Return of The Emblem Chapter One: The Artifact

Phoenix

Seina turned her head just in time to see the man getting up, in her surprise took a few steps back, afraid that the man would kill her without any hesitation, but was surprised as the man started hollering his final messages, all she knew was that she didn't want to be anywhere near the man. Turning around she ran as far away from the man as she could, She couldn't hear the man anymore if he was still preaching, any gurgling noises the man might of made were blocked out by her thumping heart.

Have to get away, have to get away

She didn't know where she was going but she wasn't going to stick around to think about, the sooner she was away from these dead bodies and guards the better, and some shiny armored man wasn't going to stop her.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm, thank you Ezio." The captain was so busy listening to Ezio that he did not notice the living robed man until he shouted that they'll never take him alive. The captain rushed over, but the man had already died by the time he got there. He saw a young girl leave the scene, likely a passerby horrified by the act of self-violence.

"Well, at least you all are proving more cooperative. The violent behavior of these robed men would match up with the attack some of them launched on us as we arrived here. And Ezio's story seems to corroborate that of the merchant and the pirate girl." the captain said.

"I know how to handle a simple tome." the guard said, somewhat offended. "And it makes little sense for that pantsless man to lead the attack, he was dead before we even saw any robed figures, and he wasn't wearing a robe himself. And you're saying a monkey killed him with a gun? That doesn't seem very likely." the guard said, looking at Daloth sternly.

Edited by -Cynthia-

With the danger passing, Nanahm really didn't have much to do or say. Truthfully, he didn't care all that much either so long as he wasn't hampered in some way. He simply did as the guards had ordered so as to not cause a ruckus. It certainly wouldn't look good for him to be all obstinate over nothing all of a sudden, unlike that mage over there who seemed to have some sort of crazy attachment to his book. Plus there's the chance it'd make his employer look worse somehow, and that was never good for a wallet. Nope, no reason to disobey.

"It might not be true, but my version of history doesn't have me almost getting killed by him over a series of seemingly stupid accidents leading up to a raunchy conclusion. And I don't care if you think you know how to handle a tome. I don't care if your name is Tomey McHandler. I'm not giving this tome up. It's too valuable to me to risk someone I don't trust with my life holding."

Having cooperated with the guards, who seemed reasonable enough. However, one man, a man holding out a tome was giving a nearby guard trouble. Sighing to himself, he slipped over to him, gazing hard at the magician.

"You know mage, it would be best if you cooperate with these guards over here. There should be no reason why you cannot give this tome to them. Hell, it looks like they can't even use it. You're looking nearly as suspicious as those cloaked men we fought."

Speaking of the cloaked men. One of the men who attacked who was apparently not dead nearby had risen up and taken his own life. He shrugged, figuring that there was definitely another way of getting to the bottom of this, and that was heading towards the docks.

"Sir guards, it would be best if you head to the docks to investigate the disturbance there correct? Who knows whatever they're doing there."

Upon looking at the surrounding people the red haired woman from earlier caught his eye. She seemed a little familiar, like he had seen her before in Neviskotia. Anyway, introductions were in order. The pirate girl had told the story to the guards, so he might as well head to the docks.

"Of course we could always go ourselves. Or just me alone!" he called out, edging near his wyvern. "Assuming of course, I'm allowed my lance back."

"I don't want to give my tome up! Maybe someone like you, toting around a worthless piece of lumber with a point tip on the end, might not see what the big deal is; but this tome is precious to me. Like a locket from a dead lover. Even if the guard feels he can handle it, it's not something I'm willing to let him handle. Something I'm not willing to let anyone else here handle either."

"Oy, what an imbicile! If the brig's where ye want t' sleep, then keep ignoring what the authority says, blowhard," Gytha huffed at the mage, "I've some pleanty sentimentally valuable items an' no harm came to 'em. Just an inspection. Are ye touched in the head, ye magic-slingn' landlubber?" The sooner he cooperated, the sooner she could find a place to rest for the night, apparently, having not been dismissed from the guards' request to stay in the area. Both she and her cat ignored the suicide. Didn't matter if the man lived or died, really. He was an enemy and not likely to get away.

I'll have to see about my own neck she thought, paying mind to the welt on the side of her neck. Then, shrugging it off, Eh, it'll heal. Though it does smart a mite.

"Fine, just open up the tome and show me all the contents. And for the record, my lance is not made out of wood." the guard said, sighing in exasperation. "Telling untruths to guards is perjury you know, especially in a criminal investigation involving multiple murders." the guard said.

Veronika complied with the possessions search and stayed silent. She figured she would discuss the matter of the emblem with the merchant woman once the guards had left the area.

"How ironic, a pirate lass telling me to obey the law." snapped back Daloth, a noticeable scowl on his face as his teeth gritted together. He did not want to give up his tome. It was as simple as that. He didn't care what the reason was, to let it out of his sight was abhorrent. Still, the girl had a point. Refusal would likely result in him being jailed, and the tome taken from him then anyways. Even if he lost the tome for good, would it be any different than if he was carted off? Minus the jail cell? His grip upon the tone loosened for a moment.

"Fine. You can have it. But I warn you. If I find out that you use it for a goblet coaster, I will come back to kill you. If you kill me, then my ghost will come back to kill you. If you hire a priest... Ummm... I'll find some way to kill you still." he said, finally offering the tome.

As Seina ran off past everyone, Amon watched somewhat surprised, and somewhat not surprised. She was able to function during the fight with all of the carnage present, but that one gruesome act of suicide seemed to overwhelm and frighten her. He hadn't been checked just yet however so he stayed put. He assumed that would probably be the last he saw of her. Looking down at his still shining trinket, he wondered how close the thing he was seeking was. It had to either be in the wagon itself, or that merchant that half the people present were defending. He was beginning to think it was indeed the latter.

When Wolfgang asked her what she planned to do next, Raquel placed a finger on her chin and began explaining her thoughts and plans. "Well they have an advantage holding my father captive, and I don't know where they left to. They could forgo using my father and attack again, or they could use him as a ransom. Since I can't track them down and hit them wherever they operate, that makes the next move theirs I guess."

With that in mind it was probably a good idea to have protection. That would force them to go the ransom route and give them a bit of a chance to rescue her father. Possibly. "I'm not sure how long it's going to take them to contact me though ... if they ever do." she said sounding a bit worried. "Regardless we may have to fight again. Do you have anyone who specializes at healing with you right now? If not I may need to try and convince one or two from around here to come along ... somehow."

"Threatening officers of the law is also a criminal offense you know." the guard said lazily, taking the tome. He quickly flipped through the pages. "Nothing particularly noteworthy." the guard said. "Your inability to tell the truth in a criminal investigation however, is a more serious matter. I think we are going to have to take you away for further questioning." the guard said, calling one of his fellows over. "Resisting arrest is also a crime, in case you didn't know."

"Please do not tell us how to do our jobs citizen." the captain responded to Domovoi. "Still, there appears to be insufficient evidence to hold you here, so you are all free to go, except the mage. I suggest you all leave Sergio Port soon, your arrival seems to have caused a lot of problems." the captain said, giving Raquel a look. Everyone's possessions were returned to them.

Edited by -Cynthia-

All of us free to go eh? And they'd rather we leave Sergio Port hmm? This should be interesting to report to Sir Aleks. Black robed figures targeting a merchant and his daughter? He might no something about these cloaked figures. At the very least, the fact they caused an explosion there should arouse mild interest. Domovoi reflected to himself.

Edited by Dark Sage

The instant the guard said they were all free to go, Wallace kicked Gromit into action. The wyvern shot into the air quickly before anyone could say more to him, the speed causing a swift gust around the nearby area. Wolfgang tightened his scarf as he watched Wallace fade into the distance.

"And that's why I wear this scarf now..." Wolfgang muttered to himself, then turning back around to Raquel.

"No, I do not have someone capable of healing with me. Unfortunately the only healers I have are stationed back in Okha, and our chaplain's with another comrade in Kigen right now. It would not hurt to hire more if you are concerned about that issue." Wolfgang suggested before turning his head to watch what the sorry tale mage was going to do. This certainly didn't seem to be going well for him, and Wolfgang wanted some entertainment while he waited for Raquel to say something else.

"Holy shit, an explosion. Better check it out!" Jack said to himself, once again hauling himself up from the bar. One glance around the tavern showed that, as luck would have it, the rich guy and the healer girl were thinking what he was thinking. As if that weren't convenient enough, the dead guy also seemed to have changed tacks and decided to be a bit more friendly. It was almost like events were conspiring to become interesting and flow in Jack's favor, he thought. He offered and, if wanted, gave the dead guy any assistance that he might have needed, then ran off (or rather, ran as best as he could in his armor) towards the commotion, possibly accompanied by dead guy and healer girl, depending on what those characters decide to do.

Arriving outside and moving towards the docks, Jack talked to various random people along the way, asking what all was going on. Apparently a ship had exploded or something, which was great news, because it meant jobs for people like him. A ship of the line, attacked and destroyed in an Ursian port, with neither the guards nor the ship's crew being able to stop it, or even knowing how it had happened? Everywhere people whispered about devious Neviskotian saboteurs and spies; people would be feeling afraid and insecure, meaning they'd want to hire mercs to watch their backs, give an extra boost to the defenses of their ships or caravans. There were more than a few who predicted that another war was well on its way, and that would be even better for Jack, as wars were like candy shops for mercs.

He was also able to gather that, at the moment, there was some kind of big hubbub in the marketplace. Something something robed guys something, was the gist of it. Better check it out! Jack arrived in the marketplace and quickly came upon a huge knot of people who were in some kind of situation; they weren't hard to find, all he had to do was follow the stream of interested, curious citizens who were trying to get a look at whatever was happening. Judging by the copious number of bodies on the ground, all of them robed, it looked like these people had caught up with the dastardly Neviskotian spies who had blown up the ship. Shadowy cloaks and quarterstaffs? These guys fit the bill for ninja saboteurs, down pat. Jack arrived just as the guards were getting finished with whatever it was they were doing here, probably congratulating this motley group of people for their service to Sergio Port. At first he wondered who this strange group of people could be--they seemed to hail from every nation, with all kinds of different builds and fighting styles accounted for. However, as he looked a bit more closely, he recognized a few key people here and figured it out.

That guy, Jack knew, was the leader of the Grandzenschtraum mercenaries! Holy shit! The Grandzenschtraum mercenaries were well known for being badasses and the envy of sellswords the world over, or at least, Jack had heard such tales from a few of the guys he'd traveled with. Granted, he had traveled with a lot of drunks and idiots, so it was hard to tell when something was real and when it was just a story; but he had to admit, any group which had that many syllables in its name was probably going to be a bunch of badasses. The stories said that they had a wyvern rider whose mount was so fearsome that it was often mistaken for a dragon, and that they traveled with a druid whose knowledge and intellect outstripped even that of the greatest sages, and so forth and so on. No wonder these people had so effortlessly beat down a bunch of no doubt very skilled opponents, they were the Grandzenschtraum mercenaries. Jack could feel it in his bones, his luck was turning around!

After taking a few moments to muster up some courage, he approached a woman with long blonde hair and a fellow with messy, strawberry blonde hair. He'd probably be rejected, but it wasn't like he had anything to lose, and he'd never forgive himself if he missed a chance to work with the Grandzenschtraum mercenaries.

"Excuse me, I know you're likely quite busy, but I noticed that you have a fairly large mercenary troupe assembled here and I feel the need to make you a humble offer. I myself am also a mercenary, put out of work recently and searching for a new employer. I know that you likely have no need of me, but still, if you would be so kind as to accept it, I would offer my lance to your will," Jack said, standing up straight and putting on his best honorable-soldier attitude, a look he'd mastered back when he was in the Ursian army.

Suddenly an idea came to her. Wolfgang had mentioned becoming a customer earlier. She couldn't afford to hire a bunch of mercenaries without going into their emergency funds. Of course while the current situation constituted an emergency to her, she knew it wouldn't sit well with her father if it was the first thing she thought of and nothing else was considered. There was another option that would potentially help their business though. She needed to figure out how to sell them on it though.

"You said you would be a customer, correct? Do you think if I offer these people really good deals on our wares they would help out?" she asked seeking a bit of insight from the man. "I would need to restock from time to time if this takes too long I guess but my father had a bunch of notes and manuals I could read up on in the meantime." Though I should have been reading them already. Now it's too important for me to be slacking off.

"I told you what I saw already. You're the one that called me a liar. I may not have seen the truth, and I may have seen it. I only told you what it is that I saw. I don't think you can arrest someone for not seeing a crime scene perfectly."

"Perhaps that would work. Coupling that with your reasoning as to why you will need the help can't hurt your chances by any. Be willing to negotiate lower, so start with a small discount if need be. And yes, we will be conducting business with you before other merchants as well while protecting you." Wolfgang answered before chuckling at the mage's reaction. If he was in that position, he would've booked it. No way in hell he'd let Ursium arrest him. But not being used to being aligned as criminals sometimes, the mage might not have the train of thought a mercenary would.

~~~~

"Well, buddy, you're certainly determined. I like that! What do ya say, Karene? Wolfgang's always looking for new members, inn'he?" Hans said, a smile protruding from his lips as he acknowledged the man before the two first. Karene gave the man a smile, this was fortunate.

"Please, don't worry about formalities, young man. We're mercenaries after all, not the military." Karene said softly. She foled her arms underneath her chest, looking over to Hans.

"So, you think he can cut it, Hans? Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what he's got. Alright, go speak with Wolfgang, say that I have recommended you. I'm Karene." The woman said, soon lifting her arm to point at their leader.

"You likely already know him with that kind of reaction, but that's him over there, with the girl at the wagon." She stated.

"Look here mage, what I asked you to do is tell the truth and what I got was that a pantsless fisherman led these robed guys, who was then shot by a monkey. Add that to your lack of cooperation regarding your tome and your insults and threats towards officers of the law, and this all comes off as very suspicious. You yourself admitted that your version of the history might not be true. What are you hiding?" the guard asked Daloth.

Veronika approached Raquel, who appeared to be going on about item prices or something. "Excuse me, is that medallion you have really the Fire Emblem?" she asked the merchant. "Where did you get such a thing?"

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Okay then, I'll do that and hopefully we can get at least one healer out of the deal." she replied sounding much more optimistic this time around. Before she could say anything else however, one of the people that had participated in the battle asked her about the emblem she carried. She was a bit startled to think that it was possibly that; The Emblem. She didn't want to consider that possibility since she would expect something ... slightly bigger. She wasn't sure if she could trust the woman but she already seemed to have overheard some things regardless.

Keeping her voice low she said "I really doubt this is that emblem. I mean sure it glows really brightly sometimes but still. The Fire Emblem was said to have been used to create everything on the earth. I mean 'WHOA' if this little thing is it. I found it while traveling with my father. Kind of half buried but glowing bright enough for me to see it so I dug it out and kept it."

Veronika kept her voice low to match the merchant's. "But those men thought this was the Emblem correct? There must be some connection. Though I have to admit, it does seem a little...small to be such a legendary object." she said, looking closely at the medallion. It does glow, which is rather unusual. The Fire Emblem may not exist at all really, but the fact that those men thought this was the Emblem may be enough.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Keeping her voice low she continued. "Well I'm not sure if they were after "The Fire Emblem" or just some really powerful object, but it does make a lot more sense if they're willing to blow a ship in half ... though I'm not entirely sure they did. I'm just guessing that since they attacked us right after it went down and the guards were distracted. It makes sense to me at least."

She began wondering if it was the fire emblem. She was also wondering how she could possibly harness whatever power it had. Of course it seemed to be mostly inactive. If there was power in it, there probably was little to none left. If it was finite, then that may have been explainable. At the moment she wasn't sure what to think so she decided to ask Veronika a question of her own. "So why are you here, anyway? Are you looking for the fire emblem yourself?"

Gytha nearly walked up to the mage and stuffed her fist in his gut right then and there. However, she had to restrain herself and calm down seeing as the guards were right there. Blast it all! If I had to work with that long-winded, brine-for-brains, self-important scum, I'd pick a night to murder 'im and toss his sorry carcas to let Seamore Johns chain 'im to the darkest, deepest corner of his locker!

After she'd fumed to herself for a while, Gytha approched the merchant from before. "When ye get a moment, lass, I'd like to complete the purchase I started earlier," she interjected before shooting Wolfgang a sharp, annoyed glance. Maw was still following after Gytha with fishbones in mouth but if anyone got too close for comfort, she would claw at him or her.

Edited by Mercakete

Could that really be the Fire Emblem? The Fire Emblem? Wolfgang figured it could certainly be a possibility, but what's the chance of someone finding it after such a long time of its supposed disappearance in the legends? That made this contract all the more necessary. If those robed men knew this was indeed, the Fire Emblem, then that was a big issue. Even if it wasn't the Fire Emblem by some chance, the artifact was still powerful enough to be targetted.

Once Gytha came over his interest in the conversation suddenly dwindled. He didn't want to say anything with her around.

"I believe this topic will need to wait for another time, ladies." Wolfgang stated, steping aside so that Gytha could conduct her business. Her annoyed glance did nothing but show her immaturity to him. He shrugged it off and decided to continue watching the mage and guards' interactions.

With her spear returned to her, Jeanne suppressed a sigh as she held Megaera's reigns. Those of Ursium's middle class and above, these guards included, were always likely to give her spiteful looks. Owning a Pegasus without being an official knight led to many wondering about how she had obtained it. It really was no more than a fluke, and a legal one at that. Though it's not as if she'd bother telling anyone about it.

It's amazing what a large group of armed strangers can do. Jeanne found herself thinking, further concealing her armor with her cloak. Before she could even get Megaera's lazy body moving, the assailants were defeated. It amused her, but this presumably did nothing for her image. She would need to work even harder to make herself valuable in Veronika's eyes. Great.

And speaking of, she noticed said employer speaking with another woman about...something that seemed important. Jeanne wasn't one to eavesdrop. And admittedly, she didn't care too much about Veronika's objectives either. "Explosions and guards. Can't say this is the typical job," Jeanne found herself saying to Nanahm. He seemed like the typical mercenary to her, but at least she could talk to someone she could identify with, to an extent.