyway, and even with Hero it's not going to do great unless it's a critical Hero sword. And most likely, you're not going to do what I did just one time and getting Hero to 50+ before Gen2 even started. That just takes too long.

My real reason against LexAyra is my Lakche reaches level 30 by start of chapter 8 and then experience just goes nowhere. Yeah. I know. I overuse her. Why not if she's so godly?

Just a lot more annoying to do. You'll have to stick Fin to Lachesis for practically all of C2 and C3. It's not too bad in C3 but C2 you want to keep the Pallies alive for Knight Ring. Not to mention you want to train Fin come C7 since he lolsolos those reinforcements if promoted, or just gets enough damage that Leaf can get some easy kills.

Beo's more convenient for a first timer. Fin's cooler any day.

Not sure if you're asking this too, but you should take advantage of easy powerful bosses to get exp.

Bosses like Gandolf or Shagaal are pretty easy and funny to tease, just be careful and make sure there's a healer nearby.

Also, the arena fights are quite useful, try to clear all the arena stages if it's possible with all characters.

I don't know anything else to say, does anyone has a recommendation for the repair of weapons? I always repaired them when they were near to be broken or broke (more gold to repair, yet the best way I found out)

Edited by Light Lord

The pairs CA listed are pretty much the way to go, besides possibly switching Holyn with Lex for Ayra. But Dew x Briggid is probably the best either way because it gives Faval more speed and skill. His strength or and HP are never going to be an issue anyways, and for combat purposes Patty's going to suck with either. Plus, he kind needs Bargain for the Ichival (otherwise it's wtf expensive to reapair. Bargain makes it much better).

A third option is Briggid x Azel. It's painstaking and hard to achieve, but the payoffs turn out to be excellent. It gives just as much in terms of speed growths, and as said before Faval will never care about the strength. This pairings benefits become crystal clear when it comes to Patty. If you can promote Azel before 2nd gen, he can buy the Wind Sword to pass down to Patty. And this pairing actually gives her the magic to deal good damage with it, and she'll nearly always activate pursuit because of its lol 2 weight at range. Suddenly Patty goes to sucking at combat to being pretty kickass. If you're not pairing Tiltyu with Azel, pair him with Briggid. The results are hilarious.

@Luka I agree with AzelxBriggd, but I like BeowulfxBriggd better. It gives Patty more strength and you don't have to promote Azel to pass down a Wind Sword to Patty. She'll get Pursuit like the Azel pairing but also gains Charge for more damage and you can cover her lower base magic and magic growth with Magic Ring. It's also a better pairing long term since Charge and higher physical stats mean more to Patty in the long run.

Plus Faval benefits a little more.

Also use Fin. I cannot stress it enough. Fin is just hardcore. And he's around in both generations too.

Edited by Red Magister

Ive read things about Fin losing skills and weapons.

Is it true or trolling?

And if its true should I bother pairing him at all so I can use him to his full extent?

The pairs CA listed are pretty much the way to go, besides possibly switching Holyn with Lex for Ayra. But Dew x Briggid is probably the best either way because it gives Faval more speed and skill. His strength or and HP are never going to be an issue anyways, and for combat purposes Patty's going to suck with either. Plus, he kind needs Bargain for the Ichival (otherwise it's wtf expensive to reapair. Bargain makes it much better).

How does Dew x Briggid give more skill than the guy with Odo blood? Holyn has a 50+30% skill growth and Dew has 40%. Also, it's kinda hard to get Dew up to level 30 so chances are any advantage given by his growths will be canceled by the lower bases a unit must start out having.

Anyway, Faval doesn't have a lot of need for Bargain. Sure, Ichival is expensive, but the guy clears arenas with Steel and can generally use Silver to KO whatever you want dead out on maps. Ichival only comes into play on bosses (if you happen to wait for the 6 move guy to reach said bosses). Patty actually is a better argument for Dew x Briggid where bargain is concerned. It helps her in a couple of ways. First, she can easily buy random rings to help with her arena-ing. Second, as the money passer it would help if she didn't have to give all of her money every single time. So buy a 20000 ring and she gets to hold back 20000 from whichever unit she needs to give some money to. Then next castle she can sell it and has 20000 that the other unit probably didn't actually need and it would've just been wasting Patty's money. I've done this only once with Holyn!Patty because she really needed to keep some money but Leaf needed money for the Elite ring (or maybe it was Leen needed money for Leg). I lose money on the exchange, but it was necessary. I must've done that about 2 or 3 times with Dew in gen1 and last time I used Dew!Patty I probably did that about 4 times or something.

I still vote Holyn!Briggid because it gives Faval more skill earlier (Ichival only has 70 hit, and if I'm pulling that thing out it's because I need him to kill something so he'd better hit). The other benefits are nice, but I think that's one of my bigger reasons. Another is for Patty in the arena. Sure, Lex!Patty can Ambush every battle there and thus will eventually put something to sleep and slowly kill it if you just want to repeat over and over with 1hp. But Sleep Sword is ridiculously expensive to repair and Patty starts really weak. With an 8mt weapon and her low str she tends to do 1 or 2 damage to stuff for which she actually needs the sleep sword. Meaning she tends to break the thing when she needs to use it, or near enough. 15000 to win a battle. Or like 8000 to 10000 if she's doing 2 damage a shot to something with around 60 hp. If she needs to beat 3 or 4 guys then it really adds up. Sure, she can just repair the sword with the money she earns from winning the battle and that'll let her break it for cheap on the next guy, but this means that every arena she'll walk out with just 4000 (from winning the last battle) and you'll still have to repair the sleep sword for the next arena. Even Patty, who steals money with each attack outside the arena, will have problems if you do this. She certainly will have issues with handing out money to others.

But in 10 attacks she's bound to Moonlight once or twice and that will save a significant amount of money. Also, she'll probably need the sleep sword for less stuff. Some enemies will now be killed by Hero Sword. Also there is Moonlight to consider for helping her not to even need the sleep sword.

Azel!Patty may be better out on random enemies (16 base atk with magic and 55% growth), however she'll have major issues in the arena with her 5 base str and 35% str growth. If she could use the 2 range of the magic sword there it would be fine, but she can't. And that's assuming you pull off a level 30 Azel and level 30 Briggid. If you can't, she may have a 3 or 4 str base. And all she'll have is pursuit, no other skills to help. If you have passed down pursuit as much as possible (so like Lester has it, Delmud has it, Arthur has it (or he has holsety and doesn't need the ring for a while), then you can give Patty the Pursuit ring. If you want Leaf to have it you'll be without it from chapter 4 to chapter 6. Either that or he has to buy it, but he's better off buying Elite first anyway once he manages 40000. He does start with Continue and Critical. Might as well let Patty have it. Johalva/Johan may benefit once he gets to 40000, but at the very least she can start out chapter 7 with it and Johalva/Johan won't get to 40000 for a while anyway. Since he probably can't afford it at the start of chap 7, she'll at least have it for chapter 7 and the chapter 8 arena.

Is it true or trolling?

And if its true should I bother pairing him at all so I can use him to his full extent?

Fin does alright with Iron Lance in gen 2. And he keeps his skills. He loses weapons and items for gen 2 if you pair him in gen 1 (even the weapons he can't actually pass down) but Steel Lance is about the best you can get for him if he's not promoted in gen 1. The Hero Lance is too valuable on Fury and then Fee to allow it to skip chapters 4 through 6. Granted, I'd like him to have had that Steel Lance my last playthrough, but I didn't think to warp Fury back to the castle early enough and I wasn't going to wait another turn in chapter 3 after getting the wind sword so that she could sell her Steel and he could buy it. He did alright. If you have a good Nanna (and give her some kind of A rank sword + Earth sword) and you let Leaf have a good weapon or two you'll be fine in chapter 7. Fin can buy weapons in chapter 8.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Is it true or trolling?

If paired, Fin will only hace an Iron Lance in Gen 2. His skills (Pursuit and Prayer) remain the same.

If trained, Fin can do just fine with the Iron Lance.

From a post of mine in WoD:

Fin 20: HP 45, 21 STR (33 ATK with Iron lance), 18 SKL, 17 SPD (5 AS with Iron Lance), 16 DEF, 4 RES, 18 LCK. Cuan-Fin conversation included.

Enemies that attack Leaf's group in C7:

Armour lv 5 (steel sword): 45 hp, 20 atk, 92 hit, 2 avo, 11 def, 0 res

Thief lv 8 (steel axe): 43 hp, 25 atk, 74 hit, -18 avo, 7 def, 0 res

General lv 12 (steel axe): 52 hp, 31 atk, 88 hit, -20 avo, 15 def. 4 res

Thunder mage lv 7 (elthunder): 33 hp, 23 atk, 102 hit, 2 avo, 1 def, 7 res

Fin w/ the Iron Lance leaves the armors with 1 hp (So Leaf/Nanna can kill them regardless of the weapon they use), one rounds the thieves, 3HKOs the General, and one rounds the mages (if he's 1 STR above his average, he OHKO's them).

If you're going to pair him, do it with Lachesis. Hard to do (You pretty much have to glue them for all of Chapter 2 and 3), but it gives the kids solid stats all around and +5 SPD to Nanna.

EDIT: Slow.

Edited by Krad

It's such a pain to try to promote him in gen 1 though. I'd imagine it's even worse if you are trying to pair him with Lachesis at the same time. I often get him to around level 16 or 17.

What I do is in Chapter 2, have Fin kill Voltz (to get the Elite Ring), then have him kill some of Zane's units. This usually leaves him close to level 20 for me, so he can jump to the arena in Chapter 3, get the EXP he still needs, and then promotes.

For the Lachesis pairing, what I do is to have her get as many adjacents to Fin as I can in Chapter 2, and then glue them during Chapter 3 (After I made sure that Fin is promoted/will promote). And then after I kill everything, I mash End turn until they are paired. Not the most efficient way, but it works for me.

What I do is in Chapter 2, have Fin kill Voltz (to get the Elite Ring), then have him kill some of Zane's units. This usually leaves him close to level 20 for me, so he can jump to the arena in Chapter 3, get the EXP he still needs, and then promotes.

I really should stop favouring Ethlin so much, but I just can't help it. She gets the KO for the Elite Ring and then (I forget how she gets to 40000) buys the Pursuit Ring and really cleans up in chapter 3. It's helpful for Elt's friends and I like how she ORKOs at 2 range with the Light Sword with great accuracy.

But yeah, I really should be using Fin for that. Especially since he has just been giving a shiny new Hero Lance just before that. It should be relatively easy to get the KO for him. Oh well.

For the Lachesis pairing, what I do is to have her get as many adjacents to Fin as I can in Chapter 2, and then glue them during Chapter 3 (After I made sure that Fin is promoted/will promote). And then after I kill everything, I mash End turn until they are paired. Not the most efficient way, but it works for me.

That's basically what I did for Fin x Tiltyu two playthroughs ago. Minus the chapter 2 part.

Getting Fin to L20 isn't that hard if you often storm the maps with mounted units, leaving foot soldiers behind. Once trained up he, Cuan, Sigurd, Lex and Ethlin take over Ch2 in no time.

Levin x Tiltyu is overall better than any alternative due to the enormous Holsety availability, but Levin x Fury will do and is easier to make in first gen. If you do pair Levin with Tiltyu, pair Fury with Noish, or failing that, Claude.