Return of The Emblem Chapter One: The Artifact

Phoenix

Upon hearing his possessions would be inspected, Domovoi dropped down from Miskavolv and laid down his lance and his bag and things from his belt. Not much there, just some food, healing items, and a couple of miscellaneous things like a pocket knife.

"Here you go officer. I expect everything will be in order. You asked who we are correct? I am Domovoi, a mercenary for hire and I decided to help these people out when I found you weren't going to arrive here in time." He didn't mind cooperating with the soldiers here, as they seemed like relatively good men, but he couldn't help but express some distaste at them and their lack of competence.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it would normally only *tink* Jack, being stabbed in the head by an arrow would still sting...

"I never cared much about how someone came to acquire their abilities personally. Most of the time, anyone who has been tossed into the world used to be someone else. Heck, I used to be a lot of things but now look at me. I'm just a guy sitting in a bar with a nice girl who somehow knows her way around healing magic. Don't bother questioning it, nothing good ever comes from it. Although I'll be honest, if you wanted to come along I could probably use a healer for the next couple of days. I doubt that I'll be using my bow very well for a while, that's for sure." Edwin tried to smile, although he could feel someone getting closer. Without saying a word, he leaned back and put his hands behind his head. It looked like he was just resting, being lazy however that wasn't entirely true. His left hand moved just a little down his back, until he could feel a feather on his index finger. If this was someone deciding to be a little 'forceful' he would need some kind of defense after all.

Upon hearing the man's words, Edwin remained in his 'stretching' position with the tip of an arrow just within reach. The man looked pretty strong, very defensively capable although no one ever seemed to enjoy an arrow to the head or side. "Its only fair, after all what good is gold going to do me if I end up 6 feet under. Who am I going to leave it to, that horse out there? Or one of the many friends I have in the world" "Anyways its not that much money. I got paid about half my usually fee anyways...but that doesn't mean I plan on letting go of the rest of unnecessarily." As the conversation continued, the self named 'survivor' would do his best to analyze the man's next few words and actions. If he didn't take being told 'no' very well and went for the gold it was obvious that things would go from better to slightly more annoying. "But I digress, I don't have any issue with the people that did this to me. I'm a professional, and I knew the risks when I signed up for this little suicide mission. Fact is the people that did this to me got the drop on my employer and managed to sucker us into an ambush. A lot of my people died, and a lot of theirs did too and in the end I survived. I don't resent the people that did this, the moment that my employer bit the dust my contract ended and I don't plan on trying to 'fulfill' her mission myself or going after them for revenge. The moment the cute little red head's head hit the ground, I knew my part of the story was over so I turned tail, broke through the back guards ranks and got out of there. Maybe some of the others did too, but I kinda doubt it since I didn't see any of them on the road. And I doubt you would have fared too well against a woman who knows how to bend lightning to her whim friend. Then again I don't know what actually does stand up well to that."

"However, I'm sure that in a town like this either of you could find some work. Heck, I might even be willing to hire both of you if I had anything lined up at the moment. Unfortunately though, I doubt I'll be in working order anytime soon as it stands... no offense to the girl that tried to save my life of course and the somewhat drunk guy wanting to 'stick' people for money. However you never know how the world works, the call seems to come at the most inopportune times. I wouldn't be surprised if someone wasn't already putting us into the middle of something already."

"Huh," Jack said. He listened long enough to figure out that the guy wasn't hiring, and after that the monologue was mostly lost on him. "Suit yourself," he said, shrugging before he walked away. Jack got the feeling that there were some ulterior motives at work there, what with this fellow turning out a massive amount of money to a cute healer girl, but suddenly throwing up the cold shoulder when approached by a male merc. It had been worth a try, though. Jack went back to his drinks. He may not be able to find any work, but at least he'd be able to forget about that for a while.

"If you want to see it, I have no problem with that. I'll gladly open it and let you look through its pages. I can even tell you about the many stories written on each of the blank pages or scrawled between the margins. But I won't turn it over to you. I don't trust a guard to handle something like this. And yes, that is what I saw. As the mighty explosion from yonder dock rippled through these humble streets, sending fair maidens crying and screaming for shelter and prompting that primal bloodlust in men, I too ran off to see what had caused it. Yet, as I hurried to yield to my more basic nature, I caught out of the corner of my eye, the dame whom had been standing beside the cart earlier upon a wyvern overhead and the cart surrounded by men with dark intentions. Taking up my tome, I slew one and struck down an-"

Daloth pointed down towards the first man he had struck in combat. Though not quite dead yet, between the frostburn and the impalement of the ice shard (which was now starting to slowly melt), it was clear the man would likely be dead before long. "In two minutes, give or take, I will say I struck down two of the men. Either way, I struck the men down with the magic from my tome. From there, I believe you know the rest. Also... Ummm... The man without pants was leading the strike. Nasty little pervert tried to pin me down and have his way with me earlier. A monkey shot him... I think."

Wallace sat atop Gromit as he listened to all the information being tossed around. Gromit had landed next to the wagon for Raquel. He'd set his Spear in a position that would be impossible for him to grab in time if he reached for it to fight, so the guards should have nothing to fear of him. They inspected him and found nothing of concern, and that's when they asked who everyone was.

"I am one of the Grandzenschtraum Mercenaries, Wallace. This is my wyvern, Gromit. Wolfgang ordered me to protect the girl as soon as the explosion occurred. I've been watching all the events unfold in Sergio for the last hour or so from the air." Wallace explained for his side of the story.

"I watched the whole show go down, too." Hans said once he'd joined near Wallace and was interviewed by one of the guards. "Oh, and the name's Hans, I'm with Wallace and the Grandzenschtraum."

~~~~

Wolfgang and Karene were now returning to the market after making sure the threat level had diminished. The bright flash was enough to indicate that. They were glad to see Hans and Wallace unharmed, as well as the girl Wolfgang ordered him to grab. However, he did not see Ariost. Something must've made him snap to make him step out. Wolfgang sighed, glad he'd decided to give Ariost a weaker tome for the time they were trying to find a new job. He probably wouldn't harm anyone, and would show back up when he felt more stable. At least, as stable as he could get.

Wolfgang and Karene stood a small ways away from the cart. If the guards questioned them, they'd comply. But they're main concern was speaking to the girl, who seemed occupied presently.

Before Daloth had begun going on a long winded recalling of events, Ezio began his account saying "Everything seemed normal at first. Jethro ... the girl's father; came into my store hoping to sell me some more useless junk. Can't fault the man, they're in difficult times I suppose. Now let's see here ... ah, yes. It was ... him," pointing to Daloth, he continued. "That ice mage. He went speeding by the door being chased by that fisherman. Why? Lord Truth only knows. Next however came the gunshot, after some expected yelling and screaming of course. Not sure where the shot came from exactly. Jethro quickly left the store, and I started paying closer attention from there though I wasn't going to step outside right away ... not after a fiasco like that. That explosion was rather alarming, but these mercenaries were quick to arrive, speaking of the wyvern rider there. Once he whisked the girl up and away, those shady fellows showed up. Jethro was overpowered and taken by what I can only assume to be their leaders once they pulled out. The one that defeated Jethro did give an order, and as the rest of those present arrived ... all unholy manner of violence broke out. By the end of it, half of them were dead, the rest apparently ran away, and here we are." Nodding his head assuredly he finished. "And that is what I recall, sirs."

Once Daloth began resisting the guards, Ezio raised an eyebrow in suspicion himself and Raquel simply gawked. This was no time to be stingy with one's items. She was holding the item that instigated the entire attack and she wasn't going to continue hiding it. She couldn't let herself be caught doing so at the very least. From their perspective, she could have very well been a smuggler rather than a genuine merchant had she been caught hiding anything, especially something possibly expensive looking like the emblem.

Once Daloth began again and mentioned Chip firing the shot, She grimaced and tightly shut her eyes. No one was asking about the gunshot from earlier anymore and if the guards believed him, then her troubles were only just beginning. She didn't care why he incriminated Jethro's capuchin, she was simply annoyed that he even brought it up again after the fact. Fortunately for her, at first blush, his entire story didn't quite add up and he would probably come across as insane. Hopefully. Regardless Chip had a few extra hiding places, but would he know to use them? The thoughts nagged at her.

"Oy, you're nothing more than hot air!" Gytha groaned in annoyance at Daloth as she finished fastening her belt around her waist once more, having replaced the holster, sheath and pouches, "I've met men like you, I have! Blowhards, all! They'd be graggn' 'bout sea monsters they encountered or giant fish they caught; fantastic tales only the shrimps could believe. This is serious!" With that, she retrieved her dufflebag, slung it over her shoulder and waited to be dismissed so she could finish her transaction and get something to eat. It was getting dark and she needed time to find a place to sleep or she'd be stuck at an inn instead of some nice, beezey, rented room by the pier.

Maw had finally finished her fish, but the taste was still in the bones. So, with fishbones in mouth, she trotted over to Gytha from under the cart and sat down, waiting to see where they would go next. Gytha acknowleged her with a glance, but said nothing more.

Seina stared at the shiny armor men with caution as they started incompetently shouting orders. Judging from the language they were using they really didn't seem to care too much about what they were doing. Sounding more mechanical then investigative. As she was told to drop her weapon she stared blankly at one of the guards as he approached her not really knowing what to do before letting out a small "oh" and figuring her staff constittuted as a weapon. Unlike the others she wasn't blood soaked or even injured so she probably could have ran into a nearby alley and gotten away. But she supposed her attire would make her stand out.

As she was about to let go of her staff, a grounded man nearby let out a bearly audible groan. A man who looked as if he'd been through a blizzard or something. Realising that the man still had a chance of surviving, she hastily pushed past the guard who seemed surprised at her change in behavior and rushed over to the grounded man, focusing all her powers into healing the shady man. She as the healing started to work it's magic she grabbed the shard of ice which was lodged into the man, slowly pulling it out as she applied healing magic to the wound. She didn't know who the man was, or what he would do after he recovered, but if those bossy shiny men were guards, she figured that the man wouldn't do anything stupid, he was surrounded by hostile people after all.

"Oh, hey there, mister cat! Looks like you finished the fish I gave ya!" Hans walked over and knelt down by the cat, and calmly and gently attempted to pet it, not sure if this was a mistake or if he'd survive. But he was glad the cat had finished eating nonetheless, was good that it didn't have to fight over it with another stray or have to rely on theivery and become a target of an angry fisherman's weapon.

Gytha recognized the man in passing, noting that they'd been on the same ship from Fairgale, though she had to wonder what the man was thinking. Feeding Maw did wonders for what she thought of you but she still...

Maw growled at the man, crouching down and fluffing her tail threateningly. This human would not get his fish back!

"Just t' warn ye, Maw's not a friendly, little guppy. She's givn' ye a fair warning, but she's about t' cut into yer hand," Gyatha warned.

Hans sighed, withdrawling his hand. "Oh well, we'll be friends someday. I look forward to then." Hans smiled at the cat he now knew was female. He stood back up and looked over to the person he'd seen on the ship.

"No need to warn me, I didn't think I'd get the chance on my first try anyways! But there's definitely plenty of time to get to know her." Hans said with a goofy smile spreading on his face.

Gytha couldn't help but be amused by the man's optomism. "Pfff-- HA-HA-HAAAHAHAAARR!! HAHAHAHAR!!! Ye-- Ye havn't a clue! HAHAAA!! Oy, man! Ye cartainly aren't a regular john, are ye? HAHARR!! Befriendn' Maw... Oy, what a laugh! That be one o' the hardest challenges ye can take on! I wish ye luck, though! Haharr!" she bursted before thrusting out her hand for the man to shake.

Maw calmed down as the human retreated and continued sitting by Gytha, letting her fur smooth out again.

Hans completed the shake, still smiling all the while. "Hey, someone managed to befriend her, then it's possibly for someone else to! I'll be the second if Karene doesn't beat me to it!" Hans' voice elevated as he spoke. He released the woman's hand, then looked back over to the woman by the cart.

"Sorry to cut the conversation short, but I best see if the chief wishes to speak with the girl while she doesn't seem as busy with that Ezio guy speaking his heart out over there." Hans stated. He wandered away slightly and approached his boss, giving the Grandzenschtraum salute of crossing his arm over his chest with a closed fist and a slight bow.

"Chief, the girl's not so busy anymore, perhaps now would be a good time to ask her for a contract?" Hans suggested, his hands on his hip.

"Hm...that might be a good choice. Stay here with Karene, Hans, I will speak with the lady." Wolfgang passed by his comrade and proceeded to approach the cart, giving a small wave to get the girl's attention.

"Excuse me, little lady, but is this a good time I may speak with you?" Wolfgang inquired.

Edited by EchoingPewter

The mage was relieved that he didn’t treat her like everyone else she met that day about the staff issue. However, she was not nearly loose enough to start traveling with some guy she met just a short while ago, so she’d have to decline his offer. Instead, her attention was caught by the armored man walking up behind Edwin. She glared at him almost as soon as he started speaking. He was either really drunk or an idiot to expect a handout with that tone, and she suspected he was both.

Edwin gave a rather longwinded reply and the mercenary left without complaint. She said simply, “No offense taken, that man was an idiot.” Before she could say anything else however the blast outside occurred, loud enough to shake the building and terrify all the people inside it.

After almost falling out of her chair from shock she stood with panic clear on her face. “What the HELL was that?! It sounded like a house blew up or something!”

Gytha shrugged as the man left. He's no idea. The only reason Maw trusts me even this much is because I helpped 'er when she couldn't help herself. And she's too proud to even admit that, it seems half the time. The mariner smiled down at the feline who seemed rather unamused at this point. Like Gytha, she was just waiting for some sign that they could leave. Yessir, even if the man had more time to try t' befriend 'er, it seems pretty futile.

With that, she sat down, took her cleaning cloth out again and began cleaning the blade to her sword, first sweeping it through the cloth a couple times. None had quite dried yet, so the cleaning didn't take too long. When I get my whetstone and polish, I'll go on and sharpen it, too. It's getting a mite dull. Once the task was complete, she replaced the cloth into her pouch and sheathed her sword.

Edited by Mercakete

While she waited for the the guards to see about her belongings and the wagon's, the stood idly and kept her hands together, thumbs rubbing gently and randomly while she distracted herself. While she was waiting, one of the mercenaries approached asking her if it was a good time to talk. She wasn't sure but she figured the guards would simply shut them both up and do what they needed to do when the time came. "Um sure. my name is Raquel though, just for the future."

Meanwhile the assailant the Seina had saved stirred and when he realized he was still alive, he froze! He quickly considered his options. Sardis wasn't returning for him. The others had likely begun their escapes as well like they should have. He was outnumbered incredibly by both factions and his staff was misplaced. He still had his well hidden knife, but that wouldn't do much good in the current situation. He could slit his own throat and take the easy way out, or perhaps snatch up the girl and use her as a shield to try and make his escape. He was too panicked to make an immediate decision however and remained still for a brief moment.

"Well, Raquel, I would like to discuss working a contract with you." Wolfgang started, noticing the last of the robed men around gaining consciousness. He drew his sword and placed it on his pauldron, giving the man a menacing look before returning his attention to the merchant's daughter.

"I believe Ariost made the offer of 100 gold a month. And we will also make you our primary business dealers. Assuming that we will get a full variety, of course. Would that be acceptable?" Wolfgang asked her, his eyes keeping the robed man in his sight as well as Raquel.

"Told you life seems to have a way of keeping itself entertaining. There always seems to be something going on just around the corner that promises untold fortune, glory, danger and a high probability of somehow pulling you along for the ride." Edwin mused to himself, expecting the more armored of the companions to come to a similar decision that checking out what exactly just happened might be a good idea. Either way, sitting inside the bar for much longer wouldn't do anyone very much good. Especially if whatever caused the big 'boom' happened to come this way. "I don't suppose I could get one of you two to help me get back to my horse could you? I think we're all wanting to figure out what exactly that just was."

With that, the still pretty well injured man looked towards the armored man and the cleric with puppy dog eyes. He was feeling a bit better, and might be able to walk now but a little helping hand never hurt anyone.

As the shady figure she'd healed opened his eyes, Seina let out a sigh of relief. She'd done more healing today then any other day of her life, and frankly was starting to get tired of it all. Standing up and turning her back to the man, she waved at the solider and others and shouted as cheerfully as she could "Mr cloak guy's awake and healthy now!" trying to grab the man's attention.

"You can ask him questions, and questions and more questions!" she said proudly hoping it would be enough to convince them that she wasn't a bad girl and she wouldn't get in trouble.

Edited by Kanami

"Well it's a very good offer, um Sir, but without my father there isn't even much of a business. I only know enough about merchant work to get by in an emergency. But right now I need to figure out a way to get my father back. I have no idea why they took him or if I'll ever see him again." Looking over toward the guards, she lowered her head a bit. "It's not helping that there aren't any guards that can vouch for us so I can start searching." It was the emblem, that's what they claimed to be after but they took Jethro instead. She became less concerned about them killing him and more so about them using him as a ransom. She was for the most part fine with giving the object over to them if it would guarantee her father's safe return, but she had to wonder what the secrets the emblem held if they wanted it badly enough to attack in broad daylight and send a ship of the line to the bottom of the harbor.

"I need to rescue my father ... somehow. After that if they're still after us I'm sure we'll end up hiring you anyway. Your people aren't too difficult to contact, right?"

Was he crazy? She didn’t want to go anywhere if things were blowing up outside. Even so, she was curious, and it wouldn’t hurt to help the man to his horse. No, the look he gave her had nothing to do with it. She was immune to puppy dog eyes.

“Here,” she said, holding out her hand. “I’ll help you to your horse. “

"Hm...then how's about this. Until we find your father, we'll work for you for free. However, when he has properly contracted us, your protection fee will be covered by two hundred gold, no matter how many months transpire. One, three, seven, maybe two years. But then the price will return to what was originally stated monthly. Will that suffice, Raquel?" Wolfgang questioned. His entire crew would call him crazy for making a suggestion like this, but this girl had something very important on her person. He'd have to ask Wallace or Hans if they caught a glimpse of it earlier. He did not want that artifact falling into the hands of someone that may end up screwing this world up.

He would have to question the robed man in a moment. He may be easy enough to sway into telling him something about the medallion that could help him understand more why they were after it. Not only that, but he just couldn't let his guard down with the artifact around. He didn't know why, but it was strange. And a little unnerving as well. The nights ahead would likely suck; Wolfgang could only hope his crew wasn't sufferring the same way he was with this.

Edited by EchoingPewter

"So two hundred once he's returned, and, your original offer after that?" The only thing concerning her now was why. She didn't think her safety would matter this much to mercenaries. She didn't have enough gold to be valued that much. Was it the emblem she had? Did they know about that? She had to wonder what if anything he knew about it, but didn't want to come straight out and ask him. "That's acceptable ... but why? Why are you interested in helping me like this? I'm just a merchant's daughter after all."

As the young girl Seina alerted the guards, he lifted his head off the ground and gasped. Quickly getting up he revealed his knife and looked at the girl. Amon looked up and made the first movements one would expect from someone aiming to get on their feet. He didn't have an escape route and even with the girl as a hostage he could easily be taken down by a well placed arrow. He only had one choice left.

"You will all regret crossing us. ALL OF YOU!" Before he could be stopped, he drove the knife across his throat as deeply as he could slitting his throat wide open. As he fell to the ground Amon stood up but couldn't do much else. The man was already gone. Seina was a bit too close to the man's body though.

"My motives behind this is mostly through suspiscious acquisations. You have something on you that is very important. I don't know what it is, perhaps my other members have noticed it. Either way, it brought chaos around itself in a matter of mere minutes. The docked ship, the robed men, your father, and Ariost's small interaction with me saying you were worth speaking to. All of these definitely add up somehow, so I'm willing to go to some extremes if I must to ensure that item does not fall into the hands of someone that could destroy my homeland. And, to be blunt, minorly, yourself."

Wolfgang sheathed his sword once he was done, being certain no one of ill intent was around now. He said everything, and he'd hoped only Raquel heard this. It was probably wise to have as little people know about whatever she was hiding as possible.

~~~~

"Wallace." Ariost appeared from the darkness once again next to Gromit. Wallace looked over at the man, he seemed to be doing better.

"What is it?" Wallace asked.

"One of the dark avians approaches...he will catch up to us by nightfall if we remain here. I want you to express this to Wolfgang and see if you can meet him halfway. His trek has likely been...tiring." Ariost considered.

"Hm, I can't help but think Janaff figured he would be a quicker messanger than the network. This is urgent. I will adress the boss as soon as he finishes speaking with Raquel." Wallace responded with a nod. Ariost's robe vibrated on his body, and the darkness consumed him before he vanished again. Wallace couldn't help but notice he let out a curse to his headache.

Hm, seems he's still in pain from that stress earlier.

~~~~

"I hope everything works out well." Karene stated as Hans stood next to her.

"Don't you worry, the chief's good at negotiating. Heck, how do you think he got me away from nabbing potatos to work with you guys!?" Hans said with unnecessary excitement.

"Yes yes Hans, I remember." Karene said, not managing to hold in her giggle at Hans' overexuberant behavior.

"I just hope nothing big arises. Although, travelling with Wolfgang, that's never something you can wish for." Karene added.

"Must've been why you said hope." Hans replied.

"You're catching on, Hans." Karene said with a smile.

Edited by EchoingPewter

So he did know something though it didn't appear to be any more than she knew about the emblem. Not as enlightening as she would have liked, but at least she could better gauge the man's motives now. She was still surprised that he cared enough to protect her as well, and not simply protect her only as a means of safeguarding the emblem she was carrying.

"Okay then. I accept your offer, Sir ... Sir um ... what's your name?"

"Wolfgang." The man replied strongly. He figured stating his mercenary band wouldn't be of any use here if his name didn't trigger any notion of who he was. He didn't care if someone didn't know of his band anyways, all they needed to know-or would find out-is that they were in capable hands.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I wish to speak with the other members I brought along with me." Wolfgang stated, giving a small bow before heading over to Wallace.

"Wallace, can you tell me what you've seen while I was away?" Wolfgang asked.

"Yes, and then, there is something Ariost has informed me of. After you left..." Wallace briefly explained the events that occurred while he was in another part of the city. Wolfgang took in everything, thanking him once he'd finished.

"Excellent. That helps a lot. Now, what did Ariost have to say?" Wolfgang asked.

"He said that one of the dark avians was coming to meet with us. I believe it is Janaff coming to deliver an urgent message. He's suggested I go to meet him half of the way tonight, then return before dawn breaks tomorrow. By then, we can make out what orders you decide best, and not arouse concern as well." Wallace informed his leader.

"This is urgent if it's Janaff. Take off, meet with him, then have him return to Okha. After you relay the message to me, I will discuss what must be done with all of you." Wolfgang said.

"When you're clear to leave, get going." Wolfgang ordered.

"Right." And with a salute, Wallace proceeded to look back over to the guards, feeling his patience beginning to wane now with his new order.

Wolfgang figured to let Karene and Hans do as they wished around town for now. They would return when a course of action was decided.

"So Raquel, what is your next course of action?" Wolfgang asked upon returning to his new employer.

OOC: There you go, Cynthia.

Edited by EchoingPewter